ASCIIpunk

I think it's time we made an ASCIIpunk thread, if you don't know what ASCIIpunk is, we share 3 main ideas:

0. ASCIIpunk interfaces.
1. simple logical concise elegant code and interfaces.
2. avoid bloat.

IRC: irc.rizon.net #textpunk (in keeping with the ideas of ASCIIpunk we recommend irssi as a client)

Though it's can be called ASCIIpunk, unicode is ok too. Also, ASCIIpunk doesn't mean you can never leave the terminal, rather it is a rebellion against the idea that as computers become more powerful, programs must become pointlessly demanding, or that butt tons of CSS, laggy JS and images should be shoved down your internet connection every time you just want information.

Other urls found in this thread:

invisible-island.net/dialog/dialog.html
txti.es/textpunk
brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/
brain-dump.org/projects/abduco/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/twitch-curses/
asciidoc.org/
github.com/yaronn/blessed-contrib
freech.net/t/res/392.html#392
idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
patorjk.com/software/taag/
youtube.com/watch?v=Q8fvC6mdAK8
geektyper.com/
asciinema.org/browse/featured
asciinema.org/a/20946
asciinema.org/a/41475
text-mode.tumblr.com/
sta.li/
github.com/faissaloo/PyG-Latin
artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~brain/0verkill/
sta.li,
youtube.com/watch?v=iMJrt_HTdmU
textfiles.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ru84r0mOr0I
lush.sourceforge.net/
github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube
pastebin.com/raw/KSjNUHr1
pastebin.com/raw/JegsF1tF
pastebin.com/raw/Lc7fG9wx
staticgen.com/
github.com/jcalvinowens/asmhttpd
github.com/kulpae/cloudruby
amasci.com/
zsh.org/
gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/dash/
tobold.org/article/rc
pastebin.com/raw/FNVHxDQg
acme.cat-v.org/
tools.suckless.org/ii/
core.suckless.org/sbase
core.suckless.org/ubase
alpinelinux.org/
theasciicode.com.ar/
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
suckless.org/rocks
pastebin.com/raw/gTRLsM3W
gridsagegames.com/rexpaint/
youtube.com/watch?v=kLpyuaNyli0
linusakesson.net/programming/tty/
basicbitch.software/
github.com/roperzh/jroff
phrack.org/issues/69/4.html#article
criticalengineering.org/
pastebin.com/raw/P7fAF9vj
aachan.sageru.org/
4-ch.net/4ch
afternoon.dynu.com/letterbox.html
secretareaofvipquality.org/saovq/
ucavviu7wl6azuw7.onion/overchan.random-0.html
github.com/majestrate/nntpchan
dyne.org/software/tomb/
hughbien.com/thyme/
github.com/pachacamac/markdown-converter
tim.thechases.com/posts/cli/software-for-a-command-line-world/
textfiles.com/bbs/FIDONET/FIDONEWS/
16chan.nl/textpunk
neetco.de/chibi/rvrs
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
github.com/vain/asciiworld
github.com/FedeDP/ncursesFM
ucavviu7wl6azuw7.onion/
ioccc.org/years.html
sourceforge.net/projects/mconv/
mconv.sourceforge.net/
ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/bbs/!INDEX.html
cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2001-1207/
daydream.iwn.fi/
mewbies.com/how_to_install_p.o.r._project.oldskool.revenge_tutorial.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC_Computer_Games
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_DB
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code#CSI_codes
tuxradar.com/content/archives-best-games-2001
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So, text only hyperminimalism? Sounds cool.

Pretty much

Is ncurses ASCIIpunk?

Yes

What's the punk part of this movement?

So it's the suckless philosophy without the programming?

nice!!!!!

invisible-island.net/dialog/dialog.html

The part where we rebel against the modern attitude towards software.

I made a txti for it: txti.es/textpunk

if you want me to add anything to it just paste it in the thread.

using the console as a window manager exclusively for terminals

No, suckless has a very narrow view of what is 'suckless' to the point of impracticality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
----AAAAA--------AAAAA--------AAAAA--------AAAAA--------AAAAA----
---AAAAAAA------AAAAAAA------AAAAAAA------AAAAAAA------AAAAAAA---
--AAAA-AAAA----AAAA-AAAA----AAAA-AAAA----AAAA-AAAA----AAAA-AAAA--
--AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA--
--AAAAAAAAA----AAAAAAAAA----AAAAAAAAA----AAAAAAAAA----AAAAAAAAA--
-----------------------------------------------------------------

woop, font fucked it up

holy fugg
what is this

---------------------------------------------------------------------AAAAA--------AAAAA--------AAAAA--------AAAAA--------AAAAA-------AAAAAAA------AAAAAAA------AAAAAAA------AAAAAAA------AAAAAAA-----AAAA-AAAA----AAAA-AAAA----AAAA-AAAA----AAAA-AAAA----AAAA-AAAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAAAAAAAA----AAAAAAAAA----AAAAAAAAA----AAAAAAAAA----AAAAAAAAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA----AAA---AAA-------------------------------------------------------------------

brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/
brain-dump.org/projects/abduco/

Just had an interesting thought. Wouldn't text-mode be a good way to help blind people use computers?
All you do to interact with a text based interface is type, which is easy enough to implement. Everything is text, so you can use a screen reader to read what's happening. There are no pictures or bad colour schemes to squint at. Knoppix has a special mode like this for blind people, and it works quite well.

Nice trips, it makes sense. We should ask blind people, ask them to test things like cmus and other ncurses software.

visually-impaired, yeah
even colour-blind people.

So BBS Style shit?
I like it.

W-would you mind maybe sharing how you did that? P-p-please?

read

thanks brudder

and yet we have no BBS

or textboard, or anything like that.
just end my life up fam

___ _ __ / / | | | / / / /| |_ ___ ___| |__ / / / / | __/ _ \/ __| '_ \ / / / / | || __/ (__| | | |/ / /_/ \__\___|\___|_| |_/_/

/cyber/ and lainchan did it four months ago.
Step your game up.

didn't even know people still used that place
I don't use imageboards run by sensitive apple-obsessed cockfags.

We've had a Holla Forums bbs for months. None of you faggots ever used it.

Tmux master race

That thing was never online :/
Plus the encoding was fucked and didn't work properly from within Tmux ;_;

I did, it's been down for a while now.

so who actually has a URI for an active board or community?

i don't so much care about tiling, but what's the bit at the bottom?

I'm not sure I like the name, but I like the idea. Especially the last sentence, which is why my browser looks like pic related.

Also, this might be relevant: aur.archlinux.org/packages/twitch-curses/
I made it mainly for myself because twitch.tv would not fucking work without javascript and I like to watch vidya streams from time to time. I apologize if my code isn't elegant, I'm a utilitarian pleb.

that's perfect!

I like where this thread is going.
This guy makes reviews of a bunch of software that uses Ncurses :

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL628AB8A7B7A877D8

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL15B45A9D5A0000A5

grueat

asciidoc.org/

Oh yeah, and here's a blog with a lot of reviews of this type of stuff:

inconsolation.wordpress.com

This guy tested a ridiculous amount of software and made some cool lists with the best of the ones he tested in different categories.

btw this exists. uses blessed which is ncurses for node.js

github.com/yaronn/blessed-contrib

fix your shit hotwheels

Oh my God this is great!

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒░▒░▒░░░░░░░░▒░░▒░▒░▒▒▒▒░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒░▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
░░▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒
▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒░░▒░░▒▒▒█▒▒█▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒░▒▒▒▒▒
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▓██▓█▓▓█▓███████▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒░▒▒
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▓███████████████████▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓█████████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▓███████▒▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒████▓▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░▒█████████▓░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒████▒▒░░▒░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▒▒█████████▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓█████░░▓▓░░░▒▒░░░░
░░░░░░░▓▒▒████████▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓███████░░▒░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▓███████▓▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓████████▒░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████▓▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓██████▓▓░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▒▒▓███████▒░▒░░░▒▓▓█▓▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▓███▓███▓█▒░░░░░░
░░░░░░▒▓▓██████▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▓▒░░▓██▒▒▒▒▓█████████████░░▒░░░
░░░░░▒▓█▓██████▒▒░▒▒▒█▓██████▒░░▓██████████▓▓███████▒▒░░░░░
░░░░░▒▓▓▓█████▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▓▓▒░░░▓█▒▒▒▒▓▓██▓▓▓███████▓░▒▓░░░
░░░░░▒▓▓▓███▓▓▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▓█▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▓███████▓▒░░░░░
░░░░░▓▓▓▓██▓█▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒██▒▒░░▒▒▓▓▓▓████████▓▒░░░░
░░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒░░░░░▒██▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▓█████████▓▓▒▒▒
░░░▒█▓███▓▓█▓▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒░░▒▒▒▓█████▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▓███▓██████▓▓▒▒
░░▒▓▓███▓▓█▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒░░▒█▓▓█▓███▓█▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓███▓██████▓▓▓░
░░▓▓▓██▓███▓▒▓▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▓▒▓▓▓█▓▓▒▒▒▓▓█▓███████████▒▒
░░▒▓▓█▓█▓███▒▒▒▓▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▓███████████▓▒▓▒▒▒████▒▓████████▓░
░░▓█████████▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░▒▒▒██▒▒░░▒▒▒▓▒▒▓█▓▒▓██▓████████████████
░▒▓▒████████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▓██▓▒▓▒▓█▓█▓█████▓██▓█▓█▓████▒
░▒▓▓████████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒█▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒██▓████████▓███▓███
▒▓██▓████████▒▒▒▒░▒░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒█▓▓████▓██▓██▓▓▓██
█████████████▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒░▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▓█▓███▓█▓█▓▓█▓███
▓█████████████▓▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒░▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓█▓█░█▓▓▓█▓█▓████
█████████████▒███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒▓█████▓▓█▓▓█▓▓▓█▓▓
██▓█████████▓▓███▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▓██▒▒▓██████▓██▓█▓▓█▓███▓
▓███████████▒▓███▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓██▓██▒▒██████▓████▓▓▒▒▓▓▓▓███▓▓
██████████▓███████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓██████████▓▓▓██▓▓▒▒█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
██████████▒██████▓▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓██▓███▓▓▒▓▓▓█▓▓████▓▓█▓▓██
█████████▓▒██▓███▓▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▓▓██▓▒▒███▓▓▓█▓█▓
█▓███████▒▒██▓████▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▓█▓▒▓▓▓████▓▓█
██████████▓████▒█▓█▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓█▓▓█▓▒▓▓▓▓██▓▓█▓
█████████▓▓█▒█████▓█▒░░░░░░░▒▒░░▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒█▓▒▒▒▒▓▒██████▓█▓█

this is cancer, no offence

this is cancer, no offence

Out of interest, does this mean I could call myself ASCIIpunk while hosting an image site, so long as the rest of the site is in keeping with that philosophy?
(i.e. the images are well optimized in terms of file-size, and are the primary information I wish to convey, preventing outright text-only but still allowing for a lot of minimizing bloat in how the gallery is laid out.)

