‘Never forget,’ the world said of the Holocaust. But the world is forgetting

‘Never forget,’ the world said of the Holocaust. But the world is forgetting

Long before the Holocaust had run its course, there was already a desperate urge to keep it from being forgotten. In hiding and on the run, amid the shadows of gas chambers and the smoke of crematoria, Jews frantically sought ways to bear witness to the enormities of the Nazis. Surrounded by horror, anticipating their own deaths, they appealed to the future: Remember.

In his Nobel Prize lecture in 1986, Elie Wiesel recalled the eminent historian Simon Dubnow, who over and over implored his fellow inhabitants in the Riga ghetto: “Yiddin, schreibt un farschreibt” — “Jews, write it all down.”

Many felt an overpowering need to preserve the truth. “Countless victims became chroniclers and historians in the ghettos, even in the death camps,” said Wiesel. “[They] left behind extraordinary documents. To testify became an obsession. They left us poems and letters, diaries and fragments of novels, some known throughout the world, others still unpublished.” And when the war was over and the mind-boggling scope of the Final Solution was fully grasped — the Germans and their collaborators had annihilated 6 million Jews from every corner of Europe, wiping out more than one-third of the world’s Jewish population — the moral imperative to remember grew even more intense.

Judaism has always attached intense significance to remembrance; in multiple passages the Hebrew Bible even makes it an explicit religious obligation. Not surprisingly, Israel’s parliament long ago added Yom Hashoah, or Holocaust Remembrance Day, to the Jewish calendar each spring. (It begins this year on Wednesday evening.) For many Holocaust survivors and their children, “Never Forget” understandably became almost an 11th Commandment.

But a commitment to remembrance spread far beyond the community of those most affected by the Nazis’ industrial-scale campaign to eradicate the Jews. In recent decades, Holocaust commemoration, particularly in the West, became a widespread cultural phenomenon. Countless books, lectures, and documentaries have been devoted to the topic. Academia is replete with Holocaust studies programs. On big and small screen alike, movies and miniseries on Holocaust themes have been runaway successes. Online resources for learning about the Holocaust are almost too numerous to count. And Holocaust memorials and museums have been erected in cities large and small, on every continent except Antarctica.

The Nazis’ extermination of European Jewry, an evil so unprecedented that the word “genocide” had to be coined to describe it, is among the most exhaustively researched, documented, and memorialized crimes of the 20th century. The powerful Nazi leader Heinrich Himmler, who in 1943 characterized the wholesale murder of the Jews, by then well underway, as “a glorious page in our history that . . . shall never be written,” was wrong. The history was written. Its remembrance is sustained by an ocean of scholarship, testimony, literature, and education. The last living survivors of the Holocaust are now mostly in their 80s or 90s. In a few years almost no one will be left to speak from personal experience of what it meant to be engulfed in the singular horror of the Shoah.

Other urls found in this thread:

bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/04/30/never-forget-world-said-holocaust-but-world-forgetting/59cUqLNFxylkW7BDuRPgNK/story.html
archive.is/0CcY8
archive.is/oIlqm
taipeitimes.com/News/local/archives/1999/11/23/11877
youtube.com/watch?v=xNRBajLM8_4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Kokhba_revolt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betar_(fortress)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gematria
books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Auschwitz,global warming,climate change,holocaust&year_start=1900&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=1&share=&direct_url=t1;,Auschwitz;,c0;.t1;,global warming;,c0;.t1;,climate change;,c0;.t1;,holocaust;,c0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

But the survivors have at least this reassurance: What happened to them will not be forgotten.

Or will it?

The events of the Holocaust have haunted me for as long as I can remember. My father, who was born in a tiny village on the Czechoslovak-Hungarian border in 1925, is a survivor of Hitler’s destruction. With his parents and four of his brothers and sisters, he was seized by the Nazis in the spring of 1944, imprisoned in a crowded ghetto, and then, after six weeks, herded into a cattle car to be transported to Auschwitz. Of the seven members of his immediate family who entered the death camp, six were murdered. Only my father escaped death.

