Why haven't you moved to Linux yet?

I just installed openSUSE alongside my Win7 partition. I didn't realise what I was missing out on. Why haven't you taken the plunge yet, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

zorinos.com/
debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/
gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html
forums.linuxmint.com/
insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/30/ubuntu-on-windows-the-ubuntu-userspace-for-windows-developers/
techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/os-showdown-windows-10-vs-linux-1299406
petermolnar.eu/photoshop-cs5-under-linux/
foo.com/client/linux/foo-1.60_1.tar.gz
cdn.media.ccc.de/congress/32C3/h264-sd/32c3-7547-en-de-libusb_Maintainer_fail_sd.mp4
microsoft.com/en-us/sharedsource/mvp-source-licensing-program.aspx
omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/photoshop-cs2-available-for-free-works-fine-in-wine
beta.devuan.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I’d just like to interject for moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

I can't into tech and Linux with its thousands of distros looks confusing as fuck

If you want my honest suggestion, go with Linux mint. It's a good distro to use, coming off of windows because it looks and acts very similarly. You can travel farther down the rabbit hole, later.

I use Plasma 5 on openSUSE.

I'll never install it because it is over cumbersome and a waste of good cpu. It can hardly even play swf files without fucking up.

install gentoo

"I just load emacs directly into the memory and never turn my machine off" Richard Stallmen

I tried a few distros over the time and didn't like any of them. Lucid Puppy was amazing for a live OS, but I only used it on an old notebook had no hard drive (because broken). Ubuntu is overrated as fuck and not near to the convenience of Windows 7, which I still use.

The fact Photoshop won't properly run is also reason enough to not switch. And no, GIMP is not an acceptable alternative.

Well, I'm sorry you were born without a brain, user. 2/10, made me respond

It's really not confusing at all, actually. Just look for a distro that interests you. Once you've found a distro that interests you, look at the available Desktop Environments (DEs). Try to find a distro that you both like and has a DE that you like.

You can try Manjaro if you want. It's basically a user-friendly version of Arch. Of course, you shouldn't expect to be able to master command line right off-the-bat. However, I honestly enjoy how Manjaro is done. I prefer it over Arch simply because I'm lazy, but it's honestly not that bad.

If you really want to go for a "user-friendly" distro, you can try Linux Mint, but just know that you won't get everything new. It relies on a lot of older packages. You need to keep this in mind if you plan on compiling things yourself, or want to be edgy enough to go for bleeding edge on everything.

Though, if you're just wanting a distro you can use to get your bearings in GNU/Linux, go for Lubuntu. 14.04 will be easy enough. It's not the "prettiest", but it'll get your feet wet enough to let you move onto other distros eventually. Learn how to use command line, and start trying to compile your own things. If you're scared of fucking up your PC beforehand, install VMWare and install Lubuntu 14.04 into a VM. That'll make it safe, even if you were to fuck up on installing Lubuntu in the VM.

PhotoShop isn't worth staying on Windows. In fact, you can get it to run in WINE if you work with it enough to get it to run. There have been some anons that have managed to do so. Not even attempting to try to do it is just pure laziness.

Glad to see you're moving along into the wonderful world of GNU/Linux. Just be sure to avoid all of the idiocy regarding SJWs, since they're really trying to invade (FL)OSS hard these days. Try grabbing Manjaro (like mentioned above to that other user), you'll probably like it. If you're into enterprise-type distros, you can try CentOS too. Hell, I like SliTaz (not an enterprise distro, just works pretty good on older hardware), but it's a little tedious when first setting it up.

direct you to >>5696811

Yeah, and? Putting up a Strawman isn't going to help your case. If you have nothing to actually say, you can fuck right off.

CS3 didn't run and it was the only version I had when I tried. And I actually put some effort in it. As far as forums told me, CS2 would run and CS4 and CS5 somewhat, but not without issues. OS was Ubuntu.
For me it's the application I don't want to miss. Everything else is less important, even gaming.

I know a Strawman when I see one, user.

Pick one you dumb fucking autist.

One of the computers we have at home runs on linus and honestly, it's seriously a hassle work on it. I tried it, I disliked it.

If you really have that much of an issue with not being able to go without PhotoShop, just use a VM. Or even just dual-boot. I didn't explicitly say to get rid of Windows entirely. I just said it isn't worth staying on Windows for.

Evidence of what? I don't hail Stallman. I think he's fighting for a great cause and I do support that cause, but I don't explicitly hail him, nor did I even remotely state anything in regards to him.

If you're talking about the "over-cumbersome" comment, you literally are illiterate. Stallman simply said in an interview that he'd rather leave installing the OS to people who know how to install it. It's not even that hard to learn how to install it, so I think the person who programmed the GNU OS can learn how to do it if he really wanted to. He runs GNU/Linux just fine. The only thing he even touches on in that video is the installation of it. The person I replied to (I'll assume it's you) said GNU/Linux was cumbersome. Not specifically just the part about installation.

He pretty much learns only what he needs to or wants, and leaves the rest to people who know what they're doing if possible. Which I see no wrong in doing.

This would be an option. Maybe I'll do that. But I would still need a better distro than Ubuntu.

That depends on what you're doing. I'm not really sure what you prefer and how much your experience is in regards to cli.

I'm quite content with the Windows 7 structure. I want to use the terminal as little as possible. I also don't want to compile anything manually. So I would basically need a lazy ass normie OS (but not as shitty as OSX, which is just awful). Ideas?

Try ZorinOS. It's based upon Ubuntu, but it should fit your criteria. zorinos.com/

I'll give it a shot. Thanks, user!

Alrighty. If the thread is still up by the time you get done with choosing on whether or not you'll decide to go through with Zorin after previewing it, let me know how it went.

