This was the last time they spoke as friends

POTTERY

This to me was always the biggest problem with the prequels.
Lucas tried to make it large and artistic, ignoring that the original trilogy was small and simplistic. The prequels by themselves are good films but the Original Trilogy was a fairy tale everyone can enjoy, with enough for the most pleb normal fags to enjoy up front and enough for even the most high class fans to enjoy in the back, Lucas had only thought of the high class people, the prequels lack communication towards the normal fags and thus are considered shit.

True, makes me wonder if a prequel should've ever been attempted. It sometimes doesn't seem to match the original trilogy.

I think that's partially due to him finally having total creative freedom when he made the prequels. Lucas was always more cerebral than people make him out to be, without having to compromise his films lost significant mainstream appeal.

They have some really good moments so I think something positive did come out of it.

The first one is fucking awful. Second one is shitty but not as bad and the third one is okay.

Yeah I do like parts of them. Do you think they needed to be refined or were the prequels good as they were?

To me they all have some good and bad moments.
Out of them all I enjoyed the first one the most as surprising as that may sound.

Why did you like the first one the most? I always preferred the 3rd one.

It's more bearable through the moments that aren't good but the first had better moments than the other 2.

TPM is my favourite SW film with AotC being a close second. If I were to rank the films from best to worst according to my own personal preference it would go:

Please explain.

Only the Dagobah segments and the final duel really did anything for me, Hoth was stylistically nice but except for establishing a few things there wasn't much to it and the part inside the asteroid worm and in Cloud City weren't that great.

I'm not sure I could pin down exactly what it was that rubbed me the wrong way in ESB but it's my least rewatched film and for reasons I don't enjoy watching it as much as the rest. It's probably a lot of small things contributing to that, like the boring Cloud City sets. Maybe a subtle change for the worse in the directing too? I usually watch the saga as a whole so perhaps it doesn't mesh well with the rest? It's hard to put my finger on it.

Do keep in mind that I'm much like George mainly engaging with the films on a visual level and that the aesthetics and composition are incredibly important to me. ESB probably does have the best dialogue of all the films, the best chemistry between the actors and so on but that's not why I watch SW, if I wanted that I'd watch a serious drama.

The only good Star Wars movie. The rest are shit.

never understood how people could stomach 2 over 1.

The thing is that Star Wars was always intended to be an allegory for Lucas's own life packed into an epic space fantasy. It was intensely personal to him and he was going to make those artistic prequels no matter what. Anakin was George's self-insert and he had to have an origin story.

Besides that, the originals were fairly artsy too. Lots of real mystical shit going on, with Ben and Yoda basically being old monks trying to train Luke as a clerical warrior. Luke is almost like a r63 Joan of Arc; just a simple farm kid who was called to save his people from an oppressive occupying force. Of course there's more to Luke than just one story or principle; for example he, and Leia to a lesser extent, is also the subject of the classic question of the heritability of the sins of the father. There's the redemption of Han Solo from uncaring scoundrel to selfless hero, and how he passes on his redemption to his friend Lando. There's the gradual unmasking of Darth Vader, how he uses all three movies to transform from a generic black-clad bad guy into a sympathetic father, symbolized by the amount of time he spends without his mask on in each film, which culminates in his ultimate unmasking in episode six. And of course, we can't forget about the Force itself. The Force was always a highly symbolic principle, and its full meaning is likely known only to Lucas himself.

Were there some campy action scenes? Yes, because it was the 80s. But Lucas tried his best to make it as deep as he dared.

Damn this music really makes this even more great with the clips from the OT. It saddens me that this great music was used for TFA. TFA isn't worthy of this music.

star wars is like zelda games now. Every new one is shit and the last one is somehow now good.

If I may I think fan reaction has something to do with it. When the prequels came out people shat on it because it sucked. This became the norm and Disney capitalized on this to try and make TFA good. Now TFA sucks and people call it out but those old school fans still have their OT nostalgia that blinds them to the shit that is TFA.

i doubt it, I haven't thought any of the star wars films were good. honestly, it's everything done outside the films that were enjoyable, like most of the video games.

oddly enough, Indiana Jones were the better films but all the video games and extra stuff has been shit. go figure.

er, with the except of Fate of Atlantis. that was a pretty good point & click adventure game.

I always liked the prequels, you just notice my opinion now because of TFA. It did probably make some people realise that the prequels weren't as bad as they thought but many people like me always enjoyed them. To me the prequels are inseparable from the OT, they both made SW what it was.

are you saying he killed kids and choked out his wife?

you're legitimately stupid if you think that's people changing their opinion and not people with different opinions coming and going with time.

oh yeah you're probably right, i forget how shit the tastes you millenials have.

Excuse me the prequels sucked there is no getting around that point.
TFA makes the prequels look far better by comparison because TFA is SJW feminist/bolshevik propaganda which is very unpopular. Whatever the flaws of the prequels they were not SJW propaganda and thus they look really good by comparison. Wait until Rogue one the prequels will look even better by comparison due how terrible that film will be.

stay triggered nintencuck.

kill yourself faggot

hahahaha

Though the problem you're talking about is huge. They don't fit in with the original movies at all

kek what world do you live in? they're shit movies yeah but "bolshevik propaganda"?

It's the filler part of the trilogy. It doesn't really have an opening, it doesn't really have an ending, it's just part 2 of 3.

Star wars could be a self contained movie, it works as a single story. Jedi works as a single story as well but is made deeper by having the first 2 parts. ESB doesn't work as a single story, it's a bridge.

