Death Stranding

Warning: videogames are about to surpass movies in Kino.

How does it feel that the japanese boy-wonder Hideo "I am not a genius like George Lucas" Kojima will soon be wiping the floor with Christopher Nolan?

For those that don't know, Hideo Kojima is a legendary movie director who has made only video games. However, his games always have more cutscenes than actual gameplay, so I figured out such chimeric topic is acceptable here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hI8goBqqRTo
youtu.be/lIIA6QDgl2M?t=656
youtube.com/watch?v=q2EG5J05048
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

but kojima's games were never games, they were movies. idk what you're saying.

also MGS was retarded conspiracy. the plot's stupid as fuck. the best MGS game wasn't even made by kojima tbh, and it was Rising Revengeance.

still stupid story though even if it was fun as shit.

CINEMATIC

Nigga, this is just the same shit that people like the Randomizer (pic related) spew out

6/10 bait tho, I'm not complaining

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance wasn't even an MGS game idiot. Wasn't solid.

it was more solid of a game than kojima's turds

Generic af. Looks even more generic than CoD cinematography and imagery. The score sounds like generic jewlywood garbage.

STRANDING

ON THE EDGE OF A CRATER

LIKE THE PROFITS I ONCE HAD

I blatantly disagree. If you watch almost any modern hollyjew movie the cinetomagraphy/editing are lightning paced. The scores are utterly forgettable. I thought the music in this trailer was not only well implemented and inserted at fitting sequences but also was interesting enough that I listened intently when it was audible. The imagery is unique in that it was absolutely inspired by Junji Ito, the Nordic event of Ragnarok, and the Bible… epic materials. However, that's not to say that I liked this at all. I think it's gimmicky and stupid to even partially center a story/cinematic around celebrity reveals. The reveals were not of familiar characters, they were of celebrities. Basically it's Kojima jerking off and saying "oh look at all the famous people who are in my video game." Also the events and actions and scenery are all so nonsensical that one must ponder if Kojima's artistic ego is totally blown out of proportion. When an artist has no one telling him that his ideas are shit Death Stranding happens. I'll probably end up playing it two or three years after it's initial release.

kojimacucks are hilarious spergs

What did he mean by this?

lmao

you're in for a rude awakening

I can assure you that it took no effort you lazy nigger

smdh tbqh

lmao you play videogames? what are you 6?

That guy who plays the guy at the end is so handsome, I don't know. His face is so, beautiful, he is like sculpture. I want to hug him, I want to just be around him.

That's because you are a thot.

I am a man.

This is the first trailer they released.

youtube.com/watch?v=hI8goBqqRTo

"Generic" doesn't mean "I don't like this."

you're still a fucking thot

wtf lol

>>>Holla Forums

weebcuckry enshrined
Kojicuck is a good director, but bad at everything else, his works are like a dish, with lots of different foods in it, sure its a great dish but it ultimately taste like shit.

reddit: the post

oh please

I want that guy in the end to stick his hand down my gruts, and make me smell it.

Only reddit still worships that failed kinographer.

What are innaritu, terrence malcuck, winding refn, etc. The only remotely unique thing here is everything is done in one take.

Like this one isn't? It's a generic synthpop and electronic ambiance.

Sounds like some mediocre synthpop from your average refn joint. I think the annoying music makes the trailer even worse. Only retards would put music in such a scene anyway.

Looks quite bland to me.

He's a overrated hack who probably thinks that the essence of what makes Harry Clarke's art good is the shock value.

Now at this point you should head back to reddit.

I'm sorry that Kojimbo is too advanced for you user.

I have transcended advancement.

Knack 2 looks better tbh.

Here's a high quality version.

Why is Juji Ito a hack?

Also I agree, I liked the carnival music when you see the tank but dislike the celebritys and the synthpop once the baby blinks red. The imagery with the upside down rainbow made it just the right amount of surreal for me.

Shit looked retarded to me. Niggas need to stop fellating everything he does.

is kojima the m night shyamalan of videogames?

