Dragonbox Pyra Preorder started

yay or nay?

Other urls found in this thread:

pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/soc-back-and-forth.73591/
pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/soc-back-and-forth.73591/page-5#post-1282549
gemalto.com/brochures-site/download-site/Documents/M2M_PLS8_datasheet.pdf
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14mVNNzLhmhyA4sCIAPSoDv404xtctfLSiEMTtTlEzfw/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1574311258
pandoralive.info/?p=5043
repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=xash3d_ptitseb
replicant.us/freedom-privacy-security-issues.php
boingboing.net/2014/03/13/samsung-galaxy-back-door-allow.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale
fsf.org/campaigns/apple
lowrisc.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=d4t9Ys8wI6k
lowrisc.org/faq/
pyra-handheld.com/wiki/index.php?title=WiFi
pyra-handheld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bluetooth
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_wireless_drivers#cite_ref-ti-connectivity_24-2
pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/how-to-calculate-a-price-for-the-pyra.73755/
poal.me/mztn2u
github.com/NextThingCo/CHIP-linux
github.com/NextThingCo/CHIP-u-boot
youtu.be/hXDizTasY6A
gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_364503.html
youtube.com/watch?v=wj1T84orbeY
youtu.be/A3LyKmAC_KU
aliexpress.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-X5-Z8500-Windows-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2/32674665290.html
pgslab.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=v-ynkgaR3ZY
reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4opa3g/we_are_pgs_lab_a_team_dedicated_to_making_the/
pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyratech/
pandorawiki.org/Pandian
pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware
pandorawiki.org/Gentoo
pandorawiki.org/RISC_OS
blog.parts-people.com/2012/12/20/mobile-raspberry-pi-computer-build-your-own-portable-rpi-to-go/
pandorawiki.org/Openpandora_Ltd#How_to_get_refunds
youtube.com/watch?v=BZcFnunrVGw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

seems to be a decent deal, around the price of a smart phone without the economies of scale aspect.

Looks like a neat idea, and I have a soft spot for clear plastic handhelds. Too bad I'm a poorfag.
The modular stuff sounds cool, but it has to be sucessful for them to make more modules. I'd like to see this sort of thing become a standard though, like the RasPi did for credit card sized SBCs.
Are they still using PowerVR? Have they sorted out graphics drivers for it?

Isn't that just a Pandora?

Hardware 3D acceleration wont be there when released afaik, but there should lay a prototype on a TI desk already to fix that.

successor of the pandora

Is it possible to run windows on that thing?

No only in Wine

it looks gorgeous, but what's the point of it? I know I'm only ever going to use it at home, kids would be better off with raspi so at least you could pretend they were coding blinkenlights and shit like that.

Maybe you don't leave your house, but some people do.

Sounds nice, but that's way to much money. For that much money I could:
1. buy several laptops
2. build several laptops
3. build a desktop capable of playing high end video gaymes.

Not worth it.

but then I'm driving my car, having a meal, working out, or doing the shopping.

where does cranking out half an our of SNES games fit into that?

like, there are DS and PSP exclusives for people who are into that kind of shit, what titles does the Pyra have to actually shift units?

If you see the Pyra as a device you can only play on, it is surely not the right device for you. A DS is also cheaper.

See, I thought about it from that angle too, and a bluetooth keyboard will do as much with the device I already have, plus custom socket SOC boards will cost as much if not more than a new phone/tablet.

They fucked up so hard.

it is up to you if you want to carry a pyra or a phone plus a bluetoothkeyboard around. Speaking of it a SOC update might cost around 100€.

low quantity and atleast some open hardware aspects really limit soc candidates.

It was literally there only option.

If I had money to burn, I'd be way into this. As my checking account currently stands, nay.

Let me guess, chink SOC with proprietary drivers?

the way i see it, it fills the following:
-unlike a smartphone, keyboard and a proper computer OS. not so easy writing code on emacs and committing on git with a smartphone.
-unlike laptop, can be used anywhere, including standing in transport among normies. can't really do that with most laptops.

Yeah, I saw this and the GPD Win 10 posted on Holla Forums. If UMPC's made a comeback, I'd be really happy.

I don't like carrying around my laptop bag, and I like playing emulators and stuff on DOSBOX. So, this would be fantastic for me.

From what it seems like, the GPD Win 10 will have much better hardware than the Pyra, but the Pyra will almost certainly have better linux support. So, I'd probably choose the Pyra if I were to get one. Probably won't be buying either anytime soon though, because that's too much money to just throw around.

It's bearable with a bluetooth keyboard and a chroot/proot environment or Termux. I haven't tried phones with physical keyboards but they might be fine too. The operating system isn't a huge problem if you just want to write code in Emacs.

It's a cool toy. If you want to actually get anything done, however, just get a real laptop.

TI OMAP5 5432

I'd buy that shit only because how awesome it looks.

muh nigga

Gahhh... it's just the price. I'd definitely pick one up for 300-400 USD.

If I have expendable cash I'd get one, reminds me of when PalmTops were a thing. Fuckin' expensive, but rightly so.

Why do these UMPCs always use cheap/outdated SoCs while Smartphones get all the good/most powerful latest Snapdragon shit?

hell, even a Snapdragon 600, which is dirt cheap nowadays and much more powerful, could've made a good contender, or even the cheaper ARMv8 Snapdragon 410

They have a blog post about it. No one wanted to sell to them because they were not buying enough SoCs. I think Nvidia might have let them but they had to make the logic board in china and the pyra team wanted to keep production in Europe. I think they mentioned the German division of Samsung loved the idea and wanted them to use exynos cpus but it did not work out.

That actually makes sense because chip makers want to keep the prices on SoCs down and the only way to do that is scale of economics

Still doesn't explain why they can't still use a more powerful chip thats not in wide circulation anymore though, like the Snapdragon 600

OH MUH DICK THEY GOT ALL THE SHOULDER BUTTONS IN.

PS2 EMULATION HERE WE COME.

But would they be open hardware?
Monads everyday

>bluetooth keyboard and a chroot/proot environment or Termux
Boy oh boy, you sure like to be exploited. Better jail those broadcasts commands.

Freedom demands a price?

Why not make your own?
Tell me how that works out, in the next few years you take to not only design it, but consolidated with interested solders&factories, all the while your design has been obsoleted by a shiny newer processor

Control the market, control the game

yea because with a small team you could totally invent the wheel new. Or better saying millions of wheels on a space of a squareinch.

This is designed almost exclusively for retro gaming on the go.

Of course it's a fucking toy.

Here is the post I was referring to I don't remember if they go over snapdragon stuff.

pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/soc-back-and-forth.73591/

That's pretty awesome.

it's expensive and some things won't work with fully free distros; but there isn't a better alternative in the UMPC or the whole mobile computing market. The physical keyboard, the standard IO ports and the fact that it was designed to run a GNU/Linux distro from the get-go makes it much better than a smartphone.

