Why do action movies these days feel too choreographed? For example, Dredd, The Raid, John Cuck, etc...

Why do action movies these days feel too choreographed? For example, Dredd, The Raid, John Cuck, etc. Why can't we get action scenes that feel raw and brutal like what we got Die Hard instead of acrobatic kung fu piece of shit for nu males?

Tbh I liked john wick,kill bill and equilibrium unironically.

It makes sense thematically in Equilibrium. Gun kata is supposed to be based upon a cool collected unemotional series of movements that transition swiftly from stance to stance based upon memorized patterns of exact statistical analysis. It is a visual representation of the entire social philosophy instituted by the Tetragrammaton Council.

There's a lot of films that fit your criteria, but they aren't good and memorable at all. Taken 2/3 and The November Man felt very slow-paced and sluggish. I would rather have choreographed fights that look nice in weak films like vid related.

Raw and brutal action is only good with action movies that have good writing like the Wild Bunch or Die Hard because it's immersive.

I think a lot of times in modern action movies an action scene that's supposed to be brutal doesn't appear that way at all because of heavy jump cuts and actors who don't know how to fight. The example that comes to mind here is the Taken trilogy and the Expendables movies and the Nolan Batman movies.

Since you posted a Scott Adkins movie I really enjoyed his Undisputed movies.

That looks heavily choreographed, although the editing is better than John Wick and the likes.

I don't know, I think what it needs the most are good cinematography and good acting. The first time I watched Die Hard, it was only the glass room shootout bit, but that scene already impressed me so much.

Good movie action died when Jackie Chan came to Hollywood.

I hate Marvel wirefu/CG choreography, but I like stylized HK/Asian choreography and Die Hard Choreography.

Jackie Chan wanted to show comedic rather than serious fight, I think that's the point.

No I'm saying Jackie really raised the bar and then got neutered when he came to Hollywood. His successors back in Hong Kong have been pretty lame.

You don't feel the fights in Raid 1 and 2 weren't raw and brutal?

Can't believe I still haven't seen this one.

There's weirdly a lot of talented western stunt choreographers (see webm), but I think that Hollywood can't emulate HK cinema well because of the industry's schedule and structure. From what I remember, a huge of time is spent in the conceptual phase, but a short amount of it is spent on the shooting phase. It's the other way around in the HK industry, they don't even bother with storyboards at all.

I thought they were, but I can see why he found it immersive with the strikes and kicks. It's still awesome though.

Shame they couldn't keep the fucking camera steady.

I liked John Wick. It was basically just a bunch of fight scenes thrown together, did it well, and didn't pretend to be much more than that. It was fun.

go watch some MMA faggot

Niggers have too many rule and restraints. Fuck you nigger

Nigga what

One of the things I like about the Raid was how creative some of the fights could get. In the first one they're trapped in a room so they shoot the floor and make a hole and fall through. Its stuff like that I think is missing in action movies today. Clever little moments like that interspersed with the fight scenes. Hell Indiana Jones movies were pretty good with this.

Because it's the current year.

Brutal? Maybe. Raw? Not really.

I'm so sick of everyone being a kung-fu master. It doesn't even make sense, agents, FBI, CIA, Cops from New York, some random teenager and every girl imaginable.

Fuck this shit, just throw some punches like you would in a normal fight.

Choreography is not the same thing as cinematography.
What you're talking about is camerawork (cinematography), what he's talking about it is the movement of the actors (choreography).

I recall Jackie Chan once talking about the difference between working with his HK studio and with an american studio, basically in his HK studio the studio lets him do whatever and funds him, which results in really cool looking stunts coming out just right because he does it over and over and over until it's perfect. Meanwhile his american studio either butchers it in post or doesn't even let him be.

American cinema confirmed inferior to Hong Kong kino?

you're all fucking faggots

yeah pretty much. Though I've heard Hong Kong kung fu movies have gone soft now.

Tony Jaa is fucking great. Too bad he's probably stuck doing Vin Diesel's shitty movies so he can fund the next riddick movie.

Sadly HK cinema isn't what it used to be. After the industry crash in the mid-90s, HK films just haven't been the same and a lot of the stuff they could do and get away with back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s, can't be done today.

Die Hard Official Character Tier List
Hanz "20%" Grueber
Ellis (The) "White Knight"
Sgt. Al "Couldn't Drag Me Away" Powell
Berretta 92 & Bullpup & MP5 Navy

John "Papa Bear" McClane
(You're Alright) Argyle
Dwayne T. "Mayor's going to have my ass" Robinson Fun Fact: He was butt-fucked on national TV.
Richard Thornburg Fun Fact: He deported the maid after he called INS.

Agent Johnson (no relation)
Special Agent Johnson (no relation)
Various terrorists who said nein and wore mullets
Karl "muh brother"
Harvey "Helsinki, Sweden"
Theo Fun Fact: Hans brought him along for his charming personality.

Horny Stewardess
California Couple Fun Fact: When you look at the guy's forearms and the girl's long hair and butt, you will realize you will literally never see a couple like that in California again.
Asian terrorist
Mr. "Has a nice suit" Takagi
That gay looking terrorist posing as a lobby guy

Gennaro, Ms. Gennaro

Lucy McClane

That one cop with a ponytail

How did one 80s movie have so many memorable side characters? In an action movie format at that? If I forget any, I almost apologize.

What the fuck.

Did you forget the Asian terrorist that eats a Crunch?
It's funny because he's an asian and eats rice even in his chocolate bar xD

What about the discount Denzel Washington? And the other black guy the Limo driver? Your list needs some work I'd say.

He appeared in many 80's action flicks as a funny obscure background character. We will never know his name.

That's a really good post

I didn't know there was rice in a crunch bar? I thought it was nuts.

I think we can try to find him on IMDB.

Gentlemen, I present to you THE 80's action icon.
Al Leong. A true hardworking henchman who worked his up from the bottom without a word of complaint.
Observe and marvel at his appearance.
The Scorpion King
That '70s Show
The Others 1999 - 2000
Double Dragon
The Shadow
Hard Hunted
Rapid Fire
Death Warrant
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Cage
Savage Beach
Action Jackson
Die Hard
She's Having A Baby
Lethal Weapon
Endo
Long Hair
Big Trouble in Little China
Wing Kong Hatchet Man
Steel Justice
Hostage
John Carpenter's Ghosts Of Mars
Godzilla 1998
The Replacement Killers
John Carpenter's Escape From L.A.
Double Dragon
Hot Shots! Part Deux
Double Impact
Showdown in Little Tokyo
Why Me?
They Live
The Golden Child
My Science Project
Fever

Tom Rosales is better.

This guy is legit.

woah
now i have to watch it again

I love Die Hard, but I just realized while watching the video that this fight scene is pretty ridiculous. It's raw and brutal, but it doesn't seem like a real fight. I agree with you in general, though, that modern action movies lack something… in 80s action movies there was texture to the scenes, now there's something video gamey about pretty much all action films

So why did you choose that one specifically to shit your pants over?
I don't remember anything pozzed about John Wick.

They're roasted/baked rice, exactly like rice crispies just added to the chocolate. bretty gud imo and thinking back to it that scene of the asian eating it is about the only product placement in a movie I didn't mind.

I really wished he didn't die. How can someone who sneaks a chocolate bar out during a heist be a bad guy?