Monochrome Dreams

At the suggestion of kind Anons I'm starting up a Mars Project thread to discuss our webcomic published by Unity Press Digital.

Ask us anything.

Monochrome Dreams is a Sci-Fi Neo Noir webcomic inspired by multiple sources about a pair of "synths", artificial life forms making their way in the world as troubleshooters for hire. When their reputation is put on the line, they go on the case to find the culprit and put things right.

Also, webcomics general.

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/co/res/585562.html
marsproject.black/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm assuming this is a joke thread or the worst handled promotion I've ever seen in my entire goddamned life. If it's the latter, my question is why is Sarah Bryant the protag of your comic and how much did you have to pay to use her?

Thank you for the kind words and pointing out my error. That's what I get for being exuberant. The advice of the anons was here:
8ch.net/co/res/585562.html

The webcomic is here:
marsproject.black/

I don't actually know who Sarah Bryant is, so that's well spotted. The more you know. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your no doubt busy day to point it out. I'm sure you have a busy schedule, and I'm sorry we took up so much of it.

I'm starting to think this is less of question and answer session and more of you hoping lots of people tell you how good your webcomic is. In that case, I'm sorry the marketing campaign for your webcomic isn't going as you'd hoped. I'll contribute another question. Why is the theme of 'They're lesbians and have sex with each other like all the time guys' being shoved in my face in this comic? Is that a stylized choice or the author's sexual frustration leaking out of the nose and ears?

I ain't even mad, just disappointed the immediate response to a thread isn't "could you give more information", or "you forgot the link", but being a complete chucklefuck. I don't like being called a liar either, but since you asked a serious question lets start fresh.

On the subject of "why are they lesbians who have sex all the time?" as the author I actually don't specifically want to get into the sex lives of the character. I would prefer work that is more centered in and around the action, comedy, and adventure angles. However, my editor and partner in the effort wanted to include certain motifs, and I didn't think it a reasonable response to pretend these characters don't have a sex life so the decision was made to be up front about it and get it out of the way. It is in fact entirely a stylistic choice.

Also, considering the characters are essentially androids, their sexual activities are entirely for amusement rather than procreative. In and of itself that's a nod to one of our inspirations, Ghost in the Shell, which also has sexually active androids. For these characters here it's defining that the girls work hard and play hard with perhaps a bit too much playing. It will inevitably lead them into trouble later on in the continuing story arc.

Seriously though, the comic itself is meh. The art could be better in some places but the lettering is sterile and makes the comic look pretty amateurish. I'm not crazy about the writing either.

If you could be more specific we'd love to incorporate your criticisms.

You should feel bad.

dude, one time someone linked their webcomic here and anons just had a normal good discussion about it. No AMA or attempting-to-act-all-professional bullshit, just a normal user sharing what he made and acting like a normal user. Just delete this thread and make a new one with "yo heres my comic niggers check it out" for a post body, it'll be much more well received.

That's not what he said though. The devil's in the details; and this thread is under the context of being some kind of Q&A session or AMA. That doesn't work because your webcomic isn't famous or recognizable. If a major force in the industry posted here, they'd have the credibility to make an AMA thread. But you don't. What I think you should have done is made a thread where you simply said "I made a webcomic, check it out". Don't try to dabble in fake pseudo professionalism, or try to make it a Q&A thread, but simply a "check out this thing I made" thread. A thread like that would've been much more well received and wouldn't be perceived as shilling.
Also, the fact that there's a link to a patreon page at the top of your site doesn't really help matters in terms of trying to not look like you're shilling or advertising.

Hey OP,
I'm enjoying the synth mercenary angle and hope we get to hear how synths fit in with the regular community, how they are manufactured, our man characters' backstories. A noir cyberpunk setting has a lot of potential.

Vlad gave me a couple sensible chuckles. I'm liking him so far. What exactly is he? He looks more mechanical than the girls.

There are some art issues. Backgrounds are kind of boring. I get noir has subdued colors, but it feels a bit drab. The girls look a little rough in places(especially the ass on Callista's ass in the naked apron scene), and something seems slightly off about their facial features in some panels. Also sound effects don't really mesh well with the art.

I like how you are using the radio as a way to do exposition. Interested in the Mars Enclave and the opening of the free market on Mars.

Not much else to say because there isn't a lot of pages. Hope you keep working on this, thanks for stopping by.

honestly it would look way more professional if you just fixed those fucking speech bubbles. They look weird as is. Maybe make them round, make the text slightly smaller or hand written.

I don't.

That's hilarious.

Thanks for the advice.

We do get into the particulars of Synths and where they come from later.

As for Vlad, whereas the girls are Synthetic life forms comprised of a mechanical chasis covered in artificially grown and manufactured nano-polymer muscle tissues, skin, and plasma suspension for blood, Vlad is a full body prosthesis. He was a human being, once upon a time, and had his brain put into a mechanical body for the glorious motherland. Which is another one of those stories for later.

Thanks for the critique as well, we'll see what we can do about giving the girls more physical fidelity and making the backgrounds a bit more engaging.

The bubbles and text are put together much later in development, but I'll see what we can do.

It looks sterile because the font used screams "web design" instead of "comic dialogue". And there's a reason speech bubbles are round. It's to differentiate them from captions.

I'm not expecting top-tier art from a webcomic, but it looks pretty lazy in some places.

So far, you have two Martian female bounty hunters who happen to be artificial humans in a world that doesn't take kindly to their kind. Oh, and they're gay for each other. Now they're meeting a Russian robotman for another job. It should not take three chapters to establish this.

Also, providing information that could be considered essential world building outside of the comic is also pretty amateurish, because most people aren't going to read blog posts when you want them to read your comic.

That's reasonable.

I can see that argument.

Again, I can see where you're coming from, although I may not agree. We'll certainly take it under advisement.

Holy shit, please tell me OP was samefagging because I've never seen such transparent advertising in a long time. This looks like one of those 'fan letters' comic books put at the end just to show how much people like it.

This is why no one ever comes to Holla Forums.

This has potential, but try to stay out of the lolsorandom xd humor like in this panel. Jokes should make sense in the context of the plot, and the narrative and the comedy should try to benefit each other. I like the 'casual conversation between characters' approach, but cmon op, you can make it sound less forced than this. and sorry for all the saging anons, a lot of people here are Holla Forumstards that perceive any discussion as da jooz shilling

Some of us have just become fed up over all the years over all the actual shilling on 4/co/. The amount of obvious advertising there is unbelievable, so when people like OP genuinely want criticism on their works people mistake it as more corporate bullshit.

True. A lot of us are refugees from halfchan or leddit, places where Holla Forums-related content are constantly advertised, so when a newcomer waltzes in and shows everybody his webcomic we can forgivably get overzealous about it.

OP calm down. If you weren't this new you'd know that the first reply to almost every thread here is a sage+fuck off. The decent people start coming in the next day. We're cynical fucks in that way,

he sounds calm

I thought there was a symmetry to it since earlier in the comic it had been the other character goofing in car. Its supposed to show that they're both fun people in their own ways. Still, thank you for the advice.

So noted, but even the trolls had some good points, it just took a few posts to get to them.

I don'r believe anyone said that or implied that escalation.