Consumer Advice

Looking to buy something but aren't sure what to get? Ask here.

Other urls found in this thread:

hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_vserver/cx10
contabo.de/?show=konfigurator&vserver_id=131
pcpartpicker.com/p/VbV3cf
pcpartpicker.com/p/Ry7wt6
anandtech.com/show/8864/amd-fx-8320e-cpu-review-the-other-95w-vishera/2
pcpartpicker.com/p/hTL4t6
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131584
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221144&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSAQZSBXVKUC-_-83-221-144-_-Product
ebay.com/itm/301637454740
amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-23-8-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B0148NNKTC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1462901840&sr=1-1&keywords=acer r240hy
tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=1029657&quantity=1
ebates.com/editUserInfos.do?navigation_id=22405&sourceName=Web-Desktop&merchant_id=8223&special=11531805
trustedreviews.com/intel-core-i5-6400-review-performance-and-verdict-page-3
ssd.userbenchmark.com/
mylionshome.com/furniture-computer-desks/
pcpartpicker.com/p/pvvGmG
s.aliexpress.com/qe2QzyEN
s.aliexpress.com/6V7VNzYB
newcastlesys.com/our-systems/power-pack-series
techtrade.si/product.asp?pf_id=0086403&dept_id=9550
techtrade.si/product.asp?pf_id=9816015&dept_id=9550
enaa.com/oddelki/conrad/izd_6228_co990636_ide-_sata-kabel_usb_2_0_logilink_au0006c
enaa.com/oddelki/racunalnistvo/izd_3320_emau0006d_pretvornik_usb_ide_sata_za_hdd_logilink
amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-6-Inch-Performance-Processor/dp/B01CQEKH46/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc
parallax.com/product/32209
spemall.com/Clip-MP3-Player-for-Stereo-Audio-Musics-Playback-with-Micro-sd-Card-Slot_g.html
pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl=91QSCI16109305
gsmarena.com/blu_studio_c-7290.php
mdisc.com/m-ready/
lg.com/us/support/products/documents/LG-DS-Spec-BE14NU40.pdf
lg.com/us/support/products/documents/BH14NS40.pdf
lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-BP50NB40-external-blu-ray-dvd-drive
pcpartpicker.com/p/n3JV3F
amzn.to/27XIKym
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202185
digitalstorm.com/desktops.asp
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221131
pcpartpicker.com/p/kGfRsJ
mega.nz/#F!B40TUDIJ!SYXTClz6K5Puz48IKQ-nrQ
pcpartpicker.com/p/dbHrxY
lmgtfy.com/?q=what is the asus maximus viii&l=1
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236305
pcpartpicker.com/p/mRqXsJ
linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_USB_Devices
jemjem.com/apple-refurbished-clearance-items/iphone/iphone-5c/internal-memory/32gb?utm_source=DealNews&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=iPhone5C
pcpartpicker.com/list/yHdTwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/RskQzM
youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw
walmart.com/ip/RCA-7-Tablet-16GB-Quad-Core-includes-Keyboard-Case/45804389?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=45804389&placement_id=irs-2-m2&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=19bfe15a-bb19-472e-ab82-88d806346192&customer_id_enc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=44389793&parent_anchor_item_id=44389793&guid=9f81523e-da69-400f-a8ee-b4941caa9500&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138415&ignorebbr=1
dx.com/p/lodestar-l316248-helping-third-hand-soldering-stand-w-2x-magnifying-glass-132351#.V1dLtuSSfm4
pcpartpicker.com/list/WKRBm8
techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page5.html
backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q4-2015/
newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2938470
pcpartpicker.com/list/r3jZLD
geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-g105m/specifications).I'll
pcpartpicker.com/list/MwPJxY
amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Phone-MeeGo-Camera/dp/B005HA3Y2O
pcpartpicker.com/list/83Xf7h
alternativeto.net/software/morphvox-junior/
newegg.com/KVM-Switches/SubCategory/ID-143
teksyndicate.com/videos/gaming-headsets-suck-make-your-own-50-or-less
amazon.com/TASCAM-TH02-B-Closed-Back-Stylish-Headphone/dp/B00B1N06PO/ref=sr_1_2?srs=2530579011&ie=UTF8&qid=1466049979&sr=8-2&keywords=studio
msi.com/Multimedia/DS501-GAMING-Headset.html
zoom.com.tn/259-casque
scoop.com.tn/accessoires-informatique-casque-micro
amazon.com/s/field-keywords=voice recorder
shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e560/?sb=:000000F0:000004AB:
pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#sort=d8&page=1&r=192001080&p=1
asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-HDS/
amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-1GB-2xHDMI-Graphics-GV-N75TOC-1GI/dp/B00IGQ4UX8
ebay.ca/itm/5M-300LED-SMD-3528-5050-5630-RGB-White-Flexible-Strip-Light-Remote-Power-Supply-/181929534674?var=&hash=item2a5bd864d2:m:m0scM64YX98bf-el_nc1P_w#rpdCntId
amazon.ca/RioRand-Waterproof-300LEDs-Flexible-Controller/dp/B00KUTTWFK/ref=sr_1_3/189-9138582-0353545?ie=UTF8&qid=1466562011&sr=8-3&keywords=LED strip
pcpartpicker.com/list/mRmf7h
alternativeto.net/software/japanese-media-manager/
pcpartpicker.com/list/NHZxYr
archive.is/iy6qx
archive.is/1k1YJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/KTgXHN
amazon.com/CAD-U37-Condenser-Recording-Microphone/dp/B001AIQGUO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466673484&sr=8-4&keywords=usb microphone
amazon.com/Samson-Mic-Portable-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B001R76D42/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1466720097&sr=8-19&keywords=usb microphone
pcpartpicker.com/list/tN48KZ
boingboing.net/2016/06/15/intel-x86-processors-ship-with.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/DVjyf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/rWDxYr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

?

My PSP broke after several long years of hard work. Rest in peace.

Now I need something to replace it. I'm thinking a cell phone would be handy because everyone has those nowadays.
Now, admittedly, I'm pretty much only going to be using it for music, games (preferably something like a SNES or GBA emulator), and possibly internet browsing and videos (anime with subs, mostly).

Does anyone have an idea on where I should start looking for a phone that can meet my needs.
I'm a complete greenhorn and can't tell an iPhone from a Galaxy Tab 5 to a Xuanlong Aliexpress Smartphone.

I want to rent some piss cheap server to play around with, aka install vsftpd and opensshd, make an artsy pointless website that'd run under a cheap registered domain name, and involve the server in some of my projects. Maybe try out a mailserver.

I found this hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_vserver/cx10

Would it get the job done? Anything in the same price class that can provide a little more storage?

Now I found this contabo.de/?show=konfigurator&vserver_id=131

Which is a VPS for about 12 USD (10€), with 8gb ram and 200GB SSD memory.

Anything cheaper than this?

Has anyone here bought a Chinese phone?
Been looking at some to replace my dying Nexus 5, narrowed it down to 2 options.
Xiaomi Redmi 3 pro, or Oukitel k6000 pro.
My only concern is, will these phones fall apart on me in a few weeks or months? And which should I buy?
Priority is battery life btw, since nexus 5 battery life is mediocre.
Both roughly the same price, which makes it really difficult to decide.

Why not buy a new psp? I still have mine and I fucking love it

the thing is psp emulates pretty well on smartphones along with entire retroarch

Finalizing a build, and need advice. Anything that needs changing, better parts etc. Budget is capped at $1000.

pcpartpicker.com/p/VbV3cf

Why that build? Isn't zen coming out in a few months with DDR4 and significantly better ipc?

Redmi 3 pro

I meant note 3 pro*

at $1000 you should probably go for an Intel CPU, the 8350 isn't worth it. I had a 6350 and it wasn't great

16 GB might be overkill too, depending on what you're doing with it

Q4 this year, but I'm in a hurry. As in, I need a new PC by the 20th, or I'd wait for Polaris.

RAM is cheap. Also, was considering an Intel CPU, but the latest 6600k costs upwards of $250.

Heavily considered it, but I think it's just time to move on.
Besides, people start giving me strange looks when I say I don't have a cell phone, and I know cell phones nowadays are more powerful than the PSP ever was, and work better for things like internet browsing and video-watching (which are things I would appreciate to have in my pocket).
Having said that, I don't even think I'll be using this phone as a phone, so maybe I should just get another PSP.
Is it easy to hack a PSVita? Maybe I should look into that.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

go for a 6400 or 6500 then, you don't need to get a to of the line Intel

personally I think AMD is awesome for budget builds, but $1000 ain't a budget

Had a quick looksie, this is what I would get instead if I was you.
Just oc the 8320e for better performance, and you don't need to spend so much on a case.

Just my opinion at least, but do give it some thought. pcpartpicker.com/p/Ry7wt6

The redmi note 3 pro isn't a perfect phone, but it offers very good battery life and very good performance for a really nice price. I highly recommend it.

I5 6400 is a joke, there's barely any performance difference between the i3 6100 and i5 6400 because it's clocked so low.

I5 6600k is good though.

I will debate you on that build. 8320E runs too hot and consumes way too much power to get to 4.7GHz. Add to that the redundant Noctua fan and you're wasting more money than before. R9 390X also is only 4% performance increase over 390. Case looks cool though.

I'm biased against Intel, man. Don't need the edge in single-core performace since gaming isn't the main focus of this build.

I want a new SSD and external SSD as HDD backups. What's the best values for $100, $50, or $20?

Not too sure about that since 8320e has been binned to run at a lower voltage.
Maybe standard 8320 might run too hot?

Also you can OC the 390 to 390x performance, but then you can also OC the 390x for even more performance.

What if you get a cheaper cooler, and bump the GPU up to a fury?

I need no Consumer Advice, I just came here to soapbox my shitty experience

Just bought a blackberry 10 for the dank os with access to fdroid market.. Seems like a super phone imo, what downsides should I expect other than a dying company behind it?

Also, what's Holla Forumss go to MP3 player and external HD?

For 8320e - anandtech.com/show/8864/amd-fx-8320e-cpu-review-the-other-95w-vishera/2
For 8350, can easity get 4.7 GHz, and the highest you can get to is 5.2 GHz with a liquid cooler which I don't have.

As for the Fury, look at the prices. That's near half my budget blown, and with Polaris/Pascal around the corner, I'm having trouble justifying it.

pcpartpicker.com/p/hTL4t6

tried a different approach.
thoughts?

Never heard of that particular card. Regardless, this is the only dealer I can find online, and they're out of stock. newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131584
Will search for it, thanks (though might very well be inferior to Crossfire).
Also, why drop both the SSD, and 8GB of RAM?

What laptop do you recommend Holla Forums ?

I'd getting a graduation present but my Dad insists that i'm a gay retard who can't build a computer. So basically I get any prebuilt I want under $2000, I pay anything past that. Trying to going for something with an i7 and a 980. Was thinking this one looked good: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221144&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSAQZSBXVKUC-_-83-221-144-_-Product Any

i'm also a gay retard who can't grammer

I'm starting to hate my Surface 3 with a passion so I've been looking for a tablet, preferably Android, that has good handwriting capability since that's the only feature I like about the Surface. Budget $150-$350.

Can someone help me ID this 4U chassis?

ebay.com/itm/301637454740

Need to know if it can fit SSI-EEB boards.

Insist otherwise.

I need help picking a gpu for this build, I don't care about gaming on good graphics, but I want to run 2 monitors with a lot of multitasking (for example running dreamweaver, photoshop, and a constantly refreshing browser, with videos streaming). I'm asking for help because I've always used integrated graphics (poor), and this is only my second build, and my first build that isn't extremely budget constrained.

I don't really want to drop $300 or even $200 on a gpu unless its really worth it for someone who doesn't play any games on high graphics.

oh I almost forgot these are the monitors im gonna use (already bought them) amazon.com/Acer-R240HY-bidx-23-8-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B0148NNKTC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1462901840&sr=1-1&keywords=acer r240hy

Wait for Polaris/Pascal if you can, they come out next month. Otherwise, Take a look at the R9 270.

You are a gay retard, GTX 1000 series will be out soon and also building a PC is easier than building Ikea furniture. You could probably get what's in that link for 2/3 the price.

Literally how? Fuck, RMS is using a chinkpad in that very picture.

When and where can I buy a good 290x for cheaper than $300? I keep waiting for it to go down and instead its just getting taken off store shelves before anything comes out to lower the price.

I can't decide between a thinkpad T430 and a dell E6440. What is more important, better keyboard and nub (replacing T430's with T420's) or power and higher resolution?

I know T430 has the screen mod, but getting a kit doesn't seem guaranteed.

Hi Holla Forums. I'm a poorfag from very poor country so i cant spend much money at my next GPU. My budget is something about $150 right now. Currently i'm running Nvidia 550Ti and will be happy to sell it for $40 because it's shit. What I want - it's just run Dark Souls 3 at least ~20-30 fps 1080p and, if it possible, record gameplay hardwarely (shadowplay, raptr or similar you know).
I even don't understand anything about GPU world except "highter numbers = better" that applies only to nvidia, so i totally rely on you. I'm ok with secondary market.
Is there any good advice for me? Thank you anyway.

If you increase your budget by 30$ you can get a R9280, which runs DK3 with silky smooth fps at low/med settings.
If you need to know the power of a GPU just search around for "X GPU benchmark" and compare it to other GPUs

The ram is still there? 8GB is plenty for most people and upgrading later is cheap and easy.

And the SSD would be nice to have, but personally I'd take the better GPU over an ssd. Wouldn't you agree?

If you can get the 390x2 it'll be a pretty good deal, crossfire 390x in a single card, really solid performance.

If you are not playing games or render videos, a cheap one will do fine.
I'd suggest looking for the cheapest amd card with eyefinity. maybe even used.

why buy that when they are selling 390's now?
look for used parts if you want it cheaper.

when looking for used, this stupid site has a sort of usable tier list
tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I think the tier at
GTX 660 Ti, GTX 760, GTX 950
HD 7870, R9 270, R9 270X, R7 370

is gonna be great, but 1 or 2 below might get 30 fps.
remember, these are basically all that are made, so used and new in the same list.

I should add, that list is just a rough indication how older cards stack up to newer cards, so if you found a good deal, check it to be sure.

and I would use most of your budget, every dollar extra will give more performance.

what are some good current android phones?

I have a oneplus one right now but it broke so I'm shopping around and everything seems to have WAY too many features. the new galaxy has a heartbeat monitor? for what purpose?

Please help me shop around

What's your budget?

Also since you had a 1+1, I'm assuming it's safe to assume you're fine with Chinese phones?

I'm fine with chinese phones if they don't fall apart after a single drop. If the OS is shit I'll just flash a different ROM like cyanogenmod or something.

Budget?
200usd?

300?

That oukitel won't be out until the end of this month so you'll have to wait a month for reviews that cover battery life.

300-400 bucks

Xiaomi redmi note 3 pro, if you don't mind a mediocre camera.

Battery life should be around 10 hours SoT though.

I want to build a PC just to play games, I found all the parts online, I am just asking if it will be able to play games on high settings and if the parts are compatible.
Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB ram (2)
EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked+
Corsair VS450 ATX Power Supply
Intel Core i5 4460
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB
ASRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer Motherboard

store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=1029657&quantity=1

Choose the 980ti and 500w PSU, use code SPRING2016 at checkout. Comes to $1,126 for a computer with an i7-6700 and a 980ti. You can bring it down to $960 by making an account here

ebates.com/editUserInfos.do?navigation_id=22405&sourceName=Web-Desktop&merchant_id=8223&special=11531805

and following their link to the site, they mail you the 15% as a check. Put the rest into a SSD for a boot drive and a really nice monitor I guess.

I use one at work, haven't had any problems with it.

I have a R9 270 and I can run DS3 at ~50fps on 1080 with a few settings turned down.

Just get a computer.

Might be ok, but MEDIOCRE.
You say you have a $1000 budget? I see $400+ unspent, you could do much better.

There's plenty difference. One is a quad core, one is a dual core with hyperthreading.

And that's $700 unspent. What the fuck is the point of your budget if you're not actually going to use it?

Do you want a flying pig and an Holla Forums that's competently administrated and programmed with that? You ask too much for that puny budget.

If you can wait a little, the 1080 comes out later this month for a better price than the 980.

I'd claim to know who you are based on a recent video complaining about Dork Souls 3 performance, but that Russian fellow in particular doesn't like anime.

Assuming the rest of your system isn't as shit, the minimum you need is a 750Ti. That's fairly cheap as far as GPUs go, but somehow almost 2 generations later it's still going for $120-150.

I never understood the meme of that card. x60 is the minimum tier for even slightly serious gaming, x50 being the bare minimum. Anything lower always has been and always will be hardware acceleration for multimonitor, video decoding/encoding, etc.All of a sudden with the 700 series this shit-tier became some huge draw, with all the "superclock" and "OC" editions normally kept for proper gaming cards, like x80.

kek
That depends entirely on the game, you should know that.
Almost certainly better off with a 960.
Almost certainly better off with a K variant for overclocking.

I've got one, but I want something a bit more portable.
Something I can bust out on a busy subway train, or something I can use while I'm standing around in a waiting room or something.
I thought I made it clear that I'm only interested in emulation on this phone, but I guess not.
I just want to play SNES/GBA games on this.

I5 6400 is shit. No i5 should lose to a same gen i3 in performance.

trustedreviews.com/intel-core-i5-6400-review-performance-and-verdict-page-3

Would someone please help me?

I tried to make a thread...
can't access it
my question was where can I buy a dvd drive that supports reading raw binary data

ssd.userbenchmark.com/

Well I want a new battle station desk, and I am not sure what to get, can you make a suggestion from this list?
mylionshome.com/furniture-computer-desks/
I am using 2 monitors and a full tower.

Was suggested this as an alternate. Thoughts? pcpartpicker.com/p/pvvGmG

I'm Ukrainian, I like anime and I have no idea who on earth are you talking about tbh.

I wanted to get one of those tablets that comes with a keyboard attached, transformerbooks or whatever they call them now. Can anyone recommend a good one?

bump pls.

emphasis on portable, for running, don't need big library

life proof would be preferable

Are there any flaws or other considerations about 4K monitors that I should be aware of? Some kind of monitors I should avoid maybe?

I know games won't run as well, obviously, due to the larger resolution. But I don't care about that.

Also, I will be switching from windows phone to android (f-droid on bb10). When using WP8 I really liked the OneNote app, and how when I edited it, it would sync with the app on my computer.. Does f droid offer something similar at no price?

I posted this in the wrong sticky.

Pls help.

I'm strongly leaning towards just going for that Surface.

What the fuck is your budget?
If you're a poorfag I still suggest going for the Chuwi Hi8 (yes I am that guy)

Oh wow, what the fuck? Unless that's a really low-end i5 skylake a shit.

Sad!

That's better, but your budget is somewhat difficult to consider when now the GPU isn't showing a price.

Under 400.

Ruizu make good ones if you don't mind ordering from china. They even have custom firmwares.

Solid battery life and flac support, if it matters, from what I've heard. I just use my phone though.

