Piracy destroys industries

the music industry became shit the moment piracy became easy as fuck

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/04/15/game-of-thrones-sets-piracy-world-record-but-does-hbo-care/#588b17bf7198
torrentfreak.com/piracy-doesnt-hurt-game-of-thrones-director-says-130227/
torrentfreak.com/piracy-isnt-hurting-the-entertainment-industry-121003/
ibtimes.com/online-piracy-does-not-negatively-affect-digital-music-sales-may-actually-help-music-industry
techpolicyinstitute.org/2016/02/02/the-truth-about-piracy/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

wut

not an argument

nice mental gymnastics you got there bud

not an argument

the burden of proof's on you

not an argument.

cognitive dissonance

not an argument

keep parroting the same bullshit

I'm sorry, but your post is still not an argument.

Nah. The music industry was dead when they stopped finding ways to market talented people that they discovered and started trying to pass marketable (read pretty) people as talented. Piracy just fiddled with how revenue streams had to be set up, but it isn't a death blow.

A few years ago HBO said they didn't mind piracy and people sharing HBO go accounts for GoT because it ended up bringing in more subscribers in the long run.

I don't know if you're trying to agree with me, disagree with me, or just adding a factual tidbit.

The reason only "pretty" people can be stars now is because you can't make money from music anymore. All that matters is fame since good artists can't make money anymore. The only way they can make money is from concerts and their pretty faces since no one actually cares about the shit music.

Even if this did happen, it just grew because things grow over time since the population increases. Luckily, piracy for movies isn't as high as piracy for music.

Both. I'm sure certain artists and products get hit hard in sales, but it also increases exposure to those willing to pay.

Many have said for years pirating is like a preview, and if they like it they will buy a copy. I'm sure most who say this are just lying, but some do.

If you think this is human nature, then you probably think communism is too

OP said industries, then gave music as an example. Yes, GoT is another medium, but is extremely popular and generally regarded as at least decent quality, for the first few seasons.
forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/04/15/game-of-thrones-sets-piracy-world-record-but-does-hbo-care/#588b17bf7198
torrentfreak.com/piracy-doesnt-hurt-game-of-thrones-director-says-130227/

I'm very sure most are lying, but some, with money to burn, do.

I'm sure hes very trustworthy and not trying to just destroy opponents :^)

And every redditor that watches it doesn't pirate it

not an argument

this image would actually make sense if it was saying you're "being a communist"

Neither is that a counter arguement. Got any sources?
torrentfreak.com/piracy-isnt-hurting-the-entertainment-industry-121003/
ibtimes.com/online-piracy-does-not-negatively-affect-digital-music-sales-may-actually-help-music-industry

Here's another source that says it usually hurts, but not always.
techpolicyinstitute.org/2016/02/02/the-truth-about-piracy/

There seems to be a lot of contradictory studies, and no true consensus.

If you want to discuss whether or not quality is shit in regards to the past, that's pretty subjective and I'd need specific examples of good stuff from then vs shit stuff from now. But "everything sucks now" is a shit "argument" and a boring opinion.

puking links and avatarfagging is not an argument

If you're so triggered by objectivism, just replace the word with "cancer", I'm sure its more fitting for a nihilistic imageboard user such as yourself

I'll go ahead and throw my hat into the ring, with the precaution that I'm not claiming to be an expert on this.

I don't think piracy hurts music in the way this thread is saying it does. The reason that all the popular stuff is sheer shit nowadays is simple: children. Children are the ones with all the free time in the world, tech savvy enough to use a computer (and online store), have no fiscal responsibility, and are very easily suggestible.

That's why you get people like Lady Gaga or even Katy Perry. The music industry wants you to believe that their odd plays for attention or sexuality is what's being used to sell music, but I think they're just distractions. The real target market has been kids.

That's how I see it anyways.

Not really. By not paying for intellectual property you are damaging the free market, capitalism.

children have always had freetime

Children were always targeted by some propaganda. I'm just confused about message of propaganda today.

Yeah in the past kids have to actually ask their parents for cash to buy a CD since they couldn't use credit cards which meant that the parents would see/check was the CD was about and sometimes deny it to the kid

Nowadays parents just throw a tablet or phone to the kids with essentially a credit card built-in to buy anything from app stores, which means the kids are completely unsupervised most of the time

It makes total sense for a bunch of hacks on a powertrip that make money by leeching off talented people (THE MUSIC INDUSTRY) to try to appeal to kids now since kids have no experience and therefore no taste and will buy any shit songs as long as the plastic replaceable singer appeals to them

You have lady gaga for the gay-ish kids and then katy perry for the ones who want tits

Yes but there hasn't always been easy ways to market to them. Now they have web browsers in their pocket 24/7

I'm not saying that any of this is new, but the degree increased a lot.

