Ubuntu 16.10 STILL won't use Mir and Unity 8

Ubuntu 16.10 STILL won't use Mir and Unity 8
>omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/05/ubuntu-16-10-unity-8-default-desktop
How much more money is Shuttleworth going to waste on this?
Haven't they learned anything from upstart?

Other urls found in this thread:

freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/InterfacePortabilityAndStabilityChart/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mir is NIH bullshit anyway.

No it isn't bad but it has horrible coders. Kwin is years ahead of the Mir team.

WIDF pls go

wew lad

The shilling is real

I haven't been following Ubuntu much; they're seriously still working on Mir? I had assumed that the reason they haven't been using Mir was that they had completely abandoned it in favor of Wayland.

First of all, bad "coders" make bad code. Secondly,
Normie get the fuck out. You aren't welcome here.

Call me when Wayland doesn't shit itself.

I enabled wayland on Fedora 23 for my Dads PC and I haven't gotten any calls about the display fucking up.

That's because you made him sell the computer and get a win10 pc.

WHO CARES

this is relevant to my interests

what desktop environment can I replace gnome with??

WAYLAND DEFAULT IN FEDORA 32

Wayland works for me under Gnome.
As soon as pointer locking is implemented with XWayland there's no reason not to switch.

Except the maximum 10 xwayland windows, you mean.
Except how wayland breaks every 5 seconds you mean.
Except that only gnome supports it even remotely correctly, you mean.
Except the fact that everything requires systemd to work with wayland, you mean.

wut?
Never run into that limit, fam.
No, it doesn't
I am experiencing a weird bug with GDM that won't let me launch a wayland session, but I think it's some sort of race condition or something preventing it from giving me the wayland option on certain boots, it has nothing to do with wayland itself.
And? What's the problem. Maybe they should've invested in doing the work.
Well that's just plain false.
ROOTLESS WAYLAND requires systemd on Linux for the hand of and file descriptor interface and such for input devices, just like ROOTLESS X.org does.

Fuck off, lennart.

That doesn't make sense, but okay.

You said something about systemd that could be construed as positive. Just ignore those replies.

Poo-in-lootering get out!

Just embrace it. You know you can't escape it.

Never! Not until my precious gentoo is compromised!

Gentoo officially still supports sysvinit, but it already has packages with systemd as a non-optional dependency. It's no better than Debian.

Gentoo uses openrc and has no plans to seize support for non-systemd systems, as well as making non-systemd systems the default and maintaining forked packages which bypass systemd dogshit. It's a billion years ahead of debian.

Shit

Fuck Ubuntu.

Pick one. It is by far the simplest operating system I have ever used. That doesn't mean it's easy, but it is simple. Everything is clearly laid out, and it makes doing anything a breeze.

Shit.

can't argue with that. slackware confirmed for shit.

To be fair, upstart was so bad it's what forced Poettering to make systemd.

Maybe when Mir's finally complete, it'll be so bad that Lennart will incorporate a display server and compositor in systemd. Oh, what the hell am I thinking, by the time Mir's complete systemd will not only have a display server and compositor, but also a window manager, full DE, digital art suite, word processor, and video game engine.

You're being sarcastic but that's totally out of scope, systemd has small daemons for bare bones containers.
Honestly, I could link to dozens of upstart bugs that are fundamental architectural issues that affect basic functionality and prevent basic upstart job files from running but there's no such architectural issues in systemd.
That's not to say that it's bug free of course.

Also now that Ubuntu phone has flopped, they don't even have the original non-excuse for Mir. I can't wait.

I can't wait for them to end up using xdg-app too.

KEK

freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/InterfacePortabilityAndStabilityChart/

What does that have to do with what he posted?

Jej

The gnome version isn't bad. Especially since they're using Gnome software now instead of the crap that was software center.

Kubuntu 16.04 seemed to turn out alright.

Did they remove the fucking cashew?

Cashew?

the fucking plasma menu in the corner

No. I chose to hide it, because I never use it.

does anyone ever use that thing?

Who even uses unity? Fuck all unity and gnome garbage stay away from my pc

If you hate it that much then just use xrandr to define a virtual desktop size larger than your screen to crop it off :^)

there are much better ways to remove cashew

Someone's a '90s kid.

You know, it sounds more and more like SystemD is it's own OS.

Maybe if you have a mental illness it does

Not really.

That's because it is.

Found the asspie

OK lennart

No, this is just a dumb discussion and it doesn't deserve to bump the thread.
Feel free to go back to 4chan, where they've eliminated display of sage so as to not challenge your autism.

Stay mad.

Should I get xubuntu or mint? I just got a t60 today for eighty bucks

Gentoo

God damnit

Xubuntu. Just came off of Mint and I think it performs better. Just me though :)

They're practically the same thing. Xubuntu is just Ubuntu with a different DE. Mint is just Ubuntu for people too retarded to use Ubuntu; and considering that Ubuntu is designed for people who struggle with anything more complicated than an iPad or Android tablet, the bar for Mint is set pretty low.

Xubuntu at least do some shit upstream and the default setup is neat.

Trying to download xubuntu iso right now. I had Ubuntu before and liked it. I got a mint iso but for whatever reason I can't boot it off the usb. I might have missed a step or something. Oh well. Fuck puppy slacko so much it's revolting. But it do fucking work

It's the Trumpcuck school of making things great again.

Yeah, maybe on linux mint.

if it's your first distro go for xubuntu. if you're seriously still running a t60 you're going to want to learn to pare down xubuntu or build up an openbox/whatever minimal system.

a good place to start is figuring out how to stop the daemons you don't need and going on from there.

>>>/reddit/

I fixed this by the way.
[daemon]WaylandEnable=true
Under /etc/gdm/custom.conf

Weird that I had to force the wayland gdm session, as it has been working right for months before. My problem was that occasionally it would not start GDM with a wayland session, and turning on debugging showed no clues.