Does fullchan have a dpt?

I used to frequent the cuck/4/dpt/, but not going back to that shithole again? I heard about Holla Forums so I figured this might be a place to ask.

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/metatech/rules.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A "daily" programming thread gets created every-so-often. If you're used to browsing 4chan's /g/ as it has been recently then you'll probably notice that there are far more "generals" there than here. I'm not sure what has happened to /g/. In order to prevent generals/repetitive threads taking over there are two pinned threads (one for consumer advice and the other for stupid/genera; questions). If you have a project that you've been working on feel free to make a thread about. A general programming discussion may pop out of such a thread. There is also a board for programming called /prog/. While it is a slower board it seems to be picking up. I hope that helps :-)

Thanks user, that helps. I'm currently working through the OpenCV tutorials in C++ and just wanted to kick around ideas and snips, so yea.

I envision making something like Facerig, but without all the Steam and watnot heh.

Fuck off, redditard. You're the reason 4chan died.

OP here. What makes you think I'm a Redditor?

Why settle for a thread when you can have a whole board?

>>>/prog/

There's not enough users who are Holla Forums to be spreading them out like this. Holla Forums is slow enough to consolidate all of the other Holla Forums related boards into one.

Yean other user mentioned that too. Looks to be pretty slow moving, tbh. This user's idea seems legit.

reddit is basically an Holla Forums meme at this point

i like it. it's more like a bbs or something where you check back for replies hours later but it works

>reddit is a meme for years now
FTFY user. Yeah, I get that but you seemed certain I was part of it. I'm not fwiw

>>>/reddit/

nice meme

No Holla Forums is a board for retards to make 20 thinly-veiled browser recommendation threads.
They're the equivalent of phone threads because while people who go outside are interested in phones (the thing they use the most) autistic NEETs are interested in browsers (the thing they use the most.)

I can't believe I have to fucking spell it out but here goes:
The whole point of chans is ephemeral discussion. It ties into the whole anonymity thing. Archives are cancer in that regard as well. If something is worth conserving, a pic or a dump can be taken for that particular thing. This prevents correlation attacks, among many other possible deanonymizing attacks.

But ultimately the reason why chan discussion has to be ephemeral doesn't have to do with anonymity; these two aspects work in concert to foster a creative environment with fresh discussion. You're supposed to discuss a programming patterns, programming software, programming paradigms, programming languages or programming topics when something fun/new/undiscussed comes up. You're not fucking supposed to have a general at all because no real discussion happens there.

Other cancerous threads also includes any kin of recurrent threads "out of season" (it is natural that there's a ton of things to discuss about a specific topic when the topic has only now become relevant). Even if they're not general. The reason is the same. If it's something that has been discussed already and most people have already encountered that discussion, it's obviously no longer worth discussing.

But genralfags and repeatfags don't give a crap, because generalfags and repeatfags are from reddit, and they have no idea how chans work or what the point of a chan is in the first place. It's the reason 4chan has gone to absolute shit. It's the reason why Holla Forums has gone to absolute shit. It's the reason why there's no good imageboard anymore except futaba.

Fuck you, fuck reddit, and fucking kill yourself.

And yes, the correct way to deal with generals on an infinite creation chan is to fuck off into your containment board created precisely for the topic of recurring discussion. Keep reddit in >>>/reddit/ in other words.

OK, I can appreciate that user. cuck/g/ was pretty much that by the time I left it. But my question was really about anywhere on fullchan that might have something like a /dpt/, and I figured if you guys weren't the place, then someone here might know which board was.

Seems like /prog/ might be reasonable, but tbh is way too slow to suit my tastes. I'd hoped for something a little more like a slowish-moving chat back and forth. Not to hard to get on cuck/g/, but I can't stand what that has turned into smh.

is this pasta?

I imagine you actually meant that for me OP here and that's a great response. Sure, I'm fine with that line of reasoning. The only reason I asked about a /dpt/ was simply because it was an easy go-to place to find other coders.

If fullchan isn't that kind of place I'm OK with that too. I can shitpost on Holla Forums or /n/ contentedly when that's what I'm after. ATM however, I'm working through some programming concepts that are new(ish) to me, and
A) I'll never go back to cuckchan &
B) Wanted to kick around questions and ideas that are programming-specific.