I mean think about it. Before the internet how did you advertise to kids? Ads during cartoons, that's it. Now they have an entire app store based on the model of having free apps that ship with ads.

Kids have always been easy targets, but nowadays they're also almost the easiest to reach too.

Exactly, and just think about how easy it is to buy music now. There's no deliberation of having to go out to the store (which requires parents, as you said) and buy the whole CD. Now they can buy whatever songs they like with a simple press, and I would wager that only having to throw $1 away instead of buying the whole CD takes even less deliberation.

I forgot to mention, that's also why they go for "pop". It's kind of genius because the music is mixed in such a masterful way to play to the palette of the lowest common denominator, people don't care if the music is shit. And kids don't even realize it.

Not just that but genX parents are the biggest push-arounds ever, these fucking idiots can't tell a kid to shut it and stop asking for dumb shit, unsurprisingly they are also the same retards pushing for all that dumb shit you see in education these days

The $1/song model apple invented was a 1000x worst than piracy. Before that music companies could sell you a CD that one maybe two good songs or the one single that was trendy at the time, for $20

Back then you were paying $20 for a song, and then comes cancer jobs and makes it $1. Piracy was never as big of a problem as those old fuckers in the music biz said, most of them didn't even know what the internet was I shit you not

But the $1/song killed their revenue, and because it was legal it became the norm

OP IS………….RIGHT

I don't really understand the reasoning behind it. How would being able to get the product for free make the quality decline?

Besides, pirating may be easy, but using iTunes is still way, way easier. And most people are very, very reluctant to learn anything new technically.

1440 - Printing press invented, monks complained it would destroy handwritten book industry
1900 - Player piano invented, musicians feared it would destroy live music industry
1959 - Xerographic machine invented, companies feared it would destroy book industry
1962- Cassette tape invented, companies feared it would destroy record industry
1972 - VCR invented, many feared it would destroy movie industry
1993 - Recordable CD invented, many feared it would destroy music industry
1994 - Web browser invented, many feared it would destroy traditional CD computing industry

The idea here is that if no one pays for something, then there is no demand to make it better. Producers will be content with the tasteless retards that don't know how to pirate shit, since non-normalfags aren't "voting with their wallet". The thing is, music has always been shit because normalfags have shit taste and OP is retarded.

stop with this tired meme and remember to sage

Good.

most of those complaints were true though.

So, when did that happen?

You are now aware that the genres that existed right as pirating came out included

Seems like shit was already fucked.

Nah, there used to be a time when musicians actually wanted to make good music and people respected them for that, but these days kids literally don't know what being a "sellout" means and actually believe that if a band isn't sponsored by some corporation and has a logo stuck up their asses then they must be a shitty band because these days every band are sellouts so its the new normal, and nobody cares if you music is good or original but how fucking trendy it is on spotify

The problem is that there are no standards.
Schools don't have a class called "Band theory" or "Pop music ethics". Parents don't care. The music industry is free to exploit and create stupidity.

e.g. they promoted Rap because people who can actually sing are rare.

not an argument

industries die. that's what happens sometimes.

I'm not gonna shed a tear for the carriage industry that was destroyed by the invention of the car

They did (and some still do) have standards, the problem is the industry and marketing, its just much easier to make money churning shit as fast as possible then marketing the fuck out of it

Is the same with vidya and movies now

ye

Hello comrades Anonymous

pick one

It became shit in the 60s with the last gasps of human creativity making their way in the spotlight shortly after.
It was not piracy that ruined music, it was over simplification and application of modern ideals and morality to it.

Communism failed

no it didn't. real communism hasn't been tried yet

Of course.

The message is kill your parents and watch anime

the message is be a cuck for Jamal and Moishe and let in more refugees, you racist bigot!

Never ever, for real? Tell me more about why a system that supposes a group of uneducated idiots who make up less than 10% of the population, can not only gain the power to create a dictatorship, and then give up that power reliably after having created a communist utopia. Not to mention the other ridiculous assumptions marx makes regarding economy, natural resources, money, and social behavior. Only a fucking retard would think communism could ever work. For your information though, 'real communism' is practiced every day, in africa, because its stupid shit for niggers who can't create a proper civil system and have to do all they can just to survive.

Shhh, just let him be.
Arguing with dumb people is like administering medicine to the dead. He might also be baiting.
Don't fall for it

the music indostry became shit the moment it started pandering to normies
nice bait you raging faggot