Holla Forums, why is she such a self-righteous asshole?

Holla Forums, why is she such a self-righteous asshole?

Although I guess the blue hair should have been warning enough.

Also, general BoJack Horseman thread.

>>>/reddit/

BOJACK DEATH WHEN?
O
J
A
C
K

D
E
A
T
H

W
H
E
N
?

you probably didn't understand A Van Jelly: On either

>>>Holla Forums

Alright then, let's talk about Star vs the Forces of Evil or Steven Universe for a change, you don't see those enough.

I think that's her natural hair color. Diane never struck me as anyone who would dye her hair. That would be Sarah Lynn.

I think it's because the intent of season two was to show Bojack as the straight man, or at least, him attempting to be one in the betterment of himself. This is shown to be a difficult transition for him, and not even a complete transition by the end, but showing Bojack's growth as a character. Diane on the other hand played the straight man in S1, and we see her relationship with Mr. Peanutbutter break down to a a certain point and her moral superiority to cause herself to crash, thus she takes Bojack's place in her failure as a character. This is where we see her faults magnified for sake of seeing her, not only in S1 as a sane functional character, but in S2 as a person trying to move through life and failing at her own desires, desires to be a good wife, desires to help the unfortunate, desires to be the morale compass as a way of getting back at her family, which she considers to be below herself. I think the self righteous part comes from her family and her being the only girl in a sea or masculinity. Instead of adapting to it and being one of the guys, or being a normal person, she adopted a contrarian persona to that environment, creating her 'individuality' and moral superiority.

Also, is right I think, IIRC her family all has blue hair.

It's dark enough that it's probably meant as a stand-in for black.

So she can break in the tears of her own failure in season 2.

Good. I just finished the first season and would love to have her realize she's just as shitty as everyone else.

Can't wait for bojack friends to turn on him after his ex accused him of raping her teenage daughter.

>insulting a character that embodies everything about hypocritical SJWs/Feminists who never ever wins. Ever.

Diane is victim of her ideologies and makes me laugh every time she shits the bed. Your thread is a shit.

Have you even watched the show? He doesn't have friends, he has victims and parasites.

Because she's insecure. She is someone with a past of complete lack of love, care and attention, probably because she was a girl among a complete family of dumb boys, and the amount of humiliation and rejection she received all this time made her consider all interactions with others as inherently aggressive or ultimately pointless.
She has beliefs of "feminism" and other shit like this in a place where most of the female characters in the show are the actually only ones with a shred of competence and self-reliance, because she has no goal, no role-model and no purpose. And this is something that haunts her constantly.

When she meets with Peanutbutter, she finds someone willing to just be happy and make her happy for the mere reason that making people happy is good. It's also in huge contrast with the self-hating, immoral, vapid and selfish man that Bojack is, making her also seek someone willing to give her the opposite so she doesn't have to kill herself over how miserable he is and makes others.
She's able to respect herself but she is still rather impressionable and worried about the image she sends people. Just like all characters in the show with even some relevance to the plot, she is broken and needs validation and cosmetics to fix what she cannot find to be happy. She's massively lucky to find someone like Peanutbutter, because he's precisely what she requires to not just fucking jump off a cliff : comfort, appreciation and encouragement. She needs a father figure, sure, but she just needs someone to tell her "hey, it's alright, you did your best".
It doesn't make her a good person, far from that; but it makes her someone whose flaws are justified.
Just like Bojack, or Princess, or even Peanutbutter himself.

