Why do people say Hans Zimmer has never done anything good when he made the OST for pic related?

Why do people say Hans Zimmer has never done anything good when he made the OST for pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IXbQUJbckZM
youtube.com/watch?v=_avcQQNoJok
youtube.com/watch?v=lp-wuqH63qU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I forgot he did the OST for that, which wasn't memorable in the first place

Maybe not from the movie, but if you listen to the soundtrack by itself it's pretty solid.

Zimmer has lost his mojo and creating Remote Control didn't help. Thanks to that factory of bland composers (Djawadi, Balfe, Tyler, Junkie XL, etc), the movie business is saturated with generic music.

EVERYONE IS DOING THE DREAMWORKS FACE, EVEN THE FISH, JESUS FUCK.

THIS

Zimmer makes a neat tune, but that's it. Only one per film, the rest you don't remember. On top of that, he hardly has any variation in composition, it's just the same motif for a few minutes and nothing but strings, brass and percussion.

*tips pork pie hat*

It's a fact you dingleberry, basic composition.

Also, I have a tribly, not a pork pie.

Trilby*

Bacuase people feel the need to be contrarians. Liking popular and successful things is not allowed in 2016.

No no, most of his work is garbage. But the megamind OST is breddy gud.

Hello newfriend

piss off m8, I've been here since summer

No it isn't. It has its eyes fully opened and no eyebrows. Dreamworks face doesn't mean smiling.

What's sad is that he uses an orchestra but it's ruined by his heavy editing/mixing, so in the end it sounds like if he used a bunch of samples. Djawadi (one of his disciples) does the same thing.

every. g-ddamn. time.

Zimmer has done some very good work, but his music seems to fly under the radar more often than not. His discography is really extensive and I at least don't remember the music of more than a few movies.

Then again I'm not a fan of the kind of scoring where the music just follows the contours of the action and tries not too draw too much attention to itself, which seems to be the norm in American cinema (and which isn't necessarily reflective of the skill of the composer, since they just do what the director asks).

I wonder how much of his discography is really his work. I know for example that Brian Tyler uses a lot of ghostwriters (I read somewhere that one of his score was 99% made by a ghostwriter).

depends on how many films/games he's done collaborations on.

also, interesting story about him

also, most of the themes from pirates that you know and love weren't his compositions, but rather klaus badelt.

also also, from what i can tell, zimmer lifts a lot of other composers' work for his shit. much like williams borrowing from holst and stravinski, zimmer has taken a lot from bach.

Some soundtracks to Crysis 2 only say "featuring music by Hans Zimmer" on the cover, even though the vast majority of the work was done by others and he wasn't the sole composer of any track. So they weren't lying but they also created the impression that Zimmer was behind the whole thing and drummed up more publicity for the game.

These are all by Zimmer and Lorne Balfe:
youtube.com/watch?v=IXbQUJbckZM
youtube.com/watch?v=_avcQQNoJok
youtube.com/watch?v=lp-wuqH63qU

how did they get away with using the terminator theme?

Did they? It doesn't make me think of Terminator.

yeah the very beginning of the track is pretty much the same

the crysis track is a bet sped up

It's a trivial similarity and likely a coincidence.

fuck you, zimmer is an unoriginal cunt.

This is one of the greatest themes in the history of film. Brad Fiedel earned his place in Valhalla with this one.