Windows 7 bricks computers

cnet.com/news/microsoft-software-update-breaks-windows-7-for-some-users/
So basically: Microsoft can't into bugtesting, release an update, motherboards with some forms of secureboot think it's not a genuine OS, and blocks bootup.

Is it just me or is it every other week now that we're hearing stuff like this, how long until normies stop using it out of frustration?

Other urls found in this thread:

semiaccurate.com/2012/11/27/microsofts-problems-another-data-point/
archive.is/gwYvn
techrights.org/2015/12/19/trojans-for-android-phones/
techrights.org/2015/07/06/microsoft-vs-kyocera-android/
techrights.org/2015/05/27/putting-microsoft-inside-android/
techrights.org/2015/02/14/patent-blackmail-tactic/
techrights.org/2015/03/21/patent-lawsuits-not-love/
techrights.org/2016/02/10/extorting-acer-with-patents/
techrights.org/2016/04/22/more-layoffs-at-microsoft-2016/
my.mixtape.moe/sawxtt.mp4
archive.is/Bm8lR
s32.postimg.org/5wcusjx51/blah_blah_im_a_faggot_blah_blah.jpg
infoworld.com/article/3043526/microsoft-windows/microsoft-upgraded-users-to-windows-10-without-their-ok.html
computerworld.com/article/3030564/microsoft-windows/microsoft-uses-the-force-you-will-upgrade-to-windows-10.html
computerworld.com/article/3070460/windows-pcs/microsoft-makes-final-aggressive-windows-10-upgrade-push.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're tanking 7 on purpose because nobody fell for the "free" windows 10 update meme, even despite the fact they sent everyone a trojan through windows update to force them into windows 10 without consent or input.

This. Now would be a great time to get a rescue Linux stick or fallback partition if you don't already dualboot. The Win10Borg will come for you next.

They're switching to other computing devices instead. One that MS isn't involved with whatsoever.

semiaccurate.com/2012/11/27/microsofts-problems-another-data-point/

I figured that they'd do this with uefi secureboot eventually, they're sick of competing with previous versions of windows. Of course saying as much would get you labelled as a conspiracy theorist only a few months ago, it still might depending on how hard this spun as an unfortunate accident.

If you're gonna edit an article, at least spell toilet properly.

This is on purpose. Microsoft may not be the evil empire anymore, but only because they lack the empire part of that title.

never. they don't even conceive the idea of using something else. in addition, their Stockholm syndrome is stronger than the frustration

another article on this

archive.is/gwYvn

Windows users getting R-A-P-E-D

or so you think
techrights.org/2015/12/19/trojans-for-android-phones/
techrights.org/2015/07/06/microsoft-vs-kyocera-android/
techrights.org/2015/05/27/putting-microsoft-inside-android/
techrights.org/2015/02/14/patent-blackmail-tactic/
techrights.org/2015/03/21/patent-lawsuits-not-love/
techrights.org/2016/02/10/extorting-acer-with-patents/
techrights.org/2016/04/22/more-layoffs-at-microsoft-2016/

>Needless to say, conspiracy theorists will have a ball seeing it as yet another new way Microsoft can push users to Windows 10.

It was caused by an update that both MS and Asus knew would destroy some installations yet they made it a recommended update anyways. They then used this occasion to push Windows 10 as a solution. This isn't the case of delusional people seeing schemes where they don't exist, it's guaranteed that this will happen again and again unless there's customer backlash.

To the average consumer at least. Their patent trolling is why I'm not interested in an Android phone unless it's made by a Chinese manufacturer who doesn't have to pay licensing fees to Microsoft.

back to plebbit with you

You know, I know this is just shitposting but it's so low quality. A shitpost should at least make you smile a little, but this is just... bad.

Good for you

That's the gold standard for easily farmable worthless internet points on reddit these days. Normieposting.

Fucking faggots ruined a talk radio station I used to listen to by somehow getting the station to overwrite the ads in the online version with their "news" stories and now they're doing this bullshit "infinite loading" weeb 2.0 design?

It's not bricked if you can still use it, you dumb fucking nigger.

Load linux and reinstall Windows. You're done.

yeah load linux which will actually brick your motherboard for good

great plan

this is going to work

ayy

?????????

am I on /g/

You can.
I installed Fedora that way just yesterday.

Samefag

This shit happened to my brothers computer and I almost bought him a new one until I remember this /tech thread and just did a rollback. Thanks /tech!