I have never seen a Terrence Malick film besides Badlands which is great so I can't speak for him. Innaritu is overrated as hell but I can't call him a hack. Refn has only done four good movies that aren't hedonistic sludge and that is the Pusher trilogy and Only God Forgives. The cinematgrophy here doesn't even remotely match any of the filmmakers you listed, besides Refn to an extent. Also out of the directors you cited only Malick is a Hollywood director.

Like this one isn't? It's a generic synthpop and electronic ambiance.
I actually was only talking about the song that plays when the tank is shown and when Del Toro is shown after activating the baby chamber.

Yeah the synthpop music is generic, not the other shit. And why would only retards put music in a scene like this?

How is it bland?

He actually creates original work that nothing else matches. Sure when compared to other 'horror' artists like Barlowe, Beksinski, Giger… even Bisley he doesn't come close in technical skill. He is far from a a hack though and he is just a manga illustrator.

Come on now, at least you could be original.

Fuck off kojimadrone

I have never once said that I like Kojima.

I don't praise any of those directors, just saying that long takes aren't really out of fashion. People just implement it badly, they don't know how to use long takes to heighten audience's state of awareness by making them observe the picture and manipulate the flow of time by themselvess.

Even though everything is done through one take, the camera moves too fast and the zooms are too dictating. Kojima kills the image too quickly before we can truly immerse ourselves in what's going on, you can tell that he has a short attention span, he just wanted to tell a story instead of showing an artistic image. The camera angle plays too safe. The slow motion sequences don't improve anything, they're obnoxious even. The wall bleeds too fast. Even with the lack of shaky cam, this is no different than the cancer that Hollywood produces. No intention to preserve the image, this is the inherent problem that Kojima also suffers.

The imagery looks quite bland for 4 reasons. (1) The texture is garbage, too barren, soft, and uninteresting. (2) The murky filter and lack of good shading and colors, they truly hurt the composition, it should've been more vivid. (3) Unsatisfying camera angle and zooms that I have explained before. Maybe the camera angle isn't a huge problem, but the rapid zoom certainly is. (4) There could be more emphasis on Del Toro's expression and the tank and troops that marched on the bridge, a deep focus shot on Del Toro's tense change of expression while the troops march on the screen at the same time would be nice. Or maybe just a focus on Del Toro's face from a slightly tilted camera angle to show the bleeding wall while the sounds of the tanks and troops are passing by, is enough.

I actually like the music that was played at the beginning when the "A Hideo Kojima Joint" title was showed. But it ended too quickly, the camera moved too fast, and there should be no more music beyond that. Let me immerse fully in the natural noises of war. Why would only retards put music in a scene like this? Because they're retarded, that's why. They think that video music can be cinema.

As for Junji Ito, his horror are too unbelievable to be scary. He went from the subtle to extremely overblown. Maybe it's just an idiosyncrasy of his, but the thing is his fear of simple things are so irrationally uncontrolled that I laughed at his works instead of trembling in fear. The anomaly goes out of scale beyond what the psychological investment can tolerate, too much suspension of disbelief to be scary. I don't diss his technical skill, he's a capable artist who creates intriguing decoration motifs (which is why he reminded me of Harry Clarke), but it's his mindset that needs to be fixed. He should stop smoking weed.

Where were you when white people were finished? White people are OVER.

Mike, is that you?

Texture?

(10:56)
youtu.be/lIIA6QDgl2M?t=656

Texture on 3D models. They should look sharper.

Yes, I get that Ito tries to make horror out of ordinary things. I love the idea, it's the execution that is flawed. His horror is way out of the ordinary that the theme isn't familiar anymore. He threw all of the subtleties out of the window, it makes the setting that is supposed to be believable, stop being believable. It makes him look like a paranoid freak. Yes, his art is good, but his theme fails due to the self contradiction.

If he set his story's in hell would they be believable?

If his story's we're believable they would run into another problem entirely. For example: Eager Allen Poe's "A Tell Tale Heart". Though this story is believable it can be explained by saying the main character is mad. And horror that is explained is never as scary as it was before it was explained. And if all of his story's were believable they all would inevitably be easy to explain by saying that the main character is mad. Eventually leading people to expect a mad main character, ruining said horror.