2016 Hot Original RUIZU X02 MP3 Player 1.8"TFT Screen HiFi 4GB storage Sport Music Mp3 Player FM Recorder E-Book Clock MP3 Stock
s.aliexpress.com/qe2QzyEN
(from AliExpress Android)

2015 New Arrive Ultrathin 8gb MP3 Player With 1.1 Inch Screen Touch button Can Play 100 hours,Original RUIZU X05 With FM,E-Book
s.aliexpress.com/6V7VNzYB
(from AliExpress Android)

If it must be a tablet than the Pro 2 doesn't sound bad if its still available

what is the cheapest phone that supports 4g and WiFi? bonus points for gps

Oukitel c3?
Idk.

Are you American? Can't you get shit like $40 lumia 640s and $10 moto e phones?

Looking through it now. thanks.

I travel to a lot of conventions and I need a portable power supply for 2 laptops and a laser printer/scanner combo.

The conventions I go to charge me to have power at a rate of $35-$60 per show. I plan to attend at least 15 conventions each year.

I found this and it looks great, but it's potentially 190 lbs plus I'm sure it's damn expensive.

newcastlesys.com/our-systems/power-pack-series

I'm an American. can you get them unlocked for $10?

What does that mean? See pic related, GPU is priced at $330. As for my budget, this build costs about $100 more than the AMD one plus I'm biased against Intel, thus my reluctance.

Doesn't gotta be, but it certainly is nice.

I went for the Surface Pro 2. They still had it. From what I've observed over the past few days, it looks like the specs of the Surface Pro 2 are probably not the absolute most ideal at that price point, but are pretty damn close, and combined with the form factor and likely ability to up my art game big time with the purchase of a $10 pen from eBay (I'm not good at art, but I'd like to be), this is probably just the best option. The reasonably big SSD also means it should work fast as fuck when I think about it.

Since this comes with Windows 8.1, what do I need to do to strip it of the MUH BOTNET stuff?

Install Linux?

Why is botnet an issue anyways?

Good ereader for around $150 or less that can read pdfs? I'd prefer if it were the ones without the backlight but it doesn't really matter. Almost all of the reading done on this will be pdfs.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thinking of buying a new laptop and handing down my old to little bros.

I originally was going to go for a chromebook for the security, but a thinkpad seems pretty cool too. How does it handle games like sc2? How does the security upon purchasing compare to chromebook?

also, what would the downsides be of buying from ebay/amazon?

Batteries degrade, and Thinkpads aren't brand new. Read what the seller defines "refurbished" as, it usually means that it can hold a charge for at least half an hour. Personally my Ebay Thinkpad lasts about 3 on Ubuntu, and I have a friend who gets decent battery life on his as well. Just be aware it's possible you get a shit battery.
You want to go for the bigger refurbishers. They usually have MSPaint tier thumbnails, which is better than the generic dimly lit pic of a Thinkpad on the carpet. These guys deal in bulk, so the laptops are usually from businesses that want to upgrade. They're generally in better condition.

Chromebooks come with Linux. They should be about as safe as any other distro. If you're planning on wiping the Thinkpad and sticking Ubuntu on there there's no difference.

If you're going for a Thinkpad try the T420. It's usually got a Sandy Bridge i5 and 4GB of RAM, but there's an Nvidia version out there as well. Both should easily play older games, but I haven't played Starcraft so I can't say. Minecraft is bearable on Linux on my T420, for reference.

The Sansa Clip+ was a meme for a little while

I'm pretty Holla Forums illiterate, so thanks for the easy to read response.

So how does buying a used laptop work with IPs and everything? If the previous owner was a CP addict, will I be closely monitored and possibly mistaken for him?

Or can I adopt a new IP/ internet identity on a used laptop? I don't exactly get how that works, so if you can provide a link or something that'd be great. I barely even know what an IP even is, let alone a VPN.

I'm in the process of trying to remove my digital footprint, and I don't want to add any new tracks anytime soon.

So basically a thinkpad is customer friendly laptop that can also act as a tablet? Customer friendly as in you can replace parts yourself, perform maintainence, etc

What other advantages does it offer? Is it decisively better than a chromebook or some cheapo laptop, or maybe even a higher end one like an Asus?

Your IP is tied to the way you're accessing the Internet, not the device itself. Computers connected to the Internet in your house have the same IP as far as websites are concerned. In other words the only way you'll be busted for CP by IP is if someone in your house is downloading it.
On top of that office surplus computers have to have the hard drives destroyed or wiped. The resellers usually add a new drive or reinstall Windows, so there's no way you'll have files from the previous user.

Thinkpads are big, thick laptops made for business. While consumer laptops are made to break as soon as possible so you buy a new one, business ones are made to last. They also sometimes have things like smart card readers, or fingerprint readers.
They aren't tablets, but some of them have weird gimmicks. There's the X220t, which lets the screen pivot and fold down backwards for use as a tablet. There are also weird ones with fold out screens, or folding keyboards, but they're expensive. The main ones are the T60, which can run from 100% libre software might be the X60, can't remember, T420 for general use and X200 for a slightly smaller form.
They're quite easy to maintain. They're easy to open, and IBM and Lenovo don't solder RAM in like Apple started doing. Depending on the model you might have to remove a lot of screws to get to some parts though. Hard drive, RAM, Ethernet card and WAN card have their own easy access hatches. The battery is also replaceable.
As far as other advantages go, they're made of thick plastic. They can take a beating, and lots of them have spill canals to divert water around the insides if you spill some on it. The keyboard is really good as well, and I can easily get up to 80WPM touchtyping on it. They also have amazing Linux support, and most distros run perfectly out of the box.

Can't say much about Chromebooks because I haven't used them, but I've heard a guy here say the Dell Chromebook 15 is good. They've got great battery life, and run Linux with a few tweaks.
Never get a cheapo laptop. They're made to break. They also cost more than a used Thinkpad.
Lenovo makes new Thinkpads, but they've removed all the interesting things that made them good. You're better off with the older ones.

tldr: Thinkpads are thick, reliable slabs of plastic. T420 and X200 are bland, simple computers and they'll last you forever. T/X60 is completely libre, and Stallman approved.

I'd like to get a pre-built, or order a PC from a website that builds a PC from ground up for you with parts picked out, but I'm not sure where to look without getting ripped off. Suggestions?

should I be worried?

I'd really like one of the thinkpads that can detatch and act as a tablet. Are they any good?

Ah, I believe it's lenevo that makes the detachable tablet ones. What exactly would I be loosing by getting one of those?

I'm looking to buy an external hard drive enclosure for a simple JBOD raid (I'll be using NFS). USB 3.0 is necessary, but thunderbolt would be a nice plus. Obviously you get what you pay for, but can any of you recommend something of acceptable quality for a reasonable price?

Or should I just buy an external My Book Duo which I can put in JBOD?

*I'll be using ZFS

I'd REALLY love to have a screen that detaches from the keyboard (don't know the name for this as it's not exactly a tablet, is it?), but I don't want to sacrifice processing power - since I'd also love to be able to play sc2 on the same device.

Is anything like this available?

What would a new Lenovo thinkpad that does be lacking?

According to some forum posts an i3 T420 can run SC2 on low without any framerate drops, but has issues with 4v4. Most Thinkpads around that age have i5 versions, so they should be able to run Starcraft 2. The X220t has a swivelling screen which can close backwards. It's the closest to a tablet you'll get from the older ones, and it should run SC2 just fine.

As for the newer ones I haven't got any hands on experience, but they scrapped a lot of the things that made Thinkpads unique. They're thinner, have a few less features and are made with cheaper plastic. They dumped the keyboard design for the one every other laptop manufacturer uses as well. The second and third pic are old and new thinkpads respectively.

user you're so cool, and nice dub dubs. Seriously thanks for the dank responses.

My current laptop has issues with 4v4 as well (also have to run everything on low) - it's not a HUGE issue but obviously I'd prefer to run everythng smoothly on high.

So, to be clear, the X220t is an IBM made machine, not levono? (lelohno, ha). From my brief searches it seems that the X220t is a lenovo.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

It must be an older moldel of the X220t you're speaking of then?

are other options of convertible laptops worth considering?

Lenovo's earlier Thinkpads are about the same as the IBM ones. It's the later Lenovo ones that started messing with the quality. All 3 of those laptops in the pics are by Lenovo, but the first 2 are from before they started chucking out features.
IBM made the X60t, and Lenovo's X220t is a modern version of it. The build quality's mostly the same, but the 220 is much faster.
As for other convertibles, I've heard the Microsoft Surface 2 is pretty good. It's quite expensive though, and Linux support is still being worked on. There are a few Chinese companies making computers with it's form factor, but I have no idea if the build quality is any good.
Lastly if you're getting an X220t make sure it actually has a touchscreen. For some reason I've seen listings for them which had non-touch screens. If the listing doesn't mention a touchscreen assume it doesn't have one.

So is the entire X220t line solid, even a 2016 one? Not that I'm getting a brand new one, but as an example. Or is there a particular year that I should be looking for?

Thank you! The only problem I foresee with it is it's bulk - it may be uncomfortable to browse while laying in bed, or wanting to read like I would an ereader.

They don't make the X220t anymore. They're all the same quality.
A lot of the pics I've seen show the battery poking out the back. I don't know if they're all like that but Lenovo sells extended batteries that a lot of people use as handles. It's not as light as an iPad, but it shouldn't be any more annoying to hold than a big novel.

Awesome. I think I'm sold. Thanks for the rec user. Couldn't find any on ebay, but just found one on craigslist for even cheaper with tons of hook ups :3

I have an X201t, very similar model. It weighs 4 pounds. The X-series Tablets are just Wacom display tablets on an X-series ThinkPad, and the most common models have ONLY pen input. There are Multi-Touch versions that allow fingers, so look for that, like the other guy said.

It's a fantastic laptop, but it's a way different than a traditional tablet. Yes, it might be a little uncomfortable to use as an ereader considering it's a laptop first and a tablet second. But, I still use it like a tablet for stuff, so whatever. Look up the dimensions and try to get in your mind the size of it.

I say go for it, gaming will still be limited because Intel GPU but if all you care about is SC2 than I imagine you can play on low. Keep your options open and make sure it's what you want, because it sucks to get an expensive gadget and have high expectations blown. Even though X-series Tablets are fucking cool as shit.

What's th difference between an x220 and an x220t?

Jus bought it. Was advertised as an x220t but was actually an x220.. what are the difference

I mean it's a 2 in 1 and seems just like the x220ts I saw on youtube

Wait, is an X220 Tablet the same as an X220t?

Lol it is huh

The X220 has two hinges like a normal Thinkpad. It's not touchscreen, and works like a smaller version of the T420.
The X220t, or X220 Tablet, has one swivel hinge in the center and a touchscreen. It's what you want if you want a convertible

X220 is a normal laptop.

X220t (notice the "t") or X220 Tablet has the swivel screen and touchscreen.

I am in a conundrum, Holla Forums I am somewhat tech savvy, but not on specifics.

My current rig:
1TB hdd (main)
120gb SSD (for vidya)
2x240gb spare HDD's for media storage

2x8gb 1600 ddr2 mem
i7 3770k (stock, not oc'd yet)
gtx 970
mid-range mobo

I'm thinking of buying a 1080 once they drop. Would this be moot, due to my otherwise somewhat outdated hardware? Or would the 3770k hold up, do you guys think?

I run a 1920x1050 monitor and recent games are starting to take a dive in FPS. I used to get 50-60 in everything, now games, like say Black Desert Online hover around 30-40, with dips to 15ish. I play it on medium too.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Also yes I know I'm a good goy I'm sorry.

Thank you, realized how retarded I was just after typing that post.

Anyway, my next urgent issue will be taken to the software questions sticky:
How does one uninstall windows completely? It's wiped from the system, currently with no operating system on it. Will that remove ANY & ALL of Microsoft slimy fingers from it? Any other tips?

In preparation for the TPP I'm slowly, but surely, amassing my vidya backlog and using whatever spare hard drives I find around the house and work or given by friends.
Now so far I've only been using 2,5" SATA USB adapter, but I will definitely need to use regular, 3,5" IDE (and maybe 2,5" IDE) drives as well. So which of these would you recommend buying? ignore borkbork

techtrade.si/product.asp?pf_id=0086403&dept_id=9550
techtrade.si/product.asp?pf_id=9816015&dept_id=9550
enaa.com/oddelki/conrad/izd_6228_co990636_ide-_sata-kabel_usb_2_0_logilink_au0006c
enaa.com/oddelki/racunalnistvo/izd_3320_emau0006d_pretvornik_usb_ide_sata_za_hdd_logilink

Nigger what the fuck
I thought people always said the best way to do this would be the other way around: OS on SSD, vidya and everything else on HDD. What is the point of playing games from an SSD? Shorter install times? Faster load times? Quicker quicksaves?

wow.
you might be even dumber than him

I won't count that out as possibility.

So an X220t can't run fully from Libre software then? How can I get the closest?

If you delete all the partitions you delete Windows. You can do it while installing something else.
If you're installing Linux get a package called TLP. It's a laptop power management thing, which increases battery life.

It should be able to run libre Linux distros without any issues, but the underlying BIOS isn't open. You can install libreboot on older IBM thinkpads, like the X60.

And there's no way to mod the BIOS? I'm willing to pay for some wacky aftermarket DIY type thing if it's worth it.

What does the BIOS not being open really mean anyway? As in, how does that affect a freetard?

To install libreboot to an X60 you need to solder a SBC to a chip and flash it. Other laptops have security measures in place to stop people doing this, or they're so badly documented that nobody knows what to flash to it.

BIOS is code. It's usually closed source. People who like open source want an open source BIOS, and that's what libreboot is.
They have a few good reasons. Companies have been caught with malicious code in their BIOSes before, and there are things like BIOS whitelists that stop you putting certain things in your laptop.
You don't have to do it unless you want a computer running off 100% Free software.

Is it worth getting a 4k monitor yet or should I just settle with 1440? Is it worth getting a 120hz 1440 monitor for playing games?

Can I get a rec for a good sound system for my new PC build? Not really enthusiast sound guy but I'd like some surround sound as well as a good microphone.

That sounds a little weird. But 3D MMOs, especially Korean ones, are unoptimized as fuck. Honestly some recent games of late run really fucking bad, Doom beta was chugging for me with a i7-3770k and a GTX 770. A 3-year-old rig shouldn't run that fucking abysmal but Doom found a way.

You should just hold off and deal with it at least until the year is over, and then evaluate your options. Intel has Kaby Lake processors coming, AMD has Zen processors and Polaris GPUs coming, and of course Nvidia has their new junk.

Your rig is still pretty fresh and should serve you for a couple more years well.

(I also assume you mean DDR3 memory, I don't even think DDR2 has been supported since Core 2)

I'm thinking of buying 24 GB of ECC DDR3 RAM for 50 bucks. should i go through with it?

I mean 100% free would be nice. I'd be willing to throw down the money and time to have a laptop I wholeheartedly love.

Do you have sauce for doing this successfully to an x220t? I've never even soldered anything before, and have only taken apart a laptop once but I think it'd be worth it to have a libreboot compatible device.

You can't do it to an X220t. The libreboot team have to tailor it to every device they support, and they don't support it yet.
100% free would be great, but it's very had to find computers like it nowadays. Unless you're Richard Stallman you probably don't need it and he uses an X60 with Libreboot last time I checked

Like the other guy said it's not available for X220t and not going to be in the foreseeable future. Only a handful of laptops are supported, and there are many exceptions even with those models. DON'T try to flash Libreboot on anything that isn't confirmed or you will end up with an actual useless slab of plastic and silicon.

There are sites that sell pre-configured Libreboot ThinkPads but they are sold at an generous markup. To me it's all a big dumb joke.

You can still use GNU/Linux-libre OSes like Trisquel or Parabola, they will work great on anything but 99 times out of 100 you'll have a non-free WiFi adapter so you'll have to get a new one. So to be honest, unless you really really really care about using 110% libre software, well, BIOS doesn't matter too much.

My mom wants a laptop for looking up recipes and checking email.
should I get her a thinkpad or a chromebook? any recommended models?

just get her the cheapest one you can find.She doesn't need high specs at all.

I've got $500 to spend on a laptop, I've been looking into maybe buying this one:
amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-6-Inch-Performance-Processor/dp/B01CQEKH46/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc

The problem is, if I do buy it, I've always heard HDD hard drives are shit so if that turns out to be true I will want to buy a SSD. My question is, is it worth it? Should I even mess with trying to get a new hard drive for it, or just get a different laptop itself?

From the amazon reviews:

Unless you really need the touchscreen I'd recommend a Thinkpad T420. It's about the same weight and easy to upgrade, and should be a lot cheaper.

OK. If it were doable, within reason, I'd go for it. But it it's a not a huge deal to me. Thanks user.

Using the parts I got on this sticky I managed to resurrect a dead PC, and now I'm thinking of upgrading the storage space in it.

What brand/version of HDD should I get? Trying to find something with fast read/write speeds that will be running about 14 hours a day.

H G S T
G
S
T

Is it ever a good idea to use high static pressure fans for intake/outtake?
For instance when behind a dust filter?

Someone please put me out of my misery.

if 's advice is to expensive a Western Digital is almost close.
But never get a Segate as they have a very shit reputation for a very good reason.

Considering buying a docking station for my ThinkPad. To anyone who has one; are they worth it?

So I've been looking at Lenovo Yoga Thinkpad 2-in-1 (SKU 4456400 at the display in bestbuy) and have been searching online for one.

It'll mostly be used for school and work, but I am concerned about its security.

Since IBM moved to Lenovo, are the later versions worth it? Do they perform better, have any restrictions, or any odd anti-freedom quirks to them?

I used to own a thinkpad that ran ubuntu when I was in school as a kid and loved it, but I'll admit I'm a bit paranoid about the streamline changes especially with it coming packed with windows 10.

Are there any open-source'ish desktop computers that aren't ARM/Intel/PowerPC?

It can be really weak computationally - I'd like to be able to build a kit computer that would be at least as powerful as say an Amiga 4000T in terms of graphics capabilities/computing power, but without any binary blob firmwares and shit like that

I've been considering getting an external wifi antenna for my laptop because the internal one has piss-poor range and linux wifi drivers are rubbish.
Do they all work independantly or will I need to install a driver, and which ones are the best?

I found this Propeller C3 board, I wonder if you could write a general purpose OS for it?

parallax.com/product/32209

USB ones should just be plug and play on Linux. Try and find one that's known to work, because not all of them are supported.
If you mean just an antenna to use with the existing wifi card then you won't need a driver for that.

What sub-£30 ($45) music player would you recommend me?

I found this sd reader shuffle for $8.20

spemall.com/Clip-MP3-Player-for-Stereo-Audio-Musics-Playback-with-Micro-sd-Card-Slot_g.html

do bluetooth headphones (wireless) suck? I've owned ATHm50s in the past, was thinking about getting Seinheisers or AKG this time around, and saw AKG has a chordless series. Would I be sacrificing a lot of sound quality for the bluetooth chordless feature?

As a general rule in life.
Wired >>>>>> Wireless. So yes.

do you guys buy used smartphones?

The only smartphone I would ever buy used are expensive top-of-the-line flagship phones, because everything made underneath those are pretty much built with planned obsolescence and aren't made to last, always do research before making any kind of purchase decision, that's a given

I bought an LG G Stylo from Cricket a year ago, still running solid with no problems and great battery life. Cost $100, big screen, and can run vidyas.

