Why haven't you installed Linux Mint yet, user?

Why haven't you installed Linux Mint yet, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/PkOUe
howtoforge.com/how-to-install-xfce-on-linux-mint-14
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'd like to go ahead and try out some other distros, but I'm been using Mint for years, and it seems to do what I need it to. The only other one that I remember using and actually liking was Crunchbang. There may have been others, but whatever. Mint works fine. I don't want to go through the bullshit of setting up Arch or Gentoo.

>pic related

Linux Mint is an insecure distribution due to kernel security updates being disabled. Get Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu.

MATE is gay as fuck.

Works good on my machine. The Caja file manager has the best thumbnail generation too. Looks good in compact view at 200% zoom.

you can re-enable them in the update manager and get all the same updates you would in Ubuntu. They're just disabled by default because Mint is meant to be used as a desktop distro, not for servers, therefor stability usually outweighs security.

I know that but they really should be turned on by default because it's the most used distro. I have no problems on Ubuntu with kernel updates and you can easily roll back if a problem arises in GRUB.

I just hate the faggy apple-esque aesthetic. I'm sure it works fine.

Fuck that. I completely dropped Ubuntu as an option once they switched to that unity shit. I wasn't fond of them including the Amazon botnet shit in recent distros, either. No sense in even trying other Ubuntu distros that just have a different desktop.

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu (unless you are using Debian Edition). They no longer have Amazon on by default in 16.04 vanilla Ubuntu (you can move the bar to the bottom now). Other editions have never had the Amazon search suggestions and are from different developers.

That's precisely why they don't have them turned on though. It's meant to be babby's first linux system. For a group trying to produce a 'mainstream' (read: non-autistic) distro with the target demographic of normies fed up with windows/macos looking for an easy-to-use OS, it makes sense to weigh stability above security. I'm sure they're just trying to protect against idiots who would complain loudly and damage their reputation if a problem arose instead of trying to fix it.

Well that's good to know.

I assume most of you are tech competent. I just think Linux Mint is not a good option if you know a thing or two. If you don't like Ubuntu distros then there's always Fedora.

Feel free to explain instead of making statements with no supporting evidence.

Such as life living in Seattle Washington, the LGBT capital of America, isn't it OP?

They've never been good with security. Even a dodgy ISO was put on the website at one point.

Can you post a source for that or at least give me something more specific to go on?

Their website was hacked. Just read their blog.

don't fucking remind me.

I love the weather though. Pacific Northwest is comfy as fugg

Oh I actually agree with you, it's not a good choice if you care at all about security. I just prefer it to most other distros I've tried, and I don't do anything on this machine I'd be worried about compromising anyway.

archive.is/PkOUe

Because I want to play games, faggot.

What are you, 12?

I run linnucks, but not Mint.

If I have to install multiple OS, what's the fucking point? If I have one OS that does everything I need it to do, why would I fucking bother switching to another OS, just to have to multiboot to do the shit I want to do? It makes no sense.

Dis man has a point, i run mint on my shitty kitchen laptop for googling over some coffee.

the real pc is on windows.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Windows, is in fact, NSA/Windows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, NSA plus Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another proprietary component of a fully functioning NSA system made useful by the NSA corelibs, spyware utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by Steve Ballmer.

Many computer users run a modified version of the NSA system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NSA which is widely used today is often called Windows, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NSA system, developed by the NSA.

There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the NSA operating system: the whole system is basically NSA with Windows added, or NSA/Windows. All the so-called Windows distributions are really distributions of NSA/Windows.

Does Linux support a Mouse by default or is the command line your primary way to navigate your computer ?

I want some of whatever youre taking

you can do it either way

Linux doesnt have to look like some kind of autistic 1337 haxxing OS.

There are different flavors of Linux- Linux Mint being one of them, alongside Ubuntu and Arch.

Ubuntu is a Mac OSX clone, while Arch is just a Holla Forums meme.

Linux Mint isn't all that much different than Windows, or other traditional desktop environments interface-wise.

Just try it out.

0/10

What are some good linux distros for lower spec systems that arent utter shit?

By that i mean, still support modern browsers, plugins, flash, webm, hd video and shit. But dont waste resources on stupid shiny window animations and login screen background animations like mint does.