I'd say it's a yay

yes, all TI OMAP/Sitara SoCs come with it.

I'm glad they didn't use Snapdragon or Exynos. I would never buy an ARM SoC with proprietary firmware.

it looks even sexier from the back. All those holes.

Seriously, it has more standard ports than a Macbook Air

According to the post in the link, it seems they didn't contact Qualcomm at all, shame, probably because they don't have an HQ out there

Which context are you replying to?
More than likely, all those replies, and yours, means you sarcastically agree. So thanks for the salt.

Is that 4 USB ports?

He contacted Qualcomm, you can read is in exactly the same thread on some later pages. Qualcomm didnt seem to care about Linux and 2d acceleration drivers.

pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/soc-back-and-forth.73591/page-5#post-1282549

Sadly the current SOC doesnt support the USB3, but with an adapter it will be usable as eSATAp. But because the developer hope for SOC updates, the port already has the USB3 color.

Does it have a display out? I'm too lazy to look at the specs.

If it has a display out it would be a perfect portable PC to hook up to chink monitors / tvs i have laying around.

If you mean displayport, then no. If you are okay with micro hdmi, then yes.

it does support usb3 thru an OTG port

Thanks. If the reviews are good i might buy this thing.

from the official website:

Clear plastic hhnnngggg

prbly not as a final color because it could suck with the backlid keyboard.

How's that any better from a cheap laptop or a smartphone?

the fact it is both in one device

no botnet, full linux desktop, gaming controls, resistive touchscreen for precision input, fully unlocked bootloader and hardware.

Not like this

Well 0.7 thousand is a number of thousands, that's true.

how much is it in small loans?

more portable than a laptop, more useful than a smartphone or tablet.
equally portable than a smartphone, less useful than a full-size laptop

Cost to produce: $15

The last one was great, just underpowered when it came out and suffered for it.

It probably got sales from the 50 people who followed it and then the half a million who watched Ashens call it amazing and wondered why it wasn't being talked about more.

YES, I think it's worth supporting for going in the right direction, the fabs just aren't on board with freedom enough to make something like this device with 100% free components but if you push in this direction a future one might be possible.

if it could actually emulate ps2 I'm sure most gamers would definitely get one. Not even the Gpd win will be able to run most games.

I can't see it happening tbh bruh. PCSX2 was a major pain to get running on linux, something so win32 bound is going to be even worse on ARM.

There's another project called Play! but it's looking like it's going to end up needing similar specs to dolphin, which is no longer targeting 32-bit arm and requires aarch64 at a minimum.

Irregardless, Gamecube/Dolphin is the bar for this thing to get over before anybody gets their hopes up about PS2, this revision looks like a semi-firm nope, but there were three OpenPandoras and the final one started smashing PSP games and 90's PC shit so who knows?

Fuck you're right.

Oh well, RetroArch still has PSP and Playstation.. and everything else.

God damn I love that piece of software.

May as well wait until it gets cheaper
and better cpu's come out.

Sorry but no.

Is that the TempleOS guy? If so, what the hell would he be streaming with?

PCSX2 is mostly a pain because its dynarec depends on i386 so you need to have all the same dependencies for that arch.

Hey, that module thing sounds interesting though. Would it be like the way the BBB has capes? Would it be possible to build a module that can send out RF and hold a sim card for this thing to be used like a phone?

A53 would've been better but yeah.

The LTE model can do voice over GSM
The baseband can be turned off and has no DMA access to the SoC

great. tbh I always liked the Dragonbox Pyra more than the Neo900

I'm not a phonefag expert, but aren't they like different protocol generations?

Now for the sake of mental masturbation suppose it was one of those old TI Calypso GSM baseband. We could flash a free software OsmoconBB stack, the only libre cellular firmware to be precise, and not worry about having a featurephone wired to a Linux computer to make use of it, since the handheld itself is the Linux computer.

gemalto.com/brochures-site/download-site/Documents/M2M_PLS8_datasheet.pdf

FUCK DUDE, give me a bluetooth dumbphone attachment for this so I can make calls and I can ditch everything.

Keep in mind the hardware can potently do calls but I don't think anyone has made software to do it.

YOU HAD ONE JOB

D-pad looks pretty shit too actually.

So, regarding?

The Pyra forums voted on a layout last year and that seemed to be what everybody wanted.

He runs TempleOS in a virtual machine.

Dont forget how fucking rocket engineering it was to come to a final layout. I will just link this: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14mVNNzLhmhyA4sCIAPSoDv404xtctfLSiEMTtTlEzfw/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1574311258

can we at least swap out the shit xbox buttons for the 4 on the right?

Even Terry knows it's cancer

which exactly do you mean? The four ABXY and...?

and replace them with smooth and concave buttons instead of shitter xbox round buttons

But they are. Maybe not like eggs but they are concave.

user those look flat not curved like a crater

well no crater but the opposide, rounded up. It is hard to see because it is transparent plastic. But if you consider the Xbox buttons flat, then yea this will be flat to you too.

no user, I consider the xbox buttons convex, and I hate them

If you are lucky there will be third party keymats in your favour. Atleast they are easily removable. Picture related, but it is a old version of the mat with less rounded buttons.

I don't even mind a slightly rounded button for keyboard

but I like my buttons American SNES style

No sysrq?

not labeled but it should be no problem to map it. For example the User key, next to Esc.

What's the phyrexian button? The lowest center button.

It has their logo on it, so probably Super/Windows/mod4.

how will the ui scaling be? because in the OP picture, the fonts are microscopic.

no. he said it isn't designed to run on physical hardware because of lack of driver support due to it being under 100k lines

It is designed to run on physical hardware, it's just an unrealistic goal to support it. In his ideal end goal everyone owns standardized computers for running TempleOS.

I'm not interested in speaking simple english to help help pervert the english of keats into the lingua franca of aggravated robbery.

someone rendered an exploded view

If you make your won you can. The pandora/pyra team has been pretty open to people making mods and cases for the thing.

Best to hold off on this until the reviews come out, that D-pad looks like it could be a real piece of shit.

The D-pad on the pandora was one of the best I've ever used, this one looks the same.

I'm interested, especially since it could run games as well. My U810's keyboard isn't really designed for gaming.

The only issue for me is the cost, but once I get a job I might buy one to replace my U810.

A U810 is still nice to have, always wanted a UH900 but it is so rare it costs always 1k€when I happen to find one. Went for the 2nd gen Vaio P as a UMPC. The P is nice and all with the mouse controls left and right of the display and the gallant form but still has too many downsides for regular use.

Its $712.78 plus tax.