Never, because:

1. As far as normies are aware, nothing else exists. The only other operating systems are Mac OSX and that scary hacker linux they saw on CSI:cyber, and normies don't feel like shelling out their wallets for a $4,000.00 facebook machine, unless they're starcucks hipsters.

2. Microsoft's marketing campaigns, as well as their restrictive liscences with DirectX have basically cucked developers into only ever releasing their products for Windows, maybe sometimes a shitty port/wrapper for the mac. So nomries will continue to beg to be fisted by Microsoft so long as they get their precious gaymen.

Low energy clickbait title. 0/10 bait OP, try again.

Windows 7 does not brick computers any more than gentoo does. It's a shitty update almost certainly purposely done to push people to NSAdows10.

Decidedly untrue. They know it exists, they have no reason to switch to something inferior.

Untrue. They don't know about anything else. These are people who's worlds revolve around facebook.

I'm sure you have vast experience with what other people know there in your NEET hut basement.

Careful not to project too much, shill-kun.

We must make Facebook accounts and spread the great news of linux. Beta uprising when?

We need to learn to use Facebook memes to do that

kill yourself horsefucker

I had a fantastic experience with my wangblows 7 install today.

To my knowledge, when I installed a pirated :^) SP1 Windows 7 Ultimate iso when I built my current desktop in november '14, I disabled windows updates and all services.

So to my utter shock and horror, I wake up this morning and find out that not only has my computer been restarted without my knowledge but about 30-odd updates were also shoved on there.

AT 3AM

Now, I had system restores out the ass, and a weekly backup which last ran on the 1st of may. So it was no problem, right? I could just undo what microcuck did then purge the windows updates from existence.

Wrong.

I ran the system restore which had been taken immediately before the updates installed (conveniently named something to the tune of "Windows Updates" by the fucking update system). I restart and I get to my boot animation. Bluescreen. There isn't even a chance in hell I could read the bluescreen message since it appeared for a second then the computer restarted.

There was no fancy red box like in the articles linked. No message helpfully telling me to fix my secure boot. None of that. I shove an iso of windows onto a flash drive and boot from that intending to use the repair tools to either perform a system restore to further back or in the worst case to run the backup and go back in time to May 1.

Neither the system restore nor the backup restore tools could find the OS.

I have exams in a week from now, so after they're done the first thing I'm going to do is move all my files from my ssd and slap arch into that faster than you can call bill gates a cuck. More likely Manjaro but still.

I've known micro$oft was fucking worthless for years but this has finally given me the kick in the teeth I needed to switch. I'm not looking back.

When you disabled Update did you select "Warn me but don't download or install"? Because it installs "security" updates anyway, and some of them turn Windows Update back to automatic. Happened to me as well.

It was a fresh SP1 wangblows install, I turned everything off, including the services related to the update function and set those to never turn on.

I have no idea how they installed or what changed because as far as I'm aware I didn't do shit.

Don't. I've used Manjaro for a long time, and I can guarantee you, it is awful. The developers are massively incompetent, and you often need to wait a fucking month before you get vital and urgent security patches. Manjaro likes to pretend to be "Arch But Stable", when it's really just "Arch By Retards, For Retards". If you want something like Arch, but easier or more idiot friendly, try Antergos. Or, just follow a guide on installing Arch; if you can read instructions, it's actually very simple.

I only said manjaro because it's what I currently have on my laptop (and what I'm posting with now). I've used it for about a year and I'm getting pretty comfortable with it, which is why I mentioned it. In all likelihood I will try and bash my head against the arch proper install. Thanks user.

Then your secure boot has a gaping security hole.

link to iso ? do u still have? I would like to go thru installing it, disabling what you did, and monitoring what happens.. This must be documented Daniel son

Also in "things that never happened" my computer raped my yesterday!

BREAK THE COMPATRIARCHY! TABLET UPRISING NOW!

I don't get anything from lying about this on the internet. Regardless, see linked mp4:

my.mixtape.moe/sawxtt.mp4

I'm fairly sure it was the highest seeded .iso when you search for "windows 7" on IPT

Facebook memes are just regular memes from 2-3 years ago. "Sadfrog" was being used last year prominently.

Archived version of OP's article.
archive.is/Bm8lR

Sounds legit.

This mp4 is not loading on my slow dial up connection.
wat is video about?

I just recorded my computer booting up to prove it wasn't horseshit (as the previous user said).

