Physics thread!

Ask any physics question, i'll do my best to answer!

Other urls found in this thread:

harmen.vanderwal.eu/hypercube/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what would happen if a sun made of fire crashes into a sun made of ice?

I have two for you

If in Circuitry, a circuit is shorted, it produces Inf voltage?
How come? Why not harness this big voltage and create infinite current too?

Second;
If the Universe is constantly expanding, what is it that it is engulfing?
What is outside of the Universe Cone?
Nothing? So what differentiates the nothingness between our planets from the nothingness outside the universe?

Thanks

we all die

This doesn't happen. Voltage is the same as the source.

Look at the diagram provided. Without the shorting wire S in place, most of the voltage V is dropped over the resistor R. Thus energy is deposited into R and R heats up.

Now put S in place. Because the wire has such low resistence, the internal resistance of the battery r is much greater so all the energy is dumped over it. This causes the battery to heat up and possibly explode. This is why shorting is bad. No infinite energies here.

The second I can't answer and nobody can. We don't know what's outside our universe because we can't observe it. Can't help you here.

If I clone myself and have sex with said self, do I love my virginity?

If I teleport to the future, would I even exist in the future besides the me that teleported?
Since I would have not even lived those years I skipped.

Can you have sex with space?
How fast would your jizz freeze in space if you slooged in space?

Why aren't you working in a 300K starting job instead of shitposting on a memeboard?

Because theoretical physics is very interesting to me which is why I fecalfax on Mongolian woodcarving boards :)

Do you know Brian?
That one "le its funny to b super srs btw I have phd" fag from gamegrumps?
Or even
Are you him? Sorry for calling you a fag, would bang

I have no idea what gamegrumps is so no.

how does one lidt ones self by their bootstraps?

How does consiousness see it's selt

If universal consiousness is one big subjective mirror,how does the mirror reflect it's self to see it's self?

Do you have a PhD then?

Jayden Smith what are you doing on Holla Forums?

maybe

Are you a Russian by any chance?

How do we know that the universe is expanding?
why is it impossible to go faster than the speed of light?

Nyet cyka blyat

When we look at stars like our own very far away, they are red shifted which means light arriving at us has longer wavelength than expected. This means they are moving away from us. The further we look away the more redshifted so are moving away from us faster. This is like being on a balloon that is expanding if you think about it.

Not being able to go faster than the speed of light is a natural consequence of the speed of light being constant in that rather than having distance relations of x^2 + y^2 we have t^2 - x^2. This is hyperbolic geometry rather than euclidean which results in the famous energy relation E^2 - p^2 = m^2. Plotting E against p The hyperbola with mass > 0 always lies below the hyperbola for m=0 so no matter how much increase momentum by applying a force you will never increase momentum above energy which is equivalent to saying v

New Dubay

Who da best physics man/woman/TS/TG/their?

Don't be racist

None of those thats for sure.

bump

Is star trek type teleportation actually teleportation, or does it kill the recipient and create a clone?

Our closest thing we have in real life is quantum teleportation which basically teleports a state, not actual matter. So you have to have all the material on both ends of the teleporter and the state of one is transferred to the other. Of course we have only done this with single particles so far.

This destroys the original state so its more like killing and reforming a copy i guess.

That is not going to make it very popular transportation method for sentient beings

Certainly not. Even worse is that fact that if you are not able to measure every possible maximally entangled state on the other end, there is the possibility of completely losing the initial state.

Is black the absence of all colour?

Yes, it is the absence of detectable light.

What would the 4th dimension look like?

Is it possible to move backwards in time?

Spatial or temporal? Cause we live in 3 dimensions of space and 1 of time so that's technically the 4th dimension.

If you mean spatial, check this out

harmen.vanderwal.eu/hypercube/

not that we know of. Some quantum mechanical effects appear to but don't really because you have to abandon determinism.