You have to shift the kernel bytes by hand like a pr0, nigger. Do you even Linux?

You're pretty much describing Arch. Go for it and don't listen to ubuntu and mint fags. They're cancer.

DESKTOP WALLPAPER PLEASE
I use mint as well but I have more customization and a top bar

I'm not going to throw this guy into the sea of maintenance and compiling that is Arch until he has at least tried out something more basic.

If he wants to waste several hours optimizing his os to his hardware then by all means, but this is the kind of shit that scares people away because its a pain in the ass.

You could still use Linux Mint. A distro is just a compilation of programs and configurations. This includes things like the file manager/navigator, and default programs like firefox.

When you are referring to Mint's shiny decorations and background animations and shit, you're really referring to Mint's DE (Desktop Environment): Cinnamon.

Linux Mint XFCE is a good low-spec DE alternative.

Although it depends on how "low-spec" your computer is.

I did and it was good for about 1 month until shit started breaking at random and I didn't know enough about GNU+ to put it back together again.
I really want to make the move to GNU+ but it doesn't support my flight stick of any of my sims.

I also use mint but there is no search bar when I try to find files and I have to go folder by folder every time.

is there anyway I can get that in mint?

core 2, 2 gigs of ram. posting from mint right now, but its pretty irritating and tends to choke up.

pic related, Linux Mint Cinnamon on my Laptop.

There is a high possibility of shit going wrong when getting into Linux from the beginning. Things as simple as the installation, hardware compatibility, or shit just not working,

Linux Mint and Ubuntu are probably the best starting distros because there you don't need to be an expert, and there is a large enough community there to help you when shit fails.

Arch has a community too, but you have to be a bit more Holla Forums literate. Some people don't have the time to waste.

Chances are you're using Cinnamon, which on low-spec computers is kinda bloated.

Yeah sounds like XFCE would be better for you, should be in the default repositories.

There are a lot of fairly simple guides to help you install it. Here's one.

howtoforge.com/how-to-install-xfce-on-linux-mint-14

If it's still slow with XFCE, then maybe Mint just isn't the Distro for you.

I think LXDE is another DE you could try with Mint if XFCE doesn't work.

There's a lot of trial and error when working with Linux. Good luck getting your shit to work.

If you want to use Xfce, you might as well install Xubuntu since Mint is pretty much a restyled Ubuntu.

It was my understanding that Mint was a bit more lightweight compared to Ubuntu, outside of the default DE for both?

Thinking about making the Arch switch, but LXDE or LXQT ?

Mint is pretty much Cinnamon, not much else to it. Ubuntu sans Unity (i.e. Ubuntu server) is actually quite lightweight, I've had it running on fairly old/weak computers and VPSes without any trouble.

I have used Xubuntu for a while as well, Xfce is a good DE and very lightweight.

LXDE is more popular, so its likely to have more support and be more polished.

I would go with LXDE first.

Baby's first customization. Gotta rice everything up to the max amirite OP?

I'm surprised you don't have conky showing you useless system stats on half of the screen

I don't think there's a way to search an entire drive from the file upload menu. You can search within a folder by doing ctrl-F though, or just search in the regular file manager and copy the file path into the upload window.

I also have two digital clocks on my desk, an analog on my wall, a watch, and two clocks displaying at all times on my phone.

Because Linux looks like a piece of shit tbh

you should see my old windows desktop

It's Mount Corcoran by Albert Bierstadt.

I use Linux Fedora because muh full GNOME 3 experience.
also yum > apt-get

puppy linux isnt half bad. really lightweight and the entire OS fits on a CD with plenty of room to spare. im using mint but puppy would definitely be my second choice.

points for effort but that's a really poor attempt at customization user. Your desktop background doesn't even fit your fucking screen res.

Daily reminder that Mint holds back security updates. Try Xubuntu insteadg

Is openSUSE any good?

I've always been interested in trying, literally just because I like the logo. That chameleon is rad.

I've been using Mint for a few months. It's pretty neat. I installed XFCE because Cinnamon was a bloated shit on my toaster.

That is a pretty rad chameleon

yep, you're from Holla Forums all right