It goes
- ASUS logo (motherboard)
- "Windows failed to start" screen, giving me the choice between "launch startup repair" and "start windows normally". I select the latter
- a (default? not the one I remember setting) boot animation for ~3 seconds
- bluescreen for 1 second (literally just flashes and then gone
- computer boots up again from the beginning

MS has gotten so bad lately, that I've had people come up to me and ask me how they can "get that linux thing".

Lucky. Hopefully you don't lead them to a meme os.

I run xubuntu 14.04
How does that make you feel?

Yeah, no.

Oh, and FYI, you get to act like a smug faggot and pretend that Windows 7 is some devil machine. Because like all stallman faggots you have no real reason to hate anything other than Windows 10 so you'll manufacture a reason to not only feel superior to those who use Windows 7, but attempt to use it later to scare less tech literate anons into moving to Linux.

I'm all for Linux but this shady back-alley shit really pisses me off.

I said before I have nothing to gain from lying. I've been using microsoft since I was a little kid on wangblows 95, through XP and then 7. I would have happily continued to use it for many more years had this not happened.

I want to be on your side, user. I really do. But how do you explain ~30 windows updates being installed at 3am without my permission or approval, and then a reboot, again at 3am, when the update services were disabled months and months ago?

From what I remember, if I wanted to install updates on 7, I'd install and then get a popup telling me to restart now or do it later. The computer wouldn't magically reboot without your approval, unlike the webms I've seen of 10 god help those poor bastards.

I'm no stallman faggot and I use closed source software a fair amount.

I loved windows 7.

I'm relegated to using my manjaro laptop until I get around to installing linux on my desktop. You think I'm some elitist nerd who wants to laugh at plebeian anons using windows? Shit, son, I spent the last few hours running around in circles through the arch wiki trying to get an ethernet cable connection to work from my laptop which worked out the box half a year ago.

I'm probably just as tech-illiterate as the average tech-illiterate Holla Forums user. I study engineering, not computer science. I know vidya and CAD, not emacs and kernels. If you asked me to work some wizardry with C++ or haskell I'd look at you as blankly as a first grader staring at differential equations. The most I can code is some hacked-together LaTeX.

I didn't even realize I had this rant in me. I guess I don't enjoy being called a liar when I'm relaying god's honest truth, or at least what I saw happen to my computer.

I can appreciate you being so skeptical though, user. I can certainly see how you'd be so, especially since I have no other proof right now but the .mp4.

I explain it that you're less technologically proficient than you're making yourself out to be. You forgot something and now it's Windows fault. Until proven otherwise it's all baseless claims on the internet.

see:

That's debatable.

On the one hand you say you love Windows 7 on the other hand you make a bunch of baseless claims on the internet. Why should anyone believe you? Because you said so?

Even if you weren't a stallmanite you can still adhere to their philosophies and could be doing it for the same basic reasoning.

I have the Windows Update service enabled all the time. Nothing has happened to me. I disable it when I'm not updating. I've never had updates foisted onto me. I even own a legitimate copy of Windows 7. So if it'd happen to anyone it'd be someone like me. Yet, nothing. Not a thing has ever happened to me with updates installing themselves. Because I did everything right.

If you don't believe me, here is my services window. With Windows Update turned off. As you can see, my computer hasn't mutated into a monster bent on eating my files and shitting out Windows 10
>s32.postimg.org/5wcusjx51/blah_blah_im_a_faggot_blah_blah.jpg

I think you're also completely tech illiterate. This disproves nothing I believe or said.

Probably.

I didn't study computer science either. I'm not some wizard with the console or command line either. Somehow I still know how to maintain a functioning computer. Imagine that. With a little research and not being retarded the world is a much safer place!

Indeed. Then you'd understand that I'm not just skeptical. I don't believe a word you're saying.

Why in the fuck are you two arguing about who loves NSA/Windows cock the most? Neither of you should be using that shit, the fuck are you thinking?

W8 masterrace here

Suck it W7 plebes

Windows cannot install updates without your approval if you completely turn that shit off with SP1.

You fucked up. I dual boot on my rig with SP1 and it's never updated.

I mainly use *Mint* but also 7. I do Wangdoze installations everyday at work, along with -buntu and Mint installations. 7 won't do that. Sorry, but again you fucked up.

It's a ecological article you shitlord, what are you a racist?