Spoiler for season two if you haven't seen it :
there is an episode that many people get mad about, it's the one where she goes crazy about Hank having allegedly sexed up many, if not all of his interns. Thing is, she is very probably right. It's entirely likely he did do that shit.
But the point isn't that she's right, or wrong… the point is that there is nothing to do. The main character of the show is Bojack, not her, and this episode is still about him knowing and understanding this world, infinitely better than her -which is why he succeeded, and she is still as unaccomplished and empty as always.
Bojack keeps reminding her that she is doing everything for nothing. That she has to stop because the only result will never be anything but failure and disappointment. And it has nothing to do with feminism or rape culture or whatever bingo-card-word, it has to do with the fact that nobody cares about the result. No one.
People aren't watching because they want someone to win or lose. People are giving a shit because they're bored and they want this entertainment. She is just another figure on the TV screen and she has less make-up on than a TV star, so people are bound to root for her opponent.
It doesn't matter what is true or what is false. What matters is that this drama will have been forgotten in a week.
This episode is there to represent both the mentality of the show, that everything and everyone is a selfish bastard who's in it to hide their sadness thanks to trinkets and idiocy; and to showcase her frustration since forever.
She is a lonely woman whose biggest accomplishment is the story of other people. She is frustrated she isn't going to that big, "important job" over to Kordovia, and she feels trapped in a marriage that gives her everything except being her own person. So she invents herself a cause that she subconsciously entirely knows is bound to bring her nothing but pain, bound to fail, because she just needs something, SOMETHING that will give her meaning and strength. "I can help others !", she cries while helping absolutely no one.
She is perhaps even more broken than she was in the first season, because this time she tries to do things and entirely fails. She isn't just a "voice of reason", she is genuinely crazy and childish sometimes, just because she cannot face herself in the mirror.
There's an episode before that where she tries to save a chicken -and she does that because a TEENAGER pressures her into it, by the way, see how weak-minded she is to other people's words-, and she feels accomplished for having done nothing, helped no one and changed nothing.
This is the prevalent point of the entire show : "you cannot change, if you are a bad person, the world is bigger than you and your only choice is to drown in it, or disappear"
She is wrong not because "muh rape culture", but because "I'm begging you, I'm worthless, just give me something, anything so that even for a minute, I will matter".
But she won't.

That was an excellent, thoughtful post. I really appreciate that you didn't rely on buzzwords and actually analysed the character in depth.

I apologise for being unable to being unable to respond with anything more than a simple 'thank you'.

Well my post was still a tl;dr on an anonymous imageboard so yeah, it was sperging in its own sense. But I'm glad it pleased you, user.
It's something I thought about for a while after the "he's a rapist !" episode. Many anons went off about this episode being the worst because it painted things as it being totally about SJWs being right or feminism being important or whatever, and these surface-reading opinions never sat right with me, because they seemed to ignore how, overall, Diane wasn't merely just about this one episode -she's developed a lot in the other ones as well, and they're part of the same show after all. So people were trying to ignore the rest of her just because she was saying things they didn't like.
And in a way, it's kind of the point : they merely cared about her being proven wrong, instead of understanding why she was proven wrong, why she tried to be right and, even, why they felt the way they did watching her go on this crusade. They were just other people part of the audience who stopped giving a shit about what actively and actually mattered. Either the safety of female interns, punishment for an asshole, a crooked incompetent media, despicable people in it for profit or self-validation -all of this was irrelevant, all that mattered was "well she is a cunt because she's saying things I find dumb !" (which is true, she did say stupid things, but this isn't why she fails)
They forgot that Bojack is still the main character of the show, to whom we relate to the most, and that not once was he thinking it was a good idea to do all that. It wasn't even that he didn't believe she was right. He supported her; but he supported her "right". Meaning, he knew that the only real "useful" thing to do was to care about her own sanity, because trying to vanquish a celebrity was going to break everything, and nothing else. So in the end, he gives in and says "yeah, I'm in", but still knows that aside from giving up, there is nothing to do.
All Diane wants is someone to say "I agree, you are right, you helped". It's not a sane and positive way to do things… and that's why she runs away to that godforsaken place, where she is forced to LOOK AT HERSELF AS WHO SHE IS, and see that she gives such selfish craps about herself when the rest of the world is in such a state of misery and destruction.
She realizes that the life over at Hollywoo is such a tiny and useless microcosm of the planet, and that people care about their tiny life instead of realizing that there is the rest of the fucking earth out there, and that cordovians wouldn't even be able to imagine a life where the worst time in a day is the fact that your husband threw you a surprise birthday party.

And thus, like any normal human being, she goes through a huge nervous breakdown of having to face reality and who she is : no one, who can't deal with the harshness of the real world outside of her marriage and small world.
Everyone in the show spends their life lying to themselves about what matters so they don't have to see who they are.
Hell, it's the show's entire morale. Said out loud by this random runner. "It gets easier. But you have to do it every day. That's the hard part".
Why am I fucking spouting off like I'm writing a shitty book

Since it comes up in the context of "aren't you a bad person for exposing Bojack's flaws" I just assumed she pushed the issue so hard because she wants to validate her counter argument of "I'm not a bad person for exposing a celebrity's flaws because they are all flawed, like Hank for example"

I want you to become a professional writer/reviewer

I also believe you oughta get therapy due to the fact you're putting this much analysis on a imageboard thread that'll eventually die and disappear.