For me, the Holocaust has always been intensely personal. It may have ended a decade and a half before I was born, but I have always understood that I was intended for obliteration too. In a Reichstag address in 1939, Hitler had vowed to achieve “the annihilation [Vernichtung] of the Jewish race in Europe.” The essence of the Final Solution is that it was to be final. No Jews were to survive — above all, no Jewish children through whom 3,000 years of Jewish existence might continue. It was to that end that Germany constructed such a vast continent-wide operation and committed such immense financial resources: to track down and murder every last Jew in Europe.

Never before had a world power, deranged by anti-Semitism, made the eradication of an entire people its central aim, or gone to such exhaustive extremes to achieve it. That is what makes the Holocaust so grotesquely, terrifyingly unique. The unexampled virulence of anti-Semitism, a hatred older than and different from any other in human history, is at the heart of what the Holocaust is about — that, and the role of the Jews as the canary in the mine of civilization. When a society fills with toxic moral fumes, Jews become the target of bigotry and terror. But rarely does it end with them. Hitler set out to incinerate the Jews; in the end, all of Europe was in flames.

History is filled with terrible illustrations of the human capacity for cruelty, hatred, and violence. In every era, there have been ruthless tyrants willing to torture and kill in the pursuit of power and wealth. That intolerance and racism unchecked can lead to barbaric crimes is a vital lesson. But if there is no more to “Never Forget” than that, then Holocaust remembrance must be judged a failure.

It was always inevitable that the enormity of the Holocaust would recede in public awareness. The human mind is built to forget; neither individuals nor societies can prevent the intensity of agonizing memories from diminishing over time. In a new book, “In Praise of Forgetting,” David Rieff reflects on King Philip’s War, a murderous conflict between English settlers and Indians in 17th-century New England. On a per capita basis, it was the bloodiest war in American history, and those who survived the carnage must surely have been passionate in their conviction that it never be forgotten.

“And yet,” writes Rieff, “professional historians aside, King Philip’s War is almost never talked about. . . . The historical importance of an event in its own time and in the decades that follow offers no guarantee that it will be remembered in the next century, let alone for many centuries after.”

Sooner or later — sooner, I fear, than later — the same fate will overtake the Holocaust.

Like other terrible eruptions of savagery and slaughter, the Holocaust will become, as it were, “ordinary” history. By now there is evidence aplenty that it is already fading from common knowledge. In 2013, a survey of more than 53,000 respondents in 101 countries found that only 54 percent of the world’s adults had even heard of the Holocaust — and of those, one-third belsieve it is either a myth or has been greatly exaggerated.

Dispiriting as those numbers are, they are bound to grow even worse. As the generation of Holocaust survivors passes away, as Holocaust-deniers spread their poison, as indifference to history takes its inevitable toll, remembrance of the Nazis’ Jewish genocide will dissipate.

More and more, Holocaust terminology and imagery will be trivialized. Indeed, the words and pictures have for years been shockingly misused. In its “Holocaust on your Plate” campaign, the animal-rights group PETA explicitly likened Hitler’s millions of human victims to chickens slaughtered for food. In Taiwan, giant images of Hitler, his arm raised in a Nazi salute, were used to advertise space heaters. In a TV broadcast, the evangelical preacher Pat Robertson insisted that “what Nazi Germany did to the Jews, so liberal America is now doing to evangelical Christians . . . . It’s no different, it’s the same thing.”

For a few decades after World War II, the sheer monstrousness of the Holocaust made it unthinkable as a subject for jokes. But that, too, has gone by the boards, along with the brief postwar taboo that banished rank anti-Semitism from polite society. Now Holocaust jokes proliferate. “Tasteless and mean-spirited, some of these have become part of the repertoire of popular stand-up comedians,” writes Alvin Rosenfeld, a scholar at Indiana University. “By ridiculing and mocking Jewish suffering, comics like France’s Dieudonné, Norway’s Otto Jespersen, Ireland’s Tommy Tiernan , and their counterparts in other countries look to laugh away Hitler’s Jewish victims by deriding them.”

