Why doesn't Holla Forums use FreeBSD?

Since FreeBSD is dying and isn't known by many normies, shouldn't it be the ideal system that /tech uses?

> No SJWs. There was one, but that land whale has been laughed out of existence

Install FreeBSD 10.3 today!

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
wiki.freebsd.org/GPLinBase
web.archive.org/web/20150719075240/https://www.freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
web.archive.org/web/20150416060311/http://blog.anthrobsd.net/046.html
devuan.org/
wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html
wiki.debian.org/CheckInstall
poal.me/mztn2u
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html.en#ReleaseUnderGPLAndNF
bsddesktop.com/images/
hardenedbsd.org/
freshports.org/
freshports.org/backend/news.php
github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD
pastebin.com/raw/UWffBQbn:
twitter.com/AnonBabble

kill yourself back to reddit
also

MUH GAMEZ!

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

Looks normal enough for any serious community project.

I don't see anything in there about taking positions of minorities over those with privilege or anything nonsensical like that. It doesn't even include the word "diversity".

fuck off retard

No use on desktop and developers are usually macfags. Use OpenBSD or Dragonfly. They have interesting features for other platforms too.

Just because she calls herself FreeBSD girl doesn't mean she diminished FreeBSD. If she called herself 8chnGIRL would that make this place any worse than it is? No. Because you can't make Holla Forums worse than it is

It's dying for a good reason. Just look at this page it's pathetic;

wiki.freebsd.org/GPLinBase

When this page has only entries in the completed section is when I'll start to respect it. It ought to be called GNU/FreeBSD, it's no small wonder rms felt as if he could go into their mailing list and tell them off.

It's not about her nick you cuck.

What is it then moron? Because she's not a core developer, never was, and no one ever took her seriously.

She'll probably latch onto Ubuntu or Arch at some point.

i personally prefer gnu

people that use the "rms is a fascist" meme don't understand that anarchy is not freedom

I doubt that. She hates Loonix as you systemd. Nothing technical, just policy and the usual bullshit.

To be honest I know nothing about her, other than that she's an attention whore with zero technical ability.

Another massive plus I forgot to add for FreeBSD, wonderful documentation. I don't think even Redhat or SUSE come close.

I think they call him a filthy communist, not a fascist.

Shitty hardware support. The developers are macfags. Why doesn't Holla Forums use OpenBSD? They are dogfooding their stuff.

Try resizing you partitions.

Absolutely haram according to Theo de Raadt.

launchD is comming.

Install Gentoo or Void Linux.

They need a coc to state the obvious. If developers and the benevolent dictators like Linus and Theo can use insults, they get better code.

They don't support the small architectures anymore without gcc.

rtfmp.

This site is excellent you newfag cuck

You're ignoring a very important part that was removed

web.archive.org/web/20150719075240/https://www.freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

Back in the mid 2000's her live journal was full of praise about the FLOSS community and how the women who said otherwise were generally full of shit about the supposed harassment and persecution they faced. She wasn't a highly respected member of the community but she was part of it nonetheless. FreeBSD did the right thing getting rid of her when they did but she'll always tarnish their brand by association, that they had to threaten to get their lawyers involved goes to show how much they wanted this scam artist out.

Kinda hard to see something removed at first glance, but ok, that is very strange.

What's the best option out there then or a meritocratic open source system?

So Linux three years ago?

Well you don't have to use ZFS, but it is there if you want it, and of course that means knowing the pros and cons. For the things ZFS is typically used for, you're not going to be resizing partitions anyways.

In terms of drivers that's certainly true. They only recently gained support for haswell iGPUs

*video drivers.

I happen to like systemd, but if I didn't, I could just uninstall it. I tried that for a few weeks just to see if the Debian situation was as terrible as people said, and it didn't give me any problems. You're bragging that your operating system doesn't support certain software. People are working hard on porting OS X's XML-based init system to FreeBSD, though. Linux doesn't have that.

Not relevant for me, because ZFS uses more resources than I'm willing to dedicate to a filesystem, but you can use it on Linux nowadays.

That's a bad comparison. Docker is software that builds on Linux containers to provide functionality that partially overlaps with jails. Either way, what makes jails better than Linux containers?

Lots of Linux distros offer this.

Lots of Linux distros offer this.

I don't plan on doing anything with my system that would violate the GPL. This is an advantage for Sony, because they do want to make proprietary systems based on BSD code, but I don't. For most users it just means that the base system is even more restricted than the average freetard distro.

I do.

Good luck with that on most distros.

It's easy on Debian, the first search result for "systemd-infested".

I got to admit that the FreeBSD handbook and The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System are pretty good and extensive. OpenBSD has the best manpages. Linux has more users, the probability that someone else has already encountered your problem or bug is pretty high. And every big Linux distro has an extensive wiki.

Linux does have more users, but those users are often quite unintelligent so they clutter up a lot of technical discussions. That said, the users that the BSDs command is pretty pitiful.

Yeah. But having to go online should be the last option. I really hate it when the program only provides "This is vaguely what the program does and visit this page for any actually useful information" man page and and changelog.gz copyright in /usr/share/doc.

addition to
Though that's more common with libraries. Too common.