Oddly enough, this looks like crap in lynx.

nah:
freech.net/t/res/392.html#392

I'd say it looks better. Copying from here added spaces with each line though, so it had to be edited a bit.

none taken. i didn't make it. i just wanted to see what text punks think of it. i get the hate for frontend css & js but how about node.js?

unicode and ansi is pretty cool. interesting to see the potential

yeah, makes sense to me. this page seems pretty ASCIIpunk
idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm

although
what was that about bloat?

I like where this is going.

▄▄▄ ██████ ▄████▄ ██▓ ██▓ ██▓███ █ ██ ███▄ █ ██ ▄█▀ █████▒█ ██ ▄████▄ ██ ▄█▀ ▓██ ██▓▓█████ ▄▄▄ ▒████▄ ▒██ ▒ ▒██▀ ▀█ ▓██▒▓██▒▓██░ ██▒ ██ ▓██▒ ██ ▀█ █ ██▄█▒ ▓██ ▒ ██ ▓██▒▒██▀ ▀█ ██▄█▒ ▒██ ██▒▓█ ▀▒████▄ ▒██ ▀█▄ ░ ▓██▄ ▒▓█ ▄ ▒██▒▒██▒▓██░ ██▓▒▓██ ▒██░▓██ ▀█ ██▒▓███▄░ ▒████ ░▓██ ▒██░▒▓█ ▄ ▓███▄░ ▒██ ██░▒███ ▒██ ▀█▄ ░██▄▄▄▄██ ▒ ██▒▒▓▓▄ ▄██▒░██░░██░▒██▄█▓▒ ▒▓▓█ ░██░▓██▒ ▐▌██▒▓██ █▄ ░▓█▒ ░▓▓█ ░██░▒▓▓▄ ▄██▒▓██ █▄ ░ ▐██▓░▒▓█ ▄░██▄▄▄▄██ ▓█ ▓██▒▒██████▒▒▒ ▓███▀ ░░██░░██░▒██▒ ░ ░▒▒█████▓ ▒██░ ▓██░▒██▒ █▄ ░▒█░ ▒▒█████▓ ▒ ▓███▀ ░▒██▒ █▄ ░ ██▒▓░░▒████▒▓█ ▓██▒ ▒▒ ▓▒█░▒ ▒▓▒ ▒ ░░ ░▒ ▒ ░░▓ ░▓ ▒▓▒░ ░ ░░▒▓▒ ▒ ▒ ░ ▒░ ▒ ▒ ▒ ▒▒ ▓▒ ▒ ░ ░▒▓▒ ▒ ▒ ░ ░▒ ▒ ░▒ ▒▒ ▓▒ ██▒▒▒ ░░ ▒░ ░▒▒ ▓▒█░ ▒ ▒▒ ░░ ░▒ ░ ░ ░ ▒ ▒ ░ ▒ ░░▒ ░ ░░▒░ ░ ░ ░ ░░ ░ ▒░░ ░▒ ▒░ ░ ░░▒░ ░ ░ ░ ▒ ░ ░▒ ▒░ ▓██ ░▒░ ░ ░ ░ ▒ ▒▒ ░ ░ ▒ ░ ░ ░ ░ ▒ ░ ▒ ░░░ ░░░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░░ ░ ░ ░ ░░░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░░ ░ ▒ ▒ ░░ ░ ░ ▒ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░

This is the best we've had so far, can the guy in charge in charge of change the header to this but shortened?

Add Cmus to it, it's a very simple console music player.

This is horribly bloated, but the transparency thing is cool, I should look at how they did that later.

Glad you like it. I just added a caching functionality btw. Wanted to do so for a while now. It will no longer query twitch every time you return to the top level list of games.

So where do the Oberon OS and Acme text editor fit into ASCIIpunk? Their UIs involve writing text and interacting with it via the mouse. Very interesting paradigm, at least.

didn't mean to reply to that guy

Kys tbh

tbh the dude doing his own thing in >>573366 is more punk than emo greenday

sage for derail

Do you even know what emo is?

Yup

I'd agree, we should contact him and see if he'd be down to join us

stupid question
do you know what punk is?

do you have to assemble this kind of stuff manually, or is there an image-editor designed for ASCII art?

Nah nigga this is real easy, check it:

patorjk.com/software/taag/

I wish I could claim credit, but I couldn't draw my way out of a paper bag with ASCII symbols.

Also, I'm no expert programmer, or expert artist, but it seems like it shouldn't be hard to like, use some kind of text file(s) to define a "font", and write a program that takes a text stream input and makes an output file where each character is replaced by the "font" character...
I've never done that but it seems like the way to go for this kinda thing if you wanna be real anal about exactly how it's formatted.

It's not what they're using, but emacs has an artist-mode which lets you draw ascii. I've never had any luck with it but someone who knows how to draw might

Who are you quoting?

I have no idea I'm trashed.
That appears to be a typo.

I did write a thing (in C++&magick++) to convert images into text some time ago. It uses utf8 blocks, but the width still doesn't always match perfectly. Though it's perfectly fine for fixed-width text.

I should have the source somewhere, if you waned.

░░░░░░          ░▕▓▓███▉▓▓██▇██▇██▇███████████▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░          ░▕▓▓███▉▓▓██▇█████▇██████████▉▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░            ▕▇▓▓████▓▇███▓▓▓▓█████████████▉░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░            ▕▇▓▓████▓████▓▓▓▓█████████████▊░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 
░░░░            ▟███████████▓▓▇▇█▓▓███████████▉▏░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░          ▟██████▓████▓▓▇▇█▓▓███████████▉░░░░░░░░░░░░░   
░░░░     ░░░░ ░░▕██▓▓▓▓█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████████▉░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░     ░░░░ ░░▓██▓▓▓▓█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████████▉░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░ 
          ░░░ ░░▒▒▓▓▒▇█████████████████████████▇▅▃▁░░░░░░░           ░░░ ░░▒▒▓▓▓▇█████████████████████████▆▅▃▁░░░░░░      
          ░   ░░▒▇▇▇███▓████████████▓███████▓███████▇▆▅▃▁░░          ░   ░░▒▆▇▇███▓████████████▓██████▓▓███████▇▆▅▂░      
░         ░░▂▃▆▇███████▉▒▓▓▓▓███████▓▓████▓▒▒████████████▆▏░         ░░▂▃▆▇███████▒▒▓▓▓▓███████▓▓████▓▒▒████████████▅░    
▂▂▂▂▂▂   ▃▇▓███████████▉▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▇█████████▓▓▓▓▓▂▂▂▂▂▂   ▃▇▓███████████▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▆███████▓▓█▓▓▓▓▉▂▂▂▂
▓▓▓▓▓▓▏ ▕▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▇▉▒▒█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓█▓▓█████████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓  ▕▓▓▒▒▓▒▓▓▓▇▉▒▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓█████████▓▓▓▓▓
▔▔▔▔▔▔   ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔   ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
     ▁▁▁▂▁▁▂▂▁▁                                                                                         ▁▁▁▂▁▁▁▂▁▁        
  ░▂▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▇▓▒▒▒▂▂░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░                ▁▂▂▃▃▂▂▂▂                                     ░▁▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▇▓▒▒▒▂▁░ ░░░
▁▂▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▏▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▂░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░             ▁▂▇█▓▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▇▆▁                                ▁▂▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▏▕▓▓▓▒▒▒▓▒▂░░░
▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▔░▔▔▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▇▆░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░           ░▆█▓▓▒░░░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▆▁▁                        ░░░░▂▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▔░▔▔▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▇▆░░
▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░░░░░░▒▓▇████▓▉░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░          ▁▕▓▓▒▒░░░░░░░▒▒▒▓▓▓▇▆░                      ░░░░▆▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░░░░░░▒▓▇███▓▓▉░
▓▓▓▓▓▒░░░░░░░░▒▓██▓▓▓▓▉░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░         ░▕██▓▓▒▂▁░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▓███▉░                     ░░░░▓█▓▓▓▓▓▒░░░░░░░░▒▓▓█▓▓▓▓▒
▓▓██▇▇▇▇▒░▒▆▇▓▇▇██████▓▏░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░         ░▓██▓▓▓▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓█▓█▉░                    ░░░▕▓▓▓▓██▇▇▇▆▒░▒▆▇▓▇▇▇█████▓
██▓█▓▓▓▓▉░▕▓▓▓▓████████▉▏░░░░░░░░░░░░░░        ▕▓███▓▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒░░░░▒▒▓███▓▉░                   ░░░▇█▓▓█▓█▓▓▓▓▉░▕▓▓▓▓████████
█▓▓▓▉▒▆▒▒░░▒▆▂░▒▓███████▉░░░░░░░░░░░░░░       ░▕▓██▉▒▒░░▒▓▒▓▆▆▒▁░▒▒▓▓█▓▓▓▓▁░                  ░▓██▓██▓▓▉▒▆▒▒░░▒▆▂░▒▓██████
██▓▓▇█▇▇▆▆▆▇██▇▇▇███████▉░░░░░░░░░░░░░░       ░▒████▓▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▏░                ░░▓▓█▓██▓▓▇█▇▇▆▆▆▇▓█▇▇▇██████
██▓▓████████████████████▉▏░░░░░░░░░░░░░       ░▕████▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓████████▓▆░               ░▕▓▓████▓▓████▓▓█████████████
███████▓▓▓▓██████████████▊░░░░░░░░░░░░░       ░▕▓████▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████▉▒▁░░    ░       ▕▓██████████▓▓▓▓▓██▓█████████
▓█████▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓███████████▉░░░░░░░░░░░░░       ░▕▓████████▓▓▓▓▓███████████████▇▆▒▁░   ░░     ░▕██▓█▓▓▓████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████████
▇████████████████████████▇▂░░░░░░░░░░░        ░░▒▓█████████████████████████████▓▇▒░░░░     ░░▕▓▓▓▒▆▇██████████████████████
████████████████████████████▇▆▅▃▂░░░░░       ░░░▒▇████████████████████████████████▇▒░░     ░░░▒▒▓▆████████████████████████
█▓▓▓▓█████████▓▓█████▓▒▓██████████▇▅▁░     ░░░▅▇█████████▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▇▓█████████████████▓▒▒░   ░▁▃▆▇█████▉▓▓▓█████████▓▓▓████▓▒
█▉▒▒▒▓▓▓██████▓▓▓▓█▓▓▒▒▇███████▓▓▓▓▓▓▂    ░░▂▇█████████▓▉▒░░░▂▇▓▓██▓▓▓▓██████▓█▓▓▓██▓▓▒  ▕▓█████████▉▒▒▒▓▓▓██████▓▓▓▓█▓▒▒▒
▓▉▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓████████▓▓▓▉  ▕▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▇▓▇▇▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓  ▕▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▒▓▒▔▔▒▔▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▔▔▔▒▀▀▓▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▒▒▔  ▕▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▒▒▒▒▀▒▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒  ▕▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▔▔▒▔▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▔▔▔▒▒
                                                                                                                          