Oh, and you're welcome.

I'm currently downloading the image file, but probably won't it install today, because I'll have some friends come over. If the thread is still there in the next days, I'll give a report.

Ah, fuck me. I'm tired.

I moved to GNU/Linux 8 months ago with no Windows anymore, before that 8 months I had dulaboot with Mint and Windows 8.1.

But GNU/Linux is simply superior it can all the things for free and you don't even need to pay anything.

It just werks if you take something like Mint, Ubuntu or Suse.

I would recommend Suse cause it's awesome.

You don't need to install it, you can run it as a LiveUSB to preview how it feels. If you like how it feels after that, then you can start the installation process. Keep in mind the live instance will be somewhat slower than an actual install on your PC.

Hardware Acceleration is often broken.

been using Debian for ages

only if you insist on using firefox.

when using chromium it will be fine

firefox is doing fine, you just need to configure it a bit

Switched from Win8.1 to Antergos about 7 months ago. Then Antergos broke and I switched to Manjaro a few weeks ago. Win8.1 ran like shit on my computer and would crash at random times.

You have no right to create a "why haven't you" thread, pleb.

You have no right to create a "why haven't you" thread, pleb.

Mint with KDE or Cinnamon is an excellent choice for a first distro. I strongly recommend it over other 'friendly' distros like Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.

Oh yes, the classic 'I cannot be bothered to learn another piece of software, therefor it is inferior' argument. Wouldn't be a linux thread without it.

A VM could actually be a really good choice for this. I just tried passthrough a few months ago (had an extra video card and PSU, figured why not) and was really impressed by the gaming performance; figured it was about 95%+ the performance on native Windows. One of these days I'll actually benchmark it, but until then I think I can say it's a viable alternative to native Windows.

My man. For all the distros I've tried, I keep coming back.

personally i wouldn't recommend Cinnamon. it's a big buggy

Really? I don't think I had any issues when I tried it a year ago, but I guess that could have changed.

Anything in particular?

Because I like playing games, decent drivers, 24/7 tech support and running popular editing programs like Mixcraft, Sony Vegas Pro and Photoshop. Windows can do pretty much everything, Linux is a specialty tool useful in only a few situations. If I ever come across an old fart computer I don't feel like buying a Windows license for I'll pump Ubuntu or Mint onto it though, but I think I'll stay away from Mint because I don't trust their competency as much as Canonical since they got hacked a couple months ago.

well, 4ex, it often freezes when using WINE

Spotted the normie

no problem
no problem
we have 24/7 basement dwellers ready to hack pentagon servers no seriously, those fuckers can make a patch in less than an hour after the release
here's your problem
it can do shit without a proper, 3rd party software

tell me why i should switch to linux then instead of making your thread and asking your retarded question

if you can tell me why i should switch in not too many words then maybe i'll consider.

are you that guy who's gonna add >muh in front of every single argument?

Free you're mind user, you are ass will follow.

ayy satan

Because I can't play games like GTA 5 on it, and dual booting for vidya isn't worth it when I can just use one OS for everything.

I dual boot Win 8.1 and Ubuntu.

Suck my dick if you don't like Ubuntu for whatever reason.

That aside, learning to use Linux is something every programmer should do.

Actually it's very much worth it. You could always follow the advice of using a VM and having a passthrough like had.

You need 2 video cards and only get the performance of one of them
You still have to use windows

No thanks

SIGSEGV_Reading null VMA

Then either deal with continuing to be cucked or stop being a whiny little bitch and dual-boot.

what is WINE

Yes free your mind neo! That is your rebuttal. Nice work.

Again, why bother dual booting when I can use one OS for everything I need?

It doesn't work on wine. I've tried it already.

You can also use integrated graphics for the host and pass the card to the VM, saving a video card. My card was the cheapest device I could find that had 3 outputs. If I wanted to get into serious games using passthrough, my $60 card would be used by the host and my [not purchased] expensive card would be passed to the VM. It's not like you need two fucking 970s.

But based on your apparent understanding of the issue I don't think you'd even be capable of configuring passthrough. Probably best for you to just stick with Windows.

WINE is profoundly fucky. Can't recommend.

Why the fuck should I learn software which already should be intuitive from second one, especially it I already have a working OS, retard? Because muh proprietary software? If I want do something that requires learning effort, it will definately not be another OS. Go fuck yourself, wannabe elite people like you are the reason for Linux not having a larger userbase. I also never said it's inferior, so stop putting words in my mouth. Faggot.

there's a thing called license and WINE is limited by it. use native windows libraries and it will run like charm

Not all of the time, a few of the games/programs I've ran via WINE that I normally use ran excellently. It's a hit or miss on default configuration, but I get what you're saying. (not the user you're responding too, btw)

It's not that I'm not capable. It's just not worth the effort.

Okay then you try running it on wine. When you get it to actually start and hopefully not look potato then I'll switch to linux.

Damn, how fucking mad are you.

If you don't consider GIMP to be an acceptable alternative to Photoshop then I can only assume you don't know how to use it and are unwilling to try. Hence my tongue-in-cheek comment.

And it's not exactly a new argument, by the way. Any time this topic comes up, someone chimes in about Photoshop. If you give a boring, canned excuse then you should expect a boring, canned retort.

You also seem like you're not worth the effort.

I just thinking about instaling something, I worked for some time on ubuntu live.
Still got free laptop where i could but some linux.
What distro would you guys advice that's challenging but worth the effort? Also any way to dual bot it when the w7 is already instaled?

i was waiting for someone to finally use it. it's like a Godwin's law made for linux threads

If you're not a programmer or web developer or in IT or something related, then there is no need to ever learn to use Linux. Ignore faggots who think it's a special club.