Their CoC was a battleground for years, eventually they capitulated to people like this

web.archive.org/web/20150416060311/http://blog.anthrobsd.net/046.html

At the time that was posted it caused quite a stir. Within a year or two hundreds of major FLOSS projects were forced by a small very well connected and funded group of people to change or adopt a CoC that they approve of. There's evidence that it's part of a D&C campaign by western intelligence agencies, ESR has spoken out against some of their tactics. Within this same time period many of the most well known FLOSS projects focused on internet security and anonymity that have ties to this group in their leadership spoke out in unison against the supposed monumental increase cyberbullying and harassment targeted at women that seemingly came out of nowhere.

This war over the soul of what FLOSS stands for is only getting started. FreeBSD should be considered a casualty.

What other options are there though? As someone building a server that'll mostly be used as a NAS, ZFS and btrfs are very attractive. For good btrfs, OpenSUSE is one distro I really like, but I'm sure someone could find an example of where a SJW got onboard the project, or they put up some CoC that caused a dispute.

I just feel there are not many alternatives, and it seems silly to dispel good software based on peripheral politics.

Because it's a shitty meme and there are better OSes to use.

Debian tries to be the easiest systemd-by-default distro to remove systemd from, because a very large portion of their community would have abandoned it otherwise. It's still difficult to keep systemd free because of systemd eating up other important components, which require you to keep some of systemd installed, and because a lot of popular software is compiled expecting systemd so it can't be used as-is properly without it (and pulls it in as a dependency). If you take almost any other systemd-by-default distro and try removing systemd, you're going to have a much harder time and run into many more problems.

If Debian was as easy to remove systemd from as its developers make it seem, Devuan would not exist.

That's true. The thing is that if I cared enough about systemd to switch to another operating system for it, I wouldn't have to, because there are distros that work well without it. I could even manage while staying on the same distro.

Wow what a great technical comment. I hope you continue to enrich the community with your wisdom.

You are delusional.
Even pulse-audio is hard enough to get rid off and is gaining ground on Slackware
On majority of distros, if you try to uninstall systemdicks you'll have a dumped core even if you have init readied
This is an undeniable fact

devuan.org/

First time I've heard of that so far.

Is OpenBSD really any better for hardware support? They seem like a much smaller distro so that seems counterintuitive.

It's the dogfooding as mentioned. The devs run OpenBSD on the their thinkpads. Their fork of xorg is part of the OS. The clean code leads to much less errors. Of course they have the same limitations as all BSDs, never unplug an USB flash storage without unmouting them or you'll get a kernel panic. And firefox has become nearly unusable, but that's Mozilla to blame, because of the unoptimized and bloated code.

Nothing happened here. Maybe amd(8) related shit.

At least don't crash as much as Chromium.

FTFY
Everything else is correct.

drivers are useful for a lot of things other than playing videogames, though

Yeah I was just being condescending to the guy I replied to. The lack of drivers is pretty serious, and when you look into it, you'll find out that something as important as getting intel graphics working is all down to one guy.

In theory I love FreeBSD, but in practise (work) it is a hard sell against linux. For a laptop, I'd run Linux over FreeBSD anyway, although I don't have that problem as I'm a self avowed macfag.

BSD is shit-tier
GNU-Linux is god-tier

No you can't, you imbecile. Not unless you plan on destroying every existing copy of FreeBSD.

Let me dumb it down for you. You get the works of others for free, like you would do with any GPL'd software. Then you add botnet features, close the code and add a shitty EULA license. Done! You have taken away users' rights and freedoms!

Technically BSD gives you the freedom to remove freedom. That's just how free it is. Personally I wish we were not wasting efforts by duplicating man hours into making identical programs just to fit some preferred licensing scheme.

Elaborate.

No you have not. You have created a shitty copy of FreeBSD with worse license that no one uses.

PS4, OS X, maybe Micro&soft. Shitty licensed sw and bunch of people use them. Still no support for muh Radeon. Anyway "MIT" is more popular than BSD and still corporate/Ballmer friendly.

All these faggots not using OpenIndiana.

I'll have to check that out, Chris.

No they didn't, they use the hardware (which is locked down), PS4 could run symbian and the player will still use it because it's the only OS for the hardware.

If it wasn't for the business friendly license they'll just write their own os to run on, the result will be similar but only less secure.

So you rather everyone else have no security than having a middle ground?

Because Devuan, Void and OpenBSD exist

I use FreeBSD, it just werks. That being said I'm perfectly willing to try OpenBSD the next time I set up a computer.
With rms not following the unix philosophy and gnu being a major part of linux it's no wonder so many people are happier with *BSD.

An OS without ASLR in fucking 2016. It's not dying, it's dead.

Use NetBSD, it runs on computers that are older than you and has pkgsrc.

But it's still not taking away anyone's freedoms. It only gives people the freedom to use some proprietary shitware in addition to freedoms which they already have (freedom to run/modify/do stuff with FreeBSD). The users had some freedoms and now they have one freedom more, not less. You're using feminist level logic here, nobody's falling for that.

Is there any reason to use FreeBSD when NetBSD and OpenBSD exist?