I mean you are right. This seems like a shit deal when you can just get a fucking laptop, but it doesn't quite break the 1k point.

No. Seriously. Why does this thing cost so much?

They need to manufacture in big quantities in order to lower the costs.

WOOOOOOOOW BUGGED ECONOMY MECHANICS

Anyone remember when some guys in china were making new motherboards for the older t40/60 ThinkPads? What ever happened with that?

they got rich and dont care anymore, thats what.

3.3~ million dollars (approximately)

They made the small number they wanted for the chinese thinkpad community, a few people on the thinkpads.com forum got their hands on some to add to their collection. End of story.

This pyra thing has the exact same problem as it's predecessor, by the time it's out you'll be able to buy twice as much computing power in a similar form factor for half the money. Hell forget half the money as you can already buy Gpd XD for under $200 today which has similar specs and form factor.

The way to make free computing devices cheaper is to clone existing designs, then you have the benefit of scales of production. That's why the Gpd XD uses a nintendo 3ds body clone.

I don't know if the swapable SoC will work out yet but if it does then I don't think it will end up like the Pandora.

The pyra is not a console though, it's an all in one minicomputer that can handle a pure GNU/Linux system and work as a phone. It even has an HDMI port, and it is upgradeable.
Yeah I can buy a phone with the same specs for cheaper, but I won't be able to do anything with it or tinker with it, so why bother at all in the first place? It doesn't matter if I may be able to buy something more powerful for cheaper if it's going to be as limited as a smartphone, all that power is useless under android.

A short video was made:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZDfTVX8Nb8

I hope it has a decent screen to use outdoors, it would be pretty sweet to just chill a park and cuck a prepaid mobile data carrier for tiny amounts of data with console programs and shit

I can think of much better things to do with that money. it doesn't even take me any longer than 2 minutes to take a shit.

Then again, so does your mom.

however like a macbook his mom is considered slow and easy.

That's convex. Concave means it goes down.

good to know

stylus?

stay mad macfaggots

It's got a resistive touch screen.

Any estimates on the battery life with average use?

Will probably get one anyway, but long battery life would be super awesome

My pandora last about 7-8hrs with heavy use. I think It might be a bit less with the pyra if you have the 4g model.

I should add when I mean heavy use I mean overclocking it to get a barely playable framerate in half-life while listing to music.

UWOT M8? Please tell me how on earth you did this. did you have some bizarre qemu-system-x86 setup?

pandoralive.info/?p=5043

Define all that you are asking for, with PSU spec given, and replicate. Recall, every capacitor is not the same, or every charge.

At the least it isn't PSVita with SoC battery. If the capacitor dies, you'll have to play plugged.

Lit. on preoder, there are no test cases. Why would you even fathom "battery life" a viable question to ask, while on this phase?

Does this have a microswitch D-pad? It is 2016, after all.

Looking at the PCB no, the shoulder buttons seem to be ones.

Do you or anyone else here have a link to the text version of that article? When I search for it, I can only find screenshots, and not the article itself.

repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=xash3d_ptitseb

I looks like the same d-pad as the Pandora It's good, better then most but it's not quite as good as the d-pads for the saturn, gba sp, or ds phat. and no micro switch.

I guess it doesn't exist. I found it only in memedatabase.

the image is a fake dank meme, which is not to say the claims it makes are false

man if they did it in wacky colors it would be the 90s all over again (i miss the 90)

It's a shame Sony stopped making these things.
I'm still getting one for emulation, gps, and rtl-sdr, but it would be nice if someone were to pick up the torch.

We will make a spec for a perfectly standardized, $2500, cryogenically-cooled
monster desktop PC, hopefully 7 Ghz continuous operation. It is pointless for
me to have a high power machine if other people have wimpy machines because they
cannot run my software. Therefore, everybody in the developed world will buy
one over the next ten years, so quantity of 400 million perhaps. God said to
pay the US national debt. We will standardize not just the TempleOS components,
the display will be 4K (and of course 640x480 16 color) and no others.
Everybody gets just one monitor, unless you buy special cards. Everybody gets
two speakers, a headphone, a mic and a webcam. We make the audio one sample
rate and one size, but TempleOS still gets just a square wave. HD Audio is
really screwed-up. It takes complicated artificial intelligence, just to route
output to speakers.

The Standard Temple IBM PC will be a full-sized tower. It must have a
CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive. We need a network connection, possibly implemented as a
super simple high speed serial device. What about standard monitor and
speakers? The C64's success was partially due to wide spread, completely
standard, hardware. I think TempleOS will not do bad block devices, so we need
a hard drive, not just NV-memory or SSD.

TempleOS will have the priority over Windows or Linux on hardware decisions. We
could make it heterogenious multicore. I think we want 16 non-hyperthreaded
cores. Core#0 is the only full-featured core. The other cores have long mode,
but do not some of these: real mode, protected mode, ring-3, paging, interrupts,
in/out port instructions, SSE instructions, MMX instructions. This
Graphics Job is what we wish to optimize for.

God said Intel should do a simulation of heat produced by gates and try
spreading-out the heat producing gate circuits on the chip.

God said Linux's Wine should replace Windows.

I have no fucking idea what you're saying user. But I think you're implying that it would be possible to 1337 haxxz0r a dragonbox to have phone capabilities. Is this correct?

Just guessing, but
You can talk to people. This should mean it's usable as a phone, but that depends on if the software is there. also it's huge, no idea why you'd want to use it as a phone
You can turn the LTE stuff off while the device is on
The LTE stuff is separate from the processor and RAM, and can't be used as an attack vector. AKA no botnet.

been watching that project for over a year now, I'll probably get one of those things once I have some money to spare

not having to lug around a fucking 6 lbs 15" laptop to uni sounds pretty nice

I was thinking it would be better than my droid 4 slide phone for on the go coding

smh...

Those are the same people that can not understand this kind of device.

Protip: If you don't understand why this device exists then you can stick to smartphones or Apple products, and nothing of value will be lost.

a strong scent of autism washes over you

third-generation telephony standards
second-generation telephony standards

direct memory access. When a peripheral is said to have DMA means that it can read the contents of your RAM at will without asking the OS for permission. This is done for performance reasons but it also introduces problems like having to trust that device with your data.

system on a chip. A SoC is kind of a motherboard with integrated CPU and RAM and shit. smartphones and tablets are manufactured this way.

there's a separate CPU for doing radio-related stuff in every cellphone. no matter how much you trust your main operating system, if the baseband processor has direct access to memory, mic, cam, etc, the OS that is running on it could screw you badly:

replicant.us/freedom-privacy-security-issues.php
boingboing.net/2014/03/13/samsung-galaxy-back-door-allow.html

have you ever seen "updates" pushed by network carriers in you phone? they could have been imposed on you this way

because 2 devices are bigger than 1 and you want to select the more useful one?