Debian
because Debian

Ok… And what so special about that distro?

Yeah, I kind of gave up on WINE last year. I've found that PlayOnLinux is probably the best wrapper for WINE but it still is very hit or miss. I was able to run some pretty interesting games pretty well but when I ran up against certain problems there simply wasn't a way around them. That's an unusual and unpleasant problem for a linux user.

Try debian, but go beneath the surface. If you want a challenge, use the debian security guide to harden your system. It's a lot of work and you'll learn a lot and get very comfortable with many of the system's tools.

debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/

Why not.
I will try.

P.S Will it work if I would instal it second to w7, or do i need to instal that one first cause, no fucking way around?

Gentoo or Void. Arch if you're okay with that too. Though, it's probably not really wise for you to jump into them off the bat. You should learn how to use command line and compile shit manually before going into those three. Debian, like the other anons have suggested, would be a good way to start learning all of this stuff. It's widely supported and you're guaranteed to have tech support when you need it.

Yeah, it is. Sadly, it'll continue to happen for a long time. Though, most of what I ever would need WINE for runs pretty decently, if not like it was natively on Windows. (WarCraft III, HeidiSQL, and a few other things that I can't remember off of the top of my head)

Yeah, it'll do it just fine. It'll provide a bootloader for you. Pretty sure they'll give you GRUB.

i must say that my old W7, even tho it's heavily modified and a bit sluggish, showed me BSOD when one of my RAM sticks got damaged
looks like i can manage my OS well

linuxes suck when it's about the newest games which could work fine but are heavily wrapped in various crap that makes sure that nothing unauthorized can ever touch it

Name me an OS that has no botnets or spyware or NSA shit and has a high usability and compatibility.

Trashman.jpg

or read up and make an informed decision.

gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html

Derailing this thread for a second, I know this is kinda half-chan shit but R8 my setup. (Also on Botnet 10 for Adobe and games)

the beautiful thing about open source is that you can personally look in the code and see if it has some crap in there

is that even a desk? looks like a vanity or some shit.

Thats if you can read the code or the language in the first place.

Do you happen to post on Craigslist? I happen to see a guy post on there often that looks like he has that set-up.

Nah coincidence, I'm a Britbong

While I have little doubt the 'user' you posted to is an NSA shill, it is important to keep non-free blobs off you're system. That's where they hide the malware. For example proprietary drivers from NVidia.

Other than that yea, you're right. There are a number of distros that are focusing intently on being free of unwelcome code, and mechanisms for distributed trust.

Debian is cucked for certain. So if integrity is important to you, stay away from it or any subsidiary distros (Ubuntu, Mint, etc).

Redhat? Pfft. No. Plainly in bed.

It came with a keyboard tray, so I assume so.

Ah, excuse my faggotry then. Nice set-up though. Have you thought about going for a dual-display?

It's honestly a good chair, I wouldn't pay full price but i got it for free using amazon refund. Only downside is that it's kinda uncomfortable when I wank because I spread ma legs wide and its not shaped for you to do that

Debian got rid of all the non-free blobs

Yeah I'm gonna get another ultra-wide and use the one I have vertically.

It's possible I suppose. But, even if so, downstream distros that lag well behind I would still be quite skeptical of trusting. For example Mint. It's a great beginner distro (the best beginner distro?), but hardly trustworthy imo.

Excuse me, but care to explain how asking an innocent question about a topic I don't know much about makes me an NSA shill? You might as well call me a Kike and you would sound just as delusional.

The only Linux iterations I have some amount of experience with are Ubuntu and Raspbian and years ago FreeBSD which didn't go so well but thats no really Linux but oh well.

Im still running Win 7 due to comparability with software I use but that much of it, outside of some games, has Linux compatibility anyway so instead of going to Win10 I would rather go something less botnet.

Awesome, I've been seeing a lot of anons going vertical for reading threads on chans and other things like that.

Maybe you should direct you are response over to the user that was talking about the beauty of peer-review of open-source software?

Is there any sort of reading material useful for understanding and getting into Linux?

Linux is very easy to get into these days user, so just install a friendly with dual-boot and just go with it.

Learn by using will be the way to get the most out of it. Apart from that, the Internet and the many, many Linux community forums are by far the best source of current info.

Debian is not liked by GNU because it allows to install non free software while GNU is fanatic about distros that don't have any non free stuff, to the point that those systems should refuse to install anything non free
and yeah, i'd stay away from Mint if i was crazy about free software

The position I'm taking is on the trustworthiness of the code free from exploits. While that's a tangential concern of Stallman, his is more of a philosophical position. Mine is strictly from the security and trustworthiness view. I'm not particularly concerned with licensing, and as a commercial dev, I frankly consider the GPL a bit of cancer. I much prefer the BSD or MIT licenses tbh fam.

citations needed

I have been on Linux so long I have no idea how to use Windows.

I never even used Windows 7 or 8 or 10 before.

forums.linuxmint.com/

I still have to maintain Windows for others, but yea. Windows has become a terrible botnet for Microsoft and the US Government now. You're missing all the fun user!

well, if it's about stability and security, Debian gets top rate. they can take 3 years to test everything before releasing a new stable version, that says something
also i use Debian for years and without problems
i know this sounds like a shill but i'm really used to it and can say from experience that it's reliable

read what GNU thinks about Mint

You can't suspend the host without the VM fucking up.

No shit. What's your point? How does that possibly affect what I said?

I like to save electricity, faggot.

OK, don't play cowadoody on max settings. You'll save way more by using an efficient video card and reducing its workload. Now, through careful rationing of power, you can use passthrough!