I don't have any questions, OP.
I have a demand.
Create a diagram for a functional time travel machine with the most lamen terms possible. Upload that shit.

bump

Why are magnets?

Miracles man!

Cause charge generates an electric field while moving charge generates a magnetic!

wrong thread?

More physics questions plz

what is dark matter exactly?

Something that appears to only interact through the gravitational force and nothing else. This makes it nearly impossible to get direct confirmation of. However, the face that the rotation velocity of the edges of galaxies are much faster than would be expected adding up the luminous mass is an indirect confirmation of its existance.

THankfully we have a gravity wave detector now…

how effective is this time machine? it's in the millionths of seconds or something isnt it?

It will teleport you back in time 0 seconds.

go get a nobel, why dont u, u scam

I really think you didn't answer the second question, OP. Basically you restated it in other words.

Wrong answer.

The right answer is "Star Trek teleportation exists only in the minds of the Star Trek writers. You should ask them."

Wrong answer.

Dark Matter is a fictional material invented by theoreticians to explain why a certain theory doesn't work.

Specifically, the theory of gravity doesn't match the actual behaviour of galaxies. So these guys explain it away by saying "Dark matter". And when you ask them how MUCH dark matter there is, they say "Just enough to create this error that we see".

There is no theory of Dark Matter that predicts anything, therefore it is not science, therefore it is not physics, therefore the question is off topic.

Thunderf00t looks like a bum and a registered sex offender.

If p>E then you better have imaginary mass. Just saying.

Since E = ym and p = ymv which result from Lorentz transforms its effectively saying v < 1. If you want to talk more about Lorentz tranforms just say.

As I said, appears. It could be that our theory is wrong with regards to this, but its either going against relativity which has been very successful or positing mass we can't yet detect. Most physicists go for the latter.

Ive got to give a presentation about radio waves tomorrow, do you have any interesting stories about them? Ive already got a bit on the wow signal but itd be cool to have another one to eat up some time.

What topics are you talking about? DO you know Maxwell's equations?

Need to know what level you are at to give a good response.

Topic is EM, ive got maxwells equations and Gauss/Faraday and Amperes laws related to them and some of the uses.

We had to pick a part of the spectrum and do a 10 minute presentation on it. Talking about discovery, uses, hazards and origin. Ive covered all the bases but would be good to have something to make it stand out since im not creative at all.

Something that is pretty cool: Materials with free electrons reflect light below a certain frequency because the electrons oscillate and produce a forward and backward travelling wave but since the medium is thick, the forward travellihng wave quickly dies off leaving only a backwards travelling one.

This is also true for the ionosphere. Since it is made up of ions radio waves bounce off it which is how a lot of long range communication works in the arctic and antarctic. To communicate with satellites they have to use higher frequencies to penetrate through.

Hope this helps!

Relativity has been successful, yes, but we have some anomalies that are not explained yet; galaxy rotation is one of them.

Dark Matter isn't really a theory. It reminds me of epicycles. Look at more galaxies, and you have to invent more Dark Matter for them. Where are the testable predictions? Have we DETECTED any of this matter?

What do you think of Mike McCulloch's MiHsC Theory?

I have them reflecting off of the ionosphere as one of their uses but i hadnt made the distinction between high and low frequencies.

Thanks user

It's not epicycles. It's just unexplained. Could be theory is wrong, could be new particles to detect. Most people hedge it's new particles. No one doubts its new physics.

As for MiHsC, I am aware of it. Was going to try my hand at a field theoretical appraoch to it this summer sine no one has bothered yet it seems.

It seems like units to or hyperbolic relation don't match up, am I mistaken?

There are factors of c I ignore. Use natural units its what all the cool kids do!

bump

Which field of physics is the most promising over the next 30~ years?

Id guess quantum physics but would be good to get a proper opinion on it.

Thats not a field anymore. Pretty much everything is related to quantum in some way. Even if you are studying relativity it is often tentativly related to quantum physics. You are probably thinking of either high energy physics, or quantum information.