No, it's not like that. A small scaled setting should have a small scaled horror. Junji Ito takes a small setting into a gargantuan scale horror. It just betrays the point of the theme.

I don't want him to set the story in hell, that would be too cliche. I just want a subtle horror, small but unsolvable anomalies that scare us. Like for example, his comic, The Window Next Door, the build up should be slower, the woman should show up more often and with a face that's barely visible on the early occasions, but becomes more and more visible as the story goes on. That ending, where the window grew closer to the MC's room, is really unnecessary.

By believable, I don't imply that it should be explainable. It's the subtleness of the anomaly, small yet observable disobedience of the laws of physics

Such as?

Eye witness accounts of ghost sightings, ghost photos, and such things. They don't give much evidence scientifically, but this fear of subtle anomaly is the biggest and most inexplainable fear that humans can posses. Because to comprehend these anomalies, one would need to observe, and observation require a heightened state of awareness. To be confounded out at the highest state of awareness is the scariest thing. No, not surprised, but mystified and bewildered by the infinitely enigmatic abnormality. For me, the fear wears out when the anomaly becomes too "on your face" obvious.

bump

Will this manage to surpass the pretentiousness of MGS2?

FTFY

how does one into surreal imagery like this? I'd like to get a legitimaete study going on the topic, but can't find any books on it or really know where to begin looking.

0/10

nvm it's an American tank destroyer, M18 I think, I thought it was a Panther at first.

why are you people still talking about a fucking VIDEOGAME on the ADULT board about MOVIES?? are you all 6? who the fuck plays videogames after they grow up? fuck you all, reported everyon on this thread.

went too far with that one.

Video games are mainstream, and have never been the sole domain of children. Children watch live action movies too but I don't see anyone claiming that live action movies are for children.

wrong kiddo.

Playing arcade games used to be pretty common for children and adults (and still is in Japan where arcades didn't die off), and while a lot of kids were playing Mario on consoles a lot of adults were playing strategy, simulation and adventure games on home computers. Back then computers were made mostly for work.

If board and card games are for adults then what makes you think that electronic games just magically cannot be?

wrong kiddo.

What a great argument.

I'm not going to waste my IQ of 198 to argue with a child like you, I know I'm right and your wrong.

butthurt journalist pls go

Those are two different things you stupid nigger

Don't let the door hit you, sweetheart.

It's pure kino!

What did you mean by this?

Why live?

wrong kiddo.

its antisemitic bullshit.

Feels bad man.

Totes agree, I bet all these cisgendered drumpfkins watch deranged, coded, antisemitic garbage like Alex Jones, along with other fake news from russian agents like Ron Paul

echh, WASPs make me sick, Upboat for you good sir

technology isn't good enough to show good facial animation. the characters look constipated or autistic and confused as to what they are supposed to do. I guess that explains the kojicucks sucking the drippings from their nip bull's dick tip. Looks like another "cinematic experience"
verdict: garbaggio

It is. See LA Noire for example.

Elijah wood in death standing?

L.A. Noire is the proof that technology wasn't ready at the time. It wasn't facial animation, I think the studio tech was basically this: they filmed every dialog and pasted the faces on 3d models, that's why every characters' eyes look at nothing when they speak.

You mean the technology was not ready for a limited console in real time.

They used a special camera setup to make a 3D capture of the actors' faces as they performed their lines.

youtube.com/watch?v=q2EG5J05048

Avatar basically did this but better. Right?

Paul Verhoeven is still making films?
Noice.

They already have

Videogames have surpassed films as art

SUCK IT ROGER EBERT

Quantum Break has transcended all of my films, it is truly pure Kino.

-Anderi Tarkovsky, December 8th, 2016.

graphics degredation between trailers and final product
>again
im glad i stopped caring about big budget games.

The way to circumvent this is to visually "downgrade", you shouldnt be aiming for photorealism if you are going for a game that relies heavily on characters conveying emotions, you are literally better off with some kind of cell-shaded telltale shit, or better yet a very different artstyle that conveys something and makes it easier to do faces that arent uncanny valley.

witcher is a good example, its realistic looking but manages to avoid some of this through its own style. Dishonored comes to mind as well, obviously the artstyle is borderline ludicrous but it works better than pseudo-photorealism

Is CIA doomed to only play CIA for the rest of his career?

