How much RAM is enough ram?

How much RAM is enough ram?
How much RAM does your pc use on boot?
Do you have enough RAM in your pc?

Other urls found in this thread:

downloadmoreram.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck it I can't be bothered to be polite.
Fuck off into a pit of acid.

all

Seen on a tee-shirt at a motorcycle meet:
Too much just ain't enough

Nothing over 8Gb

Or better yet

Go for 32GB. For the hell of it. If you really want to have some fun, 64GB is nice.

Just download more if you run out, idiot

sage for tech-illiterate thread

Christ, did you want to be made fun of? Regardless, have at least 4GiB for everyday use, 8GiB for heavy use, but RAM isn't something that's going to hurt you too much going overboard on. It's not like 16 is going to hurt and if the difference is like $30 and you're not a poor faggot, why not.

It all depends on what you want to do with computer. If you want to just browse the internet and watch movies then you do not need a lot of ram.

My PC uses 1.8GB on boot.
I am using Win10

I have 4GB and it is enough for all the stuff that I do with my PC.

How many questions about how much RAM is enough RAM are enough questions about how much RAM is enough RAM?

This

Here I'll help you out OP download all the RAM you need right here: downloadmoreram.com/

probably 2 GB is enough for personal use, for linux. but for OSX you need at least 4 GB, it's much heavier. maybe the graphics ? don't actually know where the extra goes.

it might be fun to load a whole OS onto the RAM though and never power it off, and have it back itself up at night or something ?

2GiB for a 32-bit system
4GiB for a 64-bit system
8GiB is a healthy amount for gaming/audio editing/etc...
16GiB is a healthy amount for video editing/virtualization/etc...
32GiB if you want to run vanilla Firefox for some reason

300 ~ 400MiB

Do you have enough RAM in your pc?
I have 4GiB on a x86-64 system, so yes.

In theory you only need a few kilobytes of RAM, enough to start a kernel, a Swap/Pagefile buffer, and bootstrap the rest of the OS through Swap/Pagefile

Now that of course would be awfully slow unless you use a rudimentary OS at best

So realistically you want enough RAM for your OS to be able to boot and load up without resorting to Swap/Pagefile

Windows 10 generally needs 2GBs of RAM for this to happen, I base this off of other peoples anecdotes and the fact "Built for Windows 10" systems rarely have less than 2GBs for the absolute minimum budget sets

Ideally you'll want so much RAM you won't ever need to resort to Swap/Pagefile, which is usually a bare minimum of 8GBs and up depending on your use and how much you value multitasking

8gb is enough for gaymen
16gb is more than enough for any gaymen at all
32+ or more for video editing

I have 16, enough for any gaming and enough for 1080p video editing. never tried lots of effects or anything high quality

Never needed more than 4GB.
mkswap $(zramctl --find --streams $(nproc))

I have 31.4GiB of RAM
I'm using 1.36GiB.
I wish this mobo could hold more.
Dunno how much it uses on boot.
I don't have a swap.

my feet hurt

I want to go home and look at htop.

Honestly, you can never have too much ram. Especially with a kernel like Linux that uses free ram as cache.

What's wrong with Fedora? It's a great OS.

MATE is a good, lightweight DE that runs smooth on a potato.

Does it upset you that I have a social life?

You have no taste if you're hating on this.

Left halfchan almost a week ago, was getting unbearable there. Couldn't be assed making a new image again.

I can get by with less than 300mb.
Put gentoo onto a netbook, use only elinks for browsing, occasionally open a twitch stream at medium quality or play some jewtube videos, and even then it never exceeds 500mb.

I was talking about the theme of thread. Next time ask your questions in the appoeratiely named sticky.

It depends. If you just want a little 32-bit shitpost machine, 2 GB should be fine. If you have a 64-bit machine, I'd say at least 4. 8 is good for gaming, and above that for heavy gaymen and video editing.

I myself use 6 GB. It's enough for whatever stupid indie games I want to play and for fucking around in VirtualBox.

It depends. I still have a windicks partition, and it uses upwards of 1.5 GB. I distrohop a lot on Linux, so it can be anywhere from 150 MB to 550 MB, with openbox or Trinity up to full fledged Plasma 5.
I think so, yes. 6 GB is very comfortable. Lets me give away 2 GB and 2 cores to my VMs and still feel fine on my host, plus those VMs can stream HD video, even on KDE.

RAM is so cheap now there is no excuse. I have 64GB of RAM and use almost all of it while compressing files. if you have less RAM than I do, your files will NEVER be compressed as well as my files. it's not even about saving HDD space, it's about being superior. and you damn well better have at least 8GB of RAM or you won't even be able to decompress the masterfully compressed files that I upload, unless you want to wait an extra 10 minutes and wear down your HDD/SSD using virtual memory lmao.

No such thing as "enough".
32GB master race.

Here's one excuse:

Terrible idea.

Wat

depends on the software, and how shit the optimization is

Clearly it's not 64 bit if it cannot address more than 4GB, and if it's some shitty faux-64 bit you're a dumbass that bought broken hardware.

32bit is 3.2GB you retard.

And there's more advantages to 64bit than just ram. Can you try being less autistic? Please.

I have 8GB in my PC and I barely use 4 so I don't really care about ram.

On my server I only have 2GB and I only use 500MB so for me RAM was never a problem and since I run Arch on my server and my pc I don't have to compile in most cases to get the latest versions.

Stupid dataming questions and a question that is destined for the sticky bin being posted on the main board. Mabye if Ai redtext and bold it, you may slowly get it. Not very hopefull.
fuck off. If you were planing on discussing Rawhammer attacks, or up coming RAM types then yes that thread would actually be techonolgy. As it stands these not even 0.5 /g/ tier questions aren't technology.

Your autism is not worthy of those digits.

Says the faggot no digits.

hey fucktard, you should learn to stop putting words in peoples mouths. I sage my doubleposts so the same threads don't keep getting bumped.

Learn to read please.

32gb is the minimum to run Chrome.

I can tell you trying to develop mobile apps in a machine with only 4GB was an exercise in frustration.

Running the emulator + the Java-based IDE brought my old laptop to its knees.

Disgusting.

Singles aren't worthy of being checked.

Best dubs

Are you capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time?

Check 'em.

Fail.

Why would I ever want to do such a thing? Personally gum is my type of thing. I was calling [How much RAM does your pc use on boot? Do you have enough RAM in your pc?] Data mining and [How much RAM is enough ram?] the question designated for the sticky bin.

I have 4, but could probably make do just fine with 2.

What a fucking idiot.