So will everything else, user. Few things are permanent, why discriminate?

I'd love to be actually user, but depression doesn't make one very productive to be honest; really grateful for the compliments though

If she thinks she's having an existential crisis now, just wait until she realizes she's in a cartoon.

now do some other relevant character

Oh, since this thread has come up, what are the general opinions on this show?

I watched it and enjoyed it. The first season took a bit to grow on me, and the cheap political shots sucked, but the ending episodes of season 1 and pretty much most of season 2 were really good. I think I'm just a sucker for depressing black comedy with existential crisis added in.

Also, best theme song.

Can you do a thing with Mr.penutbutter. I couldn't handle all the dog puns so I just kinda tuned out whenever he appeared on screen.

at least spend the time to make a creative insult. all you did here was splice a part of the show's name then put it after reddit, you lazy motherfucker. step up your insult game.

Because she's a woman.

These silly cumskins, amirite?

Not him, but don't worry user, i'll give you one:

Mr. Peanutbutter is a blithe happy moron. He's the only one who doesn't suffer from his fame because he's too dumb to feel the pressures of it.

He's basically a dog.

According /furry/ fan theories and character analyst. Mr peanutbutter is closeted gay and always in love with bojack. That's why Mr peanutbutter so loyal to bojack horseman.

That just sounds like an excuse to shove a horse cock up his ass.

Yeah, nah, he ain't gay, he's just carefree. He's a character meant to represent the very opposite of what is supposed to be common sense, he's rather empty-headed, naive and easy to please.
He's a guy without a fully-developed personality because he needs everybody's appreciation and affection to feel good and happy; thing is, he actually deserves those, because he's pretty fucking good at making people happy.
His relationship with Bojack is tense simply because they're such polar opposite. Nobody likes Bojack, no one wants to be him or to be with him, except maybe for a quick lay that won't even get the girl to notice he had it inside (if he did have it inside); Peanutbutter seeks "profound" relationships, ones that will give him meaning and comfort (sometimes not realizing he's ended up with a selfish shithead who only uses him to get half his possessions once they divorce). Bojack is hoarse, mean-spirited, selfish and cynical; Peanutbutter is happy-go-lucky, joyful, altruistic and open-minded. Bojack is alone, massively, tremendously, entirely alone, and pretends he totally doesn't care; Peanutbutter always has many, many, many people around, but the very second he's on his own, his world shatters and he stops even caring about anything.
More than that, Peanutbutter's very career exists because of Bojack's, since his show was a massive plagiaristic crappy copy of Horsing around. Which isn't saying much about the level of quality of Horsing around either, but shows how, in the end, Peanutbutter exists only through others, because of others. Alone, he is no one, he's nothing.

In the first season, there's an interesting episode where Peanutbutter showcases a lot of drive and determination, it's when Bojack openly is fighting for Diane's love. The dog refuses to back down, even though we never knew him as someone willing to bother with this kind of egotistical drivel; but if it's to keep the person he cares for around, he's ready to jump in front of a car. He's a loyal dog, he is. Yet, in the end, he loses, admits defeat… and simply takes his girlfriend back home. Which proves there was no point nor purpose to the entire ordeal, that served only to bother and depress Diane, and caress both of those guys' egos.
And then he fucking steals the D of Hollywoo affair, the ASSHOLE.