Good joke m8

On the pyra the SoC access the baseband through a usb lane, the baseband has no direct access to anything except the sim card and the antenna.

I would pay 99€ tops for this thing.

But quite frankly, I don't think it's worth more than 50-62.5€

Why would you just go and chop off a perfectly good penis?

what to comply?

people whine about the 'apple tax'
but look at you fucks

?

Is Holla Forums being covertly overrun by markov-chain spambots lately?

Do you not understand how economics work? How would you make this cheaper?

Nigger, just get an Intel Atom device, you can get a cheap-ass Atom tablet for like 90 bucks now, then you can install GNU/Linux however you please

not giving those fuckers any money after getting jewed out of my pandora.

The guy who scammed people is not apart of this project.

Paying more for Macs because you want the brand/aesthetic. That is the Mac tax. Basically they are saying the people who want this are taking it to a whole new level since the hardware isn't all that impressive.

With this in mind this has already been explained in the thread. These guys aren't exactly hardware giants with a well connected supply chain (though I do wonder if these faggots even tried to start one).

You could buy like 5 - 10 T61 for that price and compute in complete freedom.

What the fuck is the motivation for paying so much for a tiny little ineffective piece of shit "computer" except to broadcast to your fellow Holla Forumsnophiles that you're an autist? (even T61 falls into this category if you don't use it completely free tbh) If you use this the only difference between you and the girls in pics related is that you're autistic. Because you're both putting on an image in order to social signal.

Slap on a touchscreen and give me a stylus.
I just want a small notebook I can carry around and write in that enables me to encrypt the device.

well you're in luck user, this has a touchscreen and stylus

Really?

Well fucking shit.

disgusting

fuck yourself for suggesting it.

Is it really so hard to understand that someone might want a UMPC with gaming controls? I think you are putting a bit to much thought into this.

Retarded or dyslexic?

neat
looks good for basic emulators?
Keyboard is kinda small not a fullsize one but still highly portable.
price is reasonable

True, easier to make your own for that much.

That shit only happens in baseband processors because the actual CPU is a slave I believe.
DMA classically and always been controlled by the OS. The OS has to implement a DMA controller driver and has absolute control on what sections of RAM a device can read, the devices always have to ask for permission to the CPU to use the underlying bus.
DMA is just a direct performance improvement over using the IN/OUT instructions on the CPU, it has no security drawbacks.

Except the bug where any firewire port can access ram without asking the OS

Well yeah, I mean the concept of DMA, not the retarded implementations.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale
fsf.org/campaigns/apple

what's going on with the Han Solo costumes? Are trends being changed by rape season, winter or something?
meh, I wanted to construct a Holla Forums-worthy story. You killed my hopes user. Now tell me, how am I supposed to do truly mobile computing with a Thinkpad? As implied, some of us are simply looking for a better smartphone with physical keyboard and a useful GNU/Linux distro. Essentially a UMPC. I don't even care about gaming

Price is fucking stratospheric, but I think it's worth it if you know what you are buying and can pay for it

Is it supposed to be a pain in the ass to use on an android phone?

i assume since you are on Holla Forums you would at least use this to code on. obviously you are just larping and don't actually know how to code.

>Nigger, just get an BOTNET device, you can get a cheap-ass BOTNET FINGERPRINT LADED AND GERM INFESTED GLASS for like 90 bucks now, then you can install OPERATING SYSTEM WITH NO SUPPORTED DRIVERS FOR SAID GLASS WITH NO BUTTONS'' however you please
translated for you.

And macs are Open hardware now?

OPEN HARDWARE, EASE OF USE, MODIFIABLE, SADLY NO SCALE! PLS HELP!
this prettymuch:

In case you missed it: it has a keyboard. And while not perfect it has pretty much every key you need to code.

i ended up going with the gpd win over the pyra
its got similar specs, but a better processor
only downside is windows 10, but you can flash that shit and install linux which i plan to do

I assume since you're instantly hiding behind your "larp" meme you don't actually code, and furthermore are the sort of retard who'd use the touchscreen on a device with a physical keyboard for typing.

Stallman go home

Oh I'm no freetard, I'm directing this at retards like defending this while calling cheaper but comparable performance Intel devices botnet

I think I'll just keep emulating on my homebrewed 3DS, tbh fam.

I partly agree. Calling this "open hardware" is gratuitously misleading and partly disingenuous. We know only the chipset and the case are libre hardware designs, which is a very good thing tbh. We know the main and graphics processors aren't libre hardware.

I would guess the final product will include blobs to drive the GPU and such, but with some luck this TI SoC will be able to do without them like all other ARM TI SoCs. I guess I'm out of luck running a 3D-accelerated desktop without those drivers.

Intel is obviously worse. TI isn't making it impossible to boot their boards without running a motherfucking ring-0 and network-capable trojan horse. I bet those Atom-based SoCs designs aren't released under a libre license, and many of them use the same family of shitty PowerVR GPUs

Whatever the Pyra devs know of the hardware will be released with the Pyra. It is not known under which license though... Ofc the SoC will not be 100% open.

the closest comparable thing I can think is the OQO and that was x86 not arm though

ikr? fucking everyone calls intel and arm chips "open source" because they drop linux on it.

Do open SoC even exist?

No. lowrisc.org/ is working on it.

MIPS like the ci20 is *KINDA* better than intel since it' at least MIPS, not x86, and not intel ME afaik.

Russia is also making MIPS based workstations (no 3d acceleration yet afaik).

India's colleges are starting to experiment with RISC-V/lowRISC for making computers too.

It's by far the most open console no matter how you look at it and it has a pretty supportive community and good developers.

I don't know why they market it exclusively as a gaming device, because it is a top-tier handheld and could serve as a micro-laptop. 500+ euros is pricy, but there are literally no alternatives.

Open hardware is good from a security standpoint, but it's not like you can copy&paste a microprocessor.

Here's a longer video that showcases gimp, libreoffice, firefox, etc.

All of you idiots arguing about the processor please look at the specs. It says the SoC and ram are on a separate card from the mainboard for future upgrades.

If you're savvy enough, and lowrisc actually materializes, you could design a compatible cpu board for the Pyra.

shill much?
we get the Pyra is arguably nice and all

you don't want a lowrisc cpu on the pyra. lowrisc is gonna be slow, 500MHz clock rate from what I heard

lowrisc.org/faq/

Enjoy killing what's left of your eyesight, faggots.

do you have information on the wifi and bluetooth chips? i would like to know if they'll work with free drivers+firmware.

answering my own question. if the pyra wiki is correct wifi[1] and bluetooth[2] will use a TI WL1835 chip, which requires proprietary firmware[3]. Disappointing. Not being able to use wifi hampers mobile connectivity a lot, and an external dongle is less than ideal

[1]: pyra-handheld.com/wiki/index.php?title=WiFi
[2]: pyra-handheld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bluetooth
[3]: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_wireless_drivers#cite_ref-ti-connectivity_24-2

The pyra is far from perfect but its pretty much the most exciting personal ultraportable computer in a long time.
This device is, by all means, a step into the right direction.