Yeah, I also have the Stylo

If you think this phone is good I feel genuinely sorry for you, its a cheapy piece of shit with a severely borked Snapdragon 410 based on a fucking ARM Cortex A-53 without out-of-order, and a kernel stuck in 32-bit mode with almost no aftermarket ROM support and a horrible PPI with a shit 720p screen

This is the definition of cheap budget device, I still use my Galaxy S4 for a lot of things because the screen on this has a very limited contrast range in comparison and a slow as fuck processor, the only reason I got this was because the microsd slot on my S4 broke and I needed a new phone in the meantime, I plan on getting an S6 soon to replace this piece of shit

You feel bad for me, because my phone has lasted a little while and does everything I want it too without costing allot?

What's wrong with 32-bit exactly?

Its a 64-bit processor with extra instructions not being taken advantage of

I'm looking for half-decent headset in under 40$
I'm not a headphone expert, so I don't much care about the exact type and size, I just want them to not have the damn speaker-to-mic feedback that most shitty headphones have.

I might be interested in phone/tablet.

Is there any that is trustworthy?

Meaning I can compile and reflash the bios, change the os and either has no GSM chip or has an open one? (I recall something about GSM chip possibly have r/w access to memory, which is unacceptable.)

Does any such device exist?

What should I be looking for in motherboards? Is there something I should avoid?

Other than the number of available USB/PCI/RAM slots.

If youre overclocking look for more chokes.
If it's a gamurr motherboard its gonna have enough though, and the # of chokes is only really an issue on

I need a new OS for a new computer I will be building. I am thinking about Kubuntu. Yes? No?

There's nothing wrong with Kubuntu, so sure. If you don't have experience with Linux set up Virtualbox and use Ubuntu and it's variants to see which one you like.

ya. they're super nifty (one button detach from cables) & cheap. docking can be finicky though

what's better: x220t or x60t?

so basically an x60 is a weak little bitch version of an x220t but it has an open sourced BIOS? I'm a pleb so I've never upgraded my RAM myself, would it be worth it? Can I get an x60 up to 8gb of RAM?

get an x200. it's slightly more expensive (still dirt cheap) than the x60, more powerful, and you can still libreboot on it if you so desire

How much could I get out of a computer for $1200? My old rig died and it was essentially the one I've had forever & now, I'm saving to get a new one and I don't know if I can do better or worse for $1200 or not. It was a $500 basic asus build but I am a scrub with little to no experience beyond replacing ram and scrapping old computers carefully for part resale. Got the mechanical, retarded at knowing what to look for.
Please assist?

Holla Forums plz,

I'm planning to build a new machine with a non-pozzed OS for about €1,200 ($1,350 USD, but you know that shit ain't cheap here in Middle Earth).

I like playing games but I'm easily amused so no need for graphical whoredom.

Throw a Yuropoor a bone and point me to a guide or some shit. Can't be arsed trawling through dipshits on jewgletube.

Both of you need to specify if you need any peripheral stuff - monitors, speakers, etc - with that.
If you already got those, 1200$ can get you a really decent rig that will last you several years. it's not gonna be highest end, but it's never worth buying the highest end tech, because the prices are always inflated, and it usually "offers you" stuff that's not gonna be required for most games for at least a year.

For me (Stallman with the katana) I'd need a monitor and I know nothing about them so I'm a prime dupe.
Thanks Holla Forums.

Techno-Skull here;
I have a good mic, good monitors, great headphones and all the basic furnishings aside from a working machine.

Okay, I'm a bit out of touch with the current parts, but I can give you some guidelines.
Fair warning though, there is a chance that a lot has changed since I was building my rig, so if anybody responds to me saying "you fucking retard, go kill yourself >>>/reddit/", they might have good reasons for that.

First off, pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ is a really decent site that will help you make sure that all the parts are compatible, even if you know jack squat about them.

Processor:
Holla Forums generally agrees that intel are fucking jews and AMD are bros. So you don't want intel.
Unfortunately, AMD is planning to release a brand new architecture soon and completely disregard the old one, so you won't be able to upgrade your processor without also upgrading your motherboard. But don't worry, you probably won't need to upgrade at all until 2020+.

Pick an 8core ~4.0GHz proc. You can generally assume that higher numbers = better, but the frequency is more important than cores most of the time. If you have to chose between 12x3.0 and 8x4.5, go with the latter.

*Note: pcpartspicker claims that only a few motherboards can handle a high wattage processor, so I'd pick something below 200W.

Motherboard:
The processor you picked is almost certainly an AM3 or AM3+ socket, so just grab any motherboard that fits that, does not look like a piece of cheap crap and fits 32GB of ram. I'd personally go with an ASRock. 970 EXTREME4 seems like a solid pick (if you didn't pick a 200+W processor, because it supposedly can't handle it)

RAM:
Grab literally any 2x8 rams, you're probably going to double that at some point in the future, but you don't need more yet.
If you want to cut the price by a bit, choose something that looks dirt ugly. Some manufacturers really just raise the price because muh-transparent-case-pro-gamers want to have rams that look edgy.

CPU Cooler:
I have no clue, either grab the most mainstream Cooler Master or something from Scythe, I hear that they are underappreciated but really good.
You probably want to have that 2000 max RPM.

Storage:
Really depends, but the popular thing now is to have 3+TB HDD and

Thanks, mang, I'll check it out in the next few weeks!

do they make tablet versions with touch? Having trouble finding my ideal model here. Want something that's convertible, has multitouch with pen/digitizer and fingers and I can use libreboot from (so open source BIOS). My last criteria is having enough RAM to run Starcraft 2, or at least being able to upgrade it to that point.

This x200t seems like what I'm looking for, thanks for the rec user. What are the major difference between it and the x220t?

Is a bb10 z30 one of these?

From personal experience the Z30 is rock solid. All you have to worry about is RIM ditching BB10 for Android, but if that happens it'll happen in a few years at least.

Awesome. I feel the same way about it being so solid. Definately going to return this new one, thanks to Amazon's gr8 return policy :^)

I dislike buying new things when used exist, feels too consumerist when we're experiencing deforestation and such..

Considering buying a new pair of "cans".

Am I pleb if I go with meme-50s? I like the idea of not requiring an amp. As far as open or closed go, I know open offers better sound, but I just don't wanna lug around an amp..

Alternatively, I've considering a few open ended headphones, from AKG, Audio Technica and Seinheiser.

You should probably still have somebody confirm what I said.
It might be outdated bullshit

What is a portable media player that has good battery life, and supports at least Opus and MP3? Needs to have SD card support of some kind.

Yeah, cheap laptop is best. Chromebooks tend to fill this niche well.

Rate my upgrade /10.

Current:
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz
GPU - Nvidia GT440 800MHz card modified with 4GB of GDDR, stolen from a surveillance system PC.
PSU - Thermaltake 600W.
RAM - 8GB Kingston.
HDD - 2x500GB, the system drive is possibly damaged, the other 500GB drive isn't.
MTB - Old MSI motherboard that might be dying.

Things to replace:
CPU - G3258 3.2GHz
GPU - R7 250 1Ghz
HDD - 1TB HDD replacing the faulty system drive (keeping the old but healthy 500GB HD)
MTB - Gigabyte B85M-D3H.

If I manage to sell off the old GPU and the old CPU, I might squeak by with a very low upgrade cost. I'm mostly concerned about replacing the Intel Core 2 Quad with the G3258. The current CPU costs $185 on the market, and is a QUAD core, whereas the G3258 is a $90 dual core. Despite being faster (3.2 vs 2.5Ghz) I'm afraid the new CPU might degrade my computer use. Does anyone who knows about this stuff want to weigh in? Is the difference between two vs four cores really that great?

Thanks in advance guys.

(not a gayman, sounds like PC is actually a tool to you, not just a toy)/10

looking for a wireless mouse for my laptop, what does Holla Forums recommend??

got a redundant question for you guys.
I was thinking of picking myself up an external HDD. For obvious reasons, back up games and so forth. Would a 2 TB platter be fine, what brand would you recommend I pick up as well?
The higher is it for under 200$ the better. So I can take some stress off my internal HDD's. Thanks in advance!

I'd like some help with choosing a new mouse, please.

Long Story:

My 2013 Deathadder recently became unusable, and I've replaced it with an Abyssus I've got as a gift last xmas. However, I'm now feeling a bit of pain on my wrist and fingers as well as numbness after playing for 20-30 minutes.

I have fat, big hands (Circumference: 22.5 cm/8.85 inch; Length: 19.5 cm/7.6 inch; Hand span: 23 cm/9 inch) I use a fingertip grip since I was little, but now I'm trying to get used to claw/palm grip, and maybe that's a contributing factor for the pain.

I've also started to use a lower mouse sensitivity than what I'm used to, since my current work requires a bit more precision.

TL; DR: I'm trying to find a big, precise mouse that will help me transition to claw/palm grip and avoid pain. Help please?

My Babby's first self build PC:

GIGABYTE Z170-D3H
i5-6500
GIGABYTE GTX 970 WINDFORCE 3X Gaming OC 4GB
Kingston 8GB KIT DDR4 2666MHz CL15
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 (550W 92% efficiency)

Is the PSU enough? Maybe get a cheaper CPU?

The G3258 will be significantly better for single-threaded applications, Core 2 Quad might inch ahead in multi-threaded applications simply because more corez. The G3258 will have lower power consumption too, it's 53W TDP.

Go for it, totally. Great price for that CPU.

If you're worried about multithreaded stuff maybe check out an i3 or and FX processor?

I found a 6 drive SCSI backplane made in 2000 by etrunk for foxconn, is this worth anything?

what's a good price for an X60 Tablet with 1400x1050 display? The SXGA+ model.

GA-970A-UD3
FX-8120
EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+
Corsair Vengence 2x8GB 1600MHz DDR3
NZXT 650W PSU
WD Blue 1tb
Shitty IBuyPower Case
Shitty IBuyPower Water-cooler that is probably dry. (overheats like crazy)

What would be the best bang for buck upgrades?
SSD?
New CPU still on the AM3+ socket?
Sell 970 for 1070 when it releases?
Wait for AMD releases?
Jump on Intel?

I would suggest the SDD as it is massive performance and useablilty increase over a HDD.

heres my advice:

gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl=91QSCI16109305

buy them if you live in Arizona

you can buy used G3258s for $40-45 in the US

But only has a fraction of the capacity at twice the price.

Anyone?

Are you poor or something ? Just invest in a normal pc around $600 with a amd processor fx 8350 and a medium tier gpu like the R9 270 or gtx 770 at least

Maybe user only needs a PC for work, and not bibeo geyms

Thanks mate. Are multi threaded apps that common?

Because of the virtual cores/hyperthreading? I'm still learning sorry.

Price is key. I got kids and don't want to blow money on a rig when they might get sick or something the next day.

Yeah this is something I work with. If I'm going to game it's going to be low res games to pass the time in between shit I gotta do.

Are there any good processors with an AM3 socket out there?
I'm currently rocking a Phenom II X6 1090T (45nm) and am thinking of upgrading it to something more modern.
So what I'm basically asking is if I either can just buy a new processor or if I have to get a new motherboard with a newer socket?
I'm using the PC for some basic video encoding and gaming.

Si just buy whatever?
Thanks user.

Don't buy an external, buy an internal + a matching case.
You should be able to cut at least 20% of the price simply because you put a thing in a box yourself.
Seagate drives are pretty reliable.
They case does not have to come from the same manufacturer, but it has to be the same size. I feel like this needs to be pointed out, because I remember somebody fucking up and buying a smaller case than the drive, then blaming Holla Forums for not telling him.

Need a mouse that will last me over a year. I like the wireless ones without many features (simplistic).

logitech makes ok ones.

I just bought two for $190, with battery, charger and docking station. How'd I do fam?

How is the Huawei Mate S? Doesn't cost a fortune but still has pretty good specs. The screen is just the 5,5 I was kinda looking and I want an OLED phone screen.

So I'm interested in building my first rig. I want to emulate the GameCube and Wii, but dolphin's FAQs recommend Intel CPUs when I was interested in AMD. Does anyone with an AMD CPU care to share how dolphin runs for them?

At this point I'd love to invest in an i5 (as I read how they are the best for gaming), but if I can save money and fund a company that is friendlier to OSS I want to go that route.

Tl;Dr what amd CPU is good for emulation (specifically Dolphin)

The reason why they shill for Intel is simply because they aren't wanting to take advantage of multi-threading, which is where current gen AMD succeeds. If you really want AMD, just wait until Zen-based CPUs hit the market in October. That way you'll be able to have a cheaper CPU, and be able to run on DDR4 RAM.

gsmarena.com/blu_studio_c-7290.php

Can this phone run a DS emulator competently, or no?

I just want to play DS romhacks and listen to music and maybe browse the web a bit while I'm out and about, but can't lug a laptop around with me.

You'll get a slideshow, that hardware is shitty for 2013 standards, let alone 2016

Fuck.
Anything in the $100-$150 range that can run a DS emulator?
I know nothing about cellphones.

You'll want to go for a Snapdragon device, or a device with a Samsung processor, not all Samsung devices have Samsung chips, some of them have Snapdragons

Nvidia Tegra is out of the question because of your price range

If you want a portable device that can play DS emulators, tablets are also an option, I'm posting from a Chuwi Hi8 probably the best specs you'll get for the price and can also play a lot of modern PC games really well, its a Chinese offbrand but its a really good device imo

Samefag here
forgot to mention, its generally safe to stay as far away from Mali GPUs as possible, and try avoiding Allwimmer and MediaTek, they're cheap SoCs and not very good, their gimmick is having open BIOS' something rare for ARM chips, but they're just really fucking slow

Bump

On second thought the OnePlus 2 looks better in all regards except for the LCD screen and it costs the same. But then I read that the OnePlus 3 might come out within a month which supposedly has OLED and other hardware improvements like better the new snapdragon.
Fuck I hate buying new phones.

Thanks a lot.
It helps a ton, knowing what to actually look for.

I have the option to buy a T420 or a similarly priced T430, the latter presumably being in a somewhat better condition. I might use it to emulate Gamecube/Wii games. Is the classic keyboard worth it over the better GPU and slightly faster CPU?

Since neither can be librebooted AFAIK:
get fastest one
get external keyboard
profit

my 0.02USD

I don't know how to search for this information, so I have to ask here:

Is there an old-fashioned cellphone with basic functions that also has ability to create wifi hotspot?

I hate smartphones, have a sim card with free internet - and would like to connect my tablet to it if need be (does not support sim cards by itself).

Pic related is something like what I'm looking for, just basic features (phone, sms, alarm) but that it has said ability.

I have some internals I could use. It really doesn't matter, I just lack the cords for what's need to make an internal an external. Well I may just go that route and what do you mean by cases some sort of simple cover for protection?
I can just do that then, that is cheaper.

How often should i change my watercooling setup?

I want to get a 4 bit binary to hexadecimal display IC. I know there are binary to hex 7-segment decoder ICs, but I'm not very good at electrical engineering, so the more integrated the decoder is with the display, the better. So far I've found two possible choices:
HP 5082-7340
TIL311
The TIL311 seems pretty expensive and old, and the HP 5082-7340 is cheaper but still more than I'd like to pay for the display. Are there any cheaper, more modern ICs that do the same job?

I hate to ask Holla Forums but I need help

I've been looking for an M-Disc BD-XL (quad layer 128GB) burner for the past 6 months, and none of the companies have given a clear answer IF their blu-ray burners do burn M-Discs at that format. The main faq also doesn't distinguish the max format and speeds each "supported" model meets:
mdisc.com/m-ready/

Here's all the homework I've been able to do:
- lg.com/us/support/products/documents/LG-DS-Spec-BE14NU40.pdf
Says it writes 128GB QL, but nothing on M-disc, only x4, which can mean anything, even CD.
- same info: lg.com/us/support/products/documents/BH14NS40.pdf

- lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-BP50NB40-external-blu-ray-dvd-drive
does BD-TL 100GB, but M-disc only BD-R SL 25GB

I called LG, 3 times, both didn't know how to answer me, the second guy confirmed that "BE14NU40 and BP50NB40 will be able to burn at those formats" sounding insecure.

I have yet to cover&review: Samsung, I-O Data, ASUS, Pioneer, Panasonic, Lite-On, Ritek | Imation, and others.

I can live with: 100GB XL/QL support, but 50GB DL is cutting it.

UNLESS
You can think of another more durable way of archiving files than M-Disc, be it cheaper-affordable for a consumer like me. Mostly looking to WORM, for a very long time.

I will not use tape drives, ever again, incl. HDs. SSD require power, and are not EMP tolerant.

I may log post here, if none can help

Is there a way I can share a mouse and keyboard between two laptops?

Preferably, I'd like to be able to press a button or a key in order to switch between the two.

Technically no, since those are peripherals. But you have options: Bluetooth devices with automacro switch, plug&play, third computer to mitigate hosts, buy another keyboard&mouse, lit. make your own switch/microcontroller

How good would this build be for gaming?
pcpartpicker.com/p/n3JV3F

p.s. i know a lot of the shit isn't needed there like the PSU but i want one i can use for several years without failures

So I have 1,900 dollars in the bank, its not nearly enough to get me completely through college so I just want to blow it all on the nicest laptop I can possibly get, something I can use to replace my current shitbox prebuilt AMD A4 desktop and still have around for the next 10 years or more

Apple has a Macbook Pro with 13-inch display for $1,799.00 but its just a dual-core i5 so I'm really skeptical about going that route but supposedly it perfoems great

Oh yeah, and if I do go for a Macbook, I will ditch OSX and put GNU/Linux or Windows on it instead

What do you nerds think? I know Macs are hated with a passion but if it works and there's no better alternatives I'll go for it but just give me honest non-bias input here bros

There's your problem.

If you want that kind of longevity, get a toughbook or other highly-ruggedized laptop from a big-name vendor (Getac, Dell, etc.). They won't be particularly nice, but they'll hold up and be supported for a decade no problem.

I need something to hold up hardware wise, something that'll play the latest vidya in 10 years, not necessarily physically tough, a lot of toughbooks I looked at had petty dated hardware

Good fucking luck.

Even at low settings man you know?

Let me put this in perspective for you.

Back in 2006, a hot-rod desktop had 2 GB of ram, a graphics card with a quarter of that, and a dual-core processor.

DOOM, the latest triple-A title, has minimum requirements of 8 GB of ram, a quad-core processor running at a higher clock speed, and graphics cards with 2 GB of ram.

Even with Moore's law slowing down, you don't stand a chance of getting a laptop that will meet minimum specs a decade from now.

I sure as fuck can try to make it stretch as long as I can m8, this has become a bike shed problem though, I just want to know what the absolute best possible laptop is hardware wise I can get for my budget of 1.9k

I have a computer with a 2600k i7 Jewtel cpu and a 16gb of ddr3 ram. The gpu needs to be replaced but I am considering just upgrading the whole system. Would I get away with playing the newest games at max settings with a 2600k and a nvidia 1080 for the next few years? Or will the cpu be a bottleneck for the gpu?

The 2600k is still fine.

lack of apps (something I underestimated in some areas, for I didn't know there wasn't any apps for things like Duolingo, Milkytracker / SunVox, and Antox / Signal)

unless you got something like a BB Classic or Passport, the sideloaded Lagdroid apps will be painful to deal with

there is only one native IRC client
there is only one adblocking software for the native BlackBerry browser, and you have to give money on BBWorld before you can use it, so either pay up or deal with shitty intrusive ads

In some ways, I regret buying my Q10 and just wish I should've bought a Droid 4 and installed Cyanogenmod + F-Droid onto it.
Project Ara is allegedly coming out in 2017, but I wouldn't put too much hope into it.