Well what you expect from CUCK-license folk. The whole FSF is filled with SJW and communists shills whose only purpose is spread their marxists rhetoric everywhere. Hell you can see it from there where CoC is introduced to every project. Instead of making shit work these marxists-feminists just are intrested on their gender politics. Also the whole ecosystem if filled with those shits. Hell even Linus Tornvalds dad Nils is well known stalinists from his youth who now worships sweden style muslimic radicalism and genocide of white people.

FreeBSD seems to have the most momentum. I know OpenBSD is praised for security, but I don't know the rationale for choosing NetBSD or DragonflyBSD (forked from Free). I am sure they are both fun projects to hack on, but beyond that I am unsure.

NetBSD is solid *NIX. It has clean codebas and execelent documentation. Also rumkernel and other more experimental shit happends there probably academic cave dwellers use it a lot.

Anyway even thought OpenBSD is marketed as being secure the more correct term would be calling it small clean code base with lots of eyes exactly like NetBSD. NetBSD markets the exact same thing as "portable".

Personally I use at desktop currently FreeBSD and OpenBSD but I have used in the past NetBSD too as an desktop. There is literally nothing wrong to choose NetBSD personally I liked it

Doesn't NetBSD's portability come from lots of low-level abstraction besides just a small codebase?

Yes

How does Theo's cock taste, OpenBSDfag?

Dragon has HAMMER, and few other nifty features.

He's just too alpha for you.

Maybe she used to be...

Sorry, I need steam to play defense of the assmobas :^)

she's probably shopped in

Sad!

Nah, that's some Tier 1 MILF pussy. 10/10 would impregnate repeatedly.

for you

don't you mean, darwin bsd fag.

who's taking the photos? their son?

At this point that's a pointless advantage.
Let me explain why,
SJWs
SJWs
SJWs
SJWs
SJWs
SJWS
SJWs
SJWs
SJWs
SJWs
SJWs

you repeated the GNU coreutils two times.
linus is far from a SJW
yeah, sure.
who gives a shit. you don't have to communicate with 300k people at a time, do you?
?

You can use the coreutils standalone on BSD.
If other people can make my software proprietary that takes the freedom to distribute it away from my users.

No, but it sure helps when something gets broken and i can help others and they can help me.

That just has no effort in it at all. You can do better.

no it doesn't. they can still do it.
GPL introduces more restriction, hence is less free.
do what the fuck you want: free
do what the fuck you want, but-: less free

fucking brilliant, and subtle enough normalfags won't get it

who the fuck would want to use GNU shitware.

explain it to me, ``kudasai''!

First one to talk gets to stay on my board!

I wrote you a poem:

Or perhaps he's wondering why someone would fix a bug, before throwing it out of base.

Wiseguy, huh?

Dad

Nice left arm.

Perhapsh he is wondering why you would make an observation, without explaining it

That's what I had to work with.

But that's not Wilson's pose. If you do it, do it right.

No, thank you. I'd rather get a real UNIX.

Like what? *BSD is probably the most closely related to UNIX we have.

Depends on the BSD. NetBSD is probably the most Unix-y here.

Surely, you jest!

BSD split from the Research UNIX mainline quite early, which resulted in several notable differences.

On the other hand, HP-UX, AIX, and Solaris are direct descendants of System III and V, which are basically commercial versions of Research UNIX.

If you want to get as close to UNIX as possible, I suggest Open Indiana -- a free-as-in-freedom fork of Solaris.

forgot the image

Mate, UNIX means either BSD (not *BSD) or System V in the general context, not Bell Labs' UNIX only.
Anyway, let's be honest, if it's POSIX, it's okay.

Whoops

->

UNIX is the trademark, currently owned by The Open Group and given to systems certified by its Single UNIX Specification (AIX, HP-UX, K-UX, OS X, Solaris).

Unix is the general name of the OS family.

Also, between BSD and SysV, it's SysV that's closer to the original UNIX. BSD has had a colorful history of academic research separate from that in Bell Labs or AT&T, and it is mostly a bastard child that Bell Labs had with Berkeley.

In any other circumstance, that would be true. But this whole thread is about nitpicking, so fuck you.

How is the hardware compatibility with OpenIndiana?

Frozen five years ago, like general development of that operating system.

Does FreeBSD finally support Radeon HD8000 series? I'd like to try it on my laptop but couldn't find any up-to-date info on graphics compatibility. Honest question, really.

Not if this is anything to go buy. wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

I guess you would have to search their mailing list to see if there is any effort to get there.

