Inherent Problem

Sup Holla Forums shitty coder here. I need help with coding.

This is a question to actual coders. What do you code with? I can't stand using vim with python. Sublime is out the question. Eclipse is heavy. I want something like lite like gedit or kate with plugins. I wish gvim supported vim plugins. Emacs keybindings are madness.

Pls help boss.

Other urls found in this thread:

code.visualstudio.com/
gnu.org/s/emacs
plugins.geany.org/
code.visualstudio.com/Docs/supporting/faq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

??? but it does

pico
geany

IDK, if you're just starting, a simple notepad-ish application will do. No need for a full-blown IDE or fancy keybinds/plugins at this point.
- Dunno what's wrong with sublime, it's fine.
- Gedit
- Kate
- Nano
- Fucking leaf-/mousepad are fine too.
- Notepad(++) if on wingdings
- Seriously, there's a lot.

Guide nigga? I don't know where gvim stores its vim plugin files and stuff. I like Kate a gedit but wish there was a linter plugin and stuff.

Atom or Nano

I want a editor like kate or gedit with support for linting and debuging/running code in editor. Sublime text has issues running python code so does geany.

Basically geany that has plugins. Gvim is great but I have a hard time figuring out how to customize it and install a plugin manager.

Atom is way to heavy and why use nano when I'm already using vim. I'm not spurg enough to rice out my vim config and remember additional configs and settings.

The only other option I sorta like is sublime minus the license and hackish support for compiler debugging.

Geany, kate, gedit, and mousepad needs a plugin manager.

I just love notepad++ and wish there was a fitting replacement for linux.

You're doing it wrong. Yes, some editors support doing so, but they're shit at doing more than the most trivial thing (I use vim, running love2d stuff and make is fine, but for CLIs you often have readline fucking up and can't pass arguments). Just open a terminal beside it and ALT+TAB to it.
As for debugging/linting, you will find that it's most annoying if you are used to saving your file while not finishing the code you wrote, as it will scream in agony (C linter is annoying if you're doing embedded stuff with a non-standard compiler). Just open up a linter in the terminal once in a while, or have your compiler scream at you instead.

(cont.) Also, why do you want a fucking plugin manager so bad? Imo, you'll usually just end up with a bunch of useless plugins you wouldn't use anyway. Also, if you're learning vim with plugins, you're doing it wrong. Vim should be learned to use without any plugins at all, at least while learning how to use it.

I see your point. When I write code mainly to shift through data and sort stuff I prefer a light editor like notepad++ with plugin support. Since I'm ditching windows I'm really missing notepad++.

Python, c++, and js are my most used languages. I don't use vim with many plugins other then a few. Question how do you organize your relatively small projects? Do you use git or save everything as a project file?

geany

atom is botnet

Yeah I'll likely use the workflow but with gvim instead.

Use IDLE

Geany and nano.

I use Emacs. The keybindings are not great, but you can get used to them and you can easily change them. There are also packages to change them to mimic other editors. There's even a vi emulation mode built in.

Use geany, it's comfy as fuck

why do you want plugins?
what plugins do you want? what features do you need?

Linting, dark themes, debugging, multilingual support.

code.visualstudio.com/

YOU ASKED FOR IT, NOW YOU'RE GETTING IT

gnu.org/s/emacs

Quints for curiosity
What the hell is this? Is it free?

I meant quads fuck

It's an IDE Microsoft released for Windows, OS X and Linux. It builds on top of Electron, a base that Atom created based on Chromium. It's free as in free beer, and the source code is released under a free as in freedom license. I think the official builds are technically proprietary if you care about that.

I was using PyCharm (non-free version) when I was doing python dev. I have no idea if there's any notable limitations in the community edition.

There were some performance issues, but that was mainly thanks to the abysmal codebase I was working on.

AND lightweight!!! You lost.

its a fucking text editor not an IDE

Emacs. I like how modes work.
If you want to code just code. Nobody hires a saw master with years using a really expensive saw. They hire a carpenter. In the same way, nobody gives a shit how you code, it's the end result that matters.
If you need a recommendation though try Geany, Gedit, Kate or Notepad++. They're very basic, and are pretty much Notepad with a few helpful features.

Nobody knows how to program or do anything technical, it's just a circlejerk about muh loonux

Just take the time to learn Emacs, it's exactly what you want. It's not a bad investment for an editor that you can use for the rest of your life.

Geany has plugins you numbnuts.

plugins.geany.org/

code.visualstudio.com/Docs/supporting/faq

>VS Code is a small download (< 100 MB) and has a disk footprint of less than 200 MB

use ed you faggot

>small download (< 100 MB)

#include int main (int argc, char *argv[]){ char c; FILE *f = fopen(argv[1], "a"); while (c = getchar()) fputc(c, f); fclose(f);}

import sysf=open(sys.argv[1],"a")while c=sys.stdin.read(): f.write(c)f.close()

#!/bin/shecho $2 >> $1cat $1exit

just why

actually the download is around 30MB

QT creator.

Geany is really nice.

How is it possible for a person to be this fucking retarded? THEY BOTH USE THE SAME FILES. Jesus christ, reddit summerfaggotry is beginning already.

Holla Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site. We have stickies for that. Keep those kinds of posts in there.

For tech support, software recommendations, and other questions that don't warrant their own thread, please use the 'Holla Forums Questions and Support' sticky.

test

test