I know thinkpads tend to be a favorite around here and they happen to be a favorite of mine too. Since IBM merged/partnered with Lenovo I've been having trouble still finding a thinkpad that suits my needs.

Ubuntu on a toshiba satellite seems to have this issue of turning off the keyboard and mouse permanantly until restart when moved into tablet mode, and it's honestly not worth the hassle or windows 10 to have a dumb touchpad.

As cool as working ubuntu with touch was, I can't be jury-rigging shit. I need something good for work, like the classics, but I don't know if they sell IBM thinkpads anymore and if they do, if they're in good condition/unused.

What make/model of thinkpad is the most durable option when balancing, in order of importance, stability, power, battery-life, speed?

Thanks.

PS: I think some anons were discussing a thinkpad swivel touchscreen earlier here , does the touchpad seem to only have issues with linux distros or is it because mine's one of the windows 10 shillfest lineups?

Hi Holla Forums

I am a music/media producer looking to upgrade my lackluster system and go to the next level in my investment. My gaming laptop is breaking apart and workflow wise it is not holding up too well anymore.

I am quite inexperienced with hardware so I am just looking for some guidence into what components I should be taking a look at in order to build a desktop computer that can do the task of music production and video editing. I will need a lot of USB ports in order to accommodate my controllers and what not, a good processor, a huge amount of HD space and RAM are also important. It's just the other things that I am having a twist over...

Thank You.

What has happened to this board when I was inna/k/?

How's the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 for a person brand new to cell phones?
It was recommended to me by a few people here, and the specs look like they just can't be beaten for the price.

However, it's a Chinese company, so I'm afraid it's going to arrive and either not work with American apps, or be stuck in Chinese or something ridiculous like that.

hey Holla Forums, I currently have an old 22" inch HDTV serving as a monitor for my PC. It has a radeon r9 270x which can support a max 4096 x 2160 resolution. I'm stuck using VGA because the HDMI looks like dogshit on the TV.

Been wanting to upgrade it for a while, but I don't know where to start. I'd prefer to stay under $250 and 20"-24" range. LED is a must. Thanks in advance.

do you think intel is a big fat mess(it is), and do you understand why you shouldn't give them money(you shouldn't), get a amd fx8350, and build a system around that.

are you a filthy normalfag, get a I7 6700(k model optional, not really important if you're not overclocking), and build around that.

pcpartpicker.com

use that, it'll help.

you are one dumb nigger faggot. If you want I'll tell you what to do. Here's a hint: don't buy a $1000+ laptop and expect it to last.

I know no one replied, but does anyone care if I log my findings, in case others want to acquire another m-disc bd-xl writer?

e.g.
Asus: current supported model are: BW-16D1HT, BW-16D1H-U PRO, BW-12D1S-U, SBW-06D2X-U, SBW-S1 PRO
Of these 5, the 2 formers says they support m-disc. However according to the rep:
More on the rep:
Then after some canned re-responses from reinstating exactly what website says:

If you want a transcript, I have it.

I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the tech support thread. I've used PeerBlock for years, now it won't work unless I give it money I don't have. Are there any free/cheap (IE, no subscription fees) alternatives you'd recommend for a Win8.1 user who doesn't have time or skill to Linux yet and needs a stopgap?

Gee fucking wiz m8 excuse me for thinking you can get what you pay for. You're right, those 500 dollar laptops are guaranteed to last much longer.

Fuck man now I'm looking at an Alienware 17, this sounds nuts but it actually looks like a decent deal, its $1,599.99 for 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD+1TB HDD, and a Skylake quad-core i7, I'm just afraid they're cutting corners on build quality or some shit

I'm looking to build my first desktop in about 10 years. I wanted to go high end but it seems like after a while the only CPU you can get are Intel. Are there any other options?

And where are good places to buy parts secondhand? Would Amazon or eBay be good? Are there parts you should never buy secondhand, I'm guessing a GPU would be bad since you don't know how badly the guy kicked it around before selling it to you.

It's like reading a creepypasta.
Like, a GOOD creepypasta.
The kind where you open your eyes wide as your heart sinks into your stomach.

user I hope for your sake that this is a cruel, sick joke at our expense.
Please just respond to this with a "Haha I trolled you autistic faggots" so I can sleep at ease tonight.

Naw m8, after getting my Alienware I'll have just enough left to grab a pair of Beats

Getting a phone upgrade soon lads, mind spoonfeeding me the best one out there that works with AT&T?

What is the best libre, or at least privacy-respecting, alternative to Skype?

I say this not just because I am an asshole, but also because I care:
unless you can waste a thousand dollar and not even think twice about it, paying 1700 dollar for an overpriced gimmick alienware, is most likely the stupidest decision you are going to make for the next few years.
And you sound like someone that makes bad decisions.

just tell me you aren't serious, or I am going to have to write a longwinded response on what you should do.

Serious response on the off chance you're being real:
Spend $800 on a laptop now.
Spend $800 on a laptop five years from now.

I was just exploring my options and seeing your input on what you think, I wasn't being completely serious, obviously I'm not blowing nearly 2k on shit without doing some serious research

Anything particular you recommend?

Can't name any laptops off the top of my head but Logical Increments has a laptop recommendation section.
Some people hate Logical Increments but it's an excellent place to look for a quick and unbiased suggestion.

Couldn't find a thread about DACs for computer audio- I recently got the ultra low cost Linx 7 Windows 8.1 tablet which is surprisingly good, only problem is the crackly audio from the 3.5mm socket is unlistenable. My Fiio E-10 USB headphone amplifier gave good sound but it and many other headphone amplifiers are not viable as they are too delicate/expensive being designed for desk use. Is there such a thing as a simple, small (preferably micro-USB) DAC for decent (doesn't have to be audiophile) audio for my tablet? Do the actual DAC chips vary in sound quality?

Why not get a fullsize USB DaC and use a USB OTG cable?
Yes and no, it depends on many factors and discussion of this is more suited to its own thread probably, a lot of it is placebo.etc

I'm been using my x220i since 2013, it's a little on the slow side compared to current-gen Intel i-series based laptops but with 8gb RAM, SSD and IPS panel upgrades it's fine for my needs but most importantly it looks and feels like the classic Thinkpads unlike the post-2012 models (although I've heard Lenovo have been getting their act together recently). Also I never understood the appeal of trackpads- for example I findone-handed operation is much easier (and more accurate) with the trackpoint.

Still I miss my x41- With the x220 Lenovo made many small changes to the original Thinkpad design that add up to a more 'Chinese generic' (for want of a better word) appearance and this was carried on to the later Thinkpads, so if you are a diehard fan of the classic design an X41 with SSD and light Linux distro might be an option. Anyone run into difficulties obtaining the right drivers, etc. when installing Ubuntu/Mint or similar on older laptops to make them suitable for modern use?

Thanks I'll probably buy a cheap USB DAC then but I guess it won't have much depth or richness (entirely subjective of course) in the produced sound.

I like a lot of things about the macbook air, but I feel like I'm paying a lot just because it's apple, and I'm paying for OSX.
I'm basically looking for something with the advantages about the macbook air, but without the enourmous cost. I'll run linux on it btw.

The things I care about are: full HD screen, thin, small, long battery life, reasonably powerful, durable. That's all I need. I don't mind if it's a bit expensive.

Dell`s XPS line sounds like a good fit then.

Is it possible to change out the display on a t500 to another type (I.E WXGA ->WUXGA)? I'm having a hard time finding it anything other than 1280x800, so I was hoping that I can replace it.
Jewgle says it can be done pretty easily, but I want to make sure.

Pretty much XMPP with OTR.

wait for Zen so prices can adjust

buying parts secondhand can be a nightmare
you don't know if the psu is shot
you don't know if the hdd is at the cusp of dying
you don't know if the ssd has turned into read-only
you don't know if the gpu was used for mining or got tossed in the oven to eke out another year of life before it explodes

Which non-conductive thermal paste should I buy?
I was playing a simple game and my CPU hit 95C in temp, that shit spooked the fuck outta me

What good non-botnet options are there for amd cpus and motherboards? I heard the fx 8350 is good, but there aren't any motherboards that coreboot supports.

Hello!

I've been looking around for a great video editing mouse.

I've seen various gaming mice and one with features like side scrolling [which would be nice] the Logitech MX Master.

But my question is about which one is best from 12-15ft away. My machine sits near its designated monitor and I work from my seat which is too far for a non-wireless mouse and makes wireless mice not responsive enough for video work. Currently using a combo wireless keyboard with touch pad [more responsive than mice I've tried] but still isn't precise enough.

After a MIDI controller keyboard, mostly just to jam around on and learn to play, probably not going to be too fussed about actually producing music, so not sure how many sliders and knobs I'll actually end up needing.
These seem to be the most prominent ones within my budget (Low)
Anyone have any experience with them?

Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina 14g Polysynthetic Ceramic is what I used [i7 5930k] and it works well.
Some people suggest the carbon based one, same brand.

I'd pick between those.

Should I get an older pre-lenovo X60 Thinkpad or a ThinkPad X60 tablet? The tablet looks schway, b-but muh pride for IBM.

X60 Tablets have IBM branding, IIRC.

I need a new (internal preferably, is there any reason to go external) harddrive, that's a minimum of 4 TB, though higher would be welcome.

Any specific brands you recommend?

Western Digital Black [4TB] is great. Toshiba [current 6TB] have some good reviews as well.

I really feel like Holla Forums is dying. It's definitely been the recent exoduses. What's the second most popular Holla Forums besides HURR DURR INSTALL GENTOO LOL back on 4chan? Lain and endchan has okay Holla Forums boards, I guess.

Hot damn, this post is completely fucking related to this thread. I'm going to sage in a sticky from shame, but not enough shame to stop me from posting this.

Randy fuck off you're drunk, learn to type in English before using this thread as a meta soapbox

Best dumbphone?

any recommendations?

Also should not be a flip phone but I guess that's a given if it fits in that small pocket thing

selfhost, faggot

I'm looking to finally get a VPN, Holla Forums. I've been on the fence for a long while but it's time to take one more step against the surveillance state. Can anyone offer recommendations for the best VPN? Security and speed are important obviously and I don't want it to be hosted out of any of the five eyes countries. I use Void mostly but do dual boot into Win7 to game inb4 dual booting, might as well not run Linux at all!!

I don't plan on doing anything that would require a VPN per say, I just want to do my part in fighting for privacy. It would mostly be used for routine browsing.

A cursory glance has people recommending NordVPN, which is out of Panama. I'm not too redpilled on how much influence the USA has there but what with the canal and all the US' previous central american meddling I imagine it's at least some.

avoid M-Audio.
Avid's dropping support.
that pitch/mod wheel hybrid that Roland has is fucking unusable.
don't know anything about the last one, but it seems okay.

though I'd really suggest you to try keyboards out before buying them, mainly for the key's feel.
you won't have filled or wooden keys for under 1000$, but there are lower-tier keyboards which don't feel like complete shit.

I'm looking to purchase a laptop which supports libreboot as well as a well supported wireless chipset (with promiscuous mode).
Are there and relatively modern machines with decent build quality which meet this criteria? Cheers.

Can you recommend me some good earphones around 40-50 bucks for running? A headphone would just end up getting too sweaty/uncomfortable.

Just go with Mullvad, even though it's in Sweden (therefore Fourteen Eyes country) it's pretty cheap, you can pay with cash envelopes and bitcoins and it doesn't require any info.

Yuin pk3

Not sure which headphones to choose for about $80 or less:

Sennheiser HD429
Audiotechnica ATH-AVC500
JVC HA-SR85S
Panasonic RP-HX550
Elecom OH1000A

save until you can spend around 150

Yurbuds!

They were designed for the 100 mile, hot as fuck in the middle of the desert race called the ironman.

Or, you can be cheap, like me, and buy a cheap pair of those fat in ear headphones like apple used to make, and just buy the earbuds that keep the earphone in place and make the sound phenomenal for the price. Total of about $8 spent, way better than paying 20-40 for yurbuds, imo.

I know it's been so dead lately

Getting a new laptop and it comes in two versions: 256 GB SSD or 1TB hybrid SSHD. Are hybrid drives just a meme or will it actually be somewhere between the two in terms of speed?

I do have more, but I'm not willing to spend too much on headphones. I do like ATH-M50x, but it isn't marginally different from SH, JVC and Elecom from my post. I think, Elecom even kinda beats it to the punch.

Sony MDR-7506

Anything over 120 bucks is seriously overkill and creeping into placebo territory

Sorry, didn't find that one. Ended up buying Elecom, and, holy shit, is it god-tier. The cable is pretty short, though.

my cpu idles at around 40 to 50 degrees, I currently have a stock cooler and I don't plan on overclocking, should I get a new cpu cooler or does it matter much
I mostly use my pc for games

go for xiaomi redmi note pro with 32gb/3gb of ram

hi as far as i know it would be good

The only thing hard about hacking a PSVita is finding the right firmware.

$839, ready to buy a gaming PC (I'll look into dual-booting at a later date). Where should I start? I'm honestly afraid of custom building, but people rip into pre-builts a lot, so I'd definitely want to hear out both sides.

Spotted the pleb. MAYBE true if used. But if you're telling me this meaning new, I'm telling you to try out some nice headphones.

It is for all intents and purposes custom building is a grown up version of lego. Things only really fit one way. Also by custom building you are likely to be able to more easily dignose what was gone wrong and needs to be fixed or replaced rather than buy another computer. At the low end (~500) there is some value to a prebuilt due to economies of scale. If you want I can make some suggestions?
What resoultion are you wanting to play at? How long do you want to use it as is? How much physical size and portability important to you? How important is power usage? How important is appearance?

I was looking for a new screen, I need a 1080p, 27-32" with deacent speakers and I fornd this amzn.to/27XIKym
What do you giuse think?
Yea link is italian as I'm from italy

Is buying used computer parts a bad idea? I don't think I would buy a graphics card used (that seems like asking for trouble), but are CPUs usually ok if used? I'm building my first desktop soon, so I really have no idea where to start.

Also, is this card a good deal? newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202185 It has nothing but positive reviews but I'd love to know your opinions.

That's actually a good way of putting it.
Sure, that'd be great!
I don't need to go 4K, so I'd probably just go 1920x1080 or some variant of that.
At least 3 years.
It will probably always stay at a desk, so I wouldn't mind a full or mid tower.
Not very. Whatever the average power usage is will be fine by me.
I'd prefer nothing retarded like picrel. Just a basic black tower, and if there has to be another color to coincide, I'd choose green.

Dear god what the fuck is that, can someone explain how you even get a mobo in that guy? Jesus christ that thing looks like an overheating nightmare without some really nice cooling equipment.

Pre-built gaming PC's in general are pure Hell.
digitalstorm.com/desktops.asp

Currently have an aging pair of Audiotechnica ATH-A900X and I am looking to replace them. I have no idea about what is currently available but am considering something with surround sound that can also be comfortably worn with a VR headset. A noise canceling mic would be a plus.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thoughts on this, aside from the shitty tower?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221131

People who buy ebin-cased computers are fucking retards for many reasons, but here is the one that you would most care about:
HEAT DISPERSION

It will be absolute dogshit in a case like that.

I have this for a suggestion. pcpartpicker.com/p/kGfRsJ
This is without KM+M, speakers or a Monitor as I assume that you already have them seesing as they weren't mentioned in your first post.
The optical drive is optional but it can be handy at times, such as when thumb drives decide not to work I can fully rely on the optical drive to always work. I would suggest that you take the advice given in the compability notice.

The GPU is considered to be the most important part of a gaming build. Also as a general tip, it is never a good idea to skimp out on the PSU as it provides everything with power. Another good idea is to have some execess PSU watage as they are most efficent at around 50% or so and the output slowly decreases over time due to age.

For the OS I would suggest Windows 7 which Mircosoft has stopped selling to the general public.
mega.nz/#F!B40TUDIJ!SYXTClz6K5Puz48IKQ-nrQ
.iso, iso's sha256 (file intergity during upload/download) and activation tool.
Quick hash is pretty useful for checksums. The orginal sha1 checksum for the .iso is on the wiki page for Windows 7.

I was thinking of using the two provided case fans as two front intakes with the extra 140 as a rear exaust.

What is the point (besides marketing) of including something so small that Windows won't install to it? I don't belive that Windows 10 will even fit on it, let alone last three months (being generous to some improvements supposly made in that area) before running out of space due to updates.
It does look some what ok aesthetically except for the red strip. Give a me all black case any day of the week.

pcpartpicker.com/p/dbHrxY
I've finally got some cash to make a good desktop computer with, I showed this to a friend and he said his only complaint was that the i7 might be overkill. What I'd really like to do is stuff like having multiple monitors set up. I also really want to pirate and play Just Cause 3, even if the game is shit I want to try it because I loved JC2

I haven't built a desktop in 10 years, does everything look like it's in order?

damn dude just wait and get the GTX 1070 dude for real

And double up on that cheap as fuck RAM too

hey Holla Forums, what would be a good motherboard that
?

Thanks for the advice on the RAM, looking at the guy who posted before me, I might get a stronger power supply too.

What's the deal with the GTX 1070? I don't have an affinity for AMD or NVIDIA, I've used both before, I just picked out the Sapphire because I saw people using it and being successful.

lmgtfy.com/?q=what is the asus maximus viii&l=1

no

static pressure fans make "pressure" around an object (radiator) it doesn't move air fast. you want shit to move air fast in or out.

dude why are you paying $78 on a CPU cooler, when you are looking for a mid range GPU ? buy a 212 evo shit is $30. I've seen it as low as $12. look i have a 6700k the thing is keeping it around 60 c FULL LOAD . if i remember the CPU is made to stand 80c full load

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

now that i saved you $48 lets ad that to your monitor here is a less shitty one

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236305

also, Yes the i7 is overkill get a i5 6600K $100 more for a MAX 5 - 10 FPS most boost is not worth it.

saved you $100 now

they "are meant to " put your most accessed files on the SSD part of the drive and your lest on the spinning part. it's mostly going to just make your boot faster than an non ssd drive.

if you are going to be saving a lot of shit get the hybrid if not get the SSD.

is this for a PC or just a tv ?

Alright, this is all very helpful, thank you so much!

I've only been using laptops for the last 7 or so years, so I wanted to get something with a silent fan that didn't sound like a Boeing landing in my room whenever anything complex happened. If all that silent, ball-bearings stuff is just bullshit I'll go with your fan.

Same with the CPU. I had a feeling I was going overboard with it, honestly the video I saw of a guy playing Just Cause 3 without frame rate drops was on an i5, so it's perfect for the level of gameplay I want.

Also great monitor. I honestly picked the other one because I saw it on PC Parts Picker and thought it looked pretty sweet, but your's is much better for not much more.

Again, thank you for all of the advice. I can't wait to quit using this old Warhammer 40k laptop and have something that won't radiate my crotch anymore.

I've bought a lot of used parts, had problems with some of them but as long as you're buying from a site with a good return policy it's a great way to save some dosh.

390x is a good card and Sapphire is the best of them, but the next generation of AMD cards is like two months away. Hold out and see how it looks, if you don't think you'll need it you'll be able to buy a 390x used for a lot cheaper. 290xs are already going for $230-250 used and they're like 3-5% slower than the 390x.