Taken from -current man radeon
RADEON(4x) RADEON(4x)

NAME
radeon - ATI/AMD RADEON video driver

SYNOPSIS
Section "Device"
Identifier "devname"
Driver "radeon"
EndSection

DESCRIPTION
radeon is an Xorg driver for ATI/AMD RADEON-based video cards with the
following features:

o Full support for 8-, 15-, 16- and 24-bit pixel depths;
o RandR 1.2 and RandR 1.3 support;
o Full EXA 2D acceleration;
o Textured XVideo acceleration including anti-tearing support (Bicubic
filtering only available on R/RV3xx, R/RV/RS4xx, R/RV5xx, and
RS6xx/RS740);
o 3D acceleration;

SUPPORTED HARDWARE
The radeon driver supports PCI, AGP, and PCIe video cards based on the
following ATI/AMD chips (note: list is non-exhaustive):

R100 Radeon 7200
RV100 Radeon 7000(VE), M6, RN50/ES1000
RS100 Radeon IGP320(M)
RV200 Radeon 7500, M7, FireGL 7800
RS200 Radeon IGP330(M)/IGP340(M)
RS250 Radeon Mobility 7000 IGP
R200 Radeon 8500, 9100, FireGL 8800/8700
RV250 Radeon 9000PRO/9000, M9
RV280 Radeon 9200PRO/9200/9200SE/9250, M9+
RS300 Radeon 9100 IGP
RS350 Radeon 9200 IGP
RS400/RS480 Radeon XPRESS 200(M)/1100 IGP
R300 Radeon 9700PRO/9700/9500PRO/9500/9600TX, FireGL X1/Z1
R350 Radeon 9800PRO/9800SE/9800, FireGL X2
R360 Radeon 9800XT
RV350 Radeon 9600PRO/9600SE/9600/9550, M10/M11, FireGL T2
RV360 Radeon 9600XT
RV370 Radeon X300, M22
RV380 Radeon X600, M24
RV410 Radeon X700, M26 PCIe
R420 Radeon X800 AGP
R423/R430 Radeon X800, M28 PCIe
R480/R481 Radeon X850 PCIe/AGP
RV505/RV515/RV516/RV550
Radeon X1300/X1400/X1500/X1550/X2300
R520 Radeon X1800
RV530/RV560 Radeon X1600/X1650/X1700
RV570/R580 Radeon X1900/X1950
RS600/RS690/RS740
Radeon X1200/X1250/X2100
R600 Radeon HD 2900
RV610/RV630 Radeon HD 2400/2600/2700/4200/4225/4250
RV620/RV635 Radeon HD 3410/3430/3450/3470/3650/3670
RV670 Radeon HD 3690/3850/3870
RS780/RS880 Radeon HD 3100/3200/3300/4100/4200/4250/4290
RV710/RV730 Radeon HD
4330/4350/4550/4650/4670/5145/5165/530v/545v/560v/565v
RV740/RV770/RV790
Radeon HD 4770/4730/4830/4850/4860/4870/4890
CEDAR Radeon HD 5430/5450/6330/6350/6370
REDWOOD Radeon HD 5550/5570/5650/5670/5730/5750/5770/6530/6550/6570
JUNIPER Radeon HD 5750/5770/5830/5850/5870/6750/6770/6830/6850/6870
CYPRESS Radeon HD 5830/5850/5870
HEMLOCK Radeon HD 5970
PALM Radeon HD 6310/6250
SUMO/SUMO2 Radeon HD 6370/6380/6410/6480/6520/6530/6550/6620
BARTS Radeon HD 6790/6850/6870/6950/6970/6990
TURKS Radeon HD 6570/6630/6650/6670/6730/6750/6770
CAICOS Radeon HD 6430/6450/6470/6490
CAYMAN Radeon HD 6950/6970/6990
ARUBA Radeon HD 7000 series
TAHITI Radeon HD 7900 series
PITCAIRN Radeon HD 7800 series
VERDE Radeon HD 7700 series
OLAND Radeon HD 8000 series
HAINAN Radeon HD 8000 series
BONAIRE Radeon HD 7790 series
KAVERI KAVERI APUs
KABINI KABINI APUs
HAWAII Radeon R9 series
MULLINS MULLINS APUs

Thank you, both of my GPUs appear to be supported, if chip names are to be trusted.

There's one more thing: does FreeBSD support switchable graphics?
On Linux I was able to send the output of the discrete GPU through the APU using xrandr, then pass the variable DRI_PRIME=1 to a program to make it render on the discrete GPU. I think they call it PRIME.

Does FreeBSD have something like it? I'm not planning to play any games on it, I'm just curious.

OpenIndiana is still in development. It's OpenSolaris that was discontinued.

Disadvantage.
Btrfs
LXC
Gentoo
Inferior non freedom respecting licence. Absolutely disgusting.

Stockholm syndrome is real. If Poettering asked you to bend over, would you let him dump a POZ load into you there as well? Ok but seriously, I get init scripts were a mess, but the problem with systemD is that it became a behemoth.
I'm sure it will turn out to be fine, but it has a really ugly interface at the moment, I hope they clean that up. I also wonder why Ubuntu has jumped onto ZFS instead of BTRFS like SUSE.
Ok.
Fine.
BSD license gives YOU more freedoms, GPL takes them away.

like freedom to take away freedom

A lack of systemd is a lack of an option. It's not a positive thing, even if you don't like that option. If you don't want to use systemd there are a lot of distros that don't force you into it.

Ultimately they will all use it because the effort to remain systemd free will exceed the benefits of not capitulating to it.

Not as long as there are people who still dislike it, and as long as systemd-less infrastructure exists for other operating systems.

I'm staying with Ubuntu. Sorry.

Just tried it on my sbc and there's no pkg support for armv6

Yeah... just like they all eventually started using pulse au... oh wait, did didn't. Never mind then. FreeBSD might have some nice features, but you're full of shit.