I use passthrough myself, and I'm telling you it's shit.

aqjsahjkfhak;hruiw4qhtui43qhpi

I understand your frustration

OK, I thought you were talking about Linux in general, not GIMP. Sorry for that one.

Yes, I got extremely mad because everytime Linux comes up, people complain about Windows being the dominant OS while still asking for re-learning to use a computer, which is exactly a valid point regular people will avoid. An OS has to be self explaining for a major audience, not only for Holla Forums. If that isn't given, no Linux distro will ever take the lead, no matter if it's technically better or not. Anyone who thinks it's still the old era when computers were mostly a nerd gadget and thus demand you have to adapt and basically learn a language damages their own cause more than MS ever could. That elitist stupid arrogant behaviour puts me faster into rage than post errors and trap threads combined.

As for GIMP, I already used it. It's okay, but Photoshop is really superior. It's more comfortable, you'll find more inplugs, more tutoriials and most important: No business office will use it. If I prepare something for work (maybe I'm an exception here, but I'm not a NEET), it has to be a psd file, just because they will have Photoshop, not GIMP. So yes, it is a good reason to use Windows, even if it's only for one special piece of software. It might it be in dual or solo, but there's no way without it.

KEK

>I do it in the shell user

Name one thing.

terminal

test goat please ignore

how do you generate a random string?

put a Windows user in front of vi, and tell him to exit!

In that case debian probably won't even work with my hardware.

I never implyed that you need 2 of the same kind of video cards. I did however forget that integrated graphics was still a thing.

Amen! I agree with Saint IGNUcius! I have been using the GNU operating system since 2003

The OS shouldn't require itself to literally dumb itself down. The fact that our society has devolved to the point where people legitimately expect that really says something.

When you dumb shit down like that to make it idiot-proof and 'convenient', you lose security and functionality. Having them actually learn how to do things is much better. I speak from the experience of teaching many people about GNU/Linux.

And for the record, most people I've encountered that don't want to switch entirely aren't doing it because it's "hard" or that they have to "learn" how to use their computer again. It's because most people nowadays play some type of Windows-only game and are too dedicated to those specific games to want to purge Windows from their computers. I will say that they all prefer GNU/Linux over Windows though.

There is also Debian Testing

been there since 1999 cap'n

Mine works fine.

Linux, we like the simplest of tasks ridiculously complex. This makes us proud of ourselves.

It's just a pain in the ass. If you use your computer every day or use it for work or something I'm sure you could remember how to fix it everytime something fucks up, but when I just want to play a game or watch a movie or something I don't want to spend 30-60 mins figuring out how to unfuck it.

I just want it to work. No one would put up with this bullshit if your car broke down a few times a month but since it's linux everyone makes an exception and talks about how good it is.

No, it's good if it fucking works when I need it to. If I had a gun that misfired a few times a month I wouldn't fucking keep the gun, I'd sell that shit right now.

i'm 100% sure that you used an unstable distro

number one reason why linux will NEVER EVER be mainstream.

They need to create packages for the fucking OS.

ya, like EXE's. Except linux packages. That have all the shit needed to run and install the fucking application.

NOt install the app, oh oops. Your missing this that and that. oh and that too, but wait a min, it's gotta be this version of that.

Fuck off.

Linux…..pffft

it's why MAC which is basically "linux" or Gnu. OR unix. whatever the fuck you wanna go for the original idea from.

And yet mac succeeds. And it's because they package all their shit.

Oh…so you wanna compile the bullshit yourself, without packages. Well you should have the option to do that too.

That is why linux will never be mainstream.

Want it to catch on, do what mac does.

o>>5700273
EXACTLY!!!!

so to add to my packages idea. If something breaks in windows, you simply uninstall and reinstall it.

Takes like 10 min max

With linux, your like awww fuckkkkk. This particular app was a fucking bitch to install and now it's broke

IF you have to go through that grief, it's not worth it.

If linux simply made packages for EVERYTHING. you could just do what you do in a windows environment. Uninstall, reinstall and be up and running in 10 min.

i have no need for linux. i can run ubuntu inside windows 10 natively
GNU/windows? ;)

insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/30/ubuntu-on-windows-the-ubuntu-userspace-for-windows-developers/

These are not complete packages and you fucking know it

Those are just package types.

If you cant' understand adult speak. Let me put it in a way you can understand

If you for example install program X in windows. And it needs say SQL or some other program.
It will install it for you. the exe comes COMPLETE. With everything you fucking need. Right out of the box.

Where as, your .deb or .rpm ect. Repositories, May or MAY NOT and usually it's NOT, come with the entire pacakges.
Or try downloading packages off of shit sites.
They will give you the base package, but it will need this and that and that.

There is a reason why windows is more widely used than linux

I will grant you, linux is more stable
But if its' so fucking bad ass, then ALL of us would be using it.

But I stand by what i said. Due to the fact, the packages are not complete like windows exe's.

Linux will never be mainstream.

Microsoft literally entraps people into Windows. That's why GNU/Linux hasn't caught on

And no, they are complete packages. What you are referring to are dependencies, which are not a part of the package. Just what the package depends on. Entirely different.

potato potahtoe

Point being, a MS exe, has all the fucking shit i need to isntall whatever it is i fuckign want

Don't liek the microshit reference

FINE….MAC
same dealio

When you actually USE A FUCKING PACKAGE MANAGER LIKE A SMART PERSON, you don't need to hunt down dependencies one-by-one. Not only that, but they're also statically linked, so you're not installing the SAME fucking dependencies over and over, bloating up your disk space usage for no fucking reason whatsoever. Once you've installed that one dependency, you're done with anything in regards to that except for updating it when need be. No need to ever have it installed again.

I'll pay you $100.00USD to fuck off.