Worked on it some

pcpartpicker.com/p/mRqXsJ

Stepped down to an i5 and got a better PSU, better case, better motherboard, 144hz freesync monitor, still $100 cheaper. Noctua coolers are very quiet but your HDD will probably be louder than the CPU cooler in any case.

16GB of RAM is mostly a meme, I can have 100 tabs open in Firefox and two games and still be at like 60% use. Grab another stick if that sounds good to you.

I found a phone today and by chance I have the same provider. The IMEI is still clean. Is there any possible way I can start using this phone?

The phone is a samsung galaxy s6 Edge

Ah, see, that's exactly what I was curious about. It doesn't matter much if the fan is quiet if other stuff is louder. After years of a loud ass laptop, this is going to be a wonderful change of pace. Plus having it on the floor and away from me will help too.

I appreciate the advice on the card. I had to cut it out of the order because Newegg stopped giving me the discount for it, but I didn't want to lose the discount for the monitor suggested here

Will my desktop be able to survive without a GPU for a while? I assume Intel has some integrated card I can at least watch videos with. My sister told me to not be a faggot and get the 1070, but since it's sold out everywhere and I figure it will be for months I wanted to get the Sapphire since it looks good and I don't plan on going VR any time soon.

Also good advice on everything else, I especially like the new PSU and will switch it out.

Yeah the i5's integrated GPU can handle video and old games fine. I drive my second monitor with the previous generation.

That monitor isn't anything special, it's usually around that price. AH-VA or IPS panels, 144hz, freesync or gsync, and fast response times are what's worth looking out for. It's hard to know what you want in a monitor until you have an example of what you don't want so I'd recommend checking out a local computer store that has some monitors you can try out, even Costco usually has a few.

Unless you're doing 1440p+ or VR you don't really need a newer card. They'll be more power efficient but a 390x can already do anything you want at 1080 unless you're really obsessive about 100% max quality, which if you're coming from a laptop you probably aren't.

Want my old LG A275? It's in perfect shape. If you're in the US, I'll send it to you for free.

The Contabo one seems like a better deal. I say that without being able to see the price at Hetzner, b/c apparently you need js for that.

You can certainly pay less, but not for those specs. If you want to pay less, you can go with DigitalOcean or Scaleway. Unless you plan on using a lot of storage, or your site getting really popular, you could go with DO or Scaleway.

Are there any cheap headsets with actually good noise (distant voice, not static/fan) cancelling mics? All reviews either never mention that or say it doesn't work as advertised. Even $300 call center solutions get mixed reviews.

Alternatively, does modmic unidirectional pick up voices from 2m away in a quiet room?

I'm considering going back to a feature phone for a while to reduce my monthly costs, what are some good imports I should be considering?

hey Holla Forums,
I'm using an x201 thinkpad and it's been running extremely hot for the last few days. It mostly idles, using 2gb of ram.
The fan seems to be working, and since I've switched to iridium it went down about ~5 degrees celsius. At times it reaches 94 when the aircon is off. What do?

The same as for amd. If you have many cores and liw clock speed you can disable a few of them and increase the speed without changing power. Enjoy

Lads, I need a new stand mic since my old one broke but don't know what to get.

So I got myself another tower, except this one is a small form factor one. What sort of GPU can I put into a mini tower?

What is a good stand for a computer monitor?

i just picked that monitor because of the 1 ms response time (most impart for gaming ) and good ratings.

high end gaming monitors isn't a road budget builders want to go down. there isn't a gaming IPS monitor under $550

I'm assuming the person isn't going to be playing tournament level CS:GO so 144hz is useless. and freesync or gsync are still a gimmick until they settle on one standard

clean the fan with compressed air ?

can't you buy a clip on mic then use what ever head set you want.

Well I went ahead and got the phone set up with my provider it worked for awhile but now the IMEI is black listed.

I've been trying to figure out how to repair the IMEI but so far all I can find are youtube videos of people offering a service to do so, and the blog posts I've found related to that are old and probably outdated.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I've never had a smart phone before and I'd like to get this working

Okay

I have a few thousand dollars saved up and I want to build a shitposting station.

I want a monitor I can have anime running on 24/7. A workspace monitor. At least three monitors to follow my various forums, BBS, message boards, text boards, and imageboards. Finally one for playing my MMOs.

What do I want to buy?

Gonna be buying a single board computer soon and want a completely open source one. Any info or recommendations would be cool while I do my own research

and yes i know there's a thread on these too

Seems if I wanna go the non binary blobs route my options are beaglebone black and the "parallax propeller c3" according to one user

144hz is nice no matter what you're playing.

I need a phone for texts, calling, mail and light web browsing. My budget is

I could if I knew which one works. Certainly not zalman as it picks any and every sound and seemingly amplifies it to be as loud as my own voice. Same for modmic omni.
Andrea desktop shotgun makes my voice distinguishable, but doesn't filter out background. Same for some cheap headsets I had lying around.
At this point I'm pretty sure I only have active noise cancel left to try, but desktop stereo arays have ridiculous shipping cost to my country.
Very few reviews even mention the feature, let alone test it, but what I've seen about logitech h650e indicates that the technology works.

Tldr: what cheap mics/headsets have good (active?) backgroud voices removal?

My dad paid me $50 (too much) to make sure a printer could print.

What is a cool product I could get for around that much?

Blackberry Z30 for that smooth operating system and ability to dual boot Android. Used on ebay for ~$130

A single board computer. Look into the BeagleBone Black.

Help on the stand? I have a 22" 1080p monitor and a 19" 900p monitor I have available, I just need to get a stand for the 22" monitor.

Z30 is too big for my manlet hands and pockets. I need something that has a screen size less than 4.5 inches.

You can also get an used x60/x60t for around 30$ and use it as a server. Much more powerful that any

(checked)
What are some low level uses for SBCs?

What do you mean by low level uses?

Holla Forums I need some help. Im in the market for a new laptop, my old one is 10 years old and it's showing rust. I want to play vydia and duel partition linux and a pirated win7 OS. What the fuck do you look for when shopping for a laptop? I don't want to get jewed Holla Forums! My price range is around $400

i got my PC in 2009, and since then i've upgraded the ram, the graphics card, and the power supply unit. i have 8 GB ram installed (3.96 usable it says, idk what that means), and the graphics card i upgraded to is a GTX 550 TI. i have 2 TB of memory (for some reason... i don't know why i have that much... do you think i accidentally upgraded the memory and not the RAM? we may never know). i really wanted to buy the new doom game but i looked at the minimum requirements and realized i might not meet it... it wants 55GB of space, 8GB RAM, and for graphics NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better. i'm trying not to blow all my money i'm making with my poverty summer job. what should i upgrade for the best bang for my buck, and to what? is my RAM good enough or does the 3.96 usable need to be 8?

I'd start by looking on craigslist. You can buy last gen's gaming laptops for around $400.

Maybe Ebay will have some good deals. $400 isn't really enough to get a "good" new laptop.

Or, if you live in SoCal, I got a gaming laptop I'd sell ya. Equivalent to a ASUS G74.

Looking for a USB ATSC TV tuner, to be hooked up to our antenna via coax cable. Must support linux and be available in (or have cheap shipping to) Canada.

This seems like a really niche product. Choices seem to be either really expensive ones at stores, or no-name stuff from China with questionable linux support. A wiki with a list of models supported on linux [1] seems outdated.

[1] linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_USB_Devices

Not to sound too much like a shill, but JemJem has hella low prices on refurbs. I just bought a 32GB iPhone 5C off them for $118 (it came out to $133 after taxes and shipping). Here's the link to that:

jemjem.com/apple-refurbished-clearance-items/iphone/iphone-5c/internal-memory/32gb?utm_source=DealNews&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=iPhone5C

But if the 5C isn't your thing, keep looking around. They have some good deals.

Not really looking for a hardcore gaming laptop, just something that I can run oldish strategy games on. Ill shop around but I dont really know what to look for in terms of video processing

And i would have taken that off your hands except I live on the other side of the country

pcpartpicker.com/list/yHdTwV

I wanted to build a computer that only has an SSD and no hard drive sinceI barely use any space as it is. The GPU is not included in this list. I was deciding between the Samsung 950 Pro and SM951 but apparently they get pretty hot. So is this a bad idea?

I wanted to get the best boot, download, and load times.

Well fuck you guys

You didn't answer my question so I bought a bunch of guns instead.

I've had a Nexus 4 for 4 years. I'm mostly satisfied with it, however I think the battery is dying since it's draining very fast.

What should I get instead?

Features I want:

Budget is I don't fucking know. How much is a decent phone like this these days? I suppose I can see myself spending $200-400, it's hard to imagine what amazing feature could justify more than that.

Is Abine trustful enough for masking your credit card and staying anonymous when purchasing? Looks like there's no other service like this one online.

A GPU that is shorter than the maximum size available. This is usually pointed out if not on the front page, the specs parts. The Cass name would be handy so that more detailed advice can be given.

I thought batteries were replaceable in that version?
Is 5.5 inches to much
LG 3 meets most of those requirements. There is a third party battery with 9,000 mah by zero Lemon. I haven't tried custom Roms yet there is quite a lot of options out there. The interface stutters a bit but it is probably because I am impatient and ask it to do a couple of things at once. Other than that it works just fine.
Disclosure: this is what I am posting from.

That's fine. I need something with power and stability for work so speed isn't too bad of an issue.

I used IBM in the past, the ones with the red trackpoints in the center of the keyboard if that's what you mean? I could never use it, not that it was bad I just wasn't skilled with it and opted out of it. I suppose touchpads allow for scrolling and more responsiveness, plus desktop users are already skilled with using one hand for mouse and the other for keyboard.

I notice that with Ubuntu 16, the newer model drivers work just as poorly as the older ones. Like I said, my touchscreen on my Satellite works, but it has some issues registering xinputs after they shut down from the internal flip. You have to restart after flipping it backwards.

Obviously it's either this or using windows 10, and I'd much rather get a functional laptop that works well with linux distros for work, they're much better than windows in that regard.

There's the new touchscreen 2 in 1 thinkpads out right now, plus the older lenovo models, but I seriously am considering just grabbing an old old IBM- That's what I really want. Mine was given to someone else so I don't have it anymore and I'm not sure if the latitude CP (Win95) is able to be refurbished into modern-day working condition. it's just too old, it'll be dysfunctional as much as I like the nostalgia.

So, X41 sounds good. I don't like lenovo. I want the IBM badge on the fucking front. I was looking at X60s and X42s but those seem to be lenovo- or atleast on amazon they're listed as such.

What parts of an IBM can you replace? Are they built like desktop where you can switch out RAM with a little work or are they sort of like the mobile phone type of laptops today where everything is included in the motherboard?

A second question I have is bluetooth. I personally use a lot of bluetooth at work due to the ease of not having to plug in a shitload of wires. Would I have to get a dongle or could I install bluetooth into one of the ports manually? Has anyone successfully done this?

Thanks again.

something a pleb like me can handle

Slowly upgrading my 8 year old rig, next thing up is the video card since I just replaced the power supply.

I have no intention of buying cutting edge, for context I'm still using an 8800GT and if newer games would even boot on it I wouldn't bother to swap it out yet.

I've had my eye on a 970 because I can get a used one for about 250, but with all the new cards coming out and a lot of people likely to be dumping their 980's and possibly Ti's, should I just wait and pay a little more or just go ahead and grab the 970? How likely is the price of used 980's to drop? Is there a better card I could be looking at to be a little more future proof (even though that is futile)?

It is actually a good time to 'future proof' since both large brands showed an actual development in the gpus technology. But if you have the guile and autism you ahould shop around on Craigslist, ebay, and facebook swap, buy, sell groups to see if you can get a good price. I know the people who were stupid enough to buy a titan last year are the same idiots who will trade it in for the 1080 this year

I'm just a little leery of these new cards being a meme and I'm afraid if I wait too long the prices will shoot back up.

980s go for like 350 used right now, I wonder how much that will budge.

It has been a while since I have been in the market for a new card, but I think the 980 has been at 350 since last year. I would definitly wait a month, and try to shop around because I guarantee droves of people are dumping old cards. Also yeah wait until some people benchmark and break down the new cards before you even consider them

I have been looking at GPUs myself, if you're not much into brand loyalty most shops have been clearing out their old lines of R7s and R9s for the RX series. You can get a 4GB R9 380 for about $160-$170 now.

While I'm not the user you replied to, I'm in the market for a new GPU, but I don't know what to buy. I recently obtained an i5-3470 to replace the aging Core Duo I have and I'm unsure of what to get. It's tough because the RX 480 comes out at the end of the month so I'm considering holding out until then.

Is there a point in having more than one laptop?

All my logical reasoning tells me to sell my beloved X220t, but I want to find a reason to keep it.

And anyway, what's a good price for an X220t with 8 GB of RAM and 2.5 GHZ?

What about an X60 Tablet SXGA+ with the L2500, w/ 2GB RAM and 1.83 GHZ?

Here is one idea, separate home and portable/work laptops.

You can never have enough computers in general, in my opinion. Turn em into mail servers or something.

Is there to combine the processing power of each of the computers into one megacomputer? I have some computers that would be neat to chain the processing to.

If youre shopping for an AMD card at the 200 price range just wait a month or 2 to see what becomes of the 480

I used to have an Acer Aspire, old as balls, but pretty durable for all of the times I dropped the poor bastard and he worked without skipping a beat. It finally took backflipping off a table to kill the madman, had he landed on the base and not his screen I bet he'd have survived that too.

If you're just going to be playing old (and good) vidya, like Master of Orion 2, X-Com, etc, you can probably get away with just about anything. That Aspire had a 2.0ghz processor and integrated intel graphics card that was probably 64mb of video ram, but it played them fine. Played Dorf Fort too, honestly it was the CPU that made the game slow when you had more than 150 migrants.

I could also play Dawn of War on maxed settings, with bodies never going away, shadows, etc. So if you're looking for a laptop that can play shit from 2006 or earlier, something along those lines are good. And I'm sure you can get that for under $400.

Pic related is my $900 budget build aiming for AMD&AMD with the best I can get for the money. Except for the screen. The screen looks shit. But it's cheap. Meh...

General suggestions are more than appreciated here as it's my first build since 2008. It's mostly for gaming and intensive physics simulations.

Should I hold on for the RX 480? kinda rhetorical
Is there a new line of AMD CPU-s coming out soon that I should wait for?
What can I swap out to lower the final sum? Except the ram: I need 16 gigs for scientific simulations and ramdisk. Am I better off with 4x4GB for multi-channel or is 2x8GB just as good?
Any obvious bad choices here?
How shit is the screen for the price?

My 670 2GB started artifacting like crazy today and I'm looking at the 1070 as a replacement card but was wondering if my 2700k @4.5 Ghz would start to be a bottleneck due to how old it is.

Post a link to the PCPP build in the future.
If you don't need more than four cores (and chances are you don't), the Athlon X4 860K is a much better deal. Better single-core performance and half the cost of an FX-8350.
That being said, for $900 it might be better to go Intel on the processor. AMD has really slumped behind on single-core performance the past few years, and even the best AMD CPU will be a bottleneck for some games, and I say that as a bit of an AMD fanboy.
Always buy the cheapest compatible RAM. There is very little to no real-world performance difference between differing speeds and CAS.
Seagate drives have far too high of a failure rate for the price. Hitachi drives are cheaper and last longer.
The SuperNOVA NEX line isn't bad, per se, but their price and reliability don't really match.
You probably don't actually need an optical drive. If you do, it's still probably a better idea to just buy an external one. Same price, plus you can use it with any computer, and you don't have to fuss with mounting it, etc.
Strongly consider throwing in an SSD.
Also, I'd suggest staying away from OutletPC and SuperBiiz. It seems like no one has good experiences with them, and their prices are only marginally cheaper.
Here's a sample build of what I'd recommend: pcpartpicker.com/list/RskQzM
Absolutely. Keep in mind that AMD also said that they're going to announce more Polaris GPUs in the coming weeks, which probably means at E3.
Zen will purportedly increase IPC (single-core performance) by 40% over current Bulldozer chips, and is scheduled for release sometime later this year. Whether the wait is worth it is up to you (I'm personally waiting on it).
Dual channel should be more than plenty for any desktop application.
Not too horrible, but you can get a pretty similar monitor for $90. For $130 get an IPS display.

For some games, yes, but you should still be able to crank out >60 fps. See youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw

Thank you for posting the video user, it was extremely helpful.

Cool, that's all I really need anyway. I'm using a hand me down 1080p BenQ 120hz monitor so I realize it's not that intensive.

Much appreciated!
I'll just wait for the 480 and then I'll be able to up the price range a bit to fit in an SSD. The spinning disk is then not necessary as I've got a NAS and an external already.

Are there any decent web browsers for android?

Lighting 4.3.3 is pretty good overall. That is what I use.

Firefox mobile works decently. The good thing about it is that FF addons work, so you can have noscript on your phone. Definitely helps to improve the clusterfuck that we call "the mobile web".

walmart.com/ip/RCA-7-Tablet-16GB-Quad-Core-includes-Keyboard-Case/45804389?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=45804389&placement_id=irs-2-m2&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=19bfe15a-bb19-472e-ab82-88d806346192&customer_id_enc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=44389793&parent_anchor_item_id=44389793&guid=9f81523e-da69-400f-a8ee-b4941caa9500&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Should I get this if I plan to put GNU/linux on it? I find laptops too cumbersome and I've been wanting a cheap secondary computer that I can do real work on.

Have you looked at all into single board computers?

have you considered getting a thinkpad?

Thanks m8s.

Yes, but even the cheaper ones are a little more than I want to pay.

In any case, someone just gave me their galaxy2 tablet for free, so I'll see what I can do with it.

My old sennheiser headset recently borked.
I got a Logitech G230 as a replacement. The sound is fine but the microphone is atrocious. I am doing a refund and would like some advice for headset alternatives.

I just want regular headphones with a good microphone, im not an audiophile but im not going to get those crappy $20 headsets.

Any recommendations?

Not sure if it belongs here, but does anyone know of a good bag (as cheap as possible)? I usually only carry around my laptop, a textbook or two, and a few notebooks.

Don't spend too much on headsets. I picked up the sennheiser 280 HD with a standing mic for $110. Much higher quality with both then you would get from a headset of a similar price

Garbage bag?

plastic bag from walmart, get a few so you can double or triple wrap it so it doesn't break

Corsair Void with USB is expensive, round 300$, but it works wonderfully. Gets thrown around, what have you, but still working with excellent sound and mic quality. I'd say its endurance far outweighs its other features, as good as they are.

My almost a decade old laptop is going to shit and I want to get a privacy/ pirate machine. Not really for demanding games other then emulation upto ps1 and PC games upto civ5.
Not from Holla Forums but notice the thinkpad is the brand most go for. I found a T410 for 299.95 is this a deal. (I hook up my laptop to my TV with an HDMI l, FYI)
Any suggestions? My budget is around 400-300, or should I wait for back to school season

I am looking for a phone in the 150 € area. The moto G (2015, 16 GB) looks nice although it is 8 months old and the price (180 €) has been the same for several months. The new moto G4 is out of my budget.

3 months ago I bought that phone because I could not find any serious alternative. Now, I cannot find any yet which is strange. Are there any alternatives to the moto G (2015, 16 GB) in its price range yet?