Wait, does Ubuntu really have a sane way of installing from source? The last time I wanted to patch something before installing, I had to download the source and manually run configure, some deb-patches and make only for it to fail... of course you can install portage, but that's not really "Ubuntu feature".

u wot?
option 1)
debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html
option 2)
download from vendor
wiki.debian.org/CheckInstall

you all are LE faggots. take this survey

poal.me/mztn2u

poal.me/mztn2u

poal.me/mztn2u

poal.me/mztn2u

How about you step into this >>>/oven/

There are plenty of GNU/Linux distros without systemd: Gentoo, Crux, GuixSD to say some.

No file system is without flaws. Show us why ZFS is better than the alternatives and their uses.

I can't pass judgment on this, I never used jails or docker.

Many distros give you this option.

There are SJW everywhere. It's only an issue when they have an active voice.
Also, as someone else said. FreeBSD's CoC is retarded "I'm too immature to deal with different points of views and everyone is forced to behave the way that I want, so I won't feel oppressed"

Both GPL and BSD are free software. I don't mind either and its up to the developer to choose his favorite and your ad hominen is the cream on the top.
Bitching about permissive and strong copyleft licensing only helps to degrade free software as a whole, you're helping digging your own grave.

FreeBSD is a good alternative for those who want something different from the GNU/Linux, but still want a Unix platform. You, OP, are not helping spreading a new option to users, you're just fucking its name by exposing such weak arguments and lack of logic.

Learn the differences faggot

I give non-systemd linuks 2 years lifetime

Snapshots & it actually werks

Cool. So hows the "ports like system" is working on those "many distroes"

I am pretty sure that what you quoted is not in FreeBSD:s CoC

Linings is bretty good too if you don't want that much Unix stuff

Nah your posts missed basicly all the points what that faggot said. I would call you a troll but then again in these times & linux n00bs you newer can be sure.

[spoiler]I run/have run linux, Open-, Free- and NetBSD boxens. Really don't give a shit anymore as long as shit gets done[/quote]

I can't imagine Systemd on embedded Lunix. Toy/busybox will never implement it. Maybe i will try 11 for the hipster feeling, but i don't have high hopes.
Anyway, FreeBSD or NetBSD can write ntfs partition? I had problems on, OBSD with legacy partitions.

I can't imagine Systemd on embedded Lunix. Toy/busybox will never implement it. Maybe i will try 11 for the hipster feeling, but i don't have high hopes.
Anyway, FreeBSD or NetBSD can write ntfs partition? I had problems on, OBSD.

My crystallball tells that linux will bloat to the point that most embedded shit will be done rather with NetBSD

In FreeBSD there is no native support for ntfs. Don't know NetBSD my guess is no. Then again isn't writable ntfs support in fuse? That should work on all systems.

Both GPL and BSD give us the four basic freedoms. One is strong copyleft the other is weak copyleft.
YOU should learn the difference.

And this will prove...?

So, only ZFS offer this and it can only be used under FreeBSD?
Also, if you say it actually works all the other alternatives with these features don't?

How should I know? The option is there, how it behaves, I don't care. You claim ONLY FreeBSD has this feature and it's wrong.

No shit... But it's a good TL;DR

Depends on the distro.

Funny thing is, you called me a noob troll and missed tag [ spoiler ] with closing a [/quote] that don't even exist here.

BSD is no copyleft, not weak copyleft.

Indeed, excuse me. The point still, both are free software

If quads, SystemD will vanish from the face of earth.

Whatis

Slovaris is fine too

What can I say ZFS just werks with those fancy features unlike let's say BTRFS

Yep I think we have established this by now

Where?

Nah there are others too like OpenBSD and NetBSD.I Like the concept of base system in /usr/src and /usr/ports with good easy to use build system because sometimes I do compile my shit with some source or compiletime tweaks to software.

I bet it made you bretty mad

People have been saying this for longer than some posters here have even been alive, they get more than they ask for in donations every year despite asking for more each year as well. I don't know how anyone could confuse stability with dying, how many more years will it be "dying"?

FreeBSD is dying is a joke mate, it's just sarcasm.

This is why nobody uses your distro, fag

This is horribly backwards. It is the GPL which "cucks" developers into providing the source any derivative works they make, thus disallowing developers from having any control over their intellectual property.

That's like marrying worlds biggest whore, and being told that if you produce a daughter, then she's forced to be a whore just like mom, whether she likes it or not.

The GPL is a demonic Jew cult, and we've gotta break the conditioning!!!! Raaaaghhhwww!

If you can't even follow instructions to make your wireless work, then not having you on the system is a net positive. It's not like you're ever going to be smart enough to contribute anything useful back. Stick with Windows.

You guys too young to remember the USL lawsuit and the total devastation the GPL saved us from really need to learn some history as you're advocating for repeating it.

Did the BSDs ever get USB figured out?

GPL definitely played important role in the beginnings of FOSS movement, but in many cases it's no longer needed. GPL protects you from being "defeated" by proprietary competitor who just "stole" your code and poured more money into it, but that danger often isn't there. This is especially true for libraries, where companies usually just want to use them in their product, not sell them on their own. You don't loose anything by having a permissive license here, since with GPL, those companies would just use something else. OpenBSD and FreeBSD both have enough funding even with their permissive license. GPL does have its uses, but there's place for permissive licenses too.