Made me giggle. Thx user.

UMPCs never died lads, they just got superseded by Smartphones and Tablets

Forgot pic
want to put GNU/Linux on here but supposedly you need very specific drivers for shit like the touchscreen that I need to hunt down first, I have to say though I am very impressed, this shit can actually play some PC games, unlike the old UMPCs of yesterday before Intel Atoms had basic shit like out-of-order execution, today Atoms are based off of the Ivy Bridge architecture though. Makes me honestly wonder why anybody still bothers with ARM shit

It's really cool but the price is insane. People take sbcs and make things that are functionally similar all the time.

YOU WOT M8?!

Regarding the price:
pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/how-to-calculate-a-price-for-the-pyra.73755/
tl;dr a niche limited-run product made by a small group ends up being more expensive than it's closest competitor.
If you can make a similar (mostly) open umpc cheaper then please do.

Just build a small laptop. It's a little more expensive but you can emulate practically everything and play some of the newer generation stuff, not to mention upgrading.

That's what I am doing. As more free hardware becomes available for cheaper I will upgrade. Until then I'll stick with a mini-desktop plus small UPC plus mini-screen (usually rap.pi with VGA adapter).

They could probably invest in a 3D printer for shit like the chasis and buttons, and potentially reduce the cost to make by up to $100 or more

Have you ever used anything 3d printed for anything except display? it wouldn't last a week without falling apart.

Why is this thing being advertised as like the next gen of handheld console ever made.

You obviously have no fucking idea how to properly use a 3D printer you retarded shit, you're supposed to pint it in pieces with fasteners or screw holes to drive screws in and assemble it from there, its supposed to be significantly cheaper than factory building, printer plastics like ABS are already commonly used in electronic components

not to mention the surface and finish are nasty as fuck

UMPC master race

My Nintendo DS running genuine Bell Labs software is just as capable as any of your so-called "real computers".

they fucking ruined it.
it was going to be my valentine. I was going to not use the GPU and pretend that it never existed, but how am I supposed to use the fucking Internet?

Arch Linux and wayland have also been ported to the 3DS, which is better because superior hardware and you can softmod it without having to pay shady Somalians for flash carts

Seriously though guys, Intel Atom based devices are good enough now to play a lot of PC games, UMPCs never died, they just became smartphones and tablets

carry around a 2kg brick

Inferno is from Vita Nuova, not Bell Labs

overcome your freetardation

It's Bell Labs software, too.

Now that's sexy. However, practical? Maybe not.

come on boys, keep up those preorders so we can all get our pyras in two months (tm).

p.rdw.se/pyra-preorders.html

can'y you like, have a board made with a free part?

Pandora took I think 5 years to come out, so fuck it I'm not waiting for this shit.

But I am interested in a pocket sized PC with a keyboard. Essentially something I can just open a terminal on, with a slow browser as a luxury. A smartphone with a keyboard that I can put a (working distro on). Is there anything like that, similar to , still on the market?

Maybe a dual screen option with touch keyboard would work, like , but a single screen softkey is just awful and unusable. No I don't want to carry a bluetooth keyboard as well.

Basically I just want a pocket sized laptop. Does one exist?

Get a Pandora if you can't wait.

You can try a Nokia N900. It's a smartphone with a keyboard. The operating system is based on Debian and has a terminal. People have successfully installed other distros on it.

Fixed.

MY DICK

Is this thing a scam?

Yes it is a scam

If one wants a pocket computer with physical keyboard will alway pay more than mainstream devices.

The thing was designed in 2008 and most of the parts are EOL. They can't even make it anymore.

So, this won't be out for 5 years and I'm better off getting older junkier hardware?

No, they are currently targeting sept/oct of 2016

They have a working prototype now just a few tweaks need to be made.

It's already taken years to get this far, but now the finish line is coming into view.

Shilling never felt so good

Shit thread.

Stop being gay.

It looked much better without the logo.

Doesn't everything though?

Yep. Way to make an open product ao corporate and lame.

I haven't seen this discussed on Holla Forums, so might as well post it here. The PocketChip is going to be released next month.

Cons:

Pros:

You know It is not fully open right?
See

And also ARM CPU along with the USB 3.0 port controller and other things like the storage controller, etc.

Can you install gentoo on it?

The maker of the SoC (Allwinner) violates GPL like most chink companies.

you all are LE faggots. take this survey

poal.me/mztn2u

poal.me/mztn2u

poal.me/mztn2u

poal.me/mztn2u

This is the source code of the kernel they use:
github.com/NextThingCo/CHIP-linux
And this of the bootloader:
github.com/NextThingCo/CHIP-u-boot

You seem to want to get me off the point of what I'm saying.

The logo looks terrible on this. I liked it way better when it didn't have it. It just looks like a toy now.

Why not just get a cheap android tablet with a keyboard and install GNU/linux on it?

>>>/g/

Does it fit in your pocket?

I think they might 7 inches might be small enough.

I might just buy one for an emergency stash computer.

Should be possible if I trust some forum user who seem competent.

Back in the store, probably the last batch ever.

My prediction: Pyras for all in Sept

Well, at least it looks better than those clamshell netbooks.
The hardware to style ratio probably isn't worth the trade-off though.

besides what is saying, the CHIP is coincidentally in the same situation as the Pyra: the processors are nonfree ARM hardware designs, the ISA is nonfree, the PCB is free, the GPUs (PowerVR in Pyra's case and Mali in the other) and the wireless communications chips (>>597182 and some blobbed Ralink module in CHIP's case) won't work without proprietary blobs, but the rest of the hardware does.

That company Allwinner are ruthless bastards, but there are good freedom-respecting products coming from OEMs like Olinuxino that use Allwinner SoCs.

I know the hardware isn't free, we will have to wait for RISC-V to make that step, but I'm pretty sure ARM-based Texas Instruments CPUs (like the one used in the Pyra) is OK with a fully free software stack from the bootloader to the kernel. It's up to the OEM to cripple the CPUs with TrustZone and proprietary crap, and I don't think the Pyra will do that.

let me guess, do they come with proprietary firmware preinstalled? This is unfortunately true for every other device; however, they could have tried at least to avoid blobs on WiFi.

if you can install Gentoo you already know the answer to the question.

Shill? Shitty specs with no hdmi-out like the Ubuntu Tablet.

