Other urls found in this thread:

jah.oxfordjournals.org/content/99/1/208.full
duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowskys-dune-uncovered
playdosgamesonline.com/dune.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Me too.

It's kino tbh

Had the hottest women.

Normalfags don't like it because it's too unconventional for their little reddit tastes. They bullied poor Lynch into thinking he doesn't like it either even though it's Kino tier and should be celebrated as an example of out-of-the-box un-(((hollywwood))) blockbuster.

I like the visual design, and certain scenes (mostly the weird Lynch shit that wasn't in the book). As an overall package it's not very good though.

Every scene with the Harkonnens is pure gold.

I loved that shit.

the theatrical cut is good, but the edits that put the deleted scenes back in make the film way better.

and yeah, normalfags can't into herbert/lynch as said

So did I.
My name is a killing word.

cgi remake when

The jew faggots behind game of cucks are doing a series.

Even though Dune was deeply flawed it's still an art film with amazing visuals that capture the essence of the Dune Universe. And Paul's mom was really hot.

Unfortunately I can't see it the same way today I did back then (I saw it when it came out in 84). Now I see the Fremen for what they are, space muslims, and I want the Harkonens to wipe them out.

Also recently tried to read the book again after all these years and found it to be incredibly juvenile superhero fantasy with a cool exotic veneer. Sorry to those who still like it.

It looked good, but the plot needed at least another half hour to be comprehensible. As is, it's just barely held together

I liked it the only problem is that there is just too much happening for the allotted amount of time. Too many ideas not enough expansion.

Did you just read the first book? The second one completely destroys the escapist heroic fantasy of the first one.

This.

It's funny in a way, the only way you're going to understand it all is to have read the book first but if you're a book purist it's likely you won't like the film very much. That's why it flopped commercially, the plebs thought they were getting another Star Wars and it took too many liberties with the source material for it to be appealing to bookfags.

I still love it though, it's an incredible film.

In the introduction to one of the later editions, Herbert wrote that he had intended for people to read the Fremen as space Muslims and Paul as a savage warlord. You can see a little of that still in the first book, but I think Herbert grew to like Paul over the course of writing that one and so didn't want to start making him a really bad guy.

I always found it way too slow and tedious as a film personally.

A big issue with Dune is how so much of it is extremely hard to film in a movie. As a television show with like a 5-6 season running time I could see it working. Part of it is how so much of the universe requires a lot of explaining and it really needs a lot of mental investment. Otherwise a lot of the weird visuals just come off as too strange and out there.

The Fremen essentially are space muslims. I always saw Dune as a metaphor for the US's intervention in the Middle East and the global reliance on oil

With Paul Atredies I really like it because in Dune and it's sequel the character is broken down from a heroic teenage fantasy. For one, the character has a predestiny that is shown to him that he desperately wishes to avoid. The idea that he will lead some form of genocide because he was born to be a kind of godlike warmonger. And the irony towards the end is that he ends up causing the galactic genocide while trying to also avoid it.

It always felt like the book was satirizing broad hero worship in fantasy and mythology by portraying the hero as less than romantic and only the result of a group of primitives wanting to see him as a god so they can justify their violence on others.

There's also a lot of allusions to things like the downfall of the Roman empire and the rise of Christianity among many other historical periods. It's a fascinating book to me and I've always held it in really high regard. But it's really hard to tell in a film due to how much of the story requires literal dialogue explanation and exposition.

You mean that the US intervention in the Middle East was a metaphor for Dune right?

The US has been involved with acquiring oil in Africa for a while

jah.oxfordjournals.org/content/99/1/208.full

It was more a Lawrence of Arabia thingy.

There's also that yeah. I've found though that the conquest of resources has made the book feel much more relevant today than it did back in the 60s.

Ironically David Lynch would have been the perfect director for every Dune book that isn't the first one.

Best scene of the movie and The Baron is best antagonist.

its a real shame they dont let crazy people make sci fi with a budget.

pure >>>/reddit/ mentality

I like the way you put that. You seem like a cool guy.

The miniseries was pruddy good, also I wanted the princess to sit on my face

Weird way of saying that every Dune book except the first one was shit.