The world’s conscience was shocked, after the fact, by the scope and ferocity of the Holocaust. In the face of such monumental evil, “Never Forget,” like “Never Again,” may have seemed the only possible decent response. “After the war,” Elie Wiesel said, “we reassured ourselves that it would be enough to relate a single night in Treblinka . . . to shake humanity out of its indifference and keep the torturer from torturing ever again.”

But it wasn’t. Accounts of what was done in Treblinka did not prevent mass murder in Cambodia or Bosnia or Rwanda. Holocaust remembrance has not inoculated human beings against treating other human beings with brutality. Museums and films and college courses about the Shoah have not made genocide unthinkable — not even another Jewish genocide, as the regimes in Iran and Gaza frequently make clear.

Holocaust remembrance has not prevented the onset of Holocaust forgetfulness.

For survivors like my father, and for the sons and daughters they raised, it goes without saying that “Never Forget” remains an ineradicable moral imperative. I have always taken the Holocaust personally, and always will. But the world, I know, will not. Eventually, everything is forgotten. Even the worst crime in history.

bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/04/30/never-forget-world-said-holocaust-but-world-forgetting/59cUqLNFxylkW7BDuRPgNK/story.html
archive.is/0CcY8

archive.is/oIlqm

I wonder why?

The holocaust didn't happen, but it will soon.

Nice dub dub Hitler.
The Holocaust didnt happen, but it should have.

Could this possibly be related to the fact that jews have been using the alleged holocaust as a club to beat anyone who disagrees with them for ~70 years now?

I guess introspection in not one of their strong points.

>Tfw you were born just in time to partake in the Second Shoah

How can it be the second when there was no first?

Part II: The Real Edition

Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me, user. Mental conditioning is a pain in the ass.

TLDR: OY VEY!

I cry evry night ;_; because holocaust didn't happened

The first one was a sneak preview.

Why not do a MoveOn.org type movement for the Holohoax?

Garbage already. They keep screaming "never forget" while recreating the social conditions that led to it, keep saying "those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" without realizing that the reverse isn't true - no one said you could avoid a repeat just by understanding alone.

For that matter, it's a crock of shit regardless because we do not remember. We weren't there, we rely on second hand accounts, told and retold, embellished and dramatized, faring further and further into the realm of caricature every time. What good will 'never forgetting' do if you leave behind the details, the real events and their causes, in favor of soundbites and empty slogans?

Mel Gibson did literally nothing wrong.

Race mixing

wat

It should be good, we have decades worth of entertaining ideas to really reach the next level of horror and schadenfreude.

holy kek
taipeitimes.com/News/local/archives/1999/11/23/11877

Playing with words again. Hitler really was too fucking kind. Should have destroyed the Brits and the kikes before 1941.

We've been over this.
Jews can't into long-term planning. They do what's best at the moment, but don't think about how it could bite them in the ass later.

Could the jews be behind the Titanic ?

Yeah bro that's why they've been religiously following their Talmudic plan of world domination for 1500 years.

Jews are the ONLY race that plans long-term. Hell, they're the only race that even plans. There is an actual World Jewish Congress that outlines the future for Jewry. Is there a World White people Council? A World Asian Council? The closest that any other races get to this are regional economic summits, but no other race is organized like Jews are.

well one of the founders of the shipyard that built it was a kike convert. coulda been his jewery that caused all the massive fuck ups in it's design and building.
I don't know that much about it though.

It's really their own fault.
In constantly screaming about muh holocaust and muh 600,000,000,000,000,000,000 they've also made everyone fucking tired of hearing about the holocaust, become a joke even.

Like jay sherman in that episode of the simpsons:
It's Hitler!
It's Hitler!
It's Hitler!

Even if the holohoax were real, Jews only have themselves to blame for this. They had to escalate their myth so far to the ceiling, that no other tragedy, nightmare or horror can possibly rouse the attention of the public on its own.

Fucking spoilers

He didn't raise his hand and spoke out of turn.