                                                                                                                          
▁▂▂▒░▁▒▂▂▁░                                       ▁▂▂▂▁▁▂▂▂▁                                        ▁▂▂▂▁▁▂▂▂▁            
▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▂▁░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░               ▁▂▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▂░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░                ▁▂▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▂░░░░░░░░░░
▓▓▒▒▔▔▔▓▓▒▓▓▇▆░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░          ░░░░▂▓▓▓▓▓▒▔▔▔▒▓▓▒▓▓▆▂░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░          ░░░▁▆▓▓▓▓▓▒▔▔▔▒▓▓▒▓▇▆▂░░░░░░░░
▓▒░░░░░▕▓▇███▓▉░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░          ░░▕▇▓▓▓▓▓▒░░░░░▒▓▓▓██▓▎░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░          ░░▕▇▓▓▓▓▓▒░░░░░▓▓▓▓██▓▏░░░░░░░
▒░░░░░▁▁▒▓▓█▓▓▓▏░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░         ░░░▕▓▓▓▓▓▒░░░░▁▁░▒▓█▓▓▓▓▏░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░         ░░░▕▓▓▓▉▓▒░░░░▁▁░▒▓█▓▓▓▓▏░░░░░░
▓▓█▉░▓█▓▓██████▓▏░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░         ░░░▓▓▓▓██▓▓▇▉░▓█▓███████▉░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░         ░░░▇▓▓▓██▓▓▇▉░▇█▓███████▉░░░░░░

teletext/infochannel text art?
youtube.com/watch?v=Q8fvC6mdAK8

::::::~++++=:~~=+++++++++++++++++,,:
:::::~==++++++++++++++++++?????++++++,:~
======++++++++++++++++++++??????+?+++::~
====++++++++++++,,,,,:++??????????+++,,~
==+++++++++++++,,:+=~,????????????+++,,=
+++++++++++++++,~++??=?+???????????++,,=
+++++++++++++++:=~=?I++?????????????=,,~
+++++++++++++++~?++?+???????????????=,,=
=~+++++++++++++~=?=+??+????????????+=,,=
~=~=+++++++++++:=+=+?+?????????????+=,,=
+=~=~?+++++++:,,,:=+=+++++++++?+???+=,,=
?+=~~~~+++,:::?,,,,:::++++++++?++?++~,,~
??+++~~,:::::::::,,,,,,,,:++++++??++::,=
????+~::,:,:::::::7,::,,,,,:++++++++,,,=
?????,::::,::::::::::::,,,,::+++++++,,,=
?+++,,,,,,::::::::::::::,::,,,==++++:,,=
+??+,::,,,,,:::::::::::::::,,,===+++:,,+
??+,::::::,,::::::::::::::,,::,=====:,,+
??+,:::,::,,::::::::::::::,,,::,,,,,,,,=
???,:::::,:,:::::::::::::,,,,:::,,,,,,,=
??+,:::,:,,,:::::::::::::::.,,,,:::::::+
??=,,,:,::::,,,::::::::~::,,,,:::,,+
??+,,::::::::::::::::::+=++I?,,,::~I+==+
???+,::::,,::::::::::~??????+=,=????III?
?????:,:::,:::::::::::????I????+III7777I
I????:,:~?:=:,~::::::III??IIII=?IIIII77I
?????~:~+?I+=+,:I:~?:?IIIIIII+~?III7IIII
?????~::~+II7I?+?+=+==IIIII7+?=IIIIII777
????~=~~::+7III~:::~:+IIIIII77+=IIIIIIII
????===?=~+?I:~~:++IIII7I7I??77IIIII
????~~=+==:=++I?~::+=++II77777777777IIII
????~~~=++==?=:I+==~=++?II77777777I7IIII
???+:==+++++====+++?II777777777IIIII
++++:~~==++++?~==++==+???7777777I7IIIIII
++++~~~~=++++?~==~==+????III77777IIIIIII
~=++~:~=+==++?~~====+++??II77777IIIIII??
=~=+=:~=++++?+=:~~~=+?+++III7IIIIIIII???
==~:~==++++===:==++++?IIIIIIIIIII???
==+:~==++=+==~:~==+++??IIIIIIII????+
==+::==+++====~:===++??III?III????++

For you.

std::wcout

std::wcout

pic related
the average web page is now the same size as doom

Anyone know of any "good" BBS to visit?

Won't work. txti eats white space which fucks with the formatting of most ASCII art. The reason the current banner looks like this is because this was the only one I could find which uses characters in the place of white space.

There are two tools for this on . Specifically the tools figlet and toilet (used for the banner)

I'm actually making my own with Synchronet, but my room mate keeps shutting it down because he's scared people are going to hijack our home network. Which he has a point, but I'm not too worried about that.

I'm still trying to figure out how to add my own ASCII art to the welcome screen. So if anyone has any experience with Synchronet, some help would be appreciated.

link plox

geektyper.com/

protip set this to auto and f11 on a family members computer and watch them have a meltdown

_______ .__ .___.__ .___ ________ /\ ____ ____ \ \ |__| ____ ____ ___________ ______ __| _/|__| __| _/ / __ \ / / /_ /_ | / | \| |/ ___\ / ___\_/ __ \_ __ \/ ___/ / __ | | |/ __ | \____ / / / | || |/ | \ / /_/ > /_/ > ___/| | \/\___ \ / /_/ | | / /_/ | / / / / | || |\____|__ /__\___ /\___ / \___ >__| /____ > \____ | |__\____ | /____/ / / |___||___| \/ /_____//_____/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Sheit, totally forgot I had this laying around.
ASCII_PUNK memes are the bees knees.

>░░░▄█▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██▄ ░▄██▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒███ >░███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██▌ >▐██▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒██▌ ░▐█▄█▀▒▄▄▄▒▒▀█▄▄█▀▒▄▄▄▒▒▀█▄█▌ ▐▀▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▌▒▐ ░▌▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌▒▌ ░░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▀ ░░░▐▒▒▒▐▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▌▒▒▒▒▐ ░░░░░▌▒▒▒████████████▒▒▒▒▒█▒██▄ ░▄░░▄░▄░░▄▄░░▄▄░█░░░░▄░▄░░░▄▄░▄▄ ░▀░░▀░░░░▀▀░▀▀░░▀░▀░▀░▀░▀░░▀▀░▀░▀

Is there no way to give it a tag, or something similar that says "put this shit on the screen exactly as it's written here"?

------________----------[]_______[]---------[]_______[]-------[_________]-------[__]_____[__]-------[__]_____[__]-----[___________]-----[_____]__[____]-----[_____]__[____]--[_____]___[_____]---[_____]__[____]-----[_____]__[____]--[____]_____[____]---[_____________]-----[_____________]--[_______________]-----[]---[______]-------[]---[______]--[____]_____[____]----[__]____[____]------[__]____[____]--[____]_____[____]---[____]____[___]-----[____]____[___]---[__]_______[__]----[_____________]-----[_____________]----[]---------[]-----[_____________]-----[_____________]This was OC Folks. No tools used other than **notepad++**

------________----------[]-------[]---------[]-------[]-------[_________]-------[__]-----[__]-------[__]-----[__]-----[___________]-----[_____]--[____]-----[_____]--[____]--[_____]---[_____]---[_____]--[____]-----[_____]--[____]--[____]-----[____]---[_____________]-----[_____________]--[_______________]-----[]---[______]-------[]---[______]--[____]-----[____]----[__]----[____]------[__]----[____]--[____]-----[____]---[____]----[___]-----[____]----[___]---[__]-------[__]----[_____________]-----[_____________]----[]---------[]-----[_____________]-----[_____________]

I love it. Now I need to convert all my dank memes to ascii.

what is wotc?

we may not like reddit community, but some subreddits (e.g. music related ones) are pretty neat to browse (without a user account). cortex is a CLI reddit client where you can browser subreddits and play posts in mpv directly.

other than that, mutt is best email client.

I'm autistic enough to be using Emacs & Stumpwm for a majority of my workflow day-to-day, but jebus this idea of having to quantify said 'tism ... as a badge of pride, get someself esteem fags.