Reminder for the BSD cucks who like getting fucked in the ass and being free workforce for big companies.

Nice sage there fag. Did you RTFM?

Axiom: proprietary software is never good. At best, it's a compromise.
GPL is better than copyleft-free licenses if you agree with this. And only cucks can accept proprietary dicks in their anus.
cf. PS3 OS, JunOS and millions of example

It was amazing for me to see the speed of adaptation of toybox in android. It's not even done yet, but google (as other average corporate) is heavy shill of permissive licenses.

That's where I disagree. Sometimes it's proprietary software or nothing. The gaming industry is excellent example. FOSS just wouldn't work for many games and proprietary is the best you'll get.

See ID software, faggot. Nothing wrong with "proprietary" assets.

Why?

"Proprietary" is evil only in a software context, since software is instructions. A dumb file such as a picture or a video can have license without incriminating your freedom.

Unless, of course, that file comes with DRM that has instructions to invalidate your freedom.

Personally, I am an advocate for selling licenses to art and music resources over licenses to non-free software.

That's why I put ""

Where did he say this?

Heh

I'll agree to that

They gonna do the switch eather a)voluntary b) by force while systemd depencies grow on linux ecosystem. Users eather switch FreeBSD or eat the systemd. After 7 years from now linus is gonna say well systemd was a fuckup and develops new init system + coretools by himself and systemd dies.

All this are facts and foretold to me by my oracle

Seems like you never seen multiplatform source code. Anyway if you are right, then every BSD is cucked. Just to point the discussion between systemd and tmux dev, the tmux guy wanted to change daemon() so they don't have to make any options even for compile time. If they would make this pull request in daemon, it would be a bigass sechole on linux and worst sw design since windows me. Fuck their code correctness. That would affect EVERYBODY, no matter what init they use. Raadt should double check their spaghetti code from now on, but i doubt he will as he didn't with openssl.

bemp

can you GPLvsBSD fags just shut up?

Not everything is about freedom, GPL is needed because small independent groups can create good projects, but can quickly drop support because of not being professionals and having other things in life, while the project can be taken over by some corporate body that will prevent all it's previous users from getting updates as they make it closed source

GPL is about users
BSD/MIT/whatever is about developers

use whatever the fuck you want

and this goes for a really good project, that is unrivalled, otherwise GPL will just make your project die, while other licences would at least make it survive in it's botnetâ„¢ version

Question is what is better, to die with dignity or to became homosex?

in the scenarion I described

ftfy

GNU/Linux for workstations, laptops etc, I have a VM on my homeserver with centos for some webdev shit.

FreeBSD for fileservers for sure
Also PFSense is pretty legit

GPL is a communist license written by a filthy kike. Only a degenerate would use GNU shit or anything under the jewish software foundation licence GPL. I'll stick to BSD thank you.

Which BSD do you use?

Yeah, it's pretty alright. Except for all those programs you can't run or find alternatives to.

It's like you want to create a backwards walled garden where the only thing keeping you there is your stubborn autism but it's so powerful that you obey it even at the detriment of your user experience.

I'm talking more about the license. The 3 clause BSD license isn't anti white like GPL cuckold license is. I

Which operating system do you use?

Cuck'd by Sony and Juniper real hard.

Good goy, have fun having software based license sold and owned by jew.

Cucks

You do know that Chromium was started and has always been almost completely developed by Google, right?

BSD = lolbertarian
GPL = (((SJW))) cucks

Between the two I'll take the lolbertarian option every single time.

???
This is an English-only board.

What's SJW cuck about the GPL? The license itself, mind you, not people associated with it.

It's anarkiddies, retard. I feel for it, 4/10.

You shouldn't even dignify a drooling ebonics-screeching moron like that with a response.

you can't sell the fruits of your labor

at best you can sell support for it

Do BSD licenses let you do that?

They're good at letting other people sell the fruits of your labor. But if you pick one for your own fruit it won't help you.

If you keep the BSD license, you have the typical FOSS responsibilities. If you change the license from MIT/BSD/Apache to proprietary before distributing, then you can apply any new license you want.

The way I see it:

You can take any BSD code, make some new software out of it, make it proprietary and then sell it.

Now, some retards thinks this means BSD software is not safe. Of course BSD software is safe, anyone can look at the code. If you feel unsafe running proprietary code (and you should 90% of the time) then just don't, it doesn't affect your BSD OS what so ever that some dude made some proprietary software to run on it.

I doubt you can find a more principled, secure, and open OS than OpenBSD

Meanwhile, if you GPL license your software you have forever given it up to the collective, it is effectively not your software anymore. Comparatively, if you BSD license your software, that version is yours, and everyone elses, and everyone can do whatever they want with it, it truly belongs to everyone, while the GPL software doesn't belong to anyone.

which only exist because they grow in the fertile soil of work already done by others
the gpl says

you sound like those libtards that say
ignoring that taxes paid for the basic infrastucture that allows that business to exist in the first place

ok obongo

IDK anymore
All OS suck shit tbh fam

And this is what makes you a cuck if you contribute to BSD.