Then in the second season, we face a deep, lonely, weak dog.
In the gameshow episode where he confronts Bojack about kissing his wife (I fucking love this episode, holy shit that last part was profound genius), he does so (while still playing his part of gameshow host) as a mature and hurt man, who is somehow still afraid the friendship and love he shares with Diane and Bojack are flimsy and could disappear any day. He's pressured into forgiving Bojack to present how Bojack's girlfriend is… kind of a manipulative selfish harpy as well when it's about show business, but Peanutbutter would have forgiven him anyway. Because it means HE has now some pressure put onto both Diane and Bojack : "I still love you after what you've done to me. You two ungrateful cunts better be fucking thankful I didn't drop your asses live in front of millions of watchers".
In the episode about Diane's birthday, he is shown as rather selfish, and yet completely selfless. He spent the entire day doing precisely what she wanted, and he offered himself a hinge of pleasure with all of their friends around to enjoy it, blind to the fact that his wife was going through a much too rough patch to deal with socialization, and that surprise parties weren't really her thing in the first place. And so they argue, because none of them listens to the other one… until they finally do, and understand, and accept each other's pains and flaws. As lovers are supposed to. The entire episode is about Peanutbutter listening but mishearing : "I'm sure she'd love a starbucks in her own house, I mean she did say she loved going to those good coffee shops !", or "here's a ball room just for her ! That's what she mentioned, right ?" He loves her, he adores and cherishes her, but somehow -and it's not his fault, it's the nature of humankind, not being able to be other people, to read their minds; Huis-clos by Sartre is the obvious must-read on this topic- he sometimes misses the point and makes her disappointed he "merely" tried to make her happy, you know, like at christmas when you ask for Diablo II and grandma got you Diablo III. It's not her fault, she couldn't know, but fuck's sake, this isn't what I asked for -no one asks for Diablo III, or at least should. And so they are forced to realize that, as people, they have this distance that can never be vanquished. They love each other but there will be forever something that pulls them apart. All they can do is walk together in the same direction nonetheless.
And then there is the very end. Peanutbutter has been spending all this time alone, well, not completely alone, but… when he goes back home, there is no one there for him. And it's been explained how empty and full of ennui he is. And then he finds out she's been spending those weeks, MONTHS, even, away from him… lying to him. He has been all alone… for nothing.
And then, he calls her, and somehow, with his usual kindness and candor, he forgives her even before she asked forgiveness. He tells her he loves her and that what matters is that he's there for her and she's there for him. She doesn't even have to explain, the door's open and it's her home, always. And she has spent all this time suffering and selfish and self-hating and guilty, and this dog… this dog takes her back, loyally and lovingly, because it doesn't matter she left, what matters is that she'll be back. And people like this are a MIRACLE, especially in a world like Hollywoo.

Peanutbutter is someone who would be ready to let the world burn if it meant never being alone once in his life. And maybe fear of loneliness is the only road to kindness and love. Maybe we love other people simply because if we didn't, they would have no reason to stay. After all, love is what happens when you find someone whom you believe is there to make you happy.
So in a way, he's a selfish person as well. And it's a good thing he is, because without him, too many people would have never known happiness and love.

One last thing though : I mentioned at the beginning that he doesn't have a "fully developed personality". When you are all alone, the only person you are spending time with is yourself. When Peanutbutter is with himself, he's still with absolutely nobody.
And that's who he really is. Someone who likes himself only around people he likes.
Otherwise, he's just like everybody else. Someone who needs, NEEDS ways to look at anything but himself. Hell, he's an actor. Not just professionally, no, no, he's an actor in real life. He's obviously a clever and mature guy who's lived enough to understand and help, and yet his outward behaviour is of a silly old goon whom everyone thinks is so silly and fun teehee.
But that's not him and that means that everybody who loves Mr Peanutbutter loves someone who isn't him.
You bet your ass you feel all alone.

Why am I writing this shit why the fuck am I doing this do I seriously crave the attention that fucking hard from Holla Forums of all places holy hell

CRAWLING IN MY SKIN THESE FEELS THEY WILL NOT HEAL

You, Codemonkey and select people from /tg/ are the only namefags I can stand on this website.

Gotta say, love the analysis myself.
Big fan of the show, so it's pleasing to see others that can really articulate a powerful summary like that.
Fucking 3 AM and I'm reading about an anthropomorphic dog's qualities as a being.
thx m80

You say that like if that's a bad thing.

Glad you liked it.
If you guys like deep and painful personalities played for laughs even though they're obviously broken and destroyed minds, you definitely should try Moral orel. The first season is mostly silly "haha fucking religious nuts, america sure is crazy, ain't she ?", then you get into the second and third seasons and you get fucking WRECKED.
Poor nurse… poor nurse… she just wants to be loved…

I used to watch it quite some time ago, was probably too young/stupid to really pay too much attention to it.
I'll give it a whirl sometime today Thanks for the recommendation.

That's exactly what happens.

Moral Orel is great, I'm rewatching it at the moment.

