Transhumanism

Any transhumanists here?

Transhumanists believe that nanotechnology and strong AI will allow us to upload our minds, become super intelligent, get custom bodies, and live forever. Most transhumanists believe that all of this will become possible in the first half of this century.

Personally, I'd like to spend 2-3 days per week as a bird. I'm not an otherkin but I like the flying aspect and think birds look cool.

I'm currently enrolled in a double major in nanoscience and computer science and am saving up for a cryonics arrangement with CI or Alcor. I'd like to get into research or join a startup in the near future.

As for a general introduction to the subject, I would recommend reading Kurzweil's "The Singularity is Near" although there are enough resources available online now as well. :)

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/information-entropy/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The only thing that's going to happen is that you'll be goaded into consuming more. That's it.

Kurzweil is a fraud. He doesn't understand anything about human psychology at all.

He's even worse when it comes to logic, like, he's not even capable of accepting the basics.

Actually I'm currently trying to make an effort to consume less. I have a 4" smartphone and I'm tying this from a laptop made in 2003. I currently live in a one bedroom flat and don't own a car. Even if I was making $500,000 a year, I doubt my lifestyle would be any different from today.

I personally follow the FIRE (financial independence retiring early) philosophy which rejects excessive consumerism in lieu of financial security.

I admire Kurzweil on his futurist views, hell he's Director of Engineering at Google

But with that being said his views on the singularity are completely illogical. I mean I love the idea of Transhumanism so I commend the guy on his optimism, there just isn't anything to back his claims up.

His view of exponential growth is flawed. Look at the 2045 project he was apart of, it was a great group if intelligent folk and the project was backed by a Russian billionaire. The project literally hasn't achieved anything, we simply aren't there yet.

Imo (and I'm no scientist) We won't see anything like that for at least 100 plus years. We are insanely young as far as a technological civilization Stand point goes. The world doesn't really look much different from 50 years ago Besides the obvious. I think with Moore's law people are expecting technology to get better while progressively getting faster at getting better, but that's wrong

If that was the case we'd have fucking insane technology right now.

robowifefriend when?

Transhumanists are delusional brats.

The whole point of a singularity is that there will be immense change in a very, very short timescale following years of slow, steady progress. Think of how the state of machine chess or machine go looked like back in the 70s and 80s or 90s and 00s, respectively. Progress was slow and boring and then suddenly in the space of a single AI vs. human match lasting a few days at most, humans became completely irrelevant.

Yeah no shit but we aren't at that point yet, and quite frankly we won't see it in our lifetime. Look around, technology is really dull. Fast forward to 2150 you'll definitely see that. Basically our grandchildren we be playing with the prototypes of the cool shit, the prototypes.

I believe we need robots, humans, and androids. Robots if something kills all biological life, humans if a shock wave disables all electricity, and androids to put the best of both together (human creativity and robot's calculation/preciseness).

We only need AI waifus and VR.

Kurweil is a hack. He's great at programming and as an inventor. But his religion (singularitism) is as bonkers as any other religion.

All signs point to singularity being unachievabl…

if you believe this you're a dumb nigger

i believe we can acheive transhumanism and id go for it if it offers only improvements and no drawbacks, like i wouldnt trade eyes for cameras, cuz eyes have greatr brightness range in which they operate well.
Do i count as transhumanist? What is it, that u wanna know about transhumanism, that bothers u?

What bothers me is the fact that transhumanist look at technology as a panacea. The all-solution. And it's not.
Technology creates problems while it solves other. In fact, technology creates problems while solving non issues.
That's why the singularity won't be achievable.

like what problems?

Like global warming and deforestation and cancer and a wider economic gap and energy based wars and better/easier population control and more stupidity and…

Seriously, technology and science can't cure the common cold. Yet singularitarians think they are gonna live forever.

scince and technology cures cold. Wishful thinking doesnt.
HOLY SHIT, GUYS, VACCINES DONT FIX GLOBAL WARMING! THEY JUST FIX IMMUNOLOGICAL SYSTEM! THEY R CLEARLY TRASH, JUST FORGET ABOUT THEM!
Im pretty sure transhumanists believe getting rid of the body fixes the body problems. Living forever fixes the population increase. Not needing food fixes hunger. Not having cells fixes cancer. Try school before u try talking.