Why remember something that never happened?
Unicorns are more real than any "holocaust" of any Jew.
They think that by accusing people loudly enough, & bullshitting as many dupes as possible, they can somehow make their fairy story real.

It didn't happen, the lies are starting to be uncovered, and in 20 years people will know it was all a fabrication.

And then we can have a real holocaust

I watched and also read about the Titanic's sister ship was either the Olympic or Britannica that had some kind of ship yard accident or some thing and they switched the ship registries for some kind of weird reason and they were going to scuttle the Titanic which was actually the sister ship and the rescue boat on the sea never made the rendezvous to save all the passengers and collect on the insurance.
Was probably a big colossal made up story for the history channel.

If you tried to start one, the Jew media would demonize you for being anti-Semitic, and Jew lawyers from the ADL would sue you for violating equal rights laws by only letting in whites.

Only non-whites and Jews can be legally bigoted…whites have passed laws against themselves to make it impossible for whites to only support other whites.

You mean dress rehearsal. And since we see what evil the kikes wrought from an event that never even happened, the enormity of their crimes with the hoax as it's justification, we also know that there can be no mercy when it really happens.

10/10

Simple user. You have to build a time machine. You have to go back to 1932. YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT REAL.

It was real in their mind.

Oh don't worry. The second shoah is only the beginning.

They mean they haven't yet been indoctrinated with the kosher version of 'history'.

I don't think he was talking about 'censoring' the holohoax. It sounded more like what Kurtz talked about when he remarked the strength men had to cut off arms of inoculated kids.
youtube.com/watch?v=xNRBajLM8_4
(And embedded)

Full quote;

Most of you know what it means to see a hundred corpses lying together, five hundred, or a thousand. To have gone through this and yet - apart from a few exceptions, examples of human weakness - to have remained decent fellows, this is what has made us hard. This is a glorious page in our history that has never been written and shall never be written.

…..and this quote gets taken out of context everytime.

The rabbis plan.
The average jew does not.

NO WE DIDN'T YOU FUCKING KIKES. YOU SAID THAT AND HAD YOUR GOOD GOY MOUTHPIECES SAY IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN UNTIL EVERYONE WAS SICK OF HEARING ABOUT THE PEDDLE POWERED BRAINBASHING ELECTRIC ROLLERCOASTER FLOOR THAT MASTURBATES YOU TO DEATH

The concept of "never forgetting" is retarded. How much do people care about the atrocities the ancients commited these days? How much do we care about the Mongols burning down Europe? How big a scar did the Black Death leave in the minds of Europeans?

The Holocaust happened… to be a good thing. Take that JIDF.

Oy vey goyim. How you dare you to forget the single most important thing in history?

Jews carry all the butthurt they ever experienced with them until the end of time

slim to none im afraid
noone cares about what the jews did to the Hurrian women and children of Ursalim (Jerusalem) 3000 years ago, bu they should because its a perfect example of what jewish supremacy means to non-jews

You don't remember when the Romans wrapped 64,000,000 kikelets in scrolls and burned them alive?

Because it really happened, goyim. One town had 400 synagogues, each with 400 rabbis, each with 400 students.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Kokhba_revolt

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betar_(fortress)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gematria
Gematria /ɡəˈmeɪ.tri.ə/ (Greek: meaning geometry) is an Assyro-Babylonian-Greek system of code and numerology later adopted into Jewish culture that assigns numerical value to a word or phrase in the belief that words or phrases with identical numerical values bear some relation to each other or bear some relation to the number itself as it may apply to nature, a person's age, the calendar year, or the like.

For better or worse, million-figure death tolls are quite common in the long and bloody history of East Asia. So it's only natural that to the Orientals, the holocaust is just another lolocaust, a historical footnote like every other one.

thats not even the first, the first was Nebuchednezzar who intended to merely let the jews rule their shitty patch of dirt as long as they submitted to him
instead they got too big for their own boots so Nebuchednazzar humbled them by slaughtering the jew kings entire family in front of him, pulling down their temple and setting the city alight before gouging his eyes out so that would be the last thing the traitorous jew ever saw

What about jews stop forgetting that it wasn't only them in those camps?