What a faggot.

1) no wifi
2) no sound
3) graphic card unsupported, generic drivers
4) ""libre """"games"""""
5) how do i install skype

Probably a combination of those for most people.

The truth is that it's not all that bad these days. 1) and 2), however bothering and 1991-tier, can usually be resolved (through command lines that most won't understand at first, which is a bit disconcerting)

3) can be very bothering. Doesn't help 4). Linux gaming leaves to be desired. SteamOS…

5) people being attached to shitty, ad-ridden, cpu hogs application because everyone uses them. There's plenty of amazing FOSS alternatives

Linux users don't have any money.

On the contrary my little retarded winfag, I actually save my money instead of spending it on shitty Windows licenses.

I understand that you can't afford bait of higher quality because you keep spending all your money on Windows licenses, but that doesn't give you the right to throw such shit bait at me.

i earn more money than you ever will. enjoy your NEET

i made tens of maps for SC/SC2 and never played any of them except for testing

You know not every windows user actually pays for licenses.

just like most linux users could afford windows but choose not to use it.

see how this argument just makes you look like a giant faggot? :^)

But I see nothing wrong with choosing to use linux over windows. In fact I would really love to see it become the primary OS for all computers in the future. However I still use windows because of the high hardware/software compatibility.

you people do realize that it's only a matter of time? compare linuxes nowdays to these from 10y ago. now compare to these from 20y ago

If you're referring to OEM installs, you're still paying for that. It's just included in the price.

Today… in stuff that never happened

I am not. I thought my skull and swords img made what I was referring to clear.

ya sureeeeeee

one statement can derail this whole fucking thread

If Linux was so great. why isn't everyone using it then?

Lets hear the whine

I think the main reason the average person doesn't use it is because most people can't be arsed to install an operating system so they just use whatever came preinstalled with their computers which is usually windows or OSX.

If being hwite is so good why isn'd everone white? Chegmade, adeisds :DDDD!

i started with mint. used it for like a year. tried arch, fedora,freebsd, ended up switching to debian 8. debian is just better documented, and supported. and you can configure literally anything to run on it if you take the time.

because everyone doesnt care about having an optimized system. most normalfags just wanna browse the nets and watch prons and vidya gaymin.

Those are not legitimate Windows users. Even if they use Windows, it is an illegitimate install. Therefore they do not count. I was completely aware you were referring to pirating.

I already told that idiot before that Microsoft literally entraps people into using Windows, but he won't listen. Either that, or he's legitimately retarded. Probably both.

LOL
KYS

I don't even care if this is just bait either.

you lost the game

Just keep feeding me some bait, user. I'm still hungry.

windows is a faster operating system, runs at a lower temperature and the firewall is much easier to configure

What is this shit, did you go to fucking Walmart for this bait? Jesus fuck, it's all moldy

its all true
techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/os-showdown-windows-10-vs-linux-1299406

Thanks for the read, but it bored me.

On a serious side-note though, you would think they would stop putting everything in the fucking Kernel if it doesn't have to be there. How many vulnerabilities do they need to keep causing by doing shit like this before they ever learn?

No, the reason why is because grandma apple seed can't fucking use linux

you are spouting i am a computer wizard. But don't understand the core fundamental in what an OS needs to be to become mainstream.

Win95 started it all. It's where little grandma appleseed could double click and EXE and the darn thing just worked. (90%) of the time.
That's it. Its' that simple

When an old person can use it out of the fucking box, and install personal shit without going into command line, ect.

You have a winner. Mac….no need for command line. Anyone can install shit. Case in point.

If mac was like linux, i can guarenfuckingtee you none of those hipsters would use that OS.

Most people who use GNU/Linux don't care if it becomes mainstream or not. A lot of us just want people to stop making shit so hard for us and actually take back their rights. Also, I've had several successful cases of installing Linux Mint on computers that belong to normies (some older than seventy), and they use it just fine.

because the majority of people are morons. it's that simple

the fun this is that for most of normies, distros like mint or ubuntu would be perfectly fine because you don't need advanced system to browse internet, send mails n stuff

Actually I think Ubuntu is cancer as well, but it's not like I'm going to load Gentoo on a normie's system.

Obviously I use better distros, you'd have to be a complete idiot to think otherwise.

same

he asked for bait user….

i meant the article

o. didnt read it

Android is based on linux and that doesn't seem to stop people from using it. All little grandma applecunt needs is an easy to use distro.

ajfowqhigfqhwiahl

Well you sure as hell can't use anything else.

shhh, user, don't crush their dreams

who is this semen demon and where is the "more" that obviously followed?

this

Honestly? More than 80% of my steam library won't work natively on any distro. Instead of trying to get people to convert, make it worth converting to by making a way for DirectX to work in a linux environment you nigger.

VOX, good man, what kind of guitfiddle you got there boyo?

b-but wine user

Wine is an emulator. Shit needs to run natively.

You are missing the point. Emu's and VMs are all well and good for the initiated, but for normies things need to work right out of the box

b-but Wine Is Not an Emulator user

take it up with MS since they own the rights to directX

So, Wine Is Not (an) Emulator (WINE) is an emulator? Okay, pal.

It's a compatibility layer, you stupid fuck.

agreed

so, why isnt' there one yet?

implying 90% of the computer base are morons.

Wow, you must be lex luthor

I am using mint as we speak. But I am also a network engineer. You know. I get paid to do this shit.
But my main computer at home for leisure is win7.
end of story.

i really hope, for your sake, that you're not serious right now

Photoshop.
Some games that doesn't work on linux.

Even the wiki notes that its not an emulator.