Not as a badge of pride but rather to organise ourselves into a collective so that we can spread this idea, because there is a problem and we need to fix it.

?

asciinema.org/browse/featured

Ooh this looks like some great 'ware.
This Tetris game looks great (except for the foreground text color)
asciinema.org/a/20946

asciinema.org/a/41475
Check out this ASCII art in the beginning, absolutely nice.

So I found it, can someone explain why they're ORing each channel with 0?
// This might work well enough for a terminal's colors: treat RGB as XYZ in a// 3-dimensional space and go midway between the two points.exports.mixColors = function(c1, c2, alpha) { // if (c1 === 0x1ff) return c1; // if (c2 === 0x1ff) return c1; if (c1 === 0x1ff) c1 = 0; if (c2 === 0x1ff) c2 = 0; if (alpha == null) alpha = 0.5; c1 = exports.vcolors[c1]; var r1 = c1[0]; var g1 = c1[1]; var b1 = c1[2]; c2 = exports.vcolors[c2]; var r2 = c2[0]; var g2 = c2[1]; var b2 = c2[2]; r1 += (r2 - r1) * alpha | 0; g1 += (g2 - g1) * alpha | 0; b1 += (b2 - b1) * alpha | 0; return exports.match([r1, g1, b1]);};

that literally does nothing. there is no good reason to have left that in.

In javascript all arithmetic is on 64 bit floats. The "|0" coerces it back to a 32 bit integer, which also lets the compiler eliminate it and turn the rest into integer arithmetic. This trick is one of the main ones that allowed asm.js / webassembly to be efficient.

oh shit its js not C lol thanks

Text isn't the only thing that can be minimal. Plan 9 is more minimal than an ncurses app running in an xterm. Going only for text is misguided.

Plan 9 is what Unix should have been.

Is there any point to using dvtm over tmux?

The fact that this is a title, that people feel inclined to self-ascribe -- is faggy, sorry. As if this people are part of some new/big counter movement/revolution, when text-centered and relatively architecturally simple interfaces are all over Unix-likes. It also doesn't help the given title has the forced, shitty "punk" appending to it either.

Then draft a distro, a good 65 to 75+% of compenents are there, depending on how you quantify such things. The issue is, there is no real quantification; I believe the nebulous of this terminology is purposeful and it reeks of borderline virtue singaling and circle-jerking, Sorry, just can't stand posturing -- all talk, no walk and I did it for years, to this degree ... if not notably worse. I was a total faggot, never got anything done -- but had head in-the-clouds and justifying I could will such things into existence, without doing the legwork to specify the metrics necessary. Which ultimately is just the feel-goods. Now hate(d) that about myself and by effect the amount of time wasted there, and it annoys me to see how common it seems to be. Or, I could just be a cranky/tired faggot.

that sounds pretty sweet. who wants to do the logo?

Make it a Void fork and I'm sold.

I'm not like you, I'm actually, working on text-based stuff to replace some tools I use.
Stop projecting.

I don't particularly like the name either, but I do appreciate having something to search for in the catalog. Honestly though, I'm not really sure what you are even talking about. I have a suspicion that whatever faggotry you see here might just be a projection of yours.

Maybe it's time to try the alternatives.

Currently playing around with the X11 library for C/C++.
GTK and QT are annoying me greatly.

Here's how I achieved pic related:

#include #include #include #include int main(void) { Display *d; Window w; XEvent e; char *msg = "DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED"; int s; d = XOpenDisplay(NULL); if (d == NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "Cannot open display\n"); exit(1); } s = DefaultScreen(d); w = XCreateSimpleWindow(d, RootWindow(d, s), 10, 10, 100, 100, 1, BlackPixel(d, s), WhitePixel(d, s)); XSelectInput(d, w, ExposureMask | KeyPressMask); XMapWindow(d, w); while (1) { XNextEvent(d, &e); if (e.type == Expose) { XFillRectangle(d, w, DefaultGC(d, s), 20, 20, 10, 10); int k = 0; for(k = 50; k < 2000; k+=10) XDrawString(d, w, DefaultGC(d, s), 10, k, msg, strlen(msg)); for(k = 50; k < 2000; k+=10) XDrawString(d, w, DefaultGC(d, s), 300, k, msg, strlen(msg)); } if (e.type == KeyPress) printf("%d\n", e.xkey.keycode); //break; } XCloseDisplay(d); return 0;}

compiled using gcc file.c -lX11

nice man

you could have a go with xcb its meant to be a slightly tidier more uniform version of x11. if you're happy stick with x11 though.

1. Draw
2. Step
3. Clear
4. Go to 1.

Organise your main loop like this.

text-mode.tumblr.com/

You might want to also checkout sta.li/ and similar.

Show me a repo. And show me a repo that is blatantly architecturally clear, that too there isn't a 1000x similar clones floating about. Without proof, it's pretty much in-arguably not projection -- it's identifying a common behavior of unproductive faggots; Also formerly being one such of these faggots, doesn't mean it's projection -- that assumes I have carried on insecurities and are trying to posthoc apply it to others as a means of physiological relief one way or another. Nah, I realized how relevant and damaging this kind of methodology is to momentum/progress.

That being said, sure, let's assume you're not one such of these people; Good on you (I'd be glad to be wrong), but that doesn't make such behaviors any less common from what I've seen in the general population.

I've been on *chan's tech board since about middle school; years (I'm 23 now), I've seen collectives and grandiose projects come and go and go and go. It is VERY rare such things get even close to getting past the bullshiting/proposal phrase. The few I have been relatively successful had relatively clear goals and means to clear means to get to those goals; The specifications as-is found ITT are so nebulous, it's hard for me to see such a thing as a separate entity. Hope I'm wrong, I agree with such platitudes -- but I think over the years, I've gotten less and less optimistic. As posted above, I by no means see it as projection -- just hostile pessimism. And really I don't want to be hostile, I'm just annoyed how common these things are and want people to succeed.

But also, the past two weeks I've been mentally wiped -- so, I'm sure such ideas haven't and even in this, aren't as non-polarizingly obnoxious than they would have been at the very start of the month.

dvtm and tmux have a slightly different window models. You might have a nice time using abduco alone to suspend sessions rather than tux if you only need one thing. There's no killer feature though. Terminal panes/window groups are a solved problem.

Actually there might not be an equivalent to tmuxinator for dvtm but maybe it's just built in.

It's a transpiled programming language+library combo for creating software that uses curses. Right now I'm preparing to add optional type-enforcement, default values for functions among a lot of other things (the ones I mentioned are just my highest priority ones).

github.com/faissaloo/PyG-Latin

Just a side note, ignore the documentation, it's extremely out of date and inaccurate, I added and changed a bunch of stuff since I wrote it but haven't had the time to completely rewrite it. If you want to see what the code looks like I suggest going into tests/ and looking at the stuff in there. This most certainly isn't a project that I'll be abandoning though, I've already been working on it for about 6 months.

I do also have another side project which I'm using to learn C, which is an in terminal object editor for Game Maker using ncurses and xmllib2. It's in somewhat early stages (almost finished the parsing of the XML and turning it into a bunch of structs) but I do really need it since every other Game Maker editor is an IDE that tries to be like Game Maker's IDE, that is, very bloated.

Alpine surely
musl + busybox is great for a small footprint

>You might want to also checkout sta.li/ and similar.
That does actually seem like I really good start, if we're making an ASCIIpunk OS, we should fork Stali but make it actually practical, because right now it's way too minimalist because of suckless as said.
I suggest we use dvtm like suggested, as well as zsh or at least bash.

So who here can run an Overkill server?

artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~brain/0verkill/

For what purpose? What's wrong with your current OS?

OP, that tentatively brought up bundling such things into a custom distro then sta.li, here -- and from what I've seen ITT, depending on where one places the metrics for the loosely quantified statements above ... sans just packaging a DE, there are some lower-end decisions that would just be inherently incompatible with most existing distros.

I have no stake in the game really anyways. I'm pretty happy for the next 2-3 years where I am right now -- and given to when that time starts to runs out, I have a slow but semi-reliable path to where I want to be in 10. Just thought I'd share an existing project, with similar goals.

Oh sweet, it can convert "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong" into Tolkien's elvish script.
`Yb. .dP' .dP"Yb `Yb. .dP"Yb `Yb db dP' db dP' d' `Yb db dP' d' Yb Yb "Ybaaaaaaaaad8' "Ybaaaaaaaaad8' Yb 'Yb `Yb.d888b `Y8888888b. 'Yb `Yb dP' `Yb.d88b d88b 'Yb `Yb.d88b d88b `Yb d88b d88b 'Yb `Yb.d888b Yb 'Yb `Yb d88b d88b .dP' dP' 88 `Yb d888b `Yb dP' 'Yb `Yb d88b d88b .dP' dP' 88 dPYb 88 88' 8Y .dP' 88 Yb dP 88' 8Y 8b 88 88' 8Y 8b 88P 8Y 8b 88 88' 8Y dPYb 88 88P 8Y 8b 88 88 88 88P 88 Yb dP 88 88P 8Y 8b 88 88 88 ,dP Yb 88 88 8P ,dP 88 YbdP 88 8P 88 88 88 8P 88 88 8P 88 88 88 8P ,dP Yb 88 88 8P 88 Y8 Y8 .88 88 8P YbdP 88 88 8P 88 Y8 Y8 .88 .dP' `Yb. .8P 88 ,dP 88 . .8P .8P 88 ,dP ,dP .8P 88 ,dP ,dP .8P bdP bdP .8P 88 ,dP .dP' `Yb. .8P .8P bdP bdP `Y88P`Y88P'88 88 .dP .8P .8P .8P bdP bdP `Y88P`Y88P'88 88 `Yb...dP dP' b 88 88 88 88 .88888888b. dP' b 88 88 `"""' Y. ,P 88 88 88 88 Y. ,P 88 .8P `""' .8P .8P .8P Y8. `""' Y8.

fuck no, those are the bloatested worst programs ever

Top fucking kek. I could understand if you didn't like, say, fish, because the syntax can be a little weird, but bash and zsh?

fish is top tier and it takes like 1/2 a seconds to convert bash to fish

Radare2, FOSS version of IDA pro. Can disassemble a lot of architectures, some important and other hobby-tier.
Some guys involved with Void Linux have been involved with this project as well.