Stay retarded,

It does have HDMI output though

It hasone USB 3.0 OTG port, two full-sized USB 2.0 ports (one has additional SATA output, available via an adapter), one Micro-USB Serial Output-Port (which can also be used for charging), a headset port (that supports ALL TRRS standards) and a MicroHDMI port.

You're as bad as the fucking CP spam

HAHAHAHAHAHA you fucking permavirgin

What the fuck is your problem, kiddie fiddler?

Never touched a kid in my life, nice stereotype though

You sure have a whole lot of pictures of scantily-clad single-digit-age females for someone who lords their morals over others.

When did I imply that?

Wow, Josh was spot on. You people are fucking deranged.

Are you really this mad all the time?

I'm leaving this thread

Holy fuck it went out of stock fast.

I was kind of bummed that I couldn't afford one and then I saw this thingy. The day is saved. I was mainly going to use it for command line shit anyway.

youtu.be/hXDizTasY6A

They're shipping soon too. I don't know why they want to reinvent the virtualboy though.

That's really just a joke I think. Anyway it would be cool to get a really cheap 3g modem plan and use it for IRC and SSH and stuff since that uses such little data. Might even set up some kind of BBS clubhouse for other people that get one

They were going to do it as an April Fools joke, but then they discovered that it was easily doable. It's not very impressive, it's just a 3D-printed Google Cardboard-style viewer that clicks onto the Pocket CHIP.

that is /cyb/ as fuarrk

Most important question of all ITT:

Will it run Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition?

choose one

$179

$50-75

$200-300

Would it still fit within the same dimensions using trimmed down off the shelf parts? It could also double as a field monitor. I've seen several small UMPC builds done with typical pi boards but most of them are gimmicks.

PYRA BTFO

gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_364503.html

Where's the price? And it's still hardly any more powerful than an android tablet.

It seems to be a standard computer on the inside, so Linux should work fine. I hope they don't fuck it up with weird drivers though.

You've missed the point entirely.

Shit button layout.

Dragonbox Pyra:

Well it's thinner by 10 mm but larger as well. And there's a terrible OS that comes with it and Windows button on the keyboard. At least it has a full sized USB port.

PASS

kek

$300-330

Someone needs to make a keyboard/screen folding case to house a Pi3, that would be ideal for making a decent micro-handheld pc I think - Make it look like op / those sweet 80-90s tanks

Put some small speakers and a decent webcam & mic with a physical switch on it for ease of mind

Could think of a few cool more things that could be packed in, make it like a pocket 2-3lb pc that isn't too small to use, shit I'd by a dozen, I might have to do this

The guys at CHIP made a portable housing for it. It can't be that much harder to make something like it for the RasPi. If you want a clamshell version all you'd have to do is design a hinge
It doesn't look that hard to do. All you need is a board that fits on the Pi and gives you buttons to press and a screen. Here's a guy who made something similar with a Beaglebone Black youtube.com/watch?v=wj1T84orbeY

oohhh mann.. I want one of these.. Any idea what the resolution will be?

Reminds me of my old GBA

You can do better for under 100 bucks

Show me.

If I can actually run Linux without issue on it, I'm fucking sold

so the graphics driver is free software unlike the Pyra's PowerVR, but does it use proprietary firmware like post-Skykek Intel Graphics?

I guess the boot code is proprietary, unlike the Pyra.

And the most important question: does it include a Management Engine backdoor?

which one?

I caved and bought one of these with a video adapter a couple days ago

I imagine I could hook it up to a TV with SNES games on it and play with my low tech friends

youtu.be/A3LyKmAC_KU

First prototype video of the gpd

What would it entail to crudely make something like this yourself?

How much do you wanna bet it completely breaks when you try to install GNU/Linux on it?

If it supports Android and it supports multiple operating systems there's a decent chance you can run GNU/Linux. It would be worse with just Android, or just Windows 10.

But of course there's no way to find out until they ship the things.

A good ARM board for one. If you're looking to keep its gaymen functionality you'd need to shell out for something a bit more powerful than a Raspi or BBB. You'd probably need one of the more expensive ones like the latest BeagleBoard or something.

You could maybe take a keyboard from one of those old cell phones with physical QWERTY keypads, but there's a good chance need a pretty good grasp of C or ARM asm to write your own drivers for it. Also a good enough knowledge in electronics to get the damn thing to plug into your board somehow, which will necessitate soldering equipment and plugs and jacks and copper wire. You run the same chance with any screen or speakers you hack onto it.

Finally you'll come to the case. You'll need some way of crafting something capable of properly protecting all the sensitive components. There are probably people you can pay to do this part for you, because the equipment required for plasticsmithing is fucking expensive. Or maybe you can find an old UMPC case that just happens to fit it perfectly.

if you have to ask you probably wont...
jk, just go to ben heck's website and build a case/control surface for ARM device X

aliexpress.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-X5-Z8500-Windows-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2/32674665290.html
Just waiting for a review to see if it's worth it.

come on user, you're gonna need to half break the OS to get it where you want it

Sounds like a shekel shoah to me user. How big is it and why not just stick to my small netbook?

if it's able to run software chances are you can run GNU/Linux on it. The problem is you can't tell there will be drivers for all the bells and whistles that come with it. The Pyra on the other hand was designed for GNU/Linux from the start

I would wait till someone writes about porting GNU/Linux in one of those things and how's the experience with it.

new picsss

Looks sexy!

want

Case is almost done

I really wanted a pocket CHIP, but the website kept telling me that my billing address didn't match my zip code even though it clearly did, and now people are receiving their shipments already. I guess that means I missed the pre-order.

The fit and finish is gonna suck. The aesthetics on that unit are piss poor, not just in terms of how it looks, but things like a not batshit insane key layout.

GPD are pretty much the only chinese company that seems to give a shit, but that doesn't mean they're going to get their shit right the first time on a new product.

Into the trash it goes.

It would have been a bit better if the nubs were dark as the rest of the buttons/dpad, it also kinda looks like the nubs are a bit glossy too.

I read that the nubs are going to be black in the production run.

Does it run Steam?

That's disappointing.

comes with debian so probably but that processor

It's ARM, so no.

I'm guessing this is gonna be a kickstarter scam and there's no possible way this could be sold for the price they're planning?
$230 Lite $260 Hardcore

Lite edition-

Display: HD IPS 1290x720 [5.5"]

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 600MHz 16 cores

CPU: Intel Atom X7 Z8750 Quad-Core 2.56 GHz

Chipset: Intel Cherry Trail

Memory: 4GB DDR3

Storage: 64GB eMMC

Hardcore edition-

Display: QHD IPS 2560x1440 [5.7"]

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 600MHz 16 cores

CPU: Intel Atom X7 Z8750 Quad-Core 2.56 GHz

Chipset: Intel Cherry Trail

Memory: 8GB DDR3

Storage: 128GB SSD

pgslab.com/

I tried looking more stuff up and found this video. This guy seems autistic as fuck, but has a couple decent points. their video looks like some fucking infomercial scam product.
youtube.com/watch?v=v-ynkgaR3ZY

I found a Q&A and the people on here seem like suckers that will probably overfund the shit out of this before getting ripped off.
They're claiming people will already have the product March of next year.
reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4opa3g/we_are_pgs_lab_a_team_dedicated_to_making_the/

All right guys I just ordered one of the last Pandoras ever.