Strawman

And now you sound like those obnoxious NTR fetishists that insist that they are so much more sophisticated than all those oppai loving plebians.

Incorrect. When you write a piece of code and submit it to a GPL, you have provided a non-exclusive copy of that code under the GPL, same as if you did so with BSD.

As the originator of a piece of code, you can re-license additional copies of your code however or whenever you want (unless you are getting paid to produce said code). The code you submitted is restricted by the terms of the GPL, but you are free to do as you please because contributions to the GPL are non-exclusive.
With BSD, you aren't just giving it up to a good faith community software project, you are giving it up to the entire planet with no restrictions. This means your own ability to re-license your own code is completely worthless.

Once again, the reality of what is happening is the exact opposite of what you claim is true. Your post is the epitome of why we all think you are delusional fags.

Are you fucking retarded?

I love how BSDfags have to grasp at straws and say OSX is BSD just to please their confirmation bias to say BSD is more relevant than it is

OSX is not BSD, the hybrid kernel is XNU, the microkernel is Mach, get fucking over it

src pls

You are fucking retard, that's for sure.

illumos is a fork of Solaris' kernel and coreutils. The goal is to develop and maintain a base upon which an operating system can be built.

OpenIndiana is a distribution of illumos and other programs that, together, make a complete operating system.

You're still the copyright holder.
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html.en#ReleaseUnderGPLAndNF

Actually, this has nothing to do with GPL, at least not exclusively. Rather, it is a feature of copyright law.

You, as a creator of the work, have the right to do anything you want to do with your work. Other people, however, do not.
That's where licenses come into play. A license is an agreement between the creator and the user that sets the terms under which the work can be used.
When you download and use a program licensed under BSD or GPL license, a contract is made between you and the creator of the work that allows you to use the program under certain terms. If you breach the terms, you lose any and all rights to use the program.

Since nowhere in the GPL text it says that, by licensing your program under it, you have to exclusively use GPL for the work, you can, as a creator, re-license it under any other license(s).
In fact, many programs offer multiple licenses, or offer a free basic version and a proprietary advanced version build from the basic one.

That's all fine and dandy when you are the sole creator of a work, but if you were to re-license a work of multiple people, or a work that derives from one or multiple GPL-ed works, you have to get every copyright holder to agree.

more like
if you want to build something from scratch and own it all, go build the next temple OS. if you want to build something using our shared resources, you have to share yours as well or else you're just a leech

this is why communists want to purge you

death to all communists

and this is why you don't get invited to parties

I wouldn't join your party even if you invited me, filthy commie.

fuck you and your shitty parties, I have more than enough actually good parties to go to

It is written systemd, not system D or System D, or even SystemD. And it isn't system d either. Why? Because it's a system daemon, and under Unix/Linux those are in lower case, and get suffixed with a lower case d. And since systemd manages the system, it's called systemd.

Nice oxymoron.

no communist parties for me

What did he mean by this?

Openindiana is the flagship distro of the Illumos project you absolute retard.

Though I'll agree with you in saying that it's nigh fucking dead. Holy shit even the packages on the rolling-release version are older than your mother's crusty cunt.

Waiting for newer Xorg and glamor. Or Wayland if I'm patient enough. Basically, there's a lot of graphic shit that's gonna happen in little time soon.

Don't wait just use it.
bsddesktop.com/images/

Heh, no thanks.

Here you go:
hardenedbsd.org/

t. suck at system managing

no thanks it's for satan worshippers

enjoy your keyboard and mouse not working

Summer of 2011 m00t create Holla Forums...

What's this? Also
Anyway, I don't think it's a bad idea to wait for FBSD 11 or OBSD 6 (maybe even NBSD 8 if I'm really patient). I'll try them in a qemu-kvm to see if they can replace gentoo (I fear I might like customization and some packages).

I didn't hear that one before.

NBSD has a really flexible package manager that will blend best with gentoo.

FBSD ports is pretty great as well.

OBSD is probably the least gentoo like, I'd equate OBSD to Alpine if I had to choose.

How does FreeBSD compare to Gentoo/FreeBSD? It's hard to beat portage, but some stuff like boot environments might be tied to bsd init...

I know that Debian also has a FreeBSD port that they consider good enough to make official (unlike the HURD port). It can't be too bad.

Portage is good, but really too slow, and most eclass are fucked.

The thing is that for desktop use, only FreeBSD has enough compatibility. For example, I'm using ppsspp for the moment, and only FBSD is supported. Same for mGBA and most emulators (can't even run gzdoom on *BSD).

Running emulators is hardly desktop use.

OpenBSD has a good desktop experience for any office use.

I would agree that you'll find a smoother transition with from Linux to FreeBSD, The Ports tree is near debian tier.

That's an example, m8. By "desktop use", I mean not only office, scientifice or work software, but also multimedia and fun. At least I have mpv and mupdf on *BSD.
Also, Wayland on FBSD WHEN?

Use DragonFlyBSD and enjoy Wayland now.

By the way, do you know a good and simple image viewer for BSD? I use sxiv usually, and it doesn't seem to be there.