25 minute video explaining everything
youtube.com/watch?v=iMJrt_HTdmU

I never said I don't like fish. I think fish is great, I just would understand better if the user didn't like it for having a slightly different syntax, rather than hating on bash and zsh.

never heard of it. anyone play any roguelikes or dwarf fortress?

It's not really about ASCII though if unicode is allowed.
I submit that we should call it charpunk
and if you ever made a distro you could call it charOS

I'll just drop this here.
textfiles.com/

This is gorgeous. Animated ASCII is always nice to look at.

Fuuuck that looks way better than I thought it would be. I have to check that out now.

It's a bit hard to handle since there's not that much info about how radare2 works, but it's pretty powerful and runs on a shitload of platforms.

just passing through

someone say df?

done

It just sounds cooler

Just found out about LFM, and it looks great
youtube.com/watch?v=Ru84r0mOr0I

Not really

how do these 2 panel things work?

cool

we have an IRC now: rizon #textpunk

Imagine a DooM-feeling free-for-all shooter game but instead of polygons in an X window it's ASCii characters in a terminal.

Yes, it does. GUIs, mobile apps and modern websites made by web artists with billions of authoring frameworks due to lack of programming knowledge are the bane of blind people. Text mode interfaces can go a very, very long way towards simplifying their usage experience if they have a Braille text terminal.

Sauce: I did my high school social service at a school for blind kids, some of the staff were blind themselves, and since I was the one who knew best computers I was basically the resident IT technician.

Why is it so fucking input-laggy?

Sick

With mc you hit tab to switch between the two.

Text-mode Links 2.12 master race. Graphical browsers need not apply.

SO like, I found this gem the other day...

>lush.sourceforge.net/

Holy fucksauce...

Come back when you've tried lynx, kiddo.

mps-youtube is great for browsing YouTube without needing a whole browser.
github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube

Wow, Radare2 looks really good. I'm trying to get into reverse engineering so I'll be getting that ASAP.

I spent a while writing this new summary of the philosophy+links, if I've missed anything just clone it, modify it and post the new one in this thread or something:
pastebin.com/raw/KSjNUHr1

keep fighting the good fight bro.

I use w3m alot when I want to read shit on shit hardware with shit wifi and don't want to know how I can make my penisnlarger with a cup of orange juice on the side of my browser. Am I AsciiPunk?

oh man i just installed this, it's awesome.

protip: on void, this shit is already in the repos. a quick xbps-install -S mps-youtube will suffice.

Thanks, will do

This is pretty sweet. The only thing I can't figure out is if you can search for videos by upload date.

Added some more software and made a few tweaks, including adding a few categories and changing the naming scheme to be in hex because hex is cool.
pastebin.com/raw/JegsF1tF

Added some dank formatting:
pastebin.com/raw/Lc7fG9wx

no hex is a stupid transexual degenerate

I don't think a numbering system can be transexual

20:00 what gender are you, and do you have a dick
20:01 I'm a mtf and I do have a dick

I stand corrected

There's a command for that but I already forgot how it's done.

so dank I LOVE IT

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've been thinking in this same vein recently, especially when it comes to web design.

What would be the best way to make a minimalist blog in html only?

One could just make each blog its on page, and then have the 'front page' be a page with links to your posts with the newest at the top, but I wanted it to be a litttle prettier than that.

Use tables for the layout of your page.
Use a static site generator so that you can both easily edit your pages with templates and such and not have to have bloated backend serving it: staticgen.com/
Use this for hosting, it's minimalist, fast and to the point: github.com/jcalvinowens/asmhttpd

I'm not really big into web-dev so that's about as much help as I can give. Also, when you say 'html only' you mean no css right?

Yes, but mostly because I don't want to bother learning css. I learned html when I was a middle schooler in 1999 and rarely use it.

I post this on 4taba, might else share this here.

For anyone who masturbate to music 24/7 a day, you can listen to sound cloud with ncurses based API shitz now.

github.com/kulpae/cloudruby

You can do the query and it will list up to 100 tracks in your playlist.

after install type

cloudruby $search "your dank title here with spaces doesn't matter"

I personally like remix shit. Maybe that's just me.

I downloaded mps-youtube and it doesn't work right. Instead of playing the videos like it would if I just used mpv and youtube-dl, it downloads the youtube video. I mean, all mps-youtube brings to the table is the search function. Everything else I could do already without it. If it can't even invoke mpv properly, why should I bother?

how safe is asmhttpd?

now mps-youtube is crashing on me. Seems it doesn't recognize that I have youtube-dl installed already and is trying to use pafy.

mps-youtube has been one huge disappointment, which is too bad, because I really like the idea. I might try browsing youtube with lynx and copying urls to the command line manually.

Check out amasci.com/

He's kept his webpage the same format and layout since 1994. He still updates it once a year or so.

Great, now this shit is making viewtube crash firefox, so I can't watch youtube on firefox either. This shit is fucking stupid.

sudo apt-get install aria2
sudo apt-get install mpv

Then in mpsyt:

set download_command aria2c --dir=%d --out=%f %u

set player mpv

set show_video true

I already have mpv installed. I've been using viewtube to watch youtube videos for about a year. What I'd like to do is get that working normally again.

* cow * 11/96 .= , =. _ _ /'/ )\,/,/(_ \ \ `//-.| ( ,\\)\//\)\/_ ) | //___\ `\\\/\\/\/\\///' / ,-"~`-._ `"--'_ `"""` _ \`'"~-,_ \ `-. '_`. .'_` \ ,-"~`/ `.__.-'`/ (-\ /-) |-.__,' || | \O) /^\ (O/ | `\\ | / `\ / \\ \ / `\ / `\\ `-. /' .---.--.\ `\\/`~(, '() (' /(O) \\ _,.-.,_) // \\ `\'` / jgs / | || `""""~"` /' |__|| `o

Why would you include stdio.h when you are using iostream?

I don't know, I've never pentested it. Should be fine though, since it's so obscure.

Pls go

Not really secure per se, just less likely to have any flaws found in it.

this is really the least of his problems

forgive me master, i'm just a amateur c++ programmer.

>ZSH - zsh.org/
>LUSH - lush.sourceforge.net/
What's going on here? zsh is bloated, and lush is not a command line shell.
These seem more fitting:
- dash: gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/dash/
- rc: tobold.org/article/rc

How is zsh bloated?

I've done those changes here:
pastebin.com/raw/FNVHxDQg

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOMDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOMMOOOZMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOMMMOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8OOOOOOOOOOOZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZOOOOMMMMNOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZZOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOMMMMMMOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZOOOOOOOOOMMMM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8MMMMMMZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNOOOOOOOOOOMMMOOOOOOOOOOOZMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOMMOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOMMOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOONMMMOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO$MMMMOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDMMMMMMMM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8MMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOMMMMMMOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM8OOOOOOOOZZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOZMMMMOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8OOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOMMMOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMOOOOMMOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMOOOOOOOOMMMMMMNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNMNNMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Number of .c/.h lines:
gnu bash: 138227, 13746
zsh: 135589, 5698
shivers scsh: 118475, 27131, 1985
templeos (an entire os with a graphical environment, a compiler and 3D games) : 119115, 0
mksh: 29223, 2562
dash: 16503, 2084
freebsd sh: 15453, 1622
es shell: 9017, 1436
rc: 5989, 327

Byron's rc != rc
OpenBSD's pdksh (and it's linux port loksh) and mksh are better than dash for interactive use.

wwwwwww

What I'm seeing is that it has more features that are useful for speeding up your workflow than bash and is still fewer lines than bash.

Having fewer lines than a particular bloated thing doesn't make something not bloated.

i don't think that's true, what makes you think that?

Here are some more suggestions:
- add pdksh like says, dash is good for scripting but not interactively
- remove zsh
- add acme as a text editor: acme.cat-v.org/
- add ii as an IRC client: tools.suckless.org/ii/
- add sbase and ubase instead of memish assembly programs: core.suckless.org/sbase core.suckless.org/ubase
- add Alpine Linux as a distro because it's actually useful, unlike sta.li, which barely got started: alpinelinux.org/

And get rid of the haxory frames around the text. They make it harder to edit, view or process the text, all for the sake of eye candy, which goes against all points this thing is supposed to be about:
0. they're not ASCII
1. they're not simple or concise
2. they add a lot of bytes (probably double the file size, with all that whitespace) for no useful purpose

OpenBSD's fork of pdksh != pdksh
irssi is fine
plan9port masterrace

They are: theasciicode.com.ar/
These characters have existed since the days of DOS. Also:
so even if it wasn't ASCII it would still be ok. Still, I'd rather not start screwing around with the mess that is unicode.

This isn't suckless. Simplicity and non-bloat doesn't mean you have to go full diet and not have anything visually appealing. Also, I find that it makes it much easier to read compared to how it was before: pastebin.com/raw/JegsF1tF

Sorry.
irssi is fine. I don't think it should be removed. But ii does cool things with text, and is useful for other purposes.
It's good to add that one too.

>They are: theasciicode.com.ar/
Yeah, my bad. They're part of extended ASCII. I just saw that they were multiple bytes in UTF-8.

If you want to make it easier to read, use horizontal lines, not frames. The frames make it look terrible on 80 character-width terminals.

The following is a list of software that suckless.org considers harmful (it's linked by them):
harmful.cat-v.org/software/

Sometimes, suckless sounds like a parody of "muh bloat" fags. Things like dwm requiring a motherfucking recompilation to tweak settings is stupid when you could just add a few more lines of code to read a config file and let the user tweak the program from there. They also tend to treat bugs as intentional features put there to make their software less flexible/elitist, which makes me seriously reconsider if this is a case of Poe's Law.