Okay, if you want to take Microsoft's dick at home, that's fine. Completely up to you. I'm still going to try to get people to switch and continue to educate them.

because its shit

I lol'd more than I should at that pic. The Holla Forums experience in a nutshell.

agreed

for once OP was not a faggot

Condolences as a fellow longtime Photoshop user. I use Krita for digital painting and have managed to get Photoshop running quite flawlessly in Wine.

This was the guide I used:
petermolnar.eu/photoshop-cs5-under-linux/

because linux have shitty, not fully working not optimized drivers, especially gpu drivers, shitty written "alternative" programs that cant compete with windows programs. And no wine isnt an answer. Most of the programs with wine have issues. You cant play decent games with linux. If I woulnt be working in the IT field and be just a regular user. I dont fucking need no command lines, fucking compiling? can you just program a user friendly program that you can install FAST with few clicks. IT is all bout making things faster and easier for people and linux isnt doing it. Regular user dont give a shit about compiling and tweaking, commands etc. btw im using linux right now, but only because windows have backdoors and i dont feel like gaming

I'm sorry you're too fucking stupid to use your own OS. Kill yourself, it'll make the world a better place

Linux>>OS X>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Windows

MANJARO KDE REPORTING IN

GNU/LINUX>BOTNET>OSmeme

hello my friend.many blessings of vishnu to you and thank you for your post

mint is always a safe choice, like ubuntu with spyware and slow gui stripped out.
Debian is also safe, though requires a bit more patience

i wouldn't recommend Debian as the simple to use OS

If all you need to do is browse the Internet, listen to some music and watch some videos, Install centos.
You can even do some image editing with GIMP.

No games though. Use an alt windows computer for games

Forgot logo

any mainstream distro will do any of these just fine

I'd have thought you would have upped you are game after all these years?

I dual-boot Win 8.1 Pro and Ubuntu.

I only ever use Ubuntu for some coding, mainly C. I use windows for pretty much everything else.

Yup. Trips don't lie.

Fuck. Marry(anne). Kill

it seems like anytime someone has a valid reason why linux sucks, the response is "well just do this instead then"
how about no? it already works on windows why would I want to fuck it up and complicate things when it ALREADY works.
oh and hur dur about using WINE. really? badmouth windows and it being slow and inefficient and suggest using an emulator of said slow and ineffecient system with additional overhead and unnecessary complications.
How about ever stating an actual reason to switch to linux?
"Hey you know that car you drive that works for everything you need it to? You should drive this one instead. Well no it doesnt turn left, but you can just turn right 3 times instead."

I have – for my Chromebook. GalliumOS is pretty awesome that way, though I have replaced several of the default packages because they suck.

Ristretto (image viewer) has been replaced by eog.
Thunar (file manager) has been replaced by Xfe.
Chromium (browser) has been replaced by Firefox. I switched OS to divorce Google, not hand myself right back to them.
DeaDBeeF (music player) has been replaced by Audacious.
Added Wine.
Added gcc. Why is this not included?
Added the No-IP DUC. This is why I needed gcc.
Added Java. Now I run my Minecraft server on an Acer CB3-111 because it is dead silent.

Why buy a Chromebook if I didn't want ChromeOS? I didn't buy it, it was given to me.

I'm lazy to do a manual Arch install, boo-fucking-hoo, cry me a river

I haven't seen valid reasons to keep Windows as a main OS, nor have I said you couldn't dual-boot. I've explained many solutions, if you're asshurt about the fact that you're too fucking retarded to properly utilize your system, that isn't my problem.

You've already proven you're retarded beyond comprehension, user. No need to try to prove it any more.

You've been given plenty of reasons. If you want to continue using a retarded OS as your main OS, you're free to do that. I can't read for you, user.

Wow, you've just proven yourself to be incompetent. If I had a car that couldn't turn left, I'm not going to waste time turning right three different times. I'll do one big turn. That's called actually being efficient with what you have – something you seem to be unable to comprehend.

I'm not the person who wrote the post you responded to, but

I'll provide one.

I'm a musician and sometimes a writer. Writing isn't a problem, there are plenty of suitable tools on every platform for doing that. But music – I have purchased virtual instruments because they work better. They sound better, have more expression, and can better simulate the extended techniques of the instrument being modeled. They are the blades in my Swiss Army Knife, and at the end of the day, they are what will be heard.

They are also DRMed out the wazoo, because it costs millions of dollars to sample instruments this effectively. This DRM works only on OSX and Windows. Telling me I should abandon them because of the OS required to use them is like telling a race driver they have to drive a Chevy Volt because it's good enough for most people.

I also would have to abandon all my existing Cubase projects if I switched to anything but Windows. I can get my notation software to work in Wine, and have access to a couple decades of archives, but Cubase is highly dependent on going straight to hardware through the ASIO driver to keep latency to an absolute minimum. If latency cannot be kept in the range of 20ms or less from the time a note is triggered to the time it sounds, then it is unusable as a realtime instrument. ASIO has many flaws, such as only supporting a single application at a time, such that I can crash things just by switching applications at the wrong time, but that is the cost to be paid for direct hardware writes. Pulse Audio is just not going to cut it here – the least latency I've ever seen with Pulse (or with standard Windows audio drivers) is 60 to 75ms, which is far too long to be useful. 20ms more or less corresponds with the actual response time of a physical instrument.

i hope you realize now how enslaved you are

This tbh.

