Castles and Military Structures

Starting off with the Corvin Castle in Romania

I felt like a retard a while ago. I was having a conversation with my dad about castles. He majored in European history as an undergrad and I just read fantasy. I had no idea how rustic and tiny actual castles were and how rare it was for sieges to take place (before cannons). I also didn't realize how many famous castles were added to or just made to be decadent in the first place. My dad showed me some books about real castles and talked about scale: it's all fucking tiny, as were most armies.

I really had no idea how romanticized they were in general.

I thought the gothic architecture didn't come about until castles were rendered militarily obsolete.

This is the Bodiam Castle in East Sussex, England. Built in 1385 by Sir Edward Dalyngrigge, a former knight of Edward III, in order to defend the area against French invasion during the Hundred Years' War.

Forts usually had a strategic purpose, in order to defend a certain location from being conquered. They were usually not impressive in size.

This is Dubrovnic, a medieval city in Croatia. Its also the main filming location of King's landing in Game of Thrones

This is the Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany

This one has to be a nightmare to attack in a 17-18th century battle

forgot image

these are nice

It's interesting to me how forts changed when they started structuring things around canons. This is Fort Griswold, what's left of it after Benedict Arnold fucked it up.

Gravensteen, built in 1180, in Ghent/Belgium.

Very interesting shape on the first one, i like it.

this. most real life castles are boring af

how can i tell you an angsty teen and most probably an american with a preoccupation with size?

The first one is beautiful, I could almost see it in a Dark Souls game.

Bump

bump

This is fort di bard

Located in Aosta valley, Italy, it is located in a narrow part of the valley, a valley that communicates France with Italy.

In 1800, 400 men stopped a french army comprised of 40,000 men for two weeks, until the french decided to take an alternative route. Once the war was ended (french victory), Napoleon ordered to raze the castle to the ground.

In 1830 it was rebuilt.

Alba Iulia "Carolina" citadel, from my hometown, in the heart of Transylvania which has been recently restored (~6 years ago). It is the largest in central-eastern Europe.

Some OC.

I saw a documentary about that. Apparently there's over 700 000 bunkers in Albania which were built during communist rule, 1 bunker for every 4 inhabitant.

Very nice, seems like a safe place to hide from a zombie apocalypse

happy sad life

Wut

test

gay thread

Bump for good thread

m
y

up

Bodiham is very near where I live, the whole area has a great amount of fortified stuctures dating back to the Roman occupation and beyond.

Also Edward III was the greatest king England ever had in my opinion.

Some more Sussex good stuff

Pevensey
Battle
Lewes
Arundel
Herstmonceux - a rare brick built castle

As far I have read and been taught, it is actually the opposite way. Wars were mostly sieges with maybe a few battles. I mean think about it, even if you were confident that you could beat your opponent in a battle. You could still potentially lose most of your men and your army could fall apart. We always hear a lot about great battles of history but hardly ever about sieges which mostly won wars. Denying the enemy access to areas and taking strategic resources was far more important and smart then throwing half your army out to the crows. We always hear a lot about Alexander the Great's battles but never about his (potentially) hundreds of sieges.

Neuschwanstein

are these castles

pg7

Fat dump incoming, more likely to be medieval architecture because why not

Nice

The most Castlevania looking of all the Castles

I think this is the one That W. Disney based his Castle off of.

this thread is good and you should feel good

Amazing thread

Where is this castle? Its fucking beautiful

I work construction and am extra careful when I'm 2-3 stories off of the ground.
Imagine how many people died building just one of these castles.
It's not like they had safety regulations

Romania

you didn't even try

I've been to the Guédelon Castle and the guide (who also was a worker here) told us that the more safety you ad, the less people pay attention to the danger, so that's why the never got any accident here in 15 years (yet I'm not saying that a shitload of people would die in construction sites during the middle age, I just say that it might be less worse than we think).