To put it some way, dwm is to suckless what i3 is to ASCIIpunk.

People are also taking the name ASCIIpunk too seriously, or trying to drag it towards suckless-ism too hard, when it was never about this, according to the OP and the previous thread. These ASCIIart images, as cool as they look, aren't supposed to be used as actual image replacements, nor does everything have to be a CLI utility. The idea behind ASCIIpunk is that, if something can be represented using plaintext, it should be represented using plaintext, and if it can't, it should be kept as simple as possible. The "avoid bloat" rule of ASCIIpunk is more about end-user simplicity and speed/sane memory requirements than some abstract memory usage ricer dickwaving (if it takes up 5kb of memory, but its interface is so full of buttons and stupid colors that it hurts to look at it, it's not ASCIIpunk).

To me, the perfect example of an ASCIIpunk situation would be xombrero (perhaps an untabbed version of xombrero, to be used with a tiling WM or tabbing software) displaying a Markdown page with a conservative CSS, like most Markdown viewers do. Simple, optionally controlled with a keyboard but with some buttons just in case, and with just about the necessary fioritures to make everything more human-readable. Sure, surf displaying a barebones hypertext ASCII-only document would be more "minimal", but not necessarily simpler, and same goes for the elinks masturbators.

OP here.
Yes.
This is exactly what ASCIIpunk is to me, you have 100% got the idea. I somewhat disagree with your point on elinks though, simple HTML pages don't need a full GUI browser for them.

this list is from the plan 9 guys, i think you are confused. what do you find impractical from the right row?
i don't think their view of suckless is as narrow as you say; geez, they recommend webkit/gecko-based browsers.
suckless.org/rocks

; make
; make install
HOLY SHIT TOO HARD.

never tried i3, but it looks more similar to wmii than dwm.

Done, how's this?
pastebin.com/raw/gTRLsM3W

I know but it's linked by the suckless guys as a list of bad software. It's not so much that I disagree with what they recommend (there are a few, like ed and their questionable choice of licences), it's what they don't (C++, Python, Qt, among others)

s/pdksh/mksh/
g/KSH/d
s/LFM/ranger/
add noice to file managers. also tons of stuff put all-caps for no reason.

IIRC python was in the right row a few years ago.
ok richard.

I'm not saying CLI browsers aren't ASCIIpunk (in fact, they are ASCIIpunk as fuck), just that putting them as the ASCIIpunk way to browse the Internet is silly.

If what you are trying to display is akin to an info page then by all means, yes, use a CLI browser, because you don't really need much more. Sadly, 99% of websites will use relevant images or visual marks (and I am even talking about simple websites) to make the website saner to browse, and that's when using links/elinks/lynx is just masochism. You're probably better off using your graphical browser most of the time, then switch to your text browser when you want to read some very specific websites.

Have you tried browsing Holla Forums from a text browser? Given it is not exactly the simplest website ever, it still should be trivial to display, but text browsers can't into CSS (can't blame them, text browsers shouldn't into CSS) and end up displaying some really ugly mess of lines one after another, without any sane visual marks to make eyeing the content easier. It is hard to tell where do posts start, and where do they end. This is because these browsers were never made for HTML5, nor HTML5 was made thinking about them. Leaving aside that HTML5 is garbage, it is almost a miracle you can even get to make some (little) sense of what you are seeing, considering they are almost incompatible paradigms.

You know what would be ASCIIpunk? A text-browsing protocol designed to work with ncurses, far away from the horrors of the modern web, but still concise and nice to read. Imagine this thread with OP inside a level 1 box (1 column border margin), and all its replies in either level 1 boxes in different colors (OP would be color A, 1-san would be color B, 2 would be color C, 3 would be color B again, and so on) or level 2 boxes in a "pyjama" pattern. The reader is well aware of the "information units" in the page and their hierarchy, and everything looks isomorphic, probably even among different websites if the protocol is simple enough. Think of something like BBS software, but simpler and standardized.

Totally with you there.

Actually it was. Just you faggots never added port 5048 when you telnet'd in.

Also Tmux sucks ass.

Yeah I ran it, currently working on BBS software written in Python.

Thank you.

Synchronet is shit. Use MysticBBS, but even that is shit.

I'll put mine back up. but it costs a fucking fortune in electrics.

wakemeupinside.tk on port 5048

Better use it, cause I am poor as it is.

Tor address is in the /cyber/ thread.

>>>/cyber/38309

Who are you quoting?

Chans: > != Quote

BBS's: > == Quote

Boards/Forums: > == Quote

Crawl back to your mama's uterus little boy.

sure thing, honey.

It is a sure thing, baby.

No, you're so new that you don't know that things like ">implying" are informal quotes. You're describing what someone said if you do that. You just put some text in a quote for no reason in particular.

fuck off you too, >implying is fucking cancer.

No I am putting thing in quotes in order to use it as if it is a caption.

Been using fucking chans since '08

This.

Get bent.

I never said it wasn't.

Help doesn't seem to have any information about it.

I think it's easy enough to browse a place like this, but the real problem comes when you actually want to participate in a thread. The catalogue doesn't really work either.

I figured it our actually. You just have to type "set order date".

Is my asian porn still there?

just never ever go to /jp/ or a textboard with this mentality. besides, this statement is logically wrong. they are also quotes.

there is no elitism, you might think you're better than people who greentext but it's just pointless hostility and makes the place nasty and uncomfy. 4chan /a/ and /jp/ is always open if you want a board exactly like that.

It's actually whiners that ruin sites. complaining about the way people express themselves is retarded. and whining about memes when you're using the 'who are you quoting' meme? retarded.

I just want you to realize you aren't better than these people because you (think) you have X years more experience and knowledge of /jp/ memes, in fact this type of posting ruins sites. Try to have fun here instead of autistically bullying people about the correct use of some piece of markup that took on a different purpose than what you're used to.

nice pic "everyone I don't like is part of a group we don't like around here".

"Be descriptive, not prescriptive! There's no cause for you to make value judgements about other people using the quote feature in a way different from how you're expecting. It doesn't hurt you and I'm sure you'll pick up quite quickly when people are using it as a direct quote and when they are (sometimes humorously) paraphrasing after you've been here a while."

LMAO Internet high five dude XD

Could this be tied in with backward compatibility at all, or would it just be a tangential benefit if it did?

It's always bothered me on some level that a text-only webpage [or text+ image thumbnails] is often unusable on old hardware, even when you could make something that looked 99% as good run on hardware from the mid-90s.

But then to a degree this goes beyond simply avoiding bloat into also laying things out in a way appreciative of the limitations of older systems (i.e. bringing back the dreaded requirement of ie6 compatibility because a given system can't run anything better.)

From a personal perspective it occurred to me that it would be an interesting challenge to make things that would be functional even on the weakest hardware I own, even if turning it into a coherent ideal would be difficult since different people own wildly differing things (why stop with Windows 3.1? you don't need any more than an apple 2! if you want to send images put your address on the webpage and offer to mail them! - and make sure it's in black and white for our budget palmtop users!)

REXPaint just hit 1.0
gridsagegames.com/rexpaint/

I don't think so, in fact, backwards compatbility is the source of a hell of a lot of bloat. However, backwards compatibility and making something efficient enough that even older computers can run it are two different things and I think you'll want to differentiate between them. IE6 compatibility = backwards compatbility, writing software for old machines = creating software efficient enough that it runs on older hardware. If you're going to write software for machines which have things missing from them compared to modern computers, don't target modern systems, keep it to the platform it was designed for rather than trying to force it to be compatible with everything, because that would just create bloat.

BBS will be on 9pm-6am DST. I have to restrict hours as I can't afford to run it 24/7

that's asking for trouble. do you need it to work on ie 6?

that said, i have a lot of sympathy for poorfags and thirdworldfags who might just be trying to get by with what they can get

youtube.com/watch?v=kLpyuaNyli0

Is spectrwm ASCIIpunk?

Pretty sure tiling wm are ASCII as fuck since they're minimal.

Software compatibility, I can see the obvious chance bloat. How does it cause bloat on the web?
[By nature it would seem to replace the worst sources of bloat like unnecessary JS or unnecessary laughably huge images with a few possibly inefficient kludges for mutual compatibility that would still leave you far ahead of most pages.]

Does it need to? Nope, but in website terms it might provide a useful exercise in "If this will run properly on a Pentium with 16mb of RAM it should be fine on my i3 with 4gb."

right, but if they're using a pentium with 16mb of ram they can still upgrade software to something minimal and well written in $currentyear. ie6 needs to be taken out back and shot for being nonstandard

linusakesson.net/programming/tty/

ttypunk is better

TTY(1) General Commands Manual TTY(1)NAME tty – return user's terminal nameSYNOPSIS tty [-s]DESCRIPTION The tty utility writes the name of the terminal attached to standard input to standard output. The name that is written is the string returned by ttyname(3). If the standard input is not a terminal, the message “not a tty” is written. The options are as follows: -s Don't write the terminal name; only the exit status is affected when this option is specified. The -s option is deprecated in favor of the “test -t 0” command.EXIT STATUS The tty utility exits 0 if the standard input is a terminal, 1 if the standard input is not a terminal, or >1 if an error occurred.SEE ALSO stty(1), test(1), ttyname(3), tty(4)STANDARDS The tty utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (“POSIX.1”) specification.

tty stands for teletype, an archaic synonym for terminal.

basicbitch.software/

is this textpunk y/n?

I think so, the page loads fast, it has minimal css and data is limited to what the user is looking for

agreed

that's a great article

it just occurred to me why the fight against bloated software is actually pretty punk
planned obsolescence pushes us to buy new hardware to increase profits and sustain the economy
it's rebelling against the established order of disposable hardware and the constant upgrade cycle

I like this idea

The tty emulation layer is the definition of bloat, we need to shed it if we want to move forward.

What would be a lightweight chan or forum solution? All the chan software I've found is shit that requires at least some javascript. NoNonsenseBB looks pretty good for a php bulletin board system, but there's no blocking users or ip's, and there's no captcha. I could probably add that if I wasn't a shit programmer, and I don't even know php.