That's not what I'm arguing user. Instead of just screaming "NSA" maybe try reading our posts next time.

it's fucking nothing

I was almost baited, using bait meme as bait is pretty good.
Oh no

Microsoft would never force update your system even when u have updates disabled

Oooh wait....

infoworld.com/article/3043526/microsoft-windows/microsoft-upgraded-users-to-windows-10-without-their-ok.html
computerworld.com/article/3030564/microsoft-windows/microsoft-uses-the-force-you-will-upgrade-to-windows-10.html

My win 7 ultimate which i bought for a OEM license for 120 euro was forced to upgrade while i stood there with my dick in my hand looking at the screen thinking this is some major bullshit. I could not cancel the process and would have lost a lot of data if i did not comply. Even yanked the power out of my pc and reboot but nope. UWILLUPGRADE.JPG My gaming computer got rekked and i had to load a 2 month old backup to reinstall my win 7 version after i secured all my data.

Microsoft probably saw that when they did this to their users most of them just removed win10 again, knowing it was hopeless. That's why they went into major damage control and backpedaling.

Even if you had updates disabled, if your computer was online during a certain time frame in january/february, the win10 bullshit got loaded onto every older windows OS and had registry and software changes made to them. It's part of the extended snooping NSA kit.

First link is some autistic fuck talking about how he did all the right things and optional updates (while leaving all the settings at recommended, surprise surprise.

Second link is more autistic rants about how the Windows 10 update is recommended and not optional. Something Microsoft even admitted to doing. So it's not as if it's any secret.

Good for you. Obviously you don't know how to run a computer properly. If after being on Holla Forums you cannot keep the Windows 10 botnet off your computer you should throw it away.

Yeah. Imagine that. Once an update has started to modify the system the system cannot be hard-reset.

I'm not too surprised you were using Windows in the first place to be honest.

Really? Because my computer runs pretty much perpetually due to all the shit I have it do automatically. This never happened to me. :^)

ok

you're still using botnet

It's to get those that didn't get w10 for "free".
Making W7 and 8 as unusable as possible without gaining to much attention and in time people get so fucking frustated that they'll change their OS with no questions asked.

But user, facts are triggering!

why would anyone be using win7 in 2016 when they can upgrade to win10 for free? it's their own fault.

inb4 le spyware tinfoil fedora meemees

But user, facts are triggering!

Piece of shit website POST

Kek

Nigger read this and tell me they're not trying to forcibly install Windows 10:

Microsoft makes final, aggressive Windows 10 upgrade push

computerworld.com/article/3070460/windows-pcs/microsoft-makes-final-aggressive-windows-10-upgrade-push.html

Last week, Microsoft switched the automatically-offered Windows 10 upgrade to a "Recommended" download that in turn scheduled the upgrade process unless the user interfered.

"As we shared in October, Windows 10 will be offered as a 'Recommended' update for Windows 7 and 8.1 customers whose Windows Update settings are configured to accept 'Recommended' updates," a Microsoft spokesman said Friday in an email reply to questions.

Those questions were spurred by reports from Computerworld readers, who said that they'd again been offered an upgrade after months of either ignoring the campaign or dodging the transmutation of their PCs from Windows 7 or 8.1 to 10.

(...)

In Windows Update, a Recommended update is one that is automatically downloaded and installed -- no user assistance required -- on PCs whose owners have not changed the default behavior of the service.

(...)

According to both the latest and the previous versions of the support document, the upgrade and its scheduled implementation is approved when the user either clicks the "OK" button or the "X" in the upper right corner of the notification.

"If you click on OK or on the red 'X', you're all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do," the document stated. The "X" Microsoft mentioned is one way to close a window in Windows.

But Microsoft's interpretation of clicking the X is contrary to decades of practice in windowed user interfaces (UIs) and normal user expectations: To users, shutting a window by clicking the X tells the OS to remove the notification or application frame without expressing an opinion, selecting an option or calling up an operation. Instead, Microsoft equates closing the window with approving the scheduled upgrade.

Microsoft has applied some unusual stratagems in its efforts to get customers to upgrade to Windows 10, but this behavior is among its most aggressive simply because it is deceptive in the context of normal Windows UI behavior.

(...)

OP is a huge faggot, im using here seven 64 pro whit disabled updates and all that shit, never had a single problem whit it.

Jesus fucking Christ. Of course they are, but it's very easy to avoid. You're creating your own conversation where I'm totally for Windows 10 or something and it's simply not true.

In other words, stop being retarded.