I need to buy another phone for another person and would feel ripped off if I payed the same price for the same phone that I bought 3 months ago. Especially considering that the next model has already been released.

can anyone recommend quality ear buds with behind the ear design for cheap?
I dont need for travel but to PC since my head is sweating like pig under classic headphones

i have no idea what to look for a mic but one thing I do know that usb mics are shit, how do i know a mic is good

Out of these three, which one should I buy? Bear in mind that the seller I met with has these three at the same price:
i7- 6700HQ
1TB HDD
4GB DDR4
nVidia GeForce GTX 950M 4GB DDR3 VRAM
15.6"
i7-4710HQ
1TB HDD
8GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX860M DDR5 4G
15.6"
i7-6700HQ
1TB HDD
4GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB

No they aren't.
Professional reviews of the individual microphones that meet your needs.

None, but the last one is probably the least shit.

I'd avoid Acer Aspires if I were you. Had a bad experience with my Aspire 5755g, and others seem to suffer the same problems

AMD or Intel?
I see a lot of discussion but no one ever gets down to one answer.

INTEL
CONS:
Engages in anti-competitive practices in general
Lies in marketing material and pays off reviewers
Has a practical monopoly
Sponsors BuzzFeed, Feminist Frequency, and other similar cancer organizations
Arbitrarily prevents overclocking and other user modifications
Are stupidly expensive
PROS:
Actually has good performance

AMD
CONS:
Has shit single-core performance
PROS:
Is relatively cheap
Does not engage in horrendously unethical behavior
Lots of cores

Note: AMD is currently developing Zen, which should resolve the "shit single-core performance" issue.

I'm thinking of getting an LG G5 since Samsung seems more than determined to go the way of Apple by locking down their shit.

Are there any other decent alternatives I should consider, or is this the right choice? I'm looking for a powerful smartphone that can decently emulate vidya and has removable battery and SD card support.

Superior hardware, cooling, and performance all around.
Does some really retarded shit outside of their actual products.

Inferior, shitty, heat-generating hardware.
Shilled like crazy around here by tinfoilers and shills.

Do it on a computer, phones are for phones.

So I take it you listened only to some memer or tried some $5 headset?

Air conditioning, get it.

Earbuds are objectively inferior in quality and are not worth downgrading to.

Expect one and only one. You want good quality voice? Semi-pro standalone mic is a must.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

looking for a small portable sample keyboard.

I'm thinking about getting one of the Casio SK series, but since thy're all at least 20 years old, I'm kinda worried about maintenance.
Also, I'd have to import them and I don't really trust people to properly package the thing.

I've been considering buying one of these for fun. I can pick one up for under $180. My only concern is that is from 2008 and has old hardware in it. Is it alright for multitasking and djing with? Does anyone have one of these? Do you recommend the X200?

Is this garbage?
Looked pretty good for the price to me, just wanted a second opinion
Using it with an AMD A6-5400k if that matters
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138415&ignorebbr=1

got mine for $90 refurbished. never pay over $100 for one

It won't be a luxurious experience, but it should still be very usable. Might want to add more RAM (very easy) if you plan on doing much multitasking.

Software compilers are still stuck optimizing for Core2Duo processors, which is what the X200 was available in.

Like the other user said, $180 is a pretty horrible deal though. There's currently a set of two on Ebay for $127.

Should be fine if you don't overclock. It doesn't seem to be negatively received any more than other mobos.

What is a good router that supports DDWRT EASILY (no bullshit installation procedures like flashing a boot loader rom)
Is STABLE and reliable and has AT LEAST 4 GIGABIT Ethernet switches ?
Reasonable wifi is a plus but honestly anything is better than my current b/g router that only has 54mbps switches

First, how the fuck else would you do it?
Second, that's insanely easy and only a retard couldn't do it.

you flash a custom firmware on most routers, the last router i got would not accept custom firmware unless you flashed a super specific boot loader onto the device manually after editing the binary for it manually.
there was next to no info about it anywhere and i am not going though that shit again.

What about for the multitouch tablet model?

Which processor is better for doing what? I have an Intel i5-3470 while I am either buying an AMD FX-8350 or an AMD Athlon X4 860K. I'm trying to set up one processor for hosting game servers and another processor for playing games on.

depends on the game really
for example if you were planning on hosting a source engine game you would want the fastest clocked cpu possible and not care about core count because SRCDS relies mainly on one core.
where as playing the source engine game you would want more cores because the engine itself is very well multithreaded (except garrys mod)

like i said it fully depends on the game's server software

What's a good PSU in preparation for next gen GPUs.

I can buy PSU early right? They're not exactly known for breakthroughs.

And is DD-WRT even good any more? I have it on my old router and I require the QOS features it has so I can set up bulk and express mac addresses so certain computers cannot drain my limited bandwidth. Can open wrt or tomato do these? I mainly need to setup 2 important computers to be treated as express priority over the rest of the computers I own.
I was looking at some buffalo N600 router that had ddwrt installed but it has very conflicting reviews from very bad to very good. Why the fuck is it so hard to find good info about this stuff now?

Sure, just make sure you are sure to get one beefy enough if the GPU you're looking at hasn't had it's TDP announced yet.
The only way I could think of that would cause PSUs to be incompatible is if they changed away from standard PCIe power connectors, which definitely isn't going to happen in the next month (or probably decade, for that matter).

As always, make sure you buy one from a reputable company and read reviews for the specific unit.

decided to buy a Mikrotik since it seems like the most capable and documented thing i can find

Guys helpu

I need some kind of earbuds
>durable

Both OK, realistically

AMD has more cores (only desktop 8-core CPU you can get, and for the same price range as Intel's 2-core) and more power-per-dollar

Intel does lots of really fucking sketchy stuff one side effect of this is their backdoor deals with some game devs to optimize games for Intel, but you get better individual core performance.

I know, I'm just uncertain on what would be the best configuration. What about something like ArmA 3? Is it the same where a stronger single core for hosting and a lot of smaller cores is better for playing? It basically comes down to the i5-3470 and the FX-8350.

Just fuck my shit up.

i want to put together an electronics repair station, but i dont want to spend a lot of money. how cheap can i go and not have useless shit?

What kind of electronics repair are you talking about?

First off you would want one of these fucking things

dx.com/p/lodestar-l316248-helping-third-hand-soldering-stand-w-2x-magnifying-glass-132351#.V1dLtuSSfm4

Soldering iron and solder.

Solder remover, tip cleaner are optional.

i want to diagnose and fix motherboards

Do you have any experience doing shit like that? I tried once but it was too overwhelming, so much crap and all the components are so small.

no, im in no rush to get good enough to be employed with this either, its just something i want to learn

Anyone know any good software for writing music? And I specifically mean writing not making.

Just an interesting note about screen upgrades for the eDP thinkpads:

The B140HAN01.2 1080 IPS screen is excellent but the gamut spec on panelook is wrong. The colour primaries are 62%ish and do not match sRGB. Otherwise, excellent black and white uniformity, super contrast.

The bezel sticker is a fucking nightmare though!

Im considering a new build. I have lots of money. Im considering a 1080, with room for sli in the future if I feel the need for it. My current questions are: what cpu is reasonable for the $2k-$3k range? What is a good high end motherboard in the same range?(Im also interested in warrenty because I've never had a 100% operational motherboard for more than a year) Does SSD brand/series matter that much? For example I saw a sale for a 960gb ssd for $200, but could the chipset(or something) be so cheap that it wouldnt be worth it? How much maintenance is water cooling? If I had to travel for work/little free-time, would it be worth the extra c's? If I was building some enthusiast machine(as described above), I should be fine with air, right?

I'm also looking for a laptop, something with an ssd, and 15"+ screen. I will probably be dual booting windows/linux on it, some programming, watch 1080 videos (second screen) and playing basic games (nothing too intense). I just have no idea what laptops are out there. Maybe interested in a nice form/keyboard (current laptop's frame is cracking plastic and keyboard is trashed)

I know a lot of these are open ended/vague questions but I appreciate any input on any of these questions

SLI is almost never worth it, considering very few games even support it, with even less in the future. Also, consider waiting until E3 to see what AMD announces. Don't get a Founder's Edition, 1080; you're paying extra for worse cooling and are encouraging shitty business practices (which Nvidia is no stranger to).
i7-6700K. If you want to be retarded you can get stuff like the 6950X for like $1500 more, but it will perform worse in almost all games.
ASUS tends to produce higher-quality motherboards, but have a horrid returns process. EVGA has great service, but the boards are less-than-stellar. I personally prefer Gigabyte; generally high-quality boards, and when they do fail it's a lot easier than dealing with ASUS.
For higher-end SSDs, very much so. It's quite complex, but if you're looking for high-end go with a Samsung 850 EVO, or if you really have too much money, an Intel 750.
The drives in that price range are perfectly fine, and you probably would never notice the difference between them and the highest-end SSD for day-to-day use. Either way you probably don't need a 960 GB SSD.
Too much to be worth it. Recent (Intel) CPUs have such low TDP that mild air cooling is more than sufficient, even after overclocking. Recent AIO watercooling solutions have very little maintenance, but even then the noise alone makes it worse than a traditional HSF.
Sample build: pcpartpicker.com/list/WKRBm8

As for the laptop, get a professional/business notebook from HP or Dell, like the Pro/EliteBook and Latitude/Precision. Consumer laptops are all around crap. Pretty much anything from those series will meet all your needs.

Thanks

Any ideas? I have the FX-8350 and the i5-3470, and I don't know which one to put in which PC.

FX 8350 is going to be faster in games that scale well to many cores and i5 is going to be faster in older games.

If you don't know if a game scales to multiple cores or not, look up CPU benchmarks. If you see weird shit like 4770k quad core beating a 3960x hex core, the game doesn't scale to multiple cores very well. Generally, if a game with more slower and lower clocked cores is beating ones with faster and fewer cores, it scales well to many cores. If faster CPUs with lower core count and higher clock speed is winning against more slower cores, it doesn't scale well.

You can see this with both AMD and Intel CPUs. And to check, you should only compare between the same vendor. I.E. compare 4770k to 3960x. There are usually some difference between CPU vendor and you shouldn't compare them directly when trying to figure out if a game scales well or not.
techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page5.html

Arma 3 doesn't scale past 4 cores.

FX8350 has lower performance per clock, but the difference between the 3470 and FX 8350 seems to make up for it. I think if you could overclock the 3470 it would easily win. But the 3470 isn't actually much faster in single threaded games like ARMA3 or even BF4 single player.

Only problem with CPU benchmarks is that most of the time, multiplayer scales better to multiple cores than single player, and single player is usually benchmarked. If you poke around on forums, you'll see FX 8350 usually does a lot better in things like BF4 multiplayer, which scales well to many cores.

With 3470 and it only being a 3.2ghz CPU, I think the FX 8350 will win in nearly all situations. If it was a higher clocked Intel, the FX wouldn't stand up. But Intel are greedy jews and disabled overclocking on non-premium CPUs so you're fucked. I'd overclock the FX 8350 and enjoy. Even at 4.5ghz it'd walk away from that 3470 pretty easily.

Wait until AMD launches polaris. It's mostly gonna be mid range so the new cards should be perfect for you.

So then put the FX-8350 on my gaming computer while sticking the i5-3470 onto my server box then? I'm planning to upgrade to one of those Polaris GPUs later this month anyway, so shouldn't I get a tiny boost with AMD GPU and CPU?

How would the i5-3470 fare then as being just specifically for hosting a server? I already have a small video card in it just to browse around with and I plan on upping the RAM from 4GB to 16GB/32GB depending on how much RAM a server computer needs.

It's not really that high for a stock cooler. If it hits 70+ under load you might want to consider getting a different cooler. The coolermaster hyper 212 is a good cooler for a low price.

What the best pair of noise-cancelling headphones I could buy for the cheapest price?

If you're happy with passive noise cancellation, any old IEMs + a pair of comply foam tips will apparently block noise out quite well. Never tried them myself though because the tips wear out after a couple months of use and it's expensive to keep buying

Alright, here's my situation. I've been missing my cell phone for about a week now, I suspect my dog may have hidden it. It was just a simple old flip phone. I've turned my apartment upside down and can't find it.

About a year ago my ex sent me her old iphone. I never saw much use for it, but when I was without a computer for a bit I fiddled with it and ended up playing some games and listening to podcasts and such with it, but as it has her simcard I could never use it as an actual phone service.

There is no apple store in my area. To give you an idea of my lack expertise here, I once looked up a guide for unlocking the phone hoping I could just swap in my walmart family mobile's sim card in, and the instructions were beyond me.

Is it even possible -given the lack of access to an Apple store- to put a phone service on this phone, and if yes, what do I have to change? Do I have to buy a new simcard? Can I just get one they sell at wal-mart, or will my carrier and service be limited? Can anything be done with the simcard already in there to make it useable for me?

For that matter, what data exactly will I lose with the current simcard replaced?

Yes. Litteraly any mobile phone repair shop can do the exact same thing, and for chaper too.

What do you mean by "phone service"?

That depends on if you want to unlock the phone to use the wallmart simcard or just buy a simcard that you phone supports.

Yep.

Just make sure that the simcard is the right size Usually it says it what size it is on the packaging.

Most Simcards nowadays come packed to fit all sizes.

Just google what size simcard your iphone uses.

Most times phones are locked to a specific carrier. So for example you can't you an AT&T sim on a Tmobile phone. It just blocks you from using the sim.

Unlocking just deletes the code in the phone's carrier registration so you can use it any with any carrier.

That depends if it's pre-paid or not.
If it's pre-paid, you could just buy more credit for it and use it but, if it's a plan sim, you can't you use it because it's not registered to you.

On the phone? nothing.

I'm really thinking about picking up a couple of 4TB drives, however I see that the seagate drives are absolute dogshit despite the prices being nice and low.

Instead of 2 4TB seagates, I have decided I will get 1 6TB from WD

How are they?

Google the model number + defect if you want to know.

From about 10 hard drives that I've purchased, the sole seagate drive I bought was the one that failed. It was a 1.5 TB model.

You should make plans for data drives that may end up being dogshit in any case.

I have a 500GB from 2009 that works and a 3TB from 2012 that works

I did have another 3TB that died quickly however. I'm not going to play seagate lottery.
However, the only WD I ever had died....

But they seem better overall.

In australia there are no model ms at a decent price

Is it worth it to buy a unicomp keyboard?

With the release of the RX 480 at the end of the month was thinking about upgrading from my ASUS HD 7850 2GB card.

Is it the best time to buy an entry level graphics card or should I wait longer for competition? I'm only sporting a couple 1080p monitors and I doubt I'll be upgrading to 1440p or 4k any time soon.

There's no middle ground as rubber domes seem to be entirely chiclets now.

May as well.

I might add that you should try an FKB4700 from ebay. It's a spring+dome hybrid with steel backplate. My brother scrounged one from pickup day. I liked it a lot but it became quite stiff and worn after 3 years from reasons unknown to me.

Friend, take it from someone who's been waiting 5 years on integrated graphics cards with people assuring me that the next graphic card will be the best shit ever.

Just buy it if you have the money.

If it's 14nm and coming out soon for the right price, then wait.

ignore this fag

Arturia microbrute

It's full monophonic analog, midi compatible, compact, about 180-200$ on ebay, you can find em cheaper sometimes.

Slightly different use case than yours, but still helpful:
backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q4-2015/

The only upcoming competition would be Nvidia's GTX 1060, which would probably be way more than $200, and likely not perform much better, if any.

Bruh.

Stop.

Get this, trust me. It just works.

That's what I would do personally. FX 8350 is old but it stands up very well.

You won't see a boost going full AMD. The Intel will use less power and it has better power saving features, I'd put that in the server, specially since it'll be on 24/7, probably. If you live in a place with reasonable electric rates, you're only talking about $10 or $20 a year, so it's not a huge deal.

GPUs see a huge boost in performance when they get a die shrink. And 480 just got a die shrink. Usually a die shrink is expensive and all the new GPUs cost a ton ($500+), but AMD releasing a 14nm GPU for $199 is pretty fucking amazing. It's worth waiting for.

Was looking for a long and deep table/desk to use my computer on. Found National Public Seating BT3000 on Amazon which seems to be durable and cheap. Should I go for it or are there better options?

The 3.5mm port on my Creative Aurvana Live just went. Does anyone know where I can buy a 3.5mm Soldering Plug in Canada? I tried to buy one off of dx.com but it isn't accepting my Paypal, and I sure don't want to give them my credit card.

newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2938470

Want a PC that I can build
How will this run most modern games?

Use pcpartpicker.com in the future.
That build will run stuff pretty ok, but isn't a very good value.
Most importantly, don't buy a new GPU at the moment; wait until the end of the month when the AMD RX 480 is released. If nothing else it'll drive down the cost of older components.
AMD is releasing new, apparently much better CPUs, but that's coming late this year at earliest.
If you live near a MicroCenter parts there will likely be much cheaper.

Recommended: pcpartpicker.com/list/r3jZLD
Feel free to upgrade CPU to the FX-8320 or an Intel one.

nice try kike

What do you mean?

how'd you decide that PSU?

Wait for the RX 480 instead.

So I decided to pay for a VPN since I dont want to get v&. What are some Holla Forums recommended VPNs?

Whats wrong with partpicker? I use Newegg, amazon, and hell ill even head to microcenter if the price is good.

Sounds good.

I should mention that the AMD FX-8350 is purely theoretical at this point and from my understanding is the best non OC'd CPU on the AM3 socket line. Are there any other good AM3 socket CPUs that are as good or more powerful than the FX-8350? I bought the mobo originally to fix a computer with an Athlon X2 240+ and I'm trying to upgrade.

I'm thinking of either buying a second GTX 960 and run both in SLI or get a 970. Which one should i get, Holla Forums?

Okay, so my parents are buying me a PC. Budget is $350 and I'm going to buy new parts.

I'll use this for browsing the web, music, etc along with some games that I could run on a GeForce G105 M (geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-g105m/specifications).I'll run this machine on linux.

I'm torn between these CPUs
Pentium G4400
Pentium G3258
i3 6100
i3 4150

I don't know much about AMD CPUs, so I don't know if I can get a cheaper and /or better CPU at the same price as the Intel. I'm not buying a graphic card, so internal graphics should be good.

Which CPU should I get?
Will 4 GB of ram be enough? I don't install many programs and usually run a temperature monitoring program in the background. This used to lag sometimes on windows 8 (Which was on my old laptop, which broke).

Also, I don't intend to Overclock any component.

Neither. 960 in SLI will yield shit results and there's little reason to buy a 970 with the 1070 coming out.

$350 is a pretty low budget, but if you don't plan on gaming much on it that's not a huge deal.
When going with low-end components (and especially non-intensive components), go with AMD. Intel leads AMD in terms of sheer performance, but AMD dominates in the budget market. There's very little reason to ever buy an i3.
Given your situation I'd recommend getting an AMD APU. "APU" is just AMD's name for their CPUs that have rather good integrated graphics.
You're going to want at least 8 GB of RAM these days, especially if you're running on integrated graphics. Also because of that, you'll want relatively fast RAM.
If you don't plan on downloading movies and stuff, you can probably get by with a 120 GB SSD with no HDD.
Given this information, here's a sample build for $265:
pcpartpicker.com/list/MwPJxY
Things to consider expanding to it:
More powerful APU (up to +$50)
Hyper 212 EVO HSF for quieter operation and cooler temps (+$25)
16 GB of RAM (+$20)
Higher capacity SSD (+$25)
HDD (+~$50)
Adding an optical drive (+$20)
Adding a wifi card/getting a motherboard with wifi (+~$20)

What's the cheapest 16GB of RAM out there? I check pcpartpicker which gives me Newegg but my preferred shop is Amazon which changes the price.