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
Because anyone who calls themselves "smart" is usually quite far from the truth.

A smart person knows they aren't really "smart" until they understand everything they could ever want/need to know, and how to use that knowledge to its fullest potential. Since those goals are literally impossible (especially if you truly hunger for knowledge), a smart person would never consider themselves "smart" because they know there is always more to learn. You can't go showing off your trophy before you've finished the race.

Anyone who thinks they're "smart" usually sees it as an accomplishment. They're smart, so they don't need to learn anything. They already did their learning, and it made them smart. Smart people already know lots of things, so they don't need to learn! Learning is for dumb people who aren't smart! Then when they get called out on their shit, they bust out the old excuse "Well I'm smart, but I'm really lazy :)"

In actuality, smart and lazy (I wouldn't use the word 'but') people exist. If you've ever heard of someone who works smart instead of working hard, that's smart and lazy. Sure, the smart guy COULD have rolled up his sleeves and put his back into it, he COULD have put in the hours of overtime to get it done, he COULD have trained for hours or days beforehand to tackle some obstacle, but the smart guy is lazy and doesn't like hard work, so he finds/makes a tool to do the task with little effort. He managed to achieve the same result with less effort, not necessarily because it was simpler or easier, but because it meant he didn't have to get sweaty.

For example, you can get up and walk over to the TV to change the volume, but who's going to cheer for that extra work? Where's your extra reward for the extra effort? Where's your pat on the back for doing it the hard way? Where's your thanks? If it's all the same, why not just use the remote? Because it lacks "honor" or "dignity"? That just says you never had those two things to begin with.

Unfortunately yes. No matter the setting he'll always play CIA

Spoilers for anyone who cares, this would be the only game that made me consider buying a ps4 just to play it.

I am saving it, but I doubt this is really it.

I watched a lot of theory videos before I saw that posted on Holla Forums and it really does line up.

Theory videos are just that, theories. There is also a few years between now and a final released product, meaning things can change. So I will remain skeptic until I can compare the two and see how right these spoilers are.

Is it weird that I've never found the works of Junji Ito scary?

no. his stuff is only good for reaction images.

Ito makes comedy manga with grotesque imagery and horror themes.

No, but you should read pic related, he's great when he shows restraint and doesn't derail into looney toons horror.

That time when he tries to get trico to jump over the bridge, that's not the way forward.

Ew…

What's so bad about him?

Besides being a lolsorandumb I'm DSP but it's ironic! youtuber?

Being a faggot who would just shill and spam his videos on Holla Forums with the same threads asking
or some other hogwash for years.

If it's possible to cross the bridge then he should have been able to do it easily.

Why do people always assume that someone who regularly gets millions of views is the person responsible for posting their videos on 4/Holla Forums?

m8 he really did just spam and shill his garbage on the board. It was the same copypasted comments. Someone checked and saw the same dunkey image and OP text was made over a thousand times on Holla Forums within one year. This is before the foolz archive went bellyup.

A video game journalist I was reading one of the good ones, if such a thing exists claimed his hiring was partly due to the fact that his presence meant the viral marketing budget could be roughly halved.

We're getting him roles!

Why hasn't brendan gotten any jobs yet?

When will you faggots realize that Kojima is a hack who thinks big and fails miserably at the final hurdle.

He's the Christopher Nolan of the vidya industry.

PW was good you faggot.

Oh yeah, I sure loved doing the same god awful fulton side-ops `100 times over to level up my men.

I sure loved those amazing boss fights that I spent 20 minutes bullet-sponging.

The problem with Peace Walker is that it feels like a console game ported to handheld from the get-go.
It doesn't feel fun to play at all, and there's barely anything to do outside of missions.

Doesnt this belong in >>>Holla Forums?

You have no proofs this is a videogame.
It has literally transcended the genre

Yes it is.

M. Night Shayamalan actually made a few couple good movies, though.

Have videogames been elevated past their genre into kino and then into videogames again?

5:45 made me laugh. The game looks pretty cool, though.