I am enslaved because Mr. Sax T only works on Windows and OS X? Come on, a computer is a goddamned tool, not a philosophical statement. I have a Linux machine, and it's great for what it does, but there are things I do that it simply can't. For those times, I have Windows machines (plural, one high-powered desktop and one so-so laptop with the exact same software installed). It's a bit like having both SAE and metric wrenches so you can work on any car, not just the ones that fit your philosophy.

and yet you have to buy that Windows or OS X to use these because you have no other option. they literally force you to do it because Microsoft and Apple paid your instrument creators to support only their systems
open your eyes already

I think it's a tool that has taken such proportions that it's necessary to hold a ethical standard to it. Anyways, I don't think it's really your fault but try encouraging the development of free software by using free alternatives to proprietary software whenever it's possible.

There's no point, nobody has ever jumped to Linux because of these threads unless they were already considering the switch before. Didn't bother to read the thread because I've already read it 100x before, they're all the same. If Linuxfags and Windowsfags can agree that OSX is for tremendous faggots, I'm generally pretty happy.

And if I want to play contraforte or soprillo, I have to buy them from Benedikt Eppelsheim because nobody else makes them. I suppose you would have boycotted the saxophone until its patent expired as well, because nobody but Adolphe Sax made them.

My business tools are my business tools, and I'll buy whatever is required and appropriate to do that business as well and as efficiently as I can. I don't care if that rustles your jimmies. I use and support OSS where it is appropriate, and sometimes even when it's not as good as the proprietary alternative. I'd rather use The GIMP than pirate Photoshop, for example. But The GIMP doesn't leave a stamp on everything it touches that says "Free Photoshop alternative in use! Look at this cheesy bastard!" If it did, I wouldn't touch it. (Similarly I won't touch freeware that stamps the generated files in such a manner.)

I'm also not fond of telling someone "Oh you want to install foo? You need to open a terminal and type ''cd /usr/local/src then "'wget foo.com/client/linux/foo-1.60_1.tar.gz then tar xzf foo-1.60_1.tar.gz then cd foo-1.60 then sudo make and type in your root password, then sudo make install – wait, you're getting an error when you run make? What's it say? (a quick Google later) Ah, you must not have gcc installed. Let's fix that first…"

And you wonder why it's not the year of the Linux desktop.

And no, nobody is getting paid to NOT make versions for Linux. It's just that the market isn't there, so they don't. It's a chicken-and-egg problem. Professional musicians aren't using Linux because the tools aren't there. The authors of the tools don't make Linux versions because nobody is using Linux. Both sides would have to spend or lose money to make the first change, so nobody does.

Not actually the guy you're referring to, but technically if there is DRM that will not function on Linux, then yes, somebody is making a conscious decision involving money to make sure no version will ever be released on Linux. It would actually be illegal at that point to release it without DRM, as far as I know, unless whoever enforces the DRM decides to loosen their grip. I understand your chicken and egg scenario, and you're probably right in this case, but with the addition of DRM that isn't really equivalent anymore.

Samplemodeling uses the DRM built into Kontakt, they don't roll their own. If Native Instruments wanted to release a version of Kontakt for Linux, then the DRM would work there as well, and there is no contractual reason they could not do so.

MS and Apple would tip (now) their shekels if they read this
neither does any linux
please tell me more how a terminal is worse in use than writing an instruction essay

and that closes the circle or proprietary software. but you know? someone has to be first if you ever want to leave it. and say what you want but "free" is a very powerful word

I see, that's not how you worded it the first time. I assumed they did roll their own, and I thought that was shady. Then again, I'm generally against DRM to begin with, so ehh.

The authors of tools have to make the move first, because the only alternative for the users of the tools is to not work. As I said, the computer itself is a tool. I will use the best tool for the job and get it done right, even if that means having a set of tools that is ill-suited for another job I do. Back to the SAE/Metric thing I mentioned before, metric is obviously the correct choice going forward, but is a garage wise to say "oh we have a philosophical problem with SAE wrenches because nobody can remember whether 11/64” is bigger or smaller than 3/8”. Therefore we won't buy any, and we'll refuse to work on classic cars." If they want to avoid classic cars because the money isn't there, that's their right, but it would be foolish to do so just because the measurement system of the tools is stupid. It is, but that's just part of the cost of doing business.

As I said, I have both. I will continue to have both. I don't try to run my servers on Windows, even though I could (non-optimally). I don't try to produce my music on Linux even though I could (non-optimally). For a lot of uses in between, they both do the job just fine, and I really do like the modified Chromebook for being light, cool, and silent. An eight hour battery life doesn't hurt either. It could run Windows, mostly, but trying to run Windows 10 on 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage is a recipe for annoyance. Clearly, Linux is the right choice here, and if there are then things I can't do with it (like music), that's because it wasn't the right machine for the job in the first place. It would suck at the job even if it was running Windows. Just one virtual instrument exceeds the entire internal storage capacity. (Alicia's Keys, 17.6GB.)

Keep trying to convert those people hanging out in the middle where both Linux and Windows are viable options, and stop worrying about the edge cases like mine. I've stopped worrying about it, and it affects me far more than it affects you.

As for terminals – too easy to screw up. Also if the maintainer of the repository moves files and doesn't leave a proper symlink, it can be impossible to figure out how to work around. (No-IP has committed this error. I have pointed it out to them, and they sent me working instructions – yet the website is still wrong a month later.)

Because its garbage for video games.

It will nevrer be mainstream because the linux community are elitist faggots who dont know the first thing about pr.