But, I appreciate the response all the same.

Two words:

I have a number of projects I'm working on, but I think I'd be accused of blogging if I made a thread about my projects. What do you guys think? I really want to make Holla Forums great again.

Just post about them, you faggot. Worst that'll happen is that you knock a dead thread off the catalog.

I'm translating a dice roller I wrote from Perl into C. Next up is implementing dropping highest/lowest, explosions, keeping a certain number of dice, and a command line flag to output the roll as a pool.
#include #include #include #include #include #define MAX_MATCHES 3void init_rand(void);int match_pattern(const char*, const char*, char*);void process_roll(const char*, int*, int*, int*);int main(int argc, char *argv[]){ char *roll = argv[1]; //string containing a dice code int num_dice; int num_sides; int mod; int result = 0; init_rand(); process_roll(roll, &num_dice, &num_sides, &mod); for (int i = 0; i < num_dice; i++) result += (rand() % num_sides) + 1; printf("%d\n", result+mod); return 0;}void init_rand(void){ time_t t; srand((unsigned) time(&t));}int match_pattern(const char *pattern, const char *from, char *to){ regex_t regex; regmatch_t matches[MAX_MATCHES]; int num_chars; regcomp(®ex, pattern, REG_EXTENDED); if (regexec(®ex, from, MAX_MATCHES, matches, 0)) return 1; //no match num_chars = (int)matches[1].rm_eo - (int)matches[1].rm_so; strncpy(to, from+matches[1].rm_so, num_chars); to[num_chars] = '\0'; regfree(®ex); return 0;}void process_roll(const char *roll, int *num_dice, int *num_sides, int *mod){ char tmp[8]; match_pattern("([0-9]+)d", roll, tmp); *num_dice = atoi(tmp); match_pattern("d([0-9]+)", roll, tmp); *num_sides = atoi(tmp); if (match_pattern("(\\+[0-9]+|\\-[0-9]+)", roll, tmp)) *mod = 0; else *mod = atoi(tmp);}

This. If you want a thread about something just fucking post it. Who cares if a bunch of faggots talk shit, thats the whole reason to use an imageboard. Maybe you get a thread full of shitposting, maybe that shitposting turns into good on topic discussion. If it's too cancerous it will be deleted at worst. You won't know what you get until you try

Instead of shitposting, how about showing me a way to do it which isn't on the first tutorial I found?

RTFM, literally. rand()'s man page tells you not to trust modulus as the low order bits are not guaranteed to be very random. You have several options here, at least one of which is on the man page. srand() should be obvious, 1 second granularity is far too course and you create the risk of someone getting the same sequence more than once. Your code looks like it can easily run 100 times a second which might produce the same "random" result each time.

Dear God please,

I see too many posts expressing upturned noses and not enough explaining how to improve.

as far as I can recall executing modulus arithmetic on random floating point numbers does statistically reduce the randomness of the resulting number (something to do with integer round/cutting off of the decimal). as for the rand(), you've got me (not a career C programmer)

From man 3 rand. I don't see one sentence expressing warning against using modulo arithmetic in the entire man page.

i think we could really do with a /dpt/, but i dont think the board admin agrees

They're allowed. We've had them in the past. Why did you think they aren't?

Is there a misleading rule or something?
8ch.net/metatech/rules.html

Nice sage friendo :^)

After leaving this thread and taking a couple hours touring Searx, I found this method of seeding rand which is apparently a bit more random.
void init_rand(void){ struct timeval t; gettimeofday(&t, NULL); srand(t.tv_usec * t.tv_sec);}
As I posted here , man 3 rand tells us that Linux's version of rand has no issue with the lower order bits.

Have I appeased your dub dubs?

I think rand() in general isn't as random as random(), but Linux's C Library uses the same rng from random() and its ilk. It's a non-issue for the GNU/Linux platform. Probably better practice to use random() if you want hardcore compatibility between Unix-likes.

KIKEWHEELS FIX YOUR SHIT

i meant as a rotating thread like the stickies