Photos of real keys can be easily copied

Reporters don't get it
observer.com/2016/05/copying-keys-from-photos/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Q7G3kKRdUl4?t=1743
youtube.com/watch?v=1Uh_N1O3E4E
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Metal keys will be the next common place technology replaced, calling it now.

You're late. People have been experimenting with implants as replacements for keys for a while now.

What would you replace them with? Electronic locks are less secure than physical keys in many ways. Mainly that they're dependent on electricity.

reporters these days are just failed bloggers and underachieving internet marketers. The relation to investigation and intelligence has withered. Takes too much time. The bright side is I think a whole staff of writers will be replaced by more advanced A.I. article generators soon. Maybe it's already happened.

Security isn't always the primary goal. Hotels switched to electronic systems because they offer many business advantages. If guests have their cards copied or get locked out because of a dead battery? That's tough for them. Give them a free robe or whatever if they bitch. The key issue is just like credit cards. Not secure, but usually great for business.

Ok, how will you open a door with electronic lock? Let's assume that it's using RFID-like system with RSA-2048 encryption.

how indeed, user

that's actually for you to explain, especially if there's a pole knocked over down the street and they had to turn it off. but you need whatever is in there right now, so tell us, how does user open the door whose default is to be locked without a power connection?

By using built-in high-power lipo batteries :^)

You open the debug port on the bottom of the door handle. Those things accept any unsigned firmware you give it. Then put it in test mode and open the lock. People do shit like that at defcon every year.

Didn't know that commercial locks are this shitty, thanks.

>not putting an incendiary grenade inside of a door
It's like you want your shit to get stolen.

seems like a horrible idea

By scanning their RFID. Use your brain. Either you move a scanner close to the owner or plant one near the door. Then just make a duplicate. RFID is so shit, it's only in passports so they can monitor immigrants as they move around the airport.

That's if packets aren't encrypted. Re-read my post please.

You can't just record the response of an RFID tag and play it back near the lock, they will use some sort of rolling key or give a different response depending on the message received from the lock. It's the same sort of reason why people can't just record the message for your car alarm or garage door opener. Though RFID tags have 2-way communication rather than 1-way so they can use much more secure methods such as encryption.

replay attack, break it down, shim it (maybe?), tailgate, social engineer, etc etc

I'm fucking triggered man. I used to work at a hotel. Pleasing guests is not so easy.

God I fucking hated the guests. It would have been a great job if it weren't for all the guests.

Do you have any idea what even one of those things mean?

Like this?
youtu.be/Q7G3kKRdUl4?t=1743

You've completely missed my point. Of-fucking-course anyone can steal plain RFID data. But what if electronic lock uses strong encryption like RSA?

Elaborate.
You can't just say 'No, it has encryption!'.
jesus

It's okay, man. I'm sure it wasn't easy. I've had a few service jobs and it is awful sometimes. But for the suits who decide what lock to use, it doesn't matter if your stress level goes up. You are a human shock absorber to them. card systems are better for business.

It is
ALREADY HAPPENING
Look at vehicles. How many of them made in this decade still have keys instead of meme-fobs, press-start buttons?

A personal RFID chip just for you. We even implant it in your wrist goyim! How convenient! It even lets us track your every move!

Not putting my case one way or another just lending general knowledge that modern electronic door systems run on electric strike, and not like mag locks which require power constantly to stay locked. Electric strikes only require a small amount of power to unlock the bolt.

A hacker can open any lock with the right tools and knowledge, no matter the type. As a practicing security expert I push (still) both hard key and electric strike depending on the use case

Rfid tags can store information, and yes it can be encrypted. For the purpose of a key card it doesn't matter how encrypted the data on rfid is. I can copy the encrypted data, and put it on my own rfid card. I don't care what the encrypted info is, I care that it can (and will) open your door.

Do you all live in the ghetto or something?

I think this is relevant, They pretty much just have a ton of keys and use them on elevators.
youtube.com/watch?v=1Uh_N1O3E4E

You can fashion shitty lockpicks out of paper clips. Snap it into two, use one end as the wrench, the other as the pick.
On another note, Microsoft should start making electronic locks for windows. With windows 10 installed you can shitpost while artfully looking at windows.

Do any thing the other anons said.
Cut the phone line.
Screwdriver and drone. If that fails
Sledgehammer.
If still, Apply explosives.

Live in Illinois, Haven't seen them in City, Country, or Suburb.

Lol I didn't expect to be taken so seriously.

Anyway, a lot of the nicer hotels are moving from the magstripe cards to RFID cards.

Your average key fob or card has virtually no computational power, you won't get any decent security out of that. Additionally, readers vary in quality, it's possible that you could subvert them with a malformed card.

Finally you have to consider the security of the hardware. In video related for example the RFID security is irrelevant.

Done, give me a billion dollars.

reciprocating saw or a estwing hammer.

billion dollarydoos please

It's not meant to be secure from someone happy to break it open and let you know they broke it.