Are Raspberry Pi's open hardware?

One simple question...
Are Raspberry Pi's open hardware?

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/blog/a-birthday-present-from-broadcom/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No.

No. The bootloader and firnwares are closed.

Can you download schematics for the chips from their site in a standard format? Then no.

No. Also they give your dog cancer.

No.

ok

OK then one more simple question: are there any alternatives to RP that are?

No.

Allinner boards?

Or pretty much all other ARM SBPCs every fucking made that's not Qualcomm, Nvidia, or Samsung

Well at least that's something to go on, thx.

Nonsense, ARM is not free or open.
As of now, there are no open cpus.
Soon however, lowrisc.org

No.

How dare you question the progressive resume of the Raspberry Pi, you shitlords?

It's so open that it allows refugee code to enter its registers without any of that racist background check nonsense.

It does not allow refugee code to enter it's registers. They are Broadcom closed-source proprietary. Also their add-on boards for the pi all say "copyright raspberry pi foundation" on them. If you copy their board configuration then they will sue you.

The ones that allow refugee code in are the Allwinner A10/A20, the Freescale iMX6, and the Texas Instruments whatever the Beaglebone black is. This is not necessarily by the manufacturer's choice but by hackers who've had to break their way in.

Allwinner is the best/most lax of all for this, so buy Allwinner. The boards including it are Banana Pi, Banana Pi Pro, a bunch of Cubieboards (you need to check which ones) and Olimex LIME.

All of them are old now and I don't know where the Allwinner hacking community is upto. Maybe they've moved onto A53 by now. I don't know and I can't be bothered checking.

I changed my mind and checked. They're working on Allwinner H3 and hoping to floss it (Orange Pi is one example using it) but it's only running stable at 648MHz when it's supposed to run at 1.2GHz.

You could buy an Orange Pi and hope that they eventually fix it perhaps.

Anything by olimex is open source hardware, but I don't know if you can run an allwinner a10/20 based system without any blobs.
Beaglebone black has open schematics and can run without blobs, but technically doesn't count as open source hardware because they don't let you sell things based off it without permission.

If you want open source get the olimex lime a10 + lime uext adapter for gpio support, or the lime2 and lime2 uext, or the beaglebone black.

Is BananaPi open? I'm never going to buy an RbPi because of their bullshit politics.

Can't say much about openness but I hope you aren't considering a banana pi outside the original and the pro. The others have horrible support and use unsupported allwinner chips like the a31s. Don't make the same mistake I did and get an m2, when there are better options out there.

Oh and off topic, is WordPress truly open source and secure?

SPARC is GPLv2

What Thinkpad comes the closest to being open hardware?

Absolutely none. You cannot fucking escape proprietary CPU's.

Yes, it's GPLv2
hell no

Very Pi-like in shape. Even fits in most Pi cases. Old kernel though. South Korean.
More expensive than the C1+, strongest of the relatively cheap boards, same older kernel
Pretty much a high end phone in SBC form. Very powerful, 8 core, USB3, old kernel.
1 and 2 have a fuckton of GPIOs. Use an expansion board because they are a bit small. 3 has 3.5 inch hard drive support and 2GB RAM. They claim to be open source hardware. Chinese, but good quality.
Open source, european, made to last. Not very strong, but should work fine for most things. Needs the UEXT adapter to actually use the GPIOs, because they're tiny. Open source hardware
Same as above, but with the A20 chip instead of the A10.
Same as above, with gigabit ethernet and double the RAM. Needs a slightly different UEXT adapter because of slightly different pinout
Fucking huge, despite it's name. Runs of 12V instead of 5. Has 4 rows of GPIO sockets and 2 for UEXT, no adapters needed. Has a VGA socket and lots of buttons on the board. Get the power supply with it if you get one. Open source. Best if you need a fuckton of GPIO for the price.
Can run of completely open source code. Twice the GPIOs of the RasPi. Can plug it into your PC and use it's web-based IDE to code for it, making it a giant, convenient Arduino. American design, but manufactured in China.

It's a demo board for the broadcom chipset with genius level marketing, good software support and a decent community behind it. Same for arduino and atmel.

RPi is pretty open, I looked into this because I wanted to do bare metal programming, and the only options were RPi and one other board, and the other one required a proprietary toolchain. One cool thing is that all the peripherals (i2c, i2s, spi, gpio) are documented in the broadcom datasheet so you can write your own kernel/bare metal code to interface with them.

The main non-open parts of the RPi are:

1. A proprietary bootloader. The GPU actually loads first, and then loads a proprietary bootloader on the CPU, which then launches your bare metal code or the linux kernel.

2. Proprietary GPU drivers. But large parts of them have been open sourced [0]

I'm politically right wing, but I'm going to acknowledge RPi as having done a good job in terms of open source/hardware, even though they are SJWs.

[0] raspberrypi.org/blog/a-birthday-present-from-broadcom/

The other board I was thinking of was the BeagleBoard, but on further reading I think it can be programmed with a standard gcc arm toolchain. So I guess I was wrong, beagleboard is more open in every way.

PLURAL WITHOUT APOSTROPHE RETARD