Jews block Fm/AM radio capabilities of smart phones to charge you more money for data plans

cbc.ca/news/business/fm-radio-cellphone-telecoms-1.3577447

It's not clear that they disable it to make money. It could just be that it's another thing they have to support, that most customers wouldn't use anyway (this goes for both the carriers and the hardware makers). E.g. Google's Nexus branded products are not tied to any carrier, so they have no reason to cripple the product, but they don't have fm radios enabled either.

and now they say something about it?

My local radio station's been bitching about this shit for at least three years now.

but won't they just use the FM radio chips to track you?

Would flashing a new rom fix it? Or is it disabled by hardware?
Also almost no phone has AM radio, I'm not sure why.

Its fucking radio lobbyists. The european ones are good at their jobs, and argue that anything that plays music has to have a radio. So all phones have radios, and have for some time. Us Americans just never noticed, because we don't have such idiotic laws. The radio companies here have started campaigns to get US mobile phone companies to allow access to the things.

Don't get me wrong. I love radio. I'm an amateur radio operator with a general class license, but this shit is fucking retarded. I don't need an FM radio in my phone for the same reason I don't have cable TV anymore. I have the internet.

Bigger antennas.

I don't give a shit.

Yeah, that damn autonomous hivemind of unnamed "jews"

That isn't relevant. Restricting a feature that is built into the phone like that is worse than crippleware. Also as the article points out, and you of all people should know, broadcast radio is a heck of a lot more effective during emergencies than the Internet.

I agree, but I still won't be using the radio in my phone. I have regular broadcast fm receivers in my car, and at home, not to mention my ham radios that also cover the broadcast band. I also have a NOAA weather radio.

Also, to use the FM chip in your phone, you need headphones to be plugged in to be the antenna. I don't carry headphones everywhere. I'd only have headphones to use as the antenna if I'm home where all my other radios already are.

I can agree with you on the crippleware parallel. People should have control of their hardware.

But again, the RIAA is in bed with the radio corporations like Clearchannel, and their European counterparts lobbied to get FM chips in phones, and now they are starting a campaign to try and get you to use them to shove ads and mainstream music down your throat. The whole 'emergency communications' is just so they can get their foot in the door. Your welfare is the last thing on their minds.

Rarely a problem, most people don't drag their phones around like boomboxes.

Sounds about right. Nevertheless this is one instance there is actually some mutual benefit, intended or not.

AM/FM receiver is required by the FCC for emergency broadcasts.
This is similar to the requirement for an "emergency call" button on smartphones.

150€ on amazon. I pity the fools that buy over expensive, locked down shit instead of cheap alternatives that are more than enough to make calls and shitpost on Filipino cartoon image boards.

Grow the fuck up you manchild.

What? This whole thread is premised on the fact that the FCC does not currently require AM/FM receivers in phones. If it was required, all phones would have them, and this thread wouldn't exist.

Not needed! Just the end-plug from a broken pair of headphones with the cord removed will suffice.

No different from most streaming services (pay us money or listen to 1000 ads!) or this little thing known as every single application of AM/FM radio bands ever used in technology.

Pic related is you.

Also

BlackBerry Master Race wins again!

Now you know they're only supporting this to be able to push their propaganda.

Wew no free speech or anonymity allowed in cucknadia.

if you could mention what is the actual phone in question that would be nice

Wileyfox Swift

Why not manufacture phones with built in FM transmitters so that we don't need a dongle?

Why should they. The phone transceiver is far better at being triangulated by the cell towers today than any puny little compromised FM receiver could reasonably be expected to user.

You're already being tracked with a cellphone m80.

That's just the point user. Almost all of them already have the FM receiver capability on-die. It's just switched off.

Not claiming radio is different. I'm claiming the internet is. Maybe I'm a little SMRTer than the usual internet user, but I don't have to deal with ads on the rare occasion I listen to music on my phone.

I'm talking about a built in transmitter so you can transmit audio to a radio without a dongle.

I'm not talking about a AM/FM receiver so that you can listen to the radio.

Licensing is a motherbitch for radio. Remember that regular analog FM is almost dead in the US. Everything is changing to hybrid digital.

Won't that auto-mute the speaker on a typical phone?

You aren't going to get anything meaningful in your average smartphone mate, just pick up a CB radio, or if you're really serious become a ham.

I'm talking about something like this built into cellphones.