But it won't be forever. Steam has gotten tired of the Windows hegemony, and is starting to do something about it. When that gains full traction, others will follow suit. Unfortunately the music production market is much smaller by comparison (probably three orders of magnitude smaller) and if it takes that much effort to make Linux a suitable gaming OS, what hope is there of doing so for music production? Am I supposed to just suffer in the meantime? No, I'm going to use Windows right now and occasionally check up on the situation to see if it has improved any.

i'm not trying to convert you, i know when to use windows for some things (tho barely). i'm just pointing out the fact that proprietary software pulls you into more proprietary software

Funny that the only reasons left for Windows being better is strictly because of what other people do with Windows, not the OS itself. Once steam and vidya games start more commonly being supported on Linux, you guys will have literally nothing left besides muh photoshop.

boomph

And I am sure you have both the skill and time to do that for every piece of software you download. And you did it too, when libusb was "taken over" and no one else noticed it. cdn.media.ccc.de/congress/32C3/h264-sd/32c3-7547-en-de-libusb_Maintainer_fail_sd.mp4
Btw if you can show that you are not just faggot shitposter, you can view the Windows source code too: microsoft.com/en-us/sharedsource/mvp-source-licensing-program.aspx

A valid point.

I don't know what are you talking about. The Windows 10 secure kernel is only about 300 kB and it only has 2 modules: one that provides cryptography services and one for code integrity. NOTHING ELSE!

lol, I installed Debian for multiple retirement homes and the only complain was the unnecessary login screen at start which required both the user name and password (which can be turned off).

If you consider GIMP to be an acceptable alternative to Photoshop then I can only assume you never did any work on it which was worth printing.

i'm sorry that you're too much of a lazy shit to check your software. i rather have this option, not only to see if there's someting i wouldn't like in the code but also actually learn something
also read your own fucking link before you post it for once

This has to be bait.

i tried. it says i have to be nominated by my community as a microsoft MVP to have access to the source code.
bait/8

you wouldn't see much anyway. MS only shares parts of the code that have no more value for them

And how many of those old fucking people are 8nstalling software on Linux. Or are you too fucking stupid to understand what I wrote. Anyone can install a Linux is and use what's included. But try customizing the cockpit suckered without command line and pre packaged software that the repository has. And I can guarantee you. You smarmy pick. No on in that retirement home is able to install software downloaded from a site.

So eat it cocktail gobbler

OpenSUSE uses that btrfs, lame

>>>/g/

As an exclusive Linux user (mint, then arch) for the past 2 years, I miss photoshop. Sure Pinta gets the job done 90% of the time but it's just not the same. GIMP is a piece of shit. That said if you need it for you're job you could always WINE it.

Why are you a oldfag?
Upgrade for new stuff!

This is painful to watch…

So far the only arguments to use windows are:

-I'm too stupid to follow GUI prompts to install a newbie linux distro

-I value playing a couple games over my freedom to not be spied upon

What a noob

Please, educate us simple folks, user

name the 2 modules: cng.sys and skci.dll

no one cares who nominates you as long as your are a valuable professional :)

within reason* they share what you ask for
*don't ask for font rendering stuff as a network engineer

what do *you* do with it?

Alot of people who had CP in their linux based computer, they got caugth by the FBI and NSA.
And some annon said: when you are connected to the internet, you are fucked.

Completely unmodified Win7 on shit tier several year old hardware hasn't shown BSOD even once, to be honest I don't even know how it looks like on Win7. Win 8 has crashed a few times over the years, and win10 has crashed much more since I updated one of my computers (it wasn't the lurkstation of course)

That doesn't have anything to do with spyware, you fag. It mainly involves other factors like not encrypting the system partition or having bad passwords.

If you can manage to work OK with the old CS2 Photoshop, then you can use it successfully on Wine. On top of that, you can install the official (not cracked) maintenance EOL binaries straight from Adobe for FREE.

omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/photoshop-cs2-available-for-free-works-fine-in-wine

Video Games

Video Games?

And cost a hundred dollars if its not preinstalled

I use pirated windows 10 on my main PC which I built for games and linux on my old laptop. But linuxfags still mock me for getting 'cucked' by microsoft. Pfft.

beta.devuan.org/

What's a distro optimized for security, privacy, and at the same time is lightweight?

If you really need privacy, then TAILS is a live OS.

OpenBSD. Assuming you're new to unix stuff, if you insist on Linux distro, some newfag distro would probably be the best choice. The problem with most linux distros is that they either are relatively "clean" but require you to know your shit, or they "just werk" but there's a lot of "just werks" blackboxes (from newbie's perspective) and bloat.

If you want to go full tinfoil hat and spend many hours learning shit, OpenBSD has good and actually useful man pages/documentation and the system is relatively clean and it is lightweight and secure, so it's not a bad starting point for learning UNIX.

Or you can install some lighter Ubuntu flavor and just learn as you go. You could also combine both and get OpenBSD VM on Ubuntu.

I don't know what? That I'm being spied on by nsa/microshit shills? That linux is actually gnu/linux? What is it I don't know?

So what! I have nothing to hide (You)

Yes… he is a schill.. exposed by the great and Honorable Bill Cooper

Fedora Rawhide

By default yeah,.. I use another Tom distro though. I do like the way tumbleweed is Implemented.. I just stick to fedoraRawhide.

gnu doesnt support fun

lurk moar, user

I'm sure you're not even looking at the Kernel. Look for ntoskrnl.exe in system32.

I kept windows on another hardrive. I am keeping it for the new doom and such. One thing I do suggest is if you do it that way unplug your windows hardrive while installing Linux. If you don't the grub boot manger will get on it and wipe the windows boot manger. And if you get rid of the Linux drive you can't boot into windows. For Distros I suggest using Linux mint, I love it a lot. Tried Arch Linux and it hates me.

don't all android phones run on linux

Checked.

it just isn't GNU/Linux

ITYM "dynamically". HTH, HAND!

You're right, I didn't even realize I said 'statically'. Thanks.

JESUS H CHRIST I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND THAT BANANA DICK PIC FOR TWO YEARS AFTER I LOST IT, THANK YOU user, YOU ARE A SAINT.

I'm not really sure how I should feel about that reply.