Could a primitive imageboard type thing be whipped up with old fashioned cgi scripts?

The software you're posting with right now doesn't require any javascript. It does provide it, but you can do without.

Can you post without it? I have js enabled for 8ch, but its been so long since I whitelisted it, I don't remember why.

Well I'll be. Its a pain in the ass, but you can do it. I don't want a million boards. Can I just use pure vichan and still get by without javascript?

You can't post without js. I've been looking into the textboards like kareha. Its hard to find info, but I'll keep digging.

You can. This post was made with Dillo, which doesn't even support javascript.

Probably, although I haven't tried it.

You can also use Lynxchan. It doesn't require javascript either (except server-side :^)). The biggest drawback in my experience is that the moderation tools are badly designed, but they're still enough to get the job done.

in my personal experience modern minimal software often still runs worse than period-designed software on old hardware.

i'm not saying to write specifically to IE6's quirks, just working within it's limitations so that something functional is still yielded. i might be forgetting just how dire and non standard 6 was. [but even then i'd still be rolling back to netscape or something.]

yeah that's true actualy, forget ttypunk

so many cancer in your post bro

github.com/roperzh/jroff

idea for a textpunk ipfs project: IFPS man page viewer app.

__ __ __ __ __
/\ . \ \ /\ . \ /\ . \ /\ . \ /\ . \ ::
/ \ \ \/ \ \ \/ \ \ \/ \ \ \/ \ _\ ::
\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ ::
\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \__ \ :
: \ \ . \ \ \ .\ \ \ .\ \ \ .\ /\ .\
:: \ \___\ \\\ \_\ \_\/ \___\
:: \ / /\ / / /\ / /\ / /\ / /
:: \/___/ \/// \/_/ \/_/ \/___/

:: :: :: ::
:::: _ :::: _ :::: _ :::: _
/ | \ :::::: / \ :::::: / \ :::::: / \ :::::: / \
/ | \ :::: / | \ :::: / | \ :::: / | \ :::: / ___\
/ | \ :: / \ :: / /_ :: / /_ :: / \
/ | \ / \ / \ / \ / \
/ | \/ | \/ | \/ | \/__ \
\ | . /\ | . /\ | . /\ | . /\ . /
\___/ \_|_/ \___/ \___/ \___/

Weird. I couldn't do it on firefox with noscript enabled.

I don't want to have to babysit the fuck out of it to stop spammers. I was thinking simple captcha like rei-ayanami.com has. As far as php, yes its something I wanted to avoid, hence cgi. I don't think there's anything wrong with a little proper cgi. Its all done server side. The whole thing that makes js such shit is that its done client side.

I agree with you on client side vs server side

Whats a lightweight asciipunk approved database solution. The best I've found so far is sqllite.

I'd just go with SQLite if I were you, I don't think many of us here with databases too often. SQLite seems simple and bloatless enough from some casual reading.

This magazine looks pretty ASCIIpunk
phrack.org/issues/69/4.html#article

yeah sqlite is decent.

It could be argued that flat file text database are asciipunk but there not actually good. often weaker in terms of security and slower and it's just, yeah don't waste your time..

criticalengineering.org/

pastebin.com/raw/P7fAF9vj
Just finished version 0x8, any more suggestions?

What time zone is DST?

Also, if it's expensive to run, have you considered buying smaller machine that's better on electricity? I would thinking running a small BBS wouldn't need too much power. I used to host a forum on a netbook.

Yes, it has the ascii-punk aesthetic and is mostly pure html except for [trigger warning]Google Analytics and some weird unused "more" button (for mobile?).

That's a cool article btw, whiteboard coding is mostly under attack from SJWs who hate it cause it's relatively objective.

I use ranger for a file manager. Its terminal based. It was the ricer file manager in the install gentoo wiki

It's amazing how this a simple concept, yet a majority of websites don't get this.

noice>ranger

Acme is my favorite tho.

What do you think makes noice better than ranger? The thing I like about ranger is the picture in the terminal hack.

this is amazing dude nice work thank you

ranger is too slow and noice interface is much simpler. i don't care about pic preview.

aachan.sageru.org/
4-ch.net/4ch
afternoon.dynu.com/letterbox.html
secretareaofvipquality.org/saovq/

telnet wakemeupinside.tk 5048
Trying 198.105.244.228...
Trying 198.105.254.228...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

What's wrong with tmux? Bloat?

I love Ruby. Thank you.

guhnoo.org manages.

not really, just a preference probably.

I decided to go ahead and write one with cgi scripts. The only problem is I'm not sure how to implement bans, and I have no idea how I'm going to save all the data, I was thinking sqlite, but I don't know anything simpler. I don't know sqlite, either

So learn SQL and sqlite.

More than likely Zapod hasn't been around for a few days. I'm sure he'll put it back up when he's around.

WE HAVE AN ASCIIPUNK CHAN! GET IN HERE!
ucavviu7wl6azuw7.onion/overchan.random-0.html

no we don't, fuck off

Except we do
Someone's on their period

your 'overchan' thing is not part of textpunk

Its not mine, but I think it's very ASCIIpunk
Check
Check
github.com/majestrate/nntpchan
Check

Also, it's not overchan, the board I linked happened to be an overchan board, the whole thing is distributed

DOT ONION RUSHOLE OVERCHAN

please fuck off

Not seeing the issue, if everyone is exodusing anyway then I might as well shill an ASCIIpunk node

That's because NoScript just blocks tags, it doesn't conform to standards by letting tags through.

why don't we make a terminal/command line (netbsd-ncurses) interface to lynxchan?

I've been using Weechat for years and I just now discovered the joy of the scripts people make for it.
Also cmus. cmus is an amazing little thing.

Tomb is my favorite file crypto software. dyne.org/software/tomb/

I also use these tools every day.
hughbien.com/thyme/
github.com/pachacamac/markdown-converter

?.$$$$$" `L ;;;;;;;, .`.`.`.`$;??h,_ `h ?$$$$$ ""' `;;;;;;;;, `.`.`.`.hJ" `"??cc, $ ?"???"??" j' :;;;;;;;;;;, .`.`.`.`$ $ ;;, $ :;;;;;;;;;;;, `.`.`.`.$c,,__ $ i;;, h `':;;;;;;;;;, `.`.`.`h `" ?c `$;;;;, $r `:;;;;;;;;, .`.`.`.$ J$i;;h $; `:;;;;;;;, `.`.`.`$""=, .$$$$h;, ,C; .j???c, `;t;;;;, `.`.`.?c $$$$$$h;, $;, J;;;;i;L. :?);;, .`.`.?h,_ $$$$$$$; j'; $;;;$h9;L `:?);;, ,C?h. ?$$$$$$; $;, `$;?ii$;;h `;L;;, (C;;?h 3$$$$?; J?;, `h;;;;;;P :;L;, `$;;$?L .$$$$;;' ,C;;, `?CjjF `;3;, $;;?h$ $$$$;;: $;;;, `;3; `h;;;F $$$?;; `.JF;;;, ;3; `hiF J" $$?;' .`.`.c$h;;;;, ;;f;, ,;iF z" z C;; .`.`JCCC$;;;;; ;;$;;;; `;i;, ;;J" J' J' ;; .`.` JF;;??$hi;;;;. .;;$;;;;;, ;?$;;;, ,;;i$ J'.P ' `.`. ,C;;;;, `"h;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;i$?;;;;;;;, :;?h;;;;;;;;9"?. j',' .`.` .$;;;;' "??iijjjjii?""`.`;;;;;;;, `;;?h;;;;iP $,'.P `.`. ,C;;;, `;;;;, `;;;J""' `h $ .`. ,C;;;;' ;;, ;;;9 $$ `.` ,C;;;;f `;;, `;;J r `L .` z$;;;;, `;, ;;9 $ h j"`h;;;' `;, ;;$ `r 3 j' ,c;;, ;, ;;$ $ `h .P

Does anybody have good guides on writing acme extensions?

the same way you write any other shell script, i guess.

tim.thechases.com/posts/cli/software-for-a-command-line-world/

textfiles.com/bbs/FIDONET/FIDONEWS/

6. NO GRAPHIC CHARACTERS! Believe it or not, not every one in the world has an IBM PC. My computer understands printable characters from 20 hex tofidonews -- 06 Mar 85 20:11:11 Page 4 7e hex. (Space to tilde) This is ASCII; "American Standard Code for Information Interchange". We are "Interchanging Information". Everything else is GARBAGE. ASCII is universal; Graphics are not.

I made a little script for viewing images in the terminal (only up to 256 if your terminal supports it)

I've been messing around with some UI elements using unicode
╭──────╮│button│╰──────╯╭───╮│ ↩ │╰───╯╭───────┬──╮│ ▴│ ││ ╽│ ││you ╿│ ││ can │↔ ││scroll││ ││ ││ ││ ▾│ │╰───────┴──╯╭──────────────╮│ □ option 1 ││ ■ option 2 ││ □ option 3 ││ □ option 4 ││ ■ option 5 │╰──────────────╯╭──────────────╮│ ○ option 1 ││ ● option 2 ││ ○ option 3 ││ ○ option 4 ││ ○ option 5 │╰──────────────╯

hmmm its kinda neat although the emojis broke it

16chan.nl/textpunk

Could you put up a repository? I'm interested in how you did it.

(trip checked)

OHH I already got this one like months ago. I used plowshare to download files from mediafire and numerous file hosting.

It's really damn awesome I could do this all in a terminal.

Not him but:
What you do is get the RGB values of each color in the available palette, convert them to LAB, then convert each RGB pixel in the image to LAB and find the color with the lowest euclidean distance in the palette generated before.

Yeah, do that if you want shit colors. You should use CIE2000

It's fast and it was for a curses game engine.

ive made a new board textonly on there to test it out 16chan.nl/textpunk

is that fucker getting run down by monseters INSIDE LAVA?

