How do you make a FOSS website?

How can I make a website that only uses open source components?

What do?

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.suckless.org/quark
suckless.org/rocks
learnrubythehardway.org
v4-alpha.getbootstrap.com/),
github.com/rom-rb/rom-yesql
cloudflare.com.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Simple, you write your own things and make them FLOSS.

Now, as for wanting to learn how to develop a website, that depends on what languages you're interested in.

I want to make something akin to a news
Site where I can post articles and people can comment on them.

seems easy with a bit of >javascript and php, whatever gay code

Just license the components you write under an OSI approved license and check the licenses of any other components you incorporate.

I admire your qt enthusiasm

whores

GNU/Linux box running a FOSS web server,
then your toolchain will probably look something like this:

[web server](apache or whatever) | | [private frontend](optional) [public frontend](probably php) | | | | | | -------------------------------->[database](SQL or whatever)

op is a faggot

Linux. Apache. Your own HTML.

This is really trivial. This is like asking, "how can I make something out of legos -- when all I have is a bunch of legos? I don't want to make something that isn't made out of legos. All I have is legos. How can I overcome this hurdle?"

oh OK. Add some your own commenting code, and then give it a FOSS license.

The easiest way to add comments is to write a bit of CGI that adds the comment to the end of a file with a single O_APPEND write. Use JavaScript to massage the writes into pretty comments with gravatar icons or whatever. If you can't do that, the next-easiest thing is to lock the file, write to the end of it, then unlock the file. If you can't go that, then you may as well get MySQL and a PHP CMS to do everything for you.

The real question is what is a suckless solution to host a simple site.

Has anyone tried tools.suckless.org/quark ?

To answer myself, apparently quark is not ready yet as per suckless.org/rocks
The end has other light web servers.

Remember to avoid Javascript like the plague, since people who like free software block Javascript by default because it doesn't ask your permission to run it. If you want to use JS, you'll have to provide it on your website and release it under GPL.

Also learn to code.

Quark works fine, that page just isn't updated often

just setup ruby on rails and run a lobsters instance. no codeing required.

The rest is up to you.

For example, if you want to learn how to code websites:
First learn a language. I think Ruby is a pretty legit choice for development and learnrubythehardway.org is a good resource for people who never programmed before. The book ends with a simple Sinatra-based website, if you get that far you should be able to write your simple website quite well, just look for more Sinatra examples*.

After that you should learn yourself some regular expressions and SQL, they are quite important for web development (the site I linked also has "books" for basics of those you could start with), because you need to a) validate the data, b) save the data in a database.
PostgreSQL is a pretty legit database. MySQL is shit and avoid it like fire. If you decide to go with Ruby and Sinatra as your platform, then for database access sequel is a pretty good library because it's simple to grok**.
For the design part: for HTML I suggest using HAML, it's really pleasant to write (though the ERB default is fine too if you don't mind having to repeat yourself) and for CSS I suggest using bootstrap (v4-alpha.getbootstrap.com/), preferably with SASS, which will save you from writing tons of tricky CSS.

If you don't want to learn how to code though, sounds pretty legit.

* - you can always check out Padrino as well, which is like a more fancy Sinatra; and don't try Rails first if you never did any website before,
** - you can try ROM later with for example github.com/rom-rb/rom-yesql which lets you use plain SQL; ROM is IMO better designed, but may be hard to grok at first if you don't know anything about Active Record and Data Mapper design patterns and how they compare.

Oh, also how can I protect my website from ddos? what's the likely hood that my site gets ddos'ed?

At a risk of sounding like a shill: cloudflare.com.
You basically have to latch onto someone who has a capability to weather the attack or have millions of shekels in infrastructure yourself.

Chances of DDoS is very low tbh, but what said is p much true.
Cloudflare works nicely but it's botnet, they'll be controlling incoming traffic (from anything malicious). It's the only solution though. Plus it hides your ip address.

Just use html and css only.

agpl version 2

don't use web labels
you can choose any free software license and not just GPLv3

You don't. FOSS is a freetard dream.

This

HTML and CSS is the correct answer. I stumbled through making a couple family business sites like 13 years ago on that. I was failing algebra at the time. so shit ain't that hard, OP. You kids with your Pokemon languages these days. Sheesh.

If you don't piss people off don't fear ddos. Also, ddos does no permanent damage (if you have a cooler that can take the heat and/or auto shutoff on overheat which most pcs have by default) so it's not that dangerous anyway. The only reason ddos does damage to companies is because it makes their services unavailable while it is going on.

You're not wrong, but discouraged users are an additional harm.

Django is enough for my needs, regardless of it being foss or not.

Do tell?

You don't.

Nobody cares.