Forgot the image because I'm a RAGING FAGGOT

i heard a story of a guy who was working on the tower of some church when he fell off, he survived the drop because he fell on top of another guy who died.
the family went to some authority to say that the guy who fell should get a punishment, so the authority said that one of the family members should jump off the tower on the guy who fell.
they pussied out.
it is a wierd story and i doubt it's true, but why not.

holy shit, ive been to the castle in the 1st picture.
its burg eltz

CUCK CUCK CUCK cuck I LOVE I MAKE PEE PEE :OOO xd CUMMIES :))) I POOPE IN PANTS SO FUNNY LAUGH XD CUMMIES :))) tee hee :) DANK ASS SHIT FAM I SUCKE A BENIS IUH OH CUCK CUCK XD meem xDD POOP CUCKY PEEEPEE BLACK COCKS IUH OH AAAAHHAHAHAHA epin MEME ME ME ME ME MEMEMEMEMEEEE NIGGER :^) I LOVE cuckl LOVE DANK ASS SHIT FAM XDDDD LE SUCCEPIC FOR TEH POOP XDDDDDDDDD CUCK CUCK CUCK EPIC FOR TEH POOP XDDDDDDDDD cuck peenus weenus (: POOPY CUCK fanny I POOPE IN PANTS SO FUNNY LAUGH XD NIGGER :^) EPIC FOR TEH POOP XDDDDDDDDD le how can you compete??I POOPE IN PANTS SO FUNNY LAUGH XD JEWS xd EPIC MEME XD peenus weenus (: NIGGER :^) meem peenus weenus (: I MAKE PEE PEE :OOO CUCKY PEEEPEE BLACK COCKS XDD XD XD XD I POOPE IN PANTS SO FUNNY LAUGH XD cuck xd meem I LOVE I CUCKE A BENIS IUH OH meem XDDDD hehe EPIC MEMEEPIC FOR TEH POOP XDDDDDDDDD POOPY peenus weenis (: CUMMIES :))) EPIC SHIT TBQH FAM SMH @ U fanny CUCK CUCK CUCK ANIMEME so HOt me wAUFU ON PEEPEE CUCK CUCK CUCK JEWSDANK ASS SHIT FAM xd CUCK CUCK CUCK WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :) :) :)POOPY JEWS CUCK CUCK CUCK HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH JEWISH MEME ME ME ME ME MEMEMEME EEEAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhehe EPIC SHIT TBQH FAM SMH @ U JEWISH POOP I ADDICTED TO POOOOPY :33 [PP[ CUCKle le le leCUCK CUCK CUCK peenus weenus (: MEMEDANK ASS SHIT FAM LE SUCC HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHXDHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAH CUCKY PEEEPEE BLACK COCKS XDD XD XD XD CUCK WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :) :) :) CUCK EPIC FOR TEH POOP XDDDDDDDD EPIC SHIT TBQH FAM SMH @ U le le le le I POOPE IN PANTS SO FUNNY LAUGH XDXDDDD I ADDICTED TO POOOOPY :33 ANIMEME so HOt me wAIFU ON PEEPEE fanny I POOPE IN PANTS SO FUNNY LAUGH XD ANIMEME so HOt me wAIFU ON PEEPEE so fahnny EPIC FOR TEH POOP XDDDDDDDDDDD meem le epic I MAKE PEE PEE :OOO POOPY I MAKE PEE PEE :OOO EPIC FOR TEH POOP XDDDDDDDDDDDD I POOPE IN PANTS SO FUNNY LAUGH XD DANK ASS SHIT FAM peenus weenus (: WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE CUCK CUCK CUCK cuck I LOVE I MAKE PEE PEE :OOO

Excellent thread

I live right next to this fucker. It's still used by the military

it's nice, but the hordes of joggers piss me off

I saw one slip and fall in the moat. Made my fucking day!

Hey Holla Forums
I live in Heidelberg near the castle. Any of you fags been here? It's pretty big and has huge gardens around, here are some photos I made.

more Heidelberg castle…

just want to say this thread is fucking based

Sweet

fortress of Salses, south of France, XVth century, built to whistand artillery fire

bumping