I want to put together a workstation that can run matlab, photoshop, solidworks, and other 3d modeling software moderately well for as cheap as possible. Any suggestions?

I'd also like to know this.

So I'm in the market for a new pre-paid cell phone. Don't want a contract. I just switched from windows to linux mint recently, I wanted to pick a phone that has privacy and open source. Something that all the real pro hackers would recommend to semi-noobz. Any recommendations? The only thing I could find on amazon was this:

amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Phone-MeeGo-Camera/dp/B005HA3Y2O

DESCRIPTION: This 3G-ready Nokia N9 has a 1 Ghz Cortex A8 processor with 512 MB RAM running Linux-based MeeGo OS, v1.2 Harmattan operating system

My biggest concern is just privacy. I hate to think anyone reads all my shit. But I'll take the next best thing if it is literally impossible to have privacy on a cell phone.

so I should just buy one of the 1000 series cards?

And what if I buy the G4400 instead of the APU? What will be the difference? Which will last longer?

Will there be any problems with drivers on linux with AMD?

I want to buy another laptop with a better screen than my t420.

I heard you can mod a t420s or t430 to fhd or 2k but the regular t420 has problems with the screen mod. Is it worth an upgrade from my t420 to buy a one of these laptops and installing a better screen or should I get something else? I don't want to spend much more than 500 shekels.

I want to upgrade from my 660GTX to something that can render decently. Currently taking 2 hours for 10 minutes of FHD video. This needs to go down.
I also want to switch to AMD, since nvidia is getting a bit suspicious recently.
Pricerange is probably 300-500€
THis Graphics Card should outlast my current (intel) board, since it never was the best to begin with.

Blackphone or CyanogenOS with xPrivacy.
xPrivacy is generally one of the best utilites for android.

Ok, I'll give some more infos on what else I have.
I'll prolly transfer the new Card to a new Board by christmas or a bit later.

What's the deal with the Nexus 6P? Is it a good phone to root and install a new OS on? I know it's Google so it's not trustworthy, but it has almost the same specs as an old laptop I used to have so I was impressed. My old phone finally died so I thought it was time to get a smartphone. I've used rooted tablets before so I'm not completely new. If the 6P is no good, what are other good phones out right now?

That, or wait for AMD's cards, or wait for the price of old cards to drop.

The G4400 (and every other CPU you listed, for that matter) are much worse value than pretty much any AMD APU. The G4400 has half as many cores and much worse integrated graphics, but is only marginally cheaper. Both should last about the same time, both in terms of operation and usability.
AMD Linux drivers aren't as good performance-wise as they are on Windows, but you really shouldn't notice a difference if you aren't gaming.

The RX 480 will probably have pretty good rendering power, and is only ~200 EUR. Wait a few weeks for benchmarks to roll in. AMD is also announcing new cards in a few days at E3 (probably).

The Nexus 6P is generally considered to be the best phone on the market, aside from privacy concerns. It's slightly aged now, but still great. Other phones to consider are the LG G5, HTC 10, and Huawei's various models.

Are the AMD drivers on linux better or worse than nVidia on Loonix?

Also, which flavor of loonix should I install? Slackware? Debian? Arch?

Is this build good? Is it overkill?
pcpartpicker.com/list/83Xf7h

Assuming you're this user, Nvidia integrated graphics don't exist.
To answer your question though, for the time being Nvidia still edges out AMD in terms of Linux support, but the gap is shrinking, and I personally wouldn't put much weight on it for a purchase.

I'd personally recommend Ubuntu MATE for a first-time Linux user. Also consider Fedora, or any number of Debian-based distros.

The build is quite overkill for your needs, yeah, not to mention flawed.
You don't need an aftermarket HSF if you're not overclocking unless you're concerned with noise from the stock one.
If not making a system with integrated graphics, always get the cheapest compatible RAM. It'll make no real-world difference in performance.
That hard drive is generally just a bad value. For about 2.5 times the price you can get 15 times the capacity.
The R7 240 is also just sort of a lackluster value.
The Source 210 is a pretty good budget case, but $53 is way too much for it.
That PSU is incompatible with ATX chasis, and is a bad value given that you don't need the SFX form factor.

I'm looking to buy pic related for 100 dollars since it looks to be in fantastic condition, has the ultrabase and the key, and is a fucking collectible in my eyes considering there's no lenovo branding on it. I want it, I really fucking want to upgrade the shit out of this machine and customize it inside and out to be my precious meme machine, but years of the NSA boogeyman have gotten to me and I'm scared to death thinking some cunt is going to intercept this beauty and fuck with it to spy on me.
What the fuck is wrong with me? Do I even have anything to be worried about?

Yes user, I'm sure the NSA will dispatch one of their government agents to the post office to tamper with an autist's shitty laptop, after one of the government agents whose job is to monitor every transaction made on ebay/craigs list sends out an alert.

Better read this quick because I'm going to delete it before the NSA realizes what I know.

Okay, So I'm going with the build you suggested except the SSD.

Thanks!

Was hoping to make the upgrade from my old HD 7850 to an RX 480, only problem is my older Vishera CPU.

How much of a bottleneck will my Fx 6300 be on an Rx 480? I won't have the money to invest into any Intel CPUs and a new motherboard (even used) for a few months.

consider upgrading to a sandy bridge xeon

Is it overclocked by chance? L2R

Thanks for the advice! I saw the 6P had some pretty insane discounts around the web, so I figured it might be older. Still a step up from a basic phone. As long as it can be rooted I'll be happy!

the e5-1650 has an unlocked multiplier, but youll only be able to take advantage of it on x79 boards, not c602, c606, etc

also, if by chance you can find a compatible CPU, x99 boards are stupid cheap right now if you look in the right places

I need a cheap phone that runs CM or stock android without bs
my current android one has been unusable due to its poor battery life and it's small screen makes it difficult read ebooks

What's the most reliable desktop SSD series right now?

I haven't paid any attention in a long time, last time it was Samsung 840 or something like that.

Turns out the 840 series actually have some reliability concerns.
The 850 EVO is where it's at now. The 850 PRO is the same as the EVO except with a 10-year warranty.

I need to add storage to a computer which has neither SATA nor PCIe connectors.
All the PCI SATA cards I can find seem to be "RAID". But I do not want to set up a RAID. I may or may not add more than one hard drive.
Will PCI "RAID" SATA cards work as non-RAID adapters?

Looks like this processor we'll do fine in the long run, but since gaming is the most intensive thing I thought it might be better with a newer i5.

No it isn't overclocked at the moment due to a cheap motherboard and no after-market cooler, hence why I plan to upgrade regardless soon.

I'll look into these as well.

I'm looking for the best low-budget GPU for video editing. Vidya doesn't matter. Is the Phenom II still a good budget processor?

Is it worth anything getting an under 30$ GPU instead of dealing with integrated graphics? My friend says I should just get whichever and it will still be a huge improvement. Should I go for new or used, and what specs should I look for? Is there any botnet I should be aware of? Open linux drivers are obviously a plus, as are cross platform.

You might be able to find a used older card that would be worthwhile. If you were to bump your budget up to $60 you could start getting into territory like the GTX 550 Ti and HD6870.

Nvidia can tread on botnetty at times, but I'm not aware of any scandals regarding their software itself.

Linus Torvalds famously said "fuck you Nvidia" for their Linux driver policy, and while AMD's are open, they aren't as good as their Windows drivers, but are getting better.

Bought a thinkpad X61 and I'm kinda using it to learn to draw. And I tend to draw by pressing control-z a lot.

Is there any external mini-keyboard I could get to make this easier? There's pic related, which is 35USD and not programmable and then there are thoes weird Razer left handed gamer keyboards for 70-80 bucks.

I just need a cheap thing I can hold in my left hand without too much akwardness that can be reprogrammed to say ctrl+z over and over again, is there anything like that? I don't even care if it's only two buttons.

yes just buy a $7 usb numpad or some shit, what kind of question is this

and why can't the t9 be programmable?

can you point to a usb numpad that lists programmable as a feature?

You can bind macros to any key yourself easily or with a simple program m8

I was considering getting a Netgear x6 AC3000 Tri-band router from Costco because it's on sale right now, but I read that it has issues with overheating. Can anyone confirm this?

Can someone please give a more detailed answer to this. I just want to buy a new phone of amazon right now, $175 max

VPN renewal is upon me.

What's better:
a) buy another VPN for a year (about $40/year)
b) buy cheap vps and run my own vpn (about $10/year)

help me decide lads

cryptostorm is by far the safest VPN. I wouldn't trust anyone else right now.

VPNs are only 40 a year?

Heya Holla Forums. This is a bit of a weird question but what's a good piece of software for real time voice morphing? That is to say, I need something that can take input, apply effects or sound editing, and spit it back out into a microphone input. Don't say morphvox either, because believe me. I tried it. I wanted to believe it would work, but it's from like, 2005 and is so primitive compared to modern day tech that it's absurd. It's been over 10 years since that thing came out and I know there has to be something Better out there now.

Any advice? I hear GarageBand can do it, but I don't have or want a Mac.

I found this with a quick search.There is also some alternatives suggested.
alternativeto.net/software/morphvox-junior/

PIA $39.95/year
I'm with them now. Pretty good tbh.

I can't find info on where are the servers located and how many devices/computers can be connected at one time. I need at least four at once.

tldr: what is a super cheap wireless repeater I can buy if I have a hard ethernet connection to plug it into?

I'm using an ancient WRT54g upstairs as a wireless repeater for upstairs. (There's a hard ethernet connection to it.) It serves many rooms that the basement router can't reach.

Problem is it doesn't exceed 1 Megabyte/s. I have no idea why. Despite firmware resetting, putting on Tomato firmware and tweaking as per many tutorials, I can't get more than 1.0 MBytePS from it.

Not important enough to get a snazzy new router, I want cheapest you can get with reliability and function not sacrificed. I saw some on ebay, either dedicated wireless repeaters or wireless routers that can be repurposed for that end.

Suggestions?

Holla Forums is there any good free driver updating software you recommend?

no

Really?

yes
just use the updater in the driver utility
its not like drivers ever need updating aside from video card drivers anyway

Cheers. I can dig a bit on my own from here, thanks.

i need new fans (120mm, 140mm, and a 70mm for am3+ heatsink).
Who's sticker can I trust?

Wait for RX 480. 200 bucks and can do all of that well.
Otherwise I'd say R9 380 or R7 370.

Not sure if this would go in the hardware questions thread or here. I have two external monitors with VGA connectors, but my laptop only has one VGA port and an HDMI port. I have a VGA-HDMI adapter, but the ports are close enough on the case that the width of the VGA connector prevents me from using more than one port. Are there any "slim" VGA cables that just have the main connector and ditch the screws?

Alternatively, is there any sort of VGA hub that would let me use both external monitors in extended mode, instead of duplicating the image?

are all anti-static wrist wraps created equal? Why shouldn't I buy the $1.50 one on ebay?

No

Not AFAIK, since VGA kind of needs the screws to stay in and not hurt the port by lateral pressure

Also plz dont use digital to analog converter cables, is there any way you could HDMI->DVI?

On the monitor end sure, but I'm not particularly attached to these monitors (salvaged em both) and I'm more trying to figure out how to get them both connected to my laptop, which doesn't have the receivers for the screw connectors anyway. Am I missing something?
Unfortunately not. I have the HDMI-VGA adapter cause it came with a set of Pi components, and my laptop doesn't have DVI-out.

How come there are no 4:3 monitors being made anymore?

Because fuck us, that's why

The cheap one on ebay is fine as long as you don't break it

The package manager in your linux distro

hey guis
i'm looking at buying some old tech (nuclear/atomic age, space race, cold war type shit)
this might not be the right place to ask, if so, can someone point me in the right direction?

You can use Ableton's Live, apply phaser, try different poles, filters, pitches, distortions, frequency shifters, and you basically build a custom one out of random VST's and standard plugins.

Adding to what said, you can also use clip controls, changing shifting to "Tone" (the default is "Beats"), "Complex" or "Pro" (Complex Pro, high CPU utilization) and then go ham.

Grain delay is also a good way to obtain shifting and "morphing" of all sorts.

do you know in more detail what you're looking for?

what software are you using to draw?
Krita and Gimp both allow you to rebind pretty much any action.

Some decent headphones between 20-40 dollars?
No mic.

What's the deal with mobo reviews on newegg? At least half of them are negative for each one I look at. I want something cheap and reliable for an fx-6300 but apparently anything $50-100 breaks within months if not doa.

newegg.com/KVM-Switches/SubCategory/ID-143

PS4. Astro A40 TR's or A50's?

I'm open to other suggestions too. I was always just a Turtle Beach pleb but I want to get something better.

People are more likely to review something if they have a negative experience with it.

All gaming headsets are shit. Just get a good pair of headphones and a good mic.
teksyndicate.com/videos/gaming-headsets-suck-make-your-own-50-or-less

Thanks for the video. I don't even care about the mic to be honest, I hate talking to people. I just like a good headset because they make games 100% better overall in my opinion, plus it's nice being able to pinpoint footsteps so you can get the jump on people. I'd much rather only have to spend $50 than $300.

Should I get an heavily discounted 970 or pay more for a 1070?

It is for gaymen, I don't care about the VR gimmick but I want to run in high resolution.

Hello Tech, I need an alternative to the kindle 5th generation, as it is not available in germany. I don't want a touchscreen, just regular buttons. No need for pictures. Preferably easy to crack and store books from the PC on. Price range is under 100€.

Also: Is the kindle 4 still a viable option?

You can probably get a nook glo for cheap since B&N is practically giving them away

I need a lightweight headset and non-shit mouse. For the mouse I was looking into the Zowie FK but there are many models so I don't know which to get.

Can vouch for Zowie mice. As for headset, see

How high of a resolution are you talking about? 1440?,1800?, 2160?, higher?
If it is any of those espically the 1800 2160 and higher the 1070 should be able to give you very decent frames at those resolutions. At 1080 and 1440 it is very likely to be way way overkill.

Thinking about spending $93 on pic related, HP-16c clone (RPN). Tell me why I shouldn't and why I'm pleb-tier consumerist trrash

amazon.com/TASCAM-TH02-B-Closed-Back-Stylish-Headphone/dp/B00B1N06PO/ref=sr_1_2?srs=2530579011&ie=UTF8&qid=1466049979&sr=8-2&keywords=studio

these shit headphones are gayer than pulse

Might be the wrong thread, but does anybody know of a company that makes decent network switches that are both fully-manageable from the CLI and that have free software/firmware updates?

Can I program it for trig functions?

is this a good one ? msi.com/Multimedia/DS501-GAMING-Headset.html

I am planing to stop buying shitty 1$ headsets because they break easily and this is looks good and isn't too expensive.

see .

Thanks but doing that isn't something I can do. they(almost all online stores) don't ship stuff to here. my choices are either this store or this store.zoom.com.tn/259-casque

scoop.com.tn/accessoires-informatique-casque-micro

You see this shit? I've bought this thing six fucking times. I got a puppy a month ago. In the last month regardless of where I've kept it she's found and chewed through every single cord.

This last one she chewed through I was able to cut through and with some duct tape get working again, but she just chewed right through it again.

Part of the problem is how fragile the one I'm buying is. I need something I can coat in something that will make her not want to chew it, and a cord strong enough to survive a few seconds of chewing so I can take it away from her if she starts. With this one it's one chomp and I have to buy a replacement.

Has to be a mini B connection, it's for an external hard drive.

Try disciplining your fucking dog, buying her some chew toys, and not leaving your shit where she can get it.

Without igniting a browser war What is a light web browser that will work on my weak-little 1GHz ARM cortex A8 1GB of RAM PC and still display modern web pages in all their glory?

Alrighty, so anyways I just installed Midori and its fine for me, so whatever

Hi Holla Forums

I'm in need of a new laptop as my 5 year old Vaio has finally decided to give up the ghost.

Primary use will be for programing for things like collection of data and making scientific models.

However I would like to be able to use it for recreational purposes too (be able to run ableton and latest games at mid settings)

Price range is anything bellow £800, is this possible or am I fucking crazy?

Any help appreciated

already looked at logical increments

I want a device to discreetly put on my body and record conversations.
Preferably something NOT BOTNET

It needs to be able to run for hours at a time. Saving to an external removable replacable storage is an absolute must.

This is for education purposes right?

Yep, you're crazy. Everything else is easily doable though, just get a used ThinkPad or EliteBook.

amazon.com/s/field-keywords=voice recorder

how much extra would I be paying for the gaming side of things??
And what about on low settings then?

Low-settings is obtainable on pretty much anything in the 800 GBP range, but if you want to run new games at 1080p 60 fps mid-settings, you're going to want something with at least a GTX 960M. I actually looked at the prices of laptops, and you might actually be able to nab one for under 800 GBP. Just remember that just because one aspect of a laptop is good, doesn't mean that the others are.

If you're really lucky and want to spend a bit more, you might be able to find laptops with GTX 980Ms in them for under 1000 GBP, once the GTX 1080M starts to arrive in laptops.

did a quick search on lenovo and this came up:shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e560/?sb=:000000F0:000004AB:
this any good? the reviews have said it has some driver issues??

Sorry, I should have specified the professional series of ThinkPads. The E-series is, sadly, horseshit. The specs aren't too horrible, but I suspect the build quality is as bad as the rest of the Edge series.

Partly to prove my own sanity

guessing that's the the P series??
coz thats waaaay too expensive.
what about ideapads? never heard of them before but they are on the lenovo website.

Mostly the T-series.
Ideapads are shit.
And again, get a -used- professional laptop. Half the price and oftentimes like new.

better yet, refurbished. you can find them on ebay for prices comparable to used

you were so right '_'. my only option now is classic headphones but with neckband option instead, anyone got some good ones to recommend?

user hasn't compared modern earbuds with crappy old CD player headphones? In my experience, earbuds have better noise reduction (with the appropriate rubbed bud for your ear size) than anything that doesn't anchor itself to your ears very well, including expensive headphones.

see here

Tried these and any time they have broken, I have purchased them again. They have awesome bass, and pretty good overall response.

How are you supposed to find a good monitor with low input lag? I just want something that's 1920x1080 with low input lag and maybe IPS but I have no idea what I could use to find something like that. Are you just supposed to spin the roulette wheel because no one ever looks into that shit?

Logical Increments has monitors listed as being good for gaming but then has no data on them for input lag. How does that make any fucking sense?

yeah ive had bad experiences with referbs in the past.
would prefer to avoid them but will keep them in mind for a worst case scenario

What's a good price for a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 with no HDD and comes with a docking station?

well the ones I bought were using white noise as noise reduction tool anyway I just need them for home and in the poorfag category I can get better classic ones

pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#sort=d8&page=1&r=192001080&p=1

-Input- lag is essentially non-existent these days. Display latency is your main concern, however that's also below the refresh rate on almost all modern monitors.

Basically, unless the monitor is utter garbage, it's fine in terms of lag/latency/etc.

What exactly is the difference?

But alright, I'll get over my autism and just pick something.