That is what happen if they scream ^ trillions too many.

6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6

I've heard it claimed that the "secret" Posen speech wasn't even actually Himmler, and that the alleged recording sounds nothing like Himmler. Is there anything to back this up, or is it pure tinfoil?

you mean…
the "gassing of the jews" was vaporware ?

Were any Germans or Nazis frothing at the mouth for gassing jews like we are now? I've never actually read anything from that era that calls for any kind of literal extermination of jews.

The jews have destroyed and lied so much that they have made us even more bloodthirsty than the Nazis of WW2.

Actually I take that back. There was one French guy that wanted to kill them all, but I can't remember his name. But even he was too extreme for the Nazis.

Tfw they are literally memeing their annoying lies into reality.

I for one welcome the day when the kikes lose muh ultimate bargaining chip

I don't understand that they are still screaming and remain their face straight despite the fact that they are going to face their consequences in the future.

They try the SAME DAMNED THING EACH TIME WITH MINOR VARIATIONS.

So this time the reason they are SO SCARED is the technology exists to RECORD THEIR SHIT and make damned sure nob ody forgets all their shit. It's why so many archological museums and sites int eh ME are getting torched, so there can be no study of history of the middle east after they loose power this next time.

Because we would piece it together and we would keep that information FOREVER.

The Jews are crazy.

The rabbi's have secret agreements and understandings with other entities hell bent of simple and grand mayhem and murder, dagon, molech, cthulu, nyalrathorp etc.

We really should never forget the victims of the Soviet genocide, the holodmor, the great leap forward, khmer rouge, and the ongoing atrocities in south africa. If you look closely you find a certain person of chosen and designated heritage.

You callous white nationalists!
Never forget.

Recall that (pic related) was used as a magical, occult symbol before it became associated with the Jews, who had a reputation as good magicians in olden times. Rather fitting the numeric significance of the chance symbol they adopted.

>Implying they believe in the other 10 they actually do not

6 gorillion ain't nothing compared to how many people jews have slaughtered over the millennium. Jews just naturally get upset because they been fucking over people for so many centuries that now the wheels turned and people are sick of their shit, they have to try and cling to every little thing.

The holocaust scam reached peak interest in 1983, so the kikes invented a new scam global warming and climate change.
and their terminology of critics is the same;
Holocaust denier
Climate denier

books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Auschwitz,global warming,climate change,holocaust&year_start=1900&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=1&share=&direct_url=t1;,Auschwitz;,c0;.t1;,global warming;,c0;.t1;,climate change;,c0;.t1;,holocaust;,c0

ISIS will launch a massive attack on kikeland
Waves upon waves of goatfuckers will rush the desert and kill thousands of settlers
after weeks of slaughter, and our laughter, the kikes will roll out them big guns and lay waste to ISIS
The kikes will claim ISIS territory
And in the decades to come come they`ll say
Remember the hundreds of thousands ISIS killed
We need this clay

Lord Kek, how accurate am I?
Last two or three digits (in the case of 100%).

Except that they're too pussy to sacrifice their own, anymore.

Israel gentrified the jews.

I once called out my history teacher on why we were supposed to feel more sympathy for Jews than the 450,000 Brits who we bear blood relation with; luckily my history teacher was a bad goy.

Indeed, they`ll have to think of a nice name for it. And for the next 7 decades we`ll have to hear about it. A nuke would be a bit to drastic, but I would n`t put it past them.

Phoenicians sacrificed Phoenicians to their gods as their gods could only be appeased by their own blood
jews sacrificed non-jews exclusively what doe that say

They used poor quality (cheap) rivets in the construction. The strike on the iceberg was a glancing blow, the ship should have survived. But the rivet heads popped off like buttons and that was that.

It's not that people don't remember, they don't care because the kikes have used it as a get out of jail free card rather then just remembering the honored dead; assuming if it did happen