This shit better not be 100% meme-tier because with shipping and handling it came out to $280, and I'm still gonna have to shell out a little more for a yuro-to-burger wall adapter.

There's 4 left if you wanna let memes control your life like I do.

Pretty much, yes. I got the basic system with no video adapters.
The cool thing is that you have a multipurpose 3.5mm jack that you can use for audio only or video+audio. Use the included cable (or for a longer one buy either a typical digital camera 3.5mm AV cable, or three female-to-male RCA cables) and connect to your CRT for maximum comfy.
Wifi and BT are on board, so you can connect wiimotes or whatever BT controllers you have around for wireless gaming.

That article was posted in 4 B.I.
He knew not what he said.

Well, if it turns out no good, I'm pretty sure you can resell it fairly easy.

that's why

good vid, shit device

thansk man

Okay Holla Forumsnologists the Pandora is in.
Pic related for reference. It's the only good pic I could find of the controls and I'm not posting actual photographs of my shit on the internet for you niggers.
Some first impressions:

Firstly, it did come with a US wall-charger, thank fuck.

The distro it runs is called Super Zaxxon, which is a fork of Angstrom designed around the Pandora. The Pyra's distro will be based on Debian, so obviously there will be differences in the operating systems. But since the Pyra is this thing's successor and has a lot of the same team, the quality of Super Zaxxon may tell us something about the quality of PyraOS. I know it's possible to install another OS here, but since the hardware is so specific I may as well just stick for the distro that's designed around it unless it turns out to be unusably shitty.

The touch screen is resistive. The device comes with a nice little stylus that resembles the one that comes with a DS. But it seems like there's another way to control the cursor that I'm sure chinkpad fans might like: the left joystick is basically a big trackpoint. No way to click without the touchscreen though so far as I can tell.

The keys are reasonably sized, so even my fatass fingers can type without a problem.

For ports and controls besides the ones you can see: it's got one full USB port, two different kinds of mini/micro-USB I think, two SD slots, a volume wheel, a headphone jack, a right and left trigger for le gaymen, and a spring-loaded switch that doesn't seem to do anything.

So upon booting I'm greeted with a pretty wallpaper, a startup wizard, and Adwaita. The text is readable. It's telling me the DE it comes with is XFCE, and it also has a super minimul UI called Mini Menu. Some stuff it had me do was calibrate the touch screen and choose the CPU clock speed, which leaves me assuming I can find these things in the settings somewhere.

Dicking around with the settings now, enable wi-fi on startup is turned off by default. If this is going to be a shitposting machine, you need to turn that on.

Oh, and the only browser it comes with by default is Links. This is a slight problem for me because my building's wi-fi requires me to login through a website, and that website doesn't load without js. Will update when I've figured out how to internet on this thing if you're interested.

Whats the resolution on that screen? Can it plays hevc 1080p vids? Can it connect to a tv or another monitors?

pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyratech/

Download and run ttp://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=pndmanager-bzar

This part is actually turning out to be a massive hassle. I can hook it up to my phone's hotspot and get some ultra-shitty internet that way, but there's still the problem of actually installing shit with it.

There's a command line package manager called opkg that doesn't seem to have access to any sort of repository at all. So getting that graphical browser from there is out of the question.

Reading the guide, it told me that the preferred way to install packages is to download them from the user repository, put them on an SD card, and install them using a graphical program called PND Manager. So I went to go grab Firefox. Their Firefox is over ten versions old. But they've got the latest Palemoon, so I got that instead. So I plugged the SD card into the Pandora. But apparently PND Manager isn't actually pre-installed onto the machine; I have to install that using a shell script.

So I executed the script. But there's another roadblock: when the script tries to connect to the internet over my phone's ultra-shitty connection, it just doesn't even try. So I can't get the program that installs programs.

Okay, I just need to get a graphical browser so I can log into my building's wi-fi. I'll just compile some source code. So I grab a Qupzilla source tarball and put that on the SD card and put that into the Pandora. tar -xvf, ./configure, make. Oh wait, the Pandora doesn't have make. Or gcc. So the only way to install new software onto this thing is to install .pnd files with PND Manager, which I can't install.

I can understand minimalism, but leaving out the fucking GNU coreutils is just not acceptable. A functional package manager is also something one expects out of a distro, or at least any sort of way of installing software at all. So SuperZaxxon is pretty fucking shit-tier so far. Hopefully the dragonbox team does a lot better with PyraOS. I'm gonna try installing the PND Manager over my work's wi-fi tomorrow, and if that doesn't work I'm just gonna try flashing Debian ARM onto it; I'm not giving up on this thing that cost me fucking $280.

I can't install PND Manager from a .pnd file because I need PND Manager to install .pnd files, and I can't install PND Manager because the installation script won't play with my shitty internet.

Don't make things difficult bro.
Connect the SD to your PC (or use your pandora as a SD card reader with the micro usb port connected to the PC), download PNDmanager and put the pnd file in /pandora/apps/ on the SD

scam

Wow, that's pretty bad. I really hope they don't do that with the Pyra.

that's the plan man

I actually have a snakebyte controller it's shit I'm gonna go to play asia and get one of those SNES controllers

Nothing is stopping you from installing something else
pandorawiki.org/Pandian
pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware
pandorawiki.org/Gentoo
pandorawiki.org/RISC_OS

All right. So was right and I'm retarded. Installing shit is just a matter of pasting a .pnd file into the right folder of an SD card. It's kind of like AppImages in that all you do to install it is execute a file, and in that that the program doesn't perfectly integrate with your system. Not a huge fan of this method because it feels a little too much like like being tied to an app store like you would be with a smartphone in that you can only install software from this user repository, but at least I've figured it out now. There's a .pnd package that includes the GNU development tools, and I'll try that out for my make and gcc needs. There's another package that claims to allow you to install Debian to run side-by-side with SuperZaxxon, and I definitely wanna try that to have access to a real package manager with real repos. I think I can make it work now.

In other news, the battery is just barely too big for the battery slot, so it keeps popping the case up a little bit and falling away from the contacts just enough to spontaneously shut down the machine. I've fixed this problem with tape. It doesn't seem like a huge design flaw but it was pretty annoying to deal with.