I think this points out something big which is the loss of subtlety in modern storytelling. We don't have any scenes with a underlying meaning anymore because everything has to be in-your-face obvious or else people wont get it, and people wont get it because they became numb to all this in-your-face obvious storytelling that started as a novelty and quickly became the norm because its much easier to write

Is the "evangelion effect", countless idiots became obsessed with the series trying to decipher the obscure religious symbolism and fringe science when the whole show was about depression, hikkis and modern japanese society

At the same time while not all BHM characters are like her and many do have the in-your-face obvious writing, but you can't do that shit with this character because she's a parody of SJWs so you have to make it subtle because SJWs being vapid shallow idiots wont get it and thus wont raise the usual ruckus like they always do when someone is making fun of them, which is really easy to do given that the average SJW is an idiot loser that only follows that ideology in the hope that they wont be considered idiot loser anymore

Just like Diane

I come to IBs for stuff like that, every other site is full of buzzfeed-tier shit commentary on stuff

You know you could go right now to medium or wordpress or any other free blog site and just paste all this stuff there right?

So it doesn't gets deleted

Yes and no. I'd say a lot of that lack of subtlety, "in your face"ness is due both to being "numb" indeed, but also a lot simply because it's much more satisfying to be given something simplistic and self-validating. "Haha they punched the guy's face because he was being [thing I don't like/thing I hate/thing I find abhorrent], haha ! So cool !"
The audience is mostly at fault, to me, because it's seeking quick and easy gratification instead of critical and complex philosophy. Which is difficult to grasp, sit through and accept. It's something you see in literature (people prefer reading twilight or hunger games than classics or even new competent books), in cinema (blockbusters are so obviously what everyone gives a shit about that even indies now are trying to imitate them instead of creating their own universes or ideas), music, etc. "Mainstream" audiences want easy to digest factoids that still allow them to turn their brain off for a few seconds because their twitter app just dinged (not even kidding, most big films/shows these days literally have parts with "calmer" moments specifically to give the audience a small time off to check facebook), and complexity and personality make those things difficult.
So to a crowd that is incapable to relate with characters that aren't either absolutely void of personality or absolutely identical to them, it's difficult to expect them to even be able to sit through more than fifteen minutes of anything that requires they care.
I'll say however that I'm thankful I'm French because I have access to billions of culture pieces, from all over the world, so… yeah, makes it much easier to be artistically critical when you're given so many opportunities to learn.

What for ? Nobody would read it. I'd rather write it for ephemeral audiences that will remember than for non-existent people that will forget the moment they get to another site.

So that the 5-6 people here who enjoy what you've wRittenhouse can see it again or share it with others

And as you write more on IBs, you can keep it somewhere the rest of us can see it. It's quality.

And most of us are in IBs for the exact reason most sites don't have people with this level of analysis.

If you like the posts so much, why don't you just screencap them or copy paste them into notepad or something? You'll always have them, and you can always share them when you feel like it.

I'd advise hiding the name in the cap, though. It'll make many people (understandably) sperg out.

By the way, when's season 3 supposed to come out ?

I don't think anybody knows, but S1 came out in August and S2 came out in July. Odds are it'll be in the next few months.

Nobody would read it? Dude, I just added you synopsis on Mr. Peanutbutter to my collection of quotes specifically to make sure I DON'T forget it.

Goddamn, Season 2 really picks up on the drama.

I love it.

For all this talk I wish Diane had more of a nervous breakdown if she realized her dreams were a lie.

can we make a bojack horseman bringo card? I have feeling season 3 will be hijack by a transgenderism bullshit subplot.

Any more of a nervous breakdown and that's called suicide, user.

As long as they do it more intelligently than the powerpuff girls reboot, I don't mind.

You do know that won't please tumblr right?

I know that, and you know that, but Suits gonna keep trying to reach for that audience, thinking they actually watch shit rather then just reblog and demands to be pandered to.

I hated that episode because in reality as soon as allegations of sexual misconduct come up the celeb accused gets destroyed by the media. Portraying Diane's position as the "underdog" in this scenario was blatant bullshit. She would have had entire networks backing her up.

They are parasites that make his life a living hell he tries his best to make friends but since he's been through so much shit in life he knows in the end they will betray him

Screw every single one of them

BOJACK IS AN AMAZING FRIEND INDEED
WHAT AN ALTRUISTIC PERSON WITH A HEART OF GOLD
ALL THOSE PEOPLE AROUND HIM WHO WERE WILLING TO SUFFER THROUGH HIS SELFISH ILL-NATURED MEAN-SPIRITED CYNICAL BEHAVIOR ARE INDEED ABSOLUTE PARASITES AND ASSHOLES I AGREE

It's not because he's a faggot, it's because he's a fucking DOG…who may or may not see Bojack as his master because Bojack is forever telling him what to do and where to go.

I would love to read all that, but I just realized you're a namefag, and so you will now be filtered.