Just Google ASCII logo generator or something. There's at least one website with lots of font to chose from. I know cuz I used it

I remember VLC had an ascii 'viseo' output. Is it really ascii, and will it work in a terminal? I never tried back when I used VLC, and don't feel like installing it.

mplayer can do this too

kek

mpv with libcaca
mpv -vo=caca file

I guess I didn't compile mpv with caca support, because I know I have libcaca installed.

I want to try creating an ncurses interface using python and a RPi. Will i be able to have a dedicated box displaying the pressure outside?

Yeah, also, if that's all you're going to do with it you may as well write it in C. You'll get to grips with a new language, compelete your task and have it take up minimal resources which you could later use for other projects.

I'm afraid of C but it's something i would also try out.

Do you know you can view pdf,djvu in framebuffer?

You can use
$fbset -xres 1000
To reduce the used area for text in linux framebuffer.

In crt I prefer green
But due to low contrast ratio in
Lcd I prefer yellow

Fuck emojis, they are shit

If I were to set up a BBS, got it connected to a few NNTP groups, DOVENet, FidoNet, and some neat door games, and made it accessible over telnet and dialup, would you people use it?

I've got the hardware to set up something ridiculous like this, and seems like a cool side project.

Most importantly, what should such a system be called?

you're shit
💩💩💩💩

poosnet

I've programmed with ncurses in Python. I'm warning you that it's a bit dodgy. Things don't work like they should, even when you've done everything right. I've had confirmation of this behaviour when working with others on the same project as well.

Do it in C. It's much better.

Yeah, especially when it comes to colors, in which you're limited to 512 even in a terminal that supports because it doesn't support widechars properly (like, you can draw them and stuff, but you some parts like attribute setting still use normal chars) which still hasn't been fixed even though there are bug reports about this from years back.

I've been working on this for a while and just put up a repo:
neetco.de/chibi/rvrs

It's a clone of the real-life board game Reversi. I wrote it to learn ncurses and add to the ASCIIpunk movement. I think ncurses (and newt as well) interfaces should be our main way of fighting the GUI bloat.

I should mention that this has no machine-made moves - it's meant for two human players.

Also worth taking a look at:
GNU Go
GNU Chess
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page

This should be the standard of GNU minigames. Instead of like playing minigames such as solitaire and minesweeper in a windows style based gui, we should have minigames in ncurses as new trend of minigame instead.

im gonna fucking cum

it's beautiful!!

networked multiplayer please

tmux mustard race

Objectively bullshit

I think you mean less than <
Let's hope the rest of the logic is better written

Thanks for spotting that. READMEs are always last-minute rushes.

You're welcome to read the code anytime, as well.

I think it happened to me before on a pyqt project.
I hope i'll learn a few things.
Before i start learning i have one question: Best IDE?

Emacs
Vim
Notepad

sorry, i'm just here to snark at other people's minor mistakes. if i actually contributed anything i'd leave myself open to criticism

legit though, that interface is pretty nice

Here's something nifty:

github.com/vain/asciiworld

It can do multiple projections and night/day.

*tips fedora*

Oh shit! That's cool.

Damn fucking neat

post it

I don't want this thread to die.

Me neither, I think this is actually Holla Forums's biggest and only non-logo accomplishment.

Hello newfriend.

Newfriend? I've probably been here longer than you lol

No caustic criticism, user. I actually like you.

Whatever you're doing, you're doing great! You should be more open, you do have it in you!

Best wishes
-user

dropped

So what? Richard Feyman is a badass physicist, even if he is a kike.

Are you really trying to say science isn't science if it's discovered by a jew? So relativity isn't legit science either?

The fundamental laws of the universe don't change because of who discovered them.

Feynman sort of dropped a red-pill in one of his books. He was talking about attending a conference where this (((guy))) advocated for wealth redistribution. I think Feynman said something like: 'It always seems to be Jewish people arranging these kinds of conferences. I wonder why.'

But seriously, Feynman is awesome.

Well, yeah, but for a webpage to be IE6 compatible you have to add stuff to it. It's different than taking something from a program to make it retrocompatible. Instead of adding, you substract.

I just found out about this file manager and it looks really good, has everything I need with needless bloat and resource wastage:
github.com/FedeDP/ncursesFM
I think I might start using it as my file browser.

Could always use Ranger?

It's much faster.
Ranger uses 19.1mb to display my home folder while ncursesFM only uses 6.5mb. Ranger also uses 1-3% of my cpu when I scroll while ncursesFM only ever reaches 1%.

has everyone here fucked off to the textpunk nntpchan node?

I don't know that one.

Nope, I'm still here. Conversation just went stale I guess.

This is the textpunk NNTPchan node:
ucavviu7wl6azuw7.onion/

huh. one would expect a textpunk website to look good in a text browser...

God dammit, you don't live up to your name. A real textpunk community would run on gopher.

It wasn't meant to be a textpunk community, we just found it.
Besides, this is the best we've got and there's nothing un-textpunk about tor.

curseofwar
vimwiki
the einchan and oublie ssh boards.

Also, what's wrong with GNU Screen?

Also calcurse.

Seriously though, bring up your package manager, and search for 'ncurses,' you'll find all the ASCIIpunk shit you want.

Is there an idiots guide to using Gnu Screen?
Like, assume the user has a 72 IQ and wants to know how to get around in Gnu Screen.

Isn't GNU screen just a less ASCIIpunk dvtm?

shit/10

[bloat intensifies]

`screen`
C-a d
`screen -r`

ctrl-a+c to make new screens.
ctrl-a+n to switch to them.
ctrl-a+| or - to split screen.
ctrl-a+Q to go back to unsplit mode.

That's all I ever use.

GNU screen was the original nonbloat software. What does dvtm have that GNU screen doesn't?

371000 less bytes for the same functionality.

Sometimes more bytes is more efficient. Imagine if I have an array of non-negative numbers, and I need to search for one. I could spend a few extra bytes to determine if the number is non-negative before searching for it. Therefore, I save on the costly search operation for a number that I know is not in the array.

Sure, but unless you can prove there's a reason for all those bytes I don't see a reason to use Screen.

tepgeg

Can someone make me a a terminal script to achieve pic related.

ooops

thats fuckin awesome

GNU

I have never understood how these non-ASCII characters would be cool and why people mention them when discussing ASCII. [spoiler]It would annoy me exactly as much if you used newer emoji characters to create that[spoiler]

What is the origin of this and what is the script to do it?

ioccc.org/years.html

...fine, I'll check out dvtm.

Can you explain why GNU is bad?

Uh I tink you just indepedently rediscovered Usenet, m8.
The protocol doesn't care about formatting, only message IDs and other such info.
The client can be whatever you want, including an ncurses version with colorized rules. Heck, maybe you can even configure slrn to look like that.
Also the protocol allows for massive decentralization, so a single failure (or even several) doesn't bring the network down. People keep posting, and messages keep propagating, and eventually the downed nodes catch up with the feed (unless maybe they stayed down for a long time, and some of the heavily trafficed newsgroups already expunged some older posts, but that depends entirely on the retention of the node's parent feed).
Also you can put other URL schemes inside a message, including self-referenced ones to uuencoded or base-64 encoded binary data, such as an image (so long as its size doesn't exceed the maximum for a post).
The only problem is many ISPs don't carry Usenet anymore, but the NNTP protocol can be used anywhere you want. You could even have an imageboard like this with an alternate interface via NNTP. Of course, unless you're part of a network, you lose the benefits of decentralization, but hey at least you can still point a text-mode newsreader at it and enjoy.

I couldn't find src code for that MysticBBS thing. There's another one (Mconv BBS) that looks pretty simple and sweet.
sourceforge.net/projects/mconv/
mconv.sourceforge.net/
There's also DayDream for Unix. It's the port of an old Amiga BBS software. Old version here:
ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/bbs/!INDEX.html
Watch out for vulnerability in 2.9 - 2.13:
cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2001-1207/
There's also some new version on github, but I don't know how it compares to the old one.
Original website is here, but it's dead. Maybe some files still available via wayback engine (archive.org):
daydream.iwn.fi/
Some kind of weird related thing that looks cool:
mewbies.com/how_to_install_p.o.r._project.oldskool.revenge_tutorial.htm

I think teletype implies the old kind of device where the output is printed on paper instead of a screen. So it's more limited, because you can't do direct screen addressing (via ncurses or similar library) since the paper just scrolls one way, like a line printer.
But that's still good enough to run "ed" and many Unix commands. It's also the kind of terminal that David Ahl's BASIC COMPUTER GAMES book was meant for. Actually the sequels too, because even though they were renamed "microcomputer edition", the programs still behaved the same basic way.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC_Computer_Games

Flat files in conjunction with directory hashing works ok for a lot of things. I setup some pretty big Maildir (qmail) based virtual hosting stuff this way.
But when I needed raw speed for searching in a single big file, I went with Berkeley DB files or simliar (DBM, etc.)
This was before sqlite existed, and I still haven't used that one for anything.
In fact, even to this day the /etc/pwd.db file on *BSD is in that kind of format. Very useful if you have many thousands of users. It's rebuilt automatically every time you run "vipw" and alter the master password file.

$ file /etc/pwd.db
/etc/pwd.db: Berkeley DB 1.85 (Hash, version 2, native byte-order)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_DB

You can also use ANSI escape codes for cursor positioning and color. Any decent terminal that has VT100 emulation will support these.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code#CSI_codes
I used this for some simple text mode games in various languages. Works well because you don't need any library support beyond stdio printf() or equivalent. If your interface is complex, ncurses is a better choice though.

Also for your game, you can probably implement a simple AI by assigning "reasonable" point values to each possible move, based on what gives the most benefit. It can get kinda hairy to check for "combos" though (since one move can affect horizontal, vertical, and maybe even diagonal lines at the same time, if this plays like gomoku).

BTW, does anyone have a copy of the "BOB: Space Guy" game? The page they link here is gone, and web.archive.org doesn't have the tarball.
tuxradar.com/content/archives-best-games-2001
Filename was apparently bobsg.1.3.0.tar.gz but I haven't found it yet in any old Linux distro archives or whatever.