What ever happened to camp? Why must everything be dark, gritty and realistic nowadays...

What ever happened to camp? Why must everything be dark, gritty and realistic nowadays? The audience knows it's all a movie already, so why can't they just focus on it being entertaining instead of being believable? Without realism, the film makers can be more creative and get away with more things without having to adhere to some strict logic.

Marvel capeshit is camp af and shitty af tbh.

Camp disappeared in the 90s thanks to the hack attempts at noir-realism and cuckatino-fanboyism. Dark gritty realism may dominate these days but the seed was planted way back in the 90s (arguably late 80s) when a new wave of film school students got out and were told to make movies that resembled post-WWII realism. The real culprit lies elsewhere.

That seed is very unsuspecting but ask yourself, what genre dominated the 90s? Suspense thrillers. There were hundreds of suspense thrillers that were blended into other genres and the interwoven theme between them all was that they were attempts at setting up realism. In a way you can safely say that the suspense thriller was the gritty realism of the 90s. The irony is that suspense thrillers were not the most successful at achieving blockbuster status. However, cumulatively they outweighed the success of individual blockbusters from each year. More irony is that suspense thrillers are often so much up their own asses that they are unintentionally campy.

flash gordon is not campy, go kill yourself you millenial douchebag hipster faggot

campy is supposed to be appealing to the viewer through irony, its self aware stupidity. flash gordon was the original capeshit, yes - but it was not birthed to the purpose of entertaining through self imposed flaws screaming at the reader to laugh at the ridiculousness of itself. you're exactly the kind of asshat who owns a directors cut bluray of gentleman broncos and napolean dynamite.

camp is sharknado, not flash gordon… camp and nostalgia are not the same fucking thing

What about the 60s Batman?

well given the animated onomatopoeia i'm leaning heavily toward campy, purposefully ironic kitsch

Technically some of the Marvel movies are camp like Guardians of the Galaxy.

You can't have camp with CGI sets and green screen.

doubt it: in batman those were cutting edge graphics of the 60's. it's nostalgia brah.

I don't know where punk cinema/video nasty falls in terms of camp but it never really died. Ash vs. Evil dead is ok but too 2016 for my taste.

Sometimes nowadays you have movies trying to be 'ironically campy' as if they are parodying it but it just fails and comes off as cringy.

If you want camp go to a gay pride parade you faggot.

Camp means colourful costumes and Joss Whedon quips now.

Sharknado isn't camp, it's exploitation.

That's because camp only works if you put your heart into it. It's a bit silly and a bit weird but someone really wanted it that way and it makes it fun.

Says who? The Mask had CGI and it was campy. Also the new Ninja Turtles movie was pretty campy as well.

dark and gritty is the new camp, user.

Now, here is the thing.
I think the Joel Schumacher Batmans are better than the Burton ones because the latter ones make you feel depressed, because they are so dark and violent, while the Schumacher-ones are campy and fun.

Same is true with the old Judge Dredd vs. the new Dredd; and I just saw the 1994 Street Figther movie with Van Damme and Raul Julia days ago, and found it to be really fun.

Those old movies were made with fun in mind, these are now made with money in mind

Can you name post-Iron Man examples for this?

Technically means that have made that movie with the purpose of making "the loosers" the big heroes and changing the genre that way? Maybe true, but Drax, Groot and the green woman are way overpowered by default, so no matter that Drax is dumb, Groot is even dumber and the woman is a bad killer, they can't be seen like loosers. Hell, Groot is like a tree god…

latent faggot detected

Read further, you idiot

That's more light than camp

thor 2 is definitely camp, so is guardians.

Flash Gordon was never meant to be camp. It was intended to be serious, but it ended up unintentionally hammy.

Because there is too many unfunny douchebags around, who can't enjoy things for what they are, they either have to be grim-dark-"realism" for the viewer to feel clever, or super-ironic tounge-in-cheek-look-at-me-how-dumb-all-these-clichés-are type of movie.

The simple answer is, millenias are fucking douchebags, know-nothing, own-nothing dickheads who think they are clever. You know the type, the ones who claim The Dark Knight is the best movie of all time and Heath Ledger is the best actor of all time. Who quotes the Joker unironically and think movie-quality progresses with age….

The Mask is just "what if a guy could be Bugs Bunny?". Slapstick, puns, and messing with rubes. Not camp.

Camp got associated with the gays and after that, nobody else wanted to touch it.

yeah its not like gays are becoming more popular & accepted, and they dont have any money to spend or anything

why is doctor strange fighting he-man?

Camp can't be made because they feel the urge to be self-aware and ironic, like they know they're camp and are gonna nod and wink at the spectator.

Personally, I felt Thor 2 was too dull to be camp.