Some people don't like bridges. They would rather a story was told rather than one set up.

That's because Star wars changed over time. Star wars was a story about a farm boy fighting an evil emperor. A classic fantasy tale done in a science fiction world. It took something familiar and added a spin to it.

As the franchise grew Jedi became more well known. They became super heroes who used laser swords to fight. As such the prequels take that idea of star wars and put a spin on it (The super heroes are losing their power and the big bad is going to win).

The prequels aren't like the original trilogy because the original trilogy is the START of the journey. The prequels are the current leg of the journey and as such the franchise has changed and isn't trying to be the dopey farm boy any more.

ESB>ANH>ROTJ

MASSIVE POWER GAP
TFA

SMALLER POWER GAP
ROTS>AOTC>TPM

It's not hard, people.

lots of tumblrcucks posting here today. did CTR have a bunch of layoffs?

you fucking wish you faggot.
The right list is

RoTS
ANH
TPM
ESB
AotC
and then RoTJ
RoTJ had the Jabba palace and Ewok planet scenes which were a fucking bore. The original version was good and had a creep factor. But the rerelease killed it.
TFA is barely a fucking movie. It has J.J.'s "If I dont explain shit that makes this DEEP" meme written all over it.
No one fucking knows what Snoke is. And he's the fucking villain. We dont have to establish what he does. But we should have an idea of who the fuck he is and why we should care about him?
For all I know he and long face McJew in the mask are backdoor buddies and Han+Leia didn't approve of their gay union. See? That's current year enough to probably be the case.

This is a question that in my mind is very hard to answer. Is TFA really a genuinely better movie than any of the prequels, when it suffers from so many of the same problems, and even extra problems like the copied plot and insufficient background?

Terrible bait my friend. No one would unironically put Empire below any of the prequels and put TPM in any spot other than last.

trying way too hard to fit in fam

I'm going to say I enjoyed the prequels more than I enjoyed the original trilogy.
It's just my opinion.

What did you guys think of Caravan of Courage, Battle for Endor, and the Holiday Special? I never see people even rank those 10/10 top kinos in their fucking lists

I always liked the prequels, never understood why some highly autistic Star Wars nerds would shit on them. Most normal people i've spoken to seemed to think they were good.

You mean the same market that defends the Jew Awakens?

This is the proper order from best to worst

Tbh i need to rewatch 2 and 3, but i always felt that 2 suffered from the cringey romance scenes, other than that it's pretty good imo.

6 was always my favorite. The good thing I can say about 2 is some of the political stuff and the stuff on Geonosis but thats about it.

Nigga, coruscant and kamino were top-notch

Personally i would like a dick tracy styled obi-wan spinoff series

By 1970s and early 80s standards they were bigass movies with revolutionary effects

Hello, Kike Cucklasa.

The Ewok movies are seriously interesting to watch, they provide much insight into what Star Wars was before the prequels transformed it into the timeless series it later became.

No one who blindly followed the herd. Empire is severely overrated and TPM underrated, as is AotC.

You actually liked that cringy romance dialogue?

There's more to the film than that you know.

The first starwars is just a retaling of the "Arthurian" cycle in space for the story with a few adjustment. FFS even the NAMES of the characters are a from that. The only thing clever Lucas did is not portraying Arthur that way bunches of illiterates like you never realized what it was.

Then C/C from older movies and nazi/WWII fetishism for the scenes.

Anyone worshiping it as something grand deserve to burn in a fire.
Is it entertaining, yes? Well made? Yes.
But it's a pure commercial product with 0 depth to it. The only one with a bit of something else in it is Empire.

The pre-quels proved to everyone what the entire Hollywood knew: that Lucas is a hack that can't direct to save his life.

He couldn't just c/c the Arthurian cycle anymore so we've got that horrible horrible mess instead (that can be resume by a few pages and fillers in between were he had no idea what to put) and he just c/c the first trilogy (and every successfully visual SF movie ever done) for the scenes.

The new ones are a mix of both, except instead of copying the tropes of something deeply rooted in culture they just copy the trendy tropes of the moment for the chars/story, the strong teen girl, the bromance… and C/C the first trilogy for the scenes.
And with that formula they're hopping to do them FOREVER a la marvel.

>>>/reddit/

Wouldn't the prequels be better by following the villains story instead of the heroe's story? Are there any good literary examples of this like a Byronic Hero or something?

The sequel you mean?
The pre-quels are an unsalvageable mess and the MC is Anakin (though the ones that evolve the most is actually Obi Wan because those movies are shit) so you're following the villain already… it's just shit.

You could have done a far better movie by developing the characters of the nigger and the EVIL teen, mainly by reversing the roles of the not-empire and the not-rebellion. With the first order being a smaller guerrilla style that supported what remains of the empire (because for them the new republic only brought war and instability or something and the nigger progressively, not in the first fucking scene, realizing that he's in fact on the wrong side. Maybe he gets stranded with the pilot and force to cooperate then they become friends? Instead of insta friendship lol I'm a fun nigger) and the EVIL teen not starting as evil (as we suppose he was…) but succumbing to bad parenting (Leia is likely 24/7 doing politician shit, Han basically GTFO) + pressure to succeed since all his family are galactic level heroes (why didn't they put that in it… Edgy teen char without actual teen angst? FFS have you teen how many "twilight" shit has been shat? Weird decision).
That way you would have had a build up where Han gets it (probably not in the first, keep that for the second)

Well that's the problem with the new ones… too many characters.

t. Pleb who knows nothing