I recently bought these:

asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-HDS/
amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-1GB-2xHDMI-Graphics-GV-N75TOC-1GI/dp/B00IGQ4UX8
I have the specific ram and harddrive for these but I want to make sure I get the right CPU and PSU.

What would be the best medium-priced processor and PSU for this setup? I'm looking for 500-550w and something above or equal to 2.5ghz.

From what I'm gathering input lag refers to the entirety of the lag from input to monitor output and display latency refers to just the input lag caused by the monitor. It seem pointless to differentiate between display latency and input lag when the latter is specifically referred to in the context of a monitor causing it, but I guess it's still good to know the distinction.

I would think (or at least hope) that any test for input lag for a monitor would ensure that other sources are minimal/at what pretty much everyone else would get.

I'm going on a trip that involves a lot of plane and train travel. I have some pretty fantastic headphones but they're not exactly compact or socially acceptable. I need some good earphones. I don't expect the best sound quality, just good sound quality at a cheap price. Not bargain bin-tier sound quality.
They need to be reasonably comfy as they'll be in my ears at least 4 hours per day.

Thanks, anons.

Koss PortaPro

Do they provide even a modicum of external noise mitigation? Do they bother those around you? These are the things I'm worrying about.

To anyone that has purchased a clicky clacky YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MOM keyboard, did it make programming more fun for you?
Thinking of buying a keyboard with blue switches, but I have no idea which one to get and I don't even know if it'll be worth the price.

Should add that I live in New Zealand so trying to get products from smaller manufacturers is basically kill yourself mode.

I'm looking to build a PC for video editing, but I have some questions before I look at parts:
-My first choice is AMD for both processor and GPU, are drivers on both acceptable for GNU/Linux? I'm looking specifically at Mint because of how well that's worked out for the old laptop on which I installed it.
-How is Lightworks on GNU/Linux? It looks like it's got a good pedigree, but is there anything better for quick, high quality video editing in an easy graphical interface?

You don't need to worry about processor, you don't need drivers for those. As for graphics card: the advice used to be that Nvidia was the only way to go. Recently AMD brought out a new driver called AMDGPU, and people are optimistic that it'll help fix the issues that people have. If I were you though, I'd just go with Nvidia. Nvidia's proprietary drivers suck in some ways, but they've been giving good performance consistently for a fairly long time. Going with AMD seems like a bit of a gamble. In the future AMD might be the better choice, but it's not a risk I'd take

Just edit video in a Windows VM. video editing is impossible in Linux. your shit will crash constantly.

also don't listen to this guy.
I have a recent Nvidia card (gtx750) and the drivers are fucking terrible. the only option if you want a crash-free, tear-free desktop environment is amd's open source drivers.

u wot m8? Nvidia's proprietary drivers are universally agreed to be great. For a long time, they were the only real option for Linux gaming. The only way you're having a bad experience is if you're a retard who's fucked up your system, or if you're using nouveau

also FWIW: I've had a 780 for ages, and I've had a perfect experience with it on Linux. No crashing, no slowdowns. Little bit of tearing, but perfectly manageable by using a compositor and adjusting driver settings.

also FWIW: I've had a 780 for ages, and I've had a perfect experience with it on Linux. No crashing, no slowdowns. Little bit of tearing, but perfectly manageable by using a compositor and adjusting driver settings.

I want a Motorola Moto or maybe Samsung Note or S phone if I can remove all the bloatware. I only need to do basic Android bullshit, take pictures, text, call, and have a flashlight. Don't need any extra fancy bullshit. Don't mind buying used because my budget is around $150. Which one do I buy?

I don't know which of those 3 is the best, but if you don't want bloatware then why not buy an old Nexus?

Forgot about those. The Nexus 5 was good, right?

AFAIK they were all good. I never used the 5 myself, but my 6 is fantastic and a friend of mine loved his 5

I consider buying blackberry Q10. Don't care about all them fancy applications.

That being said, I never used blackberry OS - can I get rid of botnet and bloatware?

Also it would be nice if the combined price would be 100$.

>Nvidia's proprietary drivers are universally agreed to be great. For a long time, they were the only real option for Linux gaming
Yeah, they have this reputation because they're good-performing in games, and people just ignore all of the other problems. Nvidia proprietary drivers are just as crash-prone and shitty as nouveau.

Tech illiterate here.
Witnessed the spergout about win10 being a botnet when the beta came out and saw various infographs floating around.
Got an ITfag friend who says he disabled all spyware stuff and monitored his shit with wireshark. Saying it is at least as safe as using win7.
Please no advice about using Mint. I tried, i failed because of missing driver.

Is my friend full of shit or should i upgrade before it is too late?

He is full of shit, this spyware is made by thousands of people who half the time work on making it unstoppable. It is impossible to remove it without having a whole nations government at your side, and even then it would take decades.

Windows 7 and 8 have been updated to have the exact same spyware features that are in 10 that people were yelling about.

There are a number of tools to disable the spying features like Spybot Anti-Beacon and Destroy Windows Spying.

Also, Microsoft has had the ability to arbitrarily install updates (and therefore take total control of your computer) with your explicitly *denied* permission since at least Windows XP. So yeah, your privacy and security has been fucked for well over a decade, but with the right tools, no moreso than it was a decade ago.

Can anyone suggest me some cheap (preferably

Would you put a new AMD 480 with a intel i7 2600k? I really don't want to build a new PC. Will the cpu bottle neck it?

You'll be fine for 99% of games.

I'm looking for a netbook with high battery life to use as a thin client. I'd actually like it to be as small as possible, and I don't care much about screen size, as long as it's around a foot diagonally. It's also a plus if it has passive cooling, because I'm concerned that I may fall asleep with it in bed and start a fire by covering the exhaust.

I'm strongly considering the ThinkPad X230, probably even the convertible tablet version.

Well Blackberry is basically the most privacy focused tech company around.

The 2600K would probably bottleneck it to a degree, but you should still be able to easily reach 60 fps in almost any game at 1080p high settings.

Wouldn't overclocking the CPU help quite a bit?

So I just found out that the sansa clip+ is fucking discontinued. Fucking hell, why must this happen to good products?

So anyway is there another Holla Forums reccomended cheap mp3 player? Is the sansa clip zip any similar?

yeah you can OC it. but again, 99% of games you won't get bottlenecked. most vidya aren't that heavy on CPU.

the clip zip is mostly the same, but IIRC rockbox won't go on it. it still does FLAC though so it should be fine.

Holy fuck have you been living under a rock for the past five years? Clip zip is discontinued by now too. The current clip is the clip sport, and it's not rockbox compatible.

It's ok, I don't need to run gentoo on a 1 inch screen, if it's a reliable cheap mp3 player it's good for me.

I'm trying to find a cheap microphone, are there any that can fit in a bag.

I just bought these LED strips

ebay.ca/itm/5M-300LED-SMD-3528-5050-5630-RGB-White-Flexible-Strip-Light-Remote-Power-Supply-/181929534674?var=&hash=item2a5bd864d2:m:m0scM64YX98bf-el_nc1P_w#rpdCntId

and it's defective. They're nice and bright but they have more than a few problems, setting the max brightness on white setting makes it blink on and off, the RGB color adjust buttons don't work and the biggest one being the power supply makes a whining noise and gets extremely hot within 5 minutes, I can't stress enough how hot it gets, that can't be right. They've sold thousands of these things and the seller has 99% rating. It comes from China, I should have known not to buy chink shit.

My question is, where can I buy a nice set of LED strips with a power supply that I don't have to worry about catching on fire or exploding.

I've checked amazon and they seem to sell the exact same kit I bought. Thanks

amazon.ca/RioRand-Waterproof-300LEDs-Flexible-Controller/dp/B00KUTTWFK/ref=sr_1_3/189-9138582-0353545?ie=UTF8&qid=1466562011&sr=8-3&keywords=LED strip

Nigga, keep dat bitch under control.

What type of bag? Also price range and audio expectations?

Should I resist getting a replacement PSU fan from eBay? Is brand important?

If your power supply is having problems cooling, you should probably get a new power supply because your current one was horribly designed.

The fan started making noise after taking it on a plane and I'm short on cash. It happened last time too, taking it in my carry-on bag was the only option at the time

Well, after one final fall, my headset snapped and are now almost completely unusable.

I've needed to get a new pair of headphones for a while, but the headset worked fine, and I didn't want to really shell out the money for one, but now I have no real choice.

So, what are my best options? I had a headset, but I don't want one since I have a nicer standalone mic anyways. Also I'd like something comfy, I think my headset fucked up my ears, it was fucking uncomfortable.

I've got a Nexus 6 and I want to replace it with something that has better battery life, as currently I'm getting around 4-5 hours screen time per charge which just isn't good enough. It needs to be cheap ideally, around £150 so I can just sell this and buy something else without spending any money. I'd like a 5" or so screen, good battery life, SD slot, and stereo speakers if possible. Ideally I'd have another HTC One M8 but I don't want another one. What are my options?

What kind of keyboard should I look for if I prefer minimal key travel?

Who says you have to buy it new? There's a lot of unopened ones on eBay too, I think.

Have an old case I bought but never used. Figured I may as well build a desktop instead of just dicking around on my laptop. Recommend me some hardware.

A computer bag, I don't give a shit, it just needs to work.

The devil is always in the details.
What screen size is supported? As for the mircophone, one that you plug into AV equipment/USB/wireless. Maxium budget?
Screen resolution? Max budget? What case is it? What is the computer`s purpose? How long do you want to keep it for? I would assume you already have a KB&M?
Have you seen ?

Assuming you just want a general use machine on the cheaper side:
pcpartpicker.com/list/mRmf7h

USB, its a 17 in laptop, mostly any price under $45

I have about a grand a month walking around money to last until whenever.

Case is Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis without Window Cases PH-ES614PC. I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan that I bought too. I had some other parts, but I just can't remember what happened to them and I got distracted and forgot about all this shit for like a year and a half. Mostly for watching anime. I have over 20TB of it scattered across a bunch of drives and it's a real pain in the ass. I used to use JMM to manage all that but it makes laptops chug away like they are going to die. I would definitely like more than one monitor. So I can plink around on games, listen to anime, and shitpost simultaneously. I wouldn't mind keeping it for a year or two. That's usually how long a laptop lasts me until it turns to shit and I throw it away.

Oh and I would probably like to set up some kind of NAS with a raid array so I don't lose a decade and a half of anime that I like.

Oh an is there anything like JMM for linux? I switched over and I kinda like it so I don't want to switch back if I don't have to, but managing my animes is a top priority.

Is the budget for the NAS separate to the budget for the computer?
If the budget is seperate what is the max you want to spend on the NAS and Computer?

Man, it don't matter. Overall? I guess 5-6K should be enough. Right?

Also is there an alternative anime media manager?

Also is there an alternative anime media manager?
alternativeto.net/software/japanese-media-manager/
Also there is this other option that has it's own board.
Would a even split be about right or should a focus onone over the other?

What are the best sites for building PCs in Germany/Austria and hardware sites all around that deliver quickly to these countries? Any fellow yuropoors who can give me recommendations?

Some quick suggestions.
NAS pcpartpicker.com/list/NHZxYr Lowish power CPU seeing as it is likely to be on most of the time. PSU, again high efficency seeing as it is likely to be on most of the time. Same deal with the lower power RAM. The 32GiB of RAM is because I belive that ZFS needs 1GiB per TiB of storage. Which exactly matches the current storage capacity.
The low capacity SSD is for the boot/OS drive and because why not.
OS: NAS4Free because "NAS4Free dispenses with the fancy stuff and sticks with a more down-to-earth and focused "I am a NAS and I am good at it" game plan. ....but NAS4Free has a much cleaner, more usable interface. It readily exposes more of the information you actually need without cluttering things up with glitz that you don't." - archive.is/iy6qx . Another related article - archive.is/1k1YJ
Desktop - pcpartpicker.com/list/KTgXHN
For the OS Windows 7, a copy of x64 Pro can be found here mega.nz/#F!B40TUDIJ!SYXTClz6K5Puz48IKQ-nrQ
It contains; .iso, iso's sha256 (file intergity during upload/download) and activation tool.The iso/s sha1 matches the one listed on the installgentoo wiki page. 1440 is a nice jump over 1080. The two GPU are so that the screens won't be under feed. Again SSD for boot/OS/some games and the 1TiB for storage/the rest.
Total: NAS ($3114.25) + Desktop ($2205.21) comes to $5,319.46 keyboard and mouses, as well as speakers are personal preference.
This sounds like it fits the critera as long as it is intended to not be attached to the laptop - amazon.com/CAD-U37-Condenser-Recording-Microphone/dp/B001AIQGUO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466673484&sr=8-4&keywords=usb microphone . Smaller one, amazon.com/Samson-Mic-Portable-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B001R76D42/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1466720097&sr=8-19&keywords=usb microphone .

I thought the post had been deleted as I was dumped back to the front page.

A few quick changes to the NAS based off the first page of the article that archive.is/iy6qx is apart of.
pcpartpicker.com/list/tN48KZ
Dropping the SSD as both FreeNAS and NAS4Free are designed to be installed to a USB. Also adding in a CD-ROM drive so that you can do "FreeNAS and NAS4Free share a relatively easy setup process. You download an ISO and burn it to a CD-ROM. You then boot from the CD-ROM and install from the CD-ROM to a USB thumbdrive. " . Afterwards I would suggest placing the CD-ROM into the desktop as mine has come in handy many times when USB boot decides to not work. Doesn't matter which one that you find.

Hey I am looking to buy a used phone. my budget is around 200€. any recommendations ?

Man it don't matter. As long as I can run my anime and play touhou and FFIV in another monitor and have a thread open on another screen at the same time it's good.

Hi Holla Forums
Getting a build for gaming (BF4 ultra) and music production (fl / ableton)
Asus Z170 Pro
i5 6600k
GeForce GTX 970
EVGA G2 550W
Cosair 8GB DDR4

Are there any parts that could be made cheaper put have the same overall performance

GTX 970 is probably the worst GPU you can purchase at the moment. Already inferior in price and performance to the R9 390, and both are about to be usurped by the RX 480. If you want something more powerful, go with a GTX 1070 or 1080. There are essentially only three GPUs you should be considering purchasing new at the moment.

The G2 550W is a good PSU, but looking at the current prices (~$90) its a bit more than you should pay. The equally good SeaSonic S12II 520W is available on Amazon for $60 at the moment.

Always buy the cheapest compatible RAM. Faster RAM makes no real-world difference in performance. I'd also recommend 16 GB considering the rest of your rig, but that's by no means necessary.

Also keep in mind that the 6600K doesn't come with a stock cooler.

The 1070 and 1080 are £100+ more than the 970. Aren't there new 1070 and 1080's coming out soom so those should go down in price right? probably not by much though

SeaSonic is about £20 cheaper than the G2, I was a little worried that 520W wouldn't power the whole thing but i guess that saves some money.

for RAM would that be 2x8GB or 4x4GB?

yeah I got a HSF sorted 212 EVO £28

Intel`s consumer grade motherboards only support dual channel. It you want quads channel you would have to fall back to X99 or what ever the Pro targeted motherboards are called.
That will serve you well. Good choice, it's the best bang for the buck.
Also I can't resist/ to get it out of the way.

Nvidia is pulling their jew tactics again by charging extra for launch models. The "Founder's Edition" 1070 costs $450, and the regular one (releasing soon) is $380. $700 and $600 for the 1080. Not sure what the Britbrong prices are, but they should correlate pretty closely.

Your current power draw is under 400W, and that's assuming a beefy 1080.

2x4 will probably be cheaper, but unless you plan on eventually upgrading to 32 GB, it shouldn't matter.

Incorrect. Only really low-end Intel chipsets don't support quad channel.

am i missing something with the >Botnet: Maximum Edition there

Cheers for info on jewvidia. looking at the prices they look about the same 1070 is £400 and the 1080 is £600 so may still be a little over budget.

how do you work out power draw?

Intel is botnet.
boingboing.net/2016/06/15/intel-x86-processors-ship-with.html
Nvidia is also botnet,

Add the TDP of all your components together.

I was being snarky for the most part. Both Intel and Nivida are botnet memes around here, so to see both means an extra dose.
Probably a mixture of past expirences, past reviews and the general trend of increases in power efficentcy as it is a main goal for the entire technology sector.

Thanks for the correction. Is it the same case with AMD?

What's new there then eyy, fucking everything spies on you now.

Not that I'm aware of. All the popular consumer AMD CPUs at the moment support quad channel at minimum AFAIK.

I need a soldering iron that gets the job done.

Thanks that means I can make a change to so that can have 16TiB of more storage. As well as increase my desktops RAM to 16GiB while removing the 8GiB of Kingston, who I don't really trust as a manafacture as they bait and switched a SSD that when reviewed had a good price to performance without making it obvious that the internals were different.

pcpartpicker.com/list/DVjyf8

i would have to buy a network card to get wifi with this, right?

Any other problems with this build?

Correct.

Either don't get that CPU, or get a different motherboard. There's not really any reason to buy a Z170 mobo with a non-overclockable CPU like the 6700.
The 840 EVO is a horrible buy, you can get the superior 850 EVO in the same capacity for far less.
Hitachi HDDs offer a better price/performance than WD.
Don't buy an R9 390. The RX 480 is about to release which will offer superior performance at $200. Alternatively, the $380 GTX 1070 will be more powerful still.
I'd normally call that PSU overpriced, but there doesn't appear to be a well-priced competitor at the moment.

Is there any reccomended wireless network cards or is anything with a decent price/reviews score ok?

Better? pcpartpicker.com/list/rWDxYr
Thought I did get an unlocked one. The K means that, right?
I always forget which HDD are better than the rest.
Thanks for the tip on the RX480, I guess I'll get that next week and get everything else today.

Be sure to get an 'ac' card if your network supports it, otherwise pretty much anything will be fine.

K means unlocked, yeah.

What's a good skylake-compatible motherboard for Linux, ideally out of the box with no blobs required or hacking ALSA?

I've owned three wired 360 controllers for PC and they all have this problem after a month where they automatically disconnect if the controller gets moved at all. The only 'solution' I've found for this is taping the wire to the back of the controller, but even then it will still fuck up every once in a while.

I looked up the best gamepads for PC but all I found were articles shilling for the xbone elite controller. Are there any other good gamepads for PC that aren't xbox ones, or at least ones that don't have this problem I've been experiencing?

So, it's time to retire my old gtx 650

The best gpu I can afford is a 960. Any known issues? Does it explode, burn or take control of your mind? Also, looking at the specs I guess it will be a significant performance jump over my old card, am I wrong? Anyone knows if it is slow or just not a good price/performance product?

That sounds like the controllers wires are broken or an issue on your pc. I've used a cheap, chinese usb controller for a few years and it's still working. Also, if you're used to xbox controllers, you should get similar ones (Most gamepads are like ps2's)

don't buy a new GPU right now, jesus christ. Even if you decide you still want a 960, the new AMD cards will drive the price way down.

I dont think that will make a huge difference, and a friend will buy my 650, so I have extra money. I just wanted to make sure that gpu didnt have any common issue, and if there are better gpus for around 200€. I'll check amd anyway

it's going to make a big difference. the rx470 will be $150 and it's going to be better than the gtx960.

oh, I thought the amd cards would be just an small improvement over 960 and more expensive. I just googled it, if they do what they promise you just made me a huge favor, thanks man