The miniseries costumes were horrid.

the 80's dune movie was entertaining and had good pacing and an engaging plot, unlike the boring shitty written books.

Examples?

See

Also the part where the Baron spits on the face of the Duchess after she has been captured and is tied up on the ground.

Dune was always weird, but not enough to become a niche cult. With even more artistic freedom, and without chasing down Star Wars, it could have become just crazy enough.

I'm glad it didn't do well so that it wasn't ever tained by reddit tier cultism.

Cult followings are the movie killer. They are the little-fags that bring total annihilation of decent movies.

Still curious if Jodorowskys Dune would have been better or if we got off lucky.

If you watched the documentary, Jadorowsky's ending was absolute trash and new age wankery.

fuck that, wouldn't have had the god tier soundtrack.

Nigga if you're going to complain about the miniseries, bitch about the horribly aged CGI

It would've had nothing to do with the source material.

Might have been better for it, I really liked his Metabarons comics.

The cat milking.

I didn't get a sense of whether it was good or bad, I just thought it was a fascinating thing to exist and it kept me engaged for almost all of it.

rain on arrakis

it would be dune in name. probably a damn good movie, but absolutely not an adaptation whatsoever.

MY MOTHAFUCKIN NIGGA

(i really like the score for dune)

Would have been pretentious horseshit.

I love The Incal, but if I go see a movie called Dune I want it to be adapted from the book, not just using the name.

The Incal and Metabaron comics give you a good idea of how it would have been. Weird and pretty cool, but not exactly Dune.

Dune is an actual cult movie. Not a "cult movie" like Star Wars that everyone has seen and loves.

Fuck, I love the soundtrack. It really makes the scene when they're riding the worm.

the movie is pretty gud still holds up to a good watch today

Traveling…without moving.

You did not post the woman who played Jessica, the hottest one of them all.

Read it:

duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowskys-dune-uncovered

Could be a fake tho.

i'm sad big ed isn't returning in twin peaks.

It doesn't seem to be.

If they made another Dune filmatization today, would they downplay that Fremen are violent space muslims or emphasize that they are sandniggers while ignoring the whole violent starspanning Jihad?

It all makes sense now.

either yes, they would downplay it, or no, they would go full retard and actually get muslims to portray them.

Undeniably so

And they would make the fremen very progressive and "diverse", with prominent gay couples and lesbians in burqas.

don't forget black.

although tbh i think there was a black fremen in the lynch movie.

There was this guy

Paul Atreides is Lawrence of Arabia.

I liked the game

playdosgamesonline.com/dune.html

This is kind of slow going, but also kind of awesome.

I love pretty much all of Cryo's games but that was the game that put them on the map. Amazing atmosphere in that one.

Dune movie was pure, unadulterated kino.

I honestly would love to see Dune rebooted tbh fam

This incarnation had the coolest Navigator

with will alone I set my mind in motion

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

I was impressed to learn that Lynch came up with that. It sounds just like something from the book.

it isn't from the book?

Not according to Wikipedia. I don't have a copy of the book handy.

Nope, it isn't.

well fuck me, it really does sound like something that herbert would have thought up while tripping

i have the book and have hardly read it, shamefur dishonor

Do want.

Did anybody else get kind of an incestuous vibe from Paul & Jessica?

I fucking love Lynch's Dune, I have a copy of the three hour extended edition on my hard drive. My only complaint is that it has the shitty narrated-slideshow intro instead of the qt3.14 Irulan intro.

I prefer the theatrical cut, it might be very hard for people who haven't read the book to get into but I l think it's superior if you know the material.

Did you watch Frank Herbert's Dune? How do you think the movie and the miniseries stack up against each other?

spice diver? i agree that i would rather have muh princess intro, but being someone who's never read the book, it does a decent job of setting shit up.

now, if only they could get those dvd tier scenes into bluray.

I don't know what a spice diver is, if its a username its not me.

the name of the edit, if it's the one i'm thinking of. his kind of does the same thing, where there's less princess and more other shit.

You're thinking of the fan edit Dune: Alternative Edition Redux by Spice driver.

Jodo pls go

Eh it was ok I guess, they went off the rails at the end but that was to be expected from a movie about a series of books