Is ham radio something fun to get into...

Is ham radio something fun to get into? I saw a thread on it awhile ago and it seemed cool but other people were saying that it sucked because most of the people that used it sucked. Is anyone on tech into it? are channels full of people? what if I just wanted to talk to one or two people?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GpZCxc6lLOc
g4gcp.co.uk/TS-480/TS-480_Better_AM_Broadcast_Reception.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

2 meter/70cm
Allstar
IRLP

nothing better for me

Will be general some time in the next few months when I actually stop smoking weed and study for a week, been a technician since Oct 2015

you can go in many different directions with it and just use and do what is relevant to your level of technical skill and monetary investment. It's a social hobby, almost acts as a voice social network. A lot of smart knowledgeable people with technical backgrounds.

You can pay 15$ for a test, 30$ for a baofeng, and maybe 20$ for a better antenna and you are able to make contacts across the world if you learn enough.

A lot of nerdy and/or old people
on-air political debates are generally frowned upon
old people in antenna cars will come track you down if you start jamming and trolling, ending your fun

I would recommend yes, at least as a passive hobby. If all of the power and phones go down you will be superior to all of the other phone zombies. At least have a license and use the radio from time to time as practice

The bands here have plenty of space. listen to the WIN system live audio stream if you want to get a sample of what a lot of ham operators connected together talk about. Generally everything is quiet around here in FL but not completely dead.

You can talk to them all you want, but anyone can listen in

the Holla Forums of ham radio, also look up 147.435 los angeles
QSY

2 meter/70cm
Allstar
IRLP

nothing better for me

Will be general some time in the next few months when I actually stop smoking weed and study for a week, been a technician since Oct 2015

you can go in many different directions with it and just use and do what is relevant to your level of technical skill and monetary investment. It's a social hobby, almost acts as a voice social network. A lot of smart knowledgeable people with technical backgrounds.

You can pay 15$ for a test, 30$ for a baofeng, and maybe 20$ for a better antenna and you are able to make contacts across the world if you learn enough.

A lot of nerdy and/or old people
on-air political debates are generally frowned upon
old people in antenna cars will come track you down if you start jamming and trolling, ending your fun

I would recommend yes, at least as a passive hobby. If all of the power and phones go down you will be superior to all of the other phone zombies. At least have a license and use the radio from time to time as practice

The bands here have plenty of space. listen to the WIN system live audio stream if you want to get a sample of what a lot of ham operators connected together talk about. Generally everything is quiet around here in FL but not completely dead.

You can talk to them all you want, but anyone can listen in

the Holla Forums of ham radio, also look up 147.435 los angeles
qsy

Maybe ham is shit but SDR is pretty cool. You can monitor satellite transmissions and shit. I remember some guy at a hacker con showing recordings he'd made of 3rd world pirate radio being bounced off of military repeater satellites. Cool shit.

WOW

I know, right

nice, im gonna get one so i can listen to 14.313

nice, im gonna get one so i can listen to 14.313

no

Thanks I think I will try it out.

I used to be into it years ago, not so much anymore...

I bought myself a cheapo dvb sdr receiver to play around with. Was quite fun to setup.

Looking around to get myself a license for transmitting, at least I get a little more experience with it that way.

Receiving signals is cheap and no risk, transmitting you better know what you're doing. There's like rules and regulations, depending on where you're located, some frequencies are free for all, and some they'll send someone over if you emit with too high wattages..

I bought several radios, but I can only pick one or two stations at most.
A country music broadcast and some near by religious stations.
Other than that, its dead silent.

So i want to get my dad a radio because his 40 year old japanese one cant get some stations when the weathers kind of bad. The station he likes is an am one about 300 km away.
So woud a modern radio be able to do that no problem even if the weather is bad?

this dude got drunk and bought a navy satellite dish
youtube.com/watch?v=GpZCxc6lLOc

modern radios have a 10db am broadcast band attenuators so have very low sensitivity compared to the older tube types. I disabled the attenuator on my ts480 and found a great improvement. before you buy a hf radio check mods.dk for the specific radio you intend to buy.

That's Travis, he also bought a van that was previously used by TV news crews, to install sat dish receivers on.

Haven't seen this talk, so thanks.

kek

that's a beaut

So are you saying new radio's are actually worse?

I wanted to get into radio for outdoorsy shit, but none of the radios out there are going to ever be as rugged as the shit I carried in the Army, so I kind of don't feel like spending a lot for a radio that doesn't even have water resistance.

Look into commercial grade radios.

It's kind of fun if you have the resources/space to do it. I have a general license but live in an apartment so it's kind of shitty for ham stuff.

yes, out of the box they are worse but i wouldn't be put off by that as they are easy to mod. here is the mod for the ts480g4gcp.co.uk/TS-480/TS-480_Better_AM_Broadcast_Reception.pdf
it just involves moving a jumper.

I was interested in this back in the mid '90s re Linux and AX.25. Does anyone still do data over it?

why do they hinder them like that?

I just want to get my dad a regular radio with really good reception. No ham stuff.

to prevent receiver overload if you happen to be located near a powerful station I guess. ham radios are designed to be sensitive to pick up low power stations but that also makes them vulnerable to damage when listening to stations transmitting hundreds of kilowatts.

I don't know much about inexpensive consumer receivers. you could pick up an older home cinema system and have a loud fm/am reciever. i own the sony str-dg700 which works ok as an amp but the fm reception is shitty on weak stations. older cinema receivers such as my own have a weak demand as they don't run from hdmi audio. although they have many hdmi ports they just act as a switchbox.

this guy is autistic as fuck I love it

too bad he has memedreads, he'd be an upstanding white goy otherwise

How different is SDR from Ham? I have unused beaglebone black board and it has an SDR addon board. Should I start with ham or SDR?

since you already own the sdr start with that, but be warned most of the interesting transmissions occur on 0.1-30mhz whereas your sdr covers from 25mhz to 1300mhz so you will have little to listen to. you might hear 27mhz cb radio noaa weather satellites and some 144mhz ham activity.
if i were you i would ditch the beaglebone and plug the rtlsdr in to your pc.

From >>>/cyber/

Oh no sorry it came out wrong, there is an SDR addon board that is available for sale; I myself dont actually have one.

travis goodspeed. fuckin love that dude (nohomo)

this is probably worth it's own thread but check out [pdf related]
about modding hd firmware
or check youtube
basically
what if your storage device was active rather than just a passive block device?

he modded his ipod firmware so when you try and dd it, it replaces the output with rickroll lyrics

this one's similar about misreporting file contents

Looking to get into this, at least listening for now.

Can anyone help me out on whats some decent handhelds and the best antennas for them?

Baofeng is fine for now but also thinking icom/yaesu/kenwood/elecraft tier.

Bump for bleeding edge tech

Youll cowards don't even HF.

They've dumbed the license requirements down so much and you fags still don't even have at least your general class license?

Fucking sad.

Bitch i bet you dont even cw

What kind of license do I need in the USA to run 27mhz, 49mhz, 72mhz, 900mhz, 1.2ghz, 2.4ghz, and 5.8ghz systems for non-commercial ends?

YES

above 30 you need a tech licence. below you need a general.