Daily reminder that Software engineers = shit

Software engineers, white or brown are shit. Computer Science/ Mathematics master race. Have fun playing in your shitty ass C dealing with seg faults.

skorks.com/2010/03/you-dont-need-math-skills-to-be-a-good-developer-but-you-do-need-them-to-be-a-great-one/

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/dwrjxk.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why?
I'm probably going to study computer engeneering. Why shouldn't I?

Well, I will answer your question really quickly here. Do you enjoy circuts,physics, and low level stuff or do you like abstract, theoretical, and mathematics more?

Is Computer Science better?

C is perfectly fine if you know the standard (RIP most "programmers") have tools that adhere to the standard (RIP embedded developers) and don't rush things (RIP anyone with a deadline). That said, the pseudo-mathematical wankery that comes out of academia right now isn't better in any way. Provably secure, until Rowhammer shows that the model was inadequate and the results were worthless.

The problem is that this kind of incompetence (hitting random buttons is not programming) became SOP in the first place. I personally blame the dumbing down of CS programmes and the hype surrounding programming for that, but who knows.

Now that I'm done ranting: The blog post drags on, but gets it mostly right. However, the author doesn't seem to mention in his post that the kind of math needed to reap these effects is university-level math, not highschool nonsense.

What do you think academia is for, industry? Fuck off, I like my ivory tower where I can talk about the nature of computational complexity and give a rat's ass about industry.

You are free, even welcome to give a rat's ass about the industry. Just don't try and push the useless parts of your research on others, somebody has to do the fucking while you do the wanking.

Yes, because doing research on computational complexity and NP completeness is useless.

Please point me to the part where I said that.

Ok, I did not read the "parts". Fair enough, although I don't think any kind of academia is useless. Allowing to do something in an ivory tower is where the freshest ideas come from.

Bit of a difference. Computer engineering is about circuitry and chip design. It's often paired with computer science courses, but doesn't explore the more theoretical aspects of computer science. It's a solid major.

Software engineering is a softer discipline. It focuses more on things the customer cares about, like requirements and test plans. You have to be carefully integrating changes so that they meet the current set of expectations without regression or wildly exceeding scope.

Then there's systems engineering, or as I like to call them, 'spreadsheet engineers'

I had to get into some of that spreadsheet bullshit in "Object Modeling and Design". The professor insists on everything having a web browser interface. He uses generated code whenever possible, and focuses entirely on UML and diagrams. He loves talking about " Agent Oriented Programming " and TIoT. He's the biggest meme professor I've ever seen. My other professors went over computer engineering, OS, embedded systems, algorithms, lots of math and proofs involving graphs, set theory, boolean algebra, etc. Then I get this fucking meme professor in my last class.

Good fucking God I hated software engineering classes. In my computer science program I could avoid most of that bs by taking applied math options (like crypto). Which was great, since I was double majoring anyways.

ITT: the age old debate between practice and theory

All the arguments have already been made, you're not going to innovate somehow.

And a good engineer has to understand both the CS and CE aspects to be worth a damn anyways, knowing x86_64 by heart is useless if you don't know you're writing quadratic complexity and writing Merkle trees in higher level languages isn't worth much if you have no idea how to implement encryption fast enough at lower levels.

Rowhammer was a hardware problem.

nice meme

Yeah. It's caused when the memory is so compact that the memory cells are close enough to affect each other's electrical charges.

This.

That's the point you tard.

Hey guys,

I couldn't find any maths thread and since it's mostly a tech-related question I'll ask it here before asking on /math/.

I'm looking into graphics programming, which is mostly about linear algebra I guess, any good book you would recommend? I would highly appreciate it if it also used c++ for demonstration.

Have fun with your abacus.

my.mixtape.moe/dwrjxk.pdf
I hope this helps.

Are you double majoring, OP?

That's what I'm planning, don't know how I feel about it though. Lots of mixed feelings on double majors. I think that because CS is quickly becoming such a crowded major, that doubling is good to set you apart from the rest of the plebs though.

pure math double btw

I prefer the former.
If you're planning to go low level and you aren't learning about hardware you're a retard that won't get anywhere in their career.
People interested in making hardware are a very small minority. I hope one day a lot more people move to hardware from software.

Thanks! I'll start reading it right away.

Entirely depends on what kind of area of software development you're working in.

These are exactly the kind of threads that turned 4cuck /sci/ into pure shit - a bunch of math and physics undergraduates with dubious skills in either circle jerking each other about how superior their majors are than everyone else's.

Just do whatever the fuck you enjoy the most and don't rub it into people's faces.

any tips on how to make this transition?

There is no "better", they're complementary disciplines

Study college physics, specifically the parts regarding electromagnetism.
Understand the current electron cloud model. You may need to go lower to keep up with current advancements, but to get a basic understanding electron clouds should be as low as it gets.
Know how to analyze electronic circuits, especially with transistors.
Study VLSI and how to build the same circuits using layers of semiconductive material.
Study VHDL and how to describe logical circuits in a testable way.
While knowing jewtel assembler will be useful, study other free and open chip designs to make the connection from metal to code.

That is roughly what I studied for my Computer Enginneering degree, sans compsci/math/bslib coursework.