For good news, I have found a way to click without the touch screen. The directions on the right joystick function like the buttons on a mouse. So you can use the left as a trackpoint and the right as your buttons and pretend you're using a mini thinkpad if you want.

Pandian definitely sounds like something I want to try to test out off of a live SD card. It's probably more similar to what PyraOS will be than SuperZaxxon is too. Thanks.

What model do you have? If its a 1ghz try xslash 3d to play half-life. I have a rebirth so I can only get 16-20 fps.

Pyra dev just mentioned on Twitter that 3D acceleration is done.

All they had left was the Rebirth, so no gaymen for me either.

All right you know how I said the battery is a little too big for the slot? Well it's also too small. What I mean is this: it's a little too thick for the slot so it pops out the case, but lengthwise it's also too short so it wants to slide around in the slot. Somehow the battery managed to fuck itself up - even with the tape - overnight. I wrestled with it some more to get it to stay put, but when it finally booted I had another problem.

The Pandora boots itself up every time the battery is inserted correctly. So as I was wrestling with the battery, the Pandora probably started booting and got shut down maybe a dozen times or more. This has fucked up the OS. It freezes on the boot screen for a couple minutes then switches to a TTY. When I try to log in from the TTY it fails and returns the message, "/bin/login: error while loading shared libraries: libpam_misc.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

So basically, because it kept booting and shutting down while I wrestled to make the battery stay put, a critical login file was deleted somehow. I'm gonna have to reflash Angstrom now or maybe try Pandian out. I'm not giving up on this piece of shit; it was too expensive for that. But not making the battery slot the same size as the battery is a pretty retarded design flaw on the part of the engineers; I'd say it's reason enough to be a little bit cautious about buying the Pyra.

Had the same problem as you, put a sim card or something of similar thickness between the battery and the battery cover just above where the battery connector should be, as for the OS just reflash Angstrom.
At least the pyra's case is not going to be built in china, so it should be a lot better.

Pi-top: you'll get it after 21 days, maybe

Pyra: pre-order

Pandora: out of stock

Android: plentiful and well designed, but not compatible with VFX Forth for ARM Linux.

miniNodes arm hosting: out of stock

Unixity arm servers: there's a waiting list

Chromebook: last hope. But these are so big.

year of arm linux when???

Looks like it's only growing to eat embedded competitors. Grow towards me, damnit!

ok, the asus flip is pretty nice. C100P.

Sorry fam but Jewtel is moving in to kick ARM out of the Chromebook market. They came out with a low-power variant of x86 called Baytrail and it's absolutely rekting ARM Chromebooks right now.

dem colorz

i hope that zen can serve as a good competitor to intel's low power cpus for small/cheap devices (like the cherry trail atom for chink tablets)

Clear confirmed

why does this still exist

Thank you, Chinese merchant. You truly are my greatest ally.

Jewgle pls go. The Dragonbox Pyra is this but with many times the amount of freedom and so many much less times the amount of Facebook, Twitter and botnet media integration.

And 6 or 7 times the price. I understand it's a limited run thing, but... ouch.

It's getting there...
At least it looks way better than the gpd win

That logo actually looks really nice when lit up.

very nice. I don't care about emulation, but I used a Zaurus for years and could do with something like that again.

now if only it were available for purchase...

Great, now give me one with windows.

Why does the keyboard look like that?

what is it

Overpriced low tech piece of crap.

Not anymore, but as a kid, playing Doom and Raptor on one of those things during boring road trips was the best thing.

I preordered an OpenPandora and never even got one. That was such a mismanaged piece of shit. I'm just gonna stick with an A9LH 3DS.

Surprised there isn't something like this available for purchase (enclosure only) for people that don't have 3D printer themselves and don't want to deal with the SJW cucks at their local "makers space" or whatever

blog.parts-people.com/2012/12/20/mobile-raspberry-pi-computer-build-your-own-portable-rpi-to-go/

The Pi-Top is like that. Heard that the keyboard wears out after a few months. Coincidentally the successor to the Pi-Top lacks it's own keyboard.

screen is too big, thanks though

They had a manager that fucked everything up with the OpenPandora and the icontrolpad2.

He has been fired.

If you've been burned though, might as well wait for it to become actually real.

pandorawiki.org/Openpandora_Ltd#How_to_get_refunds

Oh nice thanks for pointing me to that!

Thing is I don't really have a use case for those anymore, my 3DS works for portable games and I have a Libreboot system for all my day-to-day stuff. I'm also not that fond of ARM for running Linux on, they usually have blobs and messy driver trees.

That shady fucker Craig deserves to burn. I'm just glad I ordered with ED. I remember asking myself why the fuck Craig the Englishman with an English company wanted to be paid in dollars.
I don't know what your chances are at a refund, but I believe ED will sell you a Pyra at production cost if you want.

clear master race.

if they had purple clear ala game boy color i would pick that though

shame they named it the Double Penetration.

Well again I don't really need one anymore. I'm much more interested in OpenPOWER because there's not really enough freedom options in the higher-end.

stop pretending the reason you don't go isn't paranoia and fear of rejection: it's the first step to healing.

Some bluetooth gamepad with a built-in keyboard. Go to Aliexpress and search 'bluetooth gamepad keyboard'.

youtube.com/watch?v=BZcFnunrVGw

Can't fucking wait for this

Kewl, looks like a 16:9 GBA SP
wew

Allow me to push this up to the bumplimit

very nice

Mine arrived today.

The keyboard is annoying to use because the keys are tedious to press. The layout doesn't really matter much compared to that.

The screen resolution is low, but it's alright for terminal work. A small terminus font gets you 80 columns.

It could fit in my back pocket but it wouldn't be comfortable. It's not really a pocket device, despite the name. Still very portable.

The hardware is not powerful, but again, powerful enough for normal terminal work.

It actually runs Debian with a few packages from an extra repo, not a full derivative like Raspbian, which is nice. Getting rid of their weird launcher and running dwm was not hard, with only a few small setup issues (applying their ~/.Xmodmap to make their keyboard's FN work for example).

It comes with wifi, bluetooth and a USB port so you can hook it up to some things.

It comes with surf but I'm using qutebrowser now. A light keyboard-controlled browser is best for this.

I think he was referring to how irregardless isn't a real word, but if it was it would be a double negative.

Here for those who are more interested in the GPD Win, both prototypes next to each other.

wow user thank you

I wish it could go into tablet mode. And yeah, those xbox style buttons are disgusting.

yeah true that, I'm hoping to snag one on ebay for like $200 down the road.

would cell phone immediately to buy it if this ends up happening

Is that fucking Windows 10 running on a mobile device?
Doesn't it run like shit on pretty much fucking everything smaller than a Tower Desktop computer?
The one on the left looks so much better than the one on the right, but I honestly don't know if I'm going to be able to get the one on the left, so can I install Linux onto the GPD?