Ubuntu Mate Thread

Ubuntu MATE is a stable, easy-to-use operating system with a configurable desktop environment. It is ideal for those who want the most out of their computers and prefer a traditional desktop metaphor. With modest hardware requirements it is suitable for modern workstations, single board computers and older hardware alike. Ubuntu MATE makes modern computers fast and old computers usable.

Ubuntu MATE has a number of guiding objectives and goals.

The MATE Desktop is one such implementation of a desktop environment and includes a file manager which can connect you to your local and networked files, a text editor, calculator, archive manager, image viewer, document viewer, system monitor and terminal. All of which are highly customisable and managed via a control centre.

MATE Desktop provides an intuitive and attractive desktop environment using traditional metaphors, which means if you’ve ever used Microsoft Windows or Apple Mac OS, it will feel very familiar.

The MATE Desktop has a rich history and is the continuation of the GNOME2 desktop, which was the default desktop environment on many Linux and Unix operating systems for over a decade. This means that MATE Desktop is tried, tested and very reliable.

Remember to donate.

ubuntu-mate.org/donate/

Xfce can do literally everything MATE can do while being more customizable and having a lot more features in addition.

MATE is a purposeless meme DE whose only niche is appealing to GNOME fanboys too afraid to try out anything not closely related to GNOME.

/thread

To be fair, there are less people developing XFCE lately. It will take forever XFCE moving to GTK3.

Take the systemdick out of your distro, then we'll talk

I agree Xfce is much better. MATE was my first DE and I really liked it. It's a tad lighter than Xfce and has most basic features. It's kind of nostalgic too.

I'm highly indifferent towards that, but Wayland support may be a different story.

systemd is good

Cinnamon is better than both MATE and Xfce

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
PIRACY IS THEFT
PICK UP THAT CAN, CITIZEN

I tried it in a VM. It's really very good. The software boutique is excellent, and MATE tweak has some nice themes. Also comes with Compiz (disabled by default) if you like that sort of thing.

For a distribution with Mate and no-systemd, you can choose Manjaro OpenRC/Gentoo/Void Linux

Can I use apt with any of those?

Are you asking because apt is what you're used to, or because it has features you can't live without? If it's the first one, learning a new package manager won't be hard.

I like the availability of .deb packages and apt is the best way to handle them.

Manjaro has access to AUR and if I remember correctly, Manjaro already has an application access it which is a community library of software.

A pity that's not what I asked for at all

You asked for availability of software, and that exits outside of Debian.

No, I asked for a way to handle .deb packages and I didn't get it. Sage because this is getting extremely autistic.

Cinnamon is even more hilariously gimped and less customizable than MATE, I have no idea here people get this crazy notion. Cinnamon is basically representative of all the insulting changes to options that Microsoft has made to Windows starting with Vista; it doesn't feel like you can do fucking anything in it because it doesn't respect your intelligence for tinkering, trying to hold your hand the entire time so you don't make a booboo.

no
>>>/reddit/

Found the autistic Arch user.

Ubuntu a shit.
Debian is love Debian is life

There's debtap you can use for Manjaro users that can handle deb package. Is not that hard to use.

Or you if you hate Arch so much and don't want systemd, you can go download Antix.

Devuan Xfce mustardrace!

meant for this reply

devuan is by far the worst distro

It's literally just debian without systemd with some slightly modified packages

So you're saying devuan is second worst, saved by not having systemd?

Yes, because Linux Mint and Ubuntu are better distros
:^)

As i remember 4.14 will have full GTK3 support.