Usually you would just compile sxiv yourself no?

Otherwise feh works a treat.

That's indeed something I considered, but I'll wait for Hammer2 to stop changing every day. And muh package selection.

Is freshports.org/ made of official port or is this the equivalent of gentoo sunrise?

Also, is this me or FBSD doesn't have a RSS feed for updated ports? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

FreshPorts is just a website with more information about the current shit in official ports.

freshports.org/backend/news.php

>freshports.org/backend/news.php
I've seen it. Why isn't there an officiel feed on freebsd.org?

This is the official feed, the website is a bot that tracks changes made on the ports tree.

wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki
It's FreeBSD with modern graphic stack: DRM from 4.6 (Intel, amdgpu) + PRIME + linuxkpi + DRI3 etc.

Ah, it's an unstable graphic stack. As a Gentoo user, I'm more on the stable side concerning kernel and deep system stuff. Nice anyway (also, the wiki says that udev's gonna be deprecated?).

Should be already stable for intel gpu, not sure about amdgpu.
It's make no sense...
Outdated info, udev already deprecated and was merged into systemd.

Really? I'm using the LTS kernel and GCC 4.9 for example. Even my firefox is LTS and I'm fine with that (came from Arch, which is a different story)

You should know that Harper is no SJW. She just plays one on the internet once she realized that it will make her a lot of money from unwitting findom sub SF fucking white males with too much tech bux, who think buying her fat ass free shit is morally and practically equivalent to saving the world. Like i dont actually blame her for for pumping those suckers dry, a fool and his money, its just a shame the faux activism show she must put on in return for her supper is part of whats actively corroding some rather important foundational principles of society.

She is actually on tape saying in no uncertain terms that SJWs are idiots around mid 2014, a few months before gaymergate blew up. Its easy enough for her backers to look up, but then i suppose its easy enough to doublethink away too.

She was pretending to not be cancer in 2014 but she was. That was the tail end of the "I'm such a nerd! Nerds are great!" phase before cancer fully switched to the SJW die cis scum, kill all men, white devils thing. She did nothing of any significance back then, she was trying hard to worm her useless ass into a position of authority, though.

If there was any, uhh, philosophy that would come along and pick someone like harper up and elevate her, it would be Social Justice.

The whole thing with her was actually dramatized in south park with eric cartman realizing he can do more damage by joining forces with PC principal instead of defying him.

I-I made a wallpaper for you, user.
Also, could anyone tell about FBSD's UFS? How does it compare to ext4, especially.

The said wallpaper.

use gentoo... freebsd is obsolete because of the kernel... linux kernel has much more hardware support + portage... magical OS

I use gentoo. Bazaar vs cathedral and portage is too fucking slow. And gentoo lacks manpower, unfortunately (maybe more than FBSD).
Also, why would some shit like Netflix use FBSD instead of GNU/Linux? There must be reasons.

use gentoo... freebsd is obsolete because of the kernel... linux kernel has much more hardware support + portage... magical OS>>624359
there is reason, because of license, linux kernel is far more superior to FreeBSD's but its GPL... they can take FreeBSD and do whatever they want with it... I used FreeBSD and i say its perfect os... its just kernel and hardware support that are draging me from fbsd... gentoo is all that but with more superior kernel

Learn english, nigger. Anyway, I'm not talking about people just closing their *BSD fork like Juniper or Sony, but using it because of its superior network stack.
Also, if Linux was 100% superior to FBSD, wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD wouldn't exist.

derp

just 3 years ago "games" didn't work in linux with this h/w due to missing drivers..

- soundcard
- gpu (vesa worked)
- wired ethernet

suck fat dick stupid shit

go fuck yourself stupid shit, you cant to shit with freebsd

no drivers... no games... no fun = FreeBSD
gentoo > freebsd

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Is it just me or does dragonflydigest.com only display a blank page right now?

What about Gentoo/FreeBSD?

Yeah, looks like it's down.

Because I use libre BSD
you blob loving faggot

This thread is a fucking disaster, and so is this board. No amount of moderation can fix a retarded userbase. I'm going to 16ch.

The following is a random keyword the nsa monitors via pastebin.com/raw/UWffBQbn: SAI

OT: I've come to extremely enjoy bmake, it's pretty simple yet effective.
I know it was made for NetBSD, but I use the FreeBSD mk files

>if Linux was 100% superior to FBSD, wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD wouldn't exist.
If Linux was 100% superior to GNU/Hurd, debian.org/ports/hurd/ wouldn't exist

Could you tell me what's really different from GNU make? Really interested in it, since NetBSD and compilation are even more synonymous than in Gentoo.

Is this supposed to prove me right? Because I can see a lot of things better than Linux in Hurd's design (if only the microkernel concept).

Maybe the point is that while HURD is better in some aspects, it's not better overall in any real world use cases.

That's why linux is not 100% better. Also, fiability is sometimes a must, that's probably why NetBSD was used on those space stations.

you know that user script makes it pretty obvious when you post since you're the only one that uses it

how reactionary user
plz try harder next time

Anyone who goes farther than this when considering her only adds to the attention she gets.

The rest of you faggots probably can't use it because you suck at computers.