I'm on your side asswipe. I don't think we will achieve singularity nor posthuman status. It goes against thermodynamics laws and the fermi paradox and drake equation prove singularity is unachievable.

wtf is singularity in this context? Singularity is what universe was at the beginning. Hows that connected to making human body a robot?

I really, really hope you are not the the guy that said
Or5 you would be really, really, reaaaaally stupid…

Singularity, in this context, refers to the amount of technological and scientific advances. See how in the last few centuries these two things have accelerated? Well, the technological singularity is the theoretical scenario in which huge technological advances will occur in a few days or hours. Not decades or years. Thanks to strong AIs

and how do quick advances violate thermodynamic laws and fermi paradox?

Not quick advances. But the second law of thermodynamics states that advances (i.e. information processing) is simply impossible after a while. Singularity is the moment when, in a time-information processing function, the graph goes up almost vertically. That's bound to break sooner or later. Transhumanist believe there will be a solution to this entropy. Those transhumanists call themselves extropians. Much in the same vein of christians believing in the rapture.
The Fermi Paradox is based on two ideas: 1. Cosmic mediocrity principle and 2. exponential growth.
If we are to achieve singularity and post human status, then, some other civilazation out there must have achieved it before (mediocrity principle). It would be pretty easy for a transhuman colony to populate space (exponential growth) but we haven't found anything out there. Not even ruins or anything like that. Which means the fermi paradox resolves itself in the second to last step of the drake equation

Which means extinction. Before we achieve transhuman levels we will go extinct.

wtf kind of nonsense is this talk about information processing and thermodynamics? How is information processing thermodynamics? Show me the papers.
"ther rule of not informing primitive societies about our tehc from str trek" says, that aliens dont want to be found, regardless if they r transaliens, or not

Don't be a fucking retard, OP.

Here:
plato.stanford.edu/entries/information-entropy/

Why would they do that? Seriously, why would they do that aside of giving star trek nerds hope.

Dude, you really are dense aren't you? Or just a huge sperg.

why would they show themselves to other primitive aliens, aside from giving u hope?

show me your professors diploma in theoretical physics, nigger

Fucking transhumanists using the goddamn human bathrooms

I don't know. To use their matter for computronium? Every time a higher civilization has contact with a less civilized group, the less civilized group tends to disappear. Either by violent means or cultural absorption.

Ok. You are a massive sperg, then.

how bout they use the uninhabited matter for whatever mcguffin u gonna shit out instead, since it requires no effort to conquer any civilisation to begin with?

stay ass-mad, u retarded nigger bitch jew cumguzzling fuck

Choose one.

choose 1

You want to be transhuman but can't use google…

u want to win an argument, but uses ignotum per ignotum
why would u self-replicate if u r already immortal?
Its like u fucks want to be transhuman, but cant go past the primitive urge to fuck and have kids to continue the genes life

and implying the ships have to b the size of a planet

I don't think transhumanism is even possible. It's the rapture for nerds.

U think u are vbery smartness ain't u? U… U…
U…

Stop being able to spell vowels, u fuck

Oh shit… the sperg levels on you are off the charts.

They would need to be several billions of atoms in size. As big as a can of coke. Trust me I did the math.

and they need to fill the entire universe, to be safe.
And they wont just turn on each-other. And transhumanism isnt just to put consciousness into more durable, more versatile platform, no. Its about making singularity that violates thermodynamics. And that we need more advances, after we achieve them all.
How bout u stop being a sperg and pull your had out of your ass. The philosophy "paper" trips over how "intelligence" is needed to lower entropy and how that requires energy to think, which violates nothing.

head*

You are using the same arguments than a religious person. "I need to believe it, therefore must be true"

only i dont

Yeah you do

yeah, u do

No, U. Eat shit

Fuckin' trannies, kill urself srsly.

no, u. U already do

I suggest reading Nick Bostrom's - "Superintelligence" for a more to the ground perspective regarding strong AI.

You can find the pdf here:
>>>/pdfs/630

I wouldn't put my hopes on the future so much, life happens today, not tomorrow.

nanomachines bruh

Gosh that sucks. Oh wait no it it doesnt.
Im still looking for a surgeon who is willing to do it.