Films that made you interested in a particular part of history

Hey Holla Forums. What films have made you interested in a particular era in history.

For me it was always The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Before I watched it I always considered the American Civil War kind of a dull period to read about. It didn't help the way it was usually taught in my classes was usually glossed over before shifting to World War 1 and 2.

After I saw the Good the Bad and the Ugly though it actually made me really interested in the Civil War. I adored how the film portrayed the Civil War in such a dark and bleak way. All of the soldiers are haggard, supplies are scarce. Summary executions are shown throughout. There's a particularly notable moment where a mass of North and Confederate soldiers all attack each other on a bridge and Clint Eastwood says "I've never seen so many men wasted so badly". It really portrayed it as a needless war that was a product of a more violent time.

I also really liked how the film didn't really portray any one side as right in the conflict. Like I don't think slavery is ever mentioned. The North isn't portrayed particularly nicely and neither are the Confederates. I really liked that the film didn't choose to moralize about the conflict and preferred to just portray it. Which is something you don't often see in films about war.

But ontop of that it was all in the background of this very well woven story about greed. And at the end of it the main characters are locked in conflict over greed in a cemetery of dead soldiers. It felt like a metaphor for the entire war and I was stunned when I saw it in repeated viewings. After that I bought several books on the civil war and it remains one of my favorite periods in history to read about.

What sort of films have done that for you?

I hear ya man. I know that everyone pretty much goes batshit crazy for the 40's-50's style of film noir, but it honestly feels like no other style is exactly like it. It's just a very unique style where there's both a lack of and strong sense of morality.

Not a film, but watching The Borgias made me really curious about the Italian city-states.

Just you wait for the remake, it will have the North literally saving slaves being burnt at the stake in the Southern camp.

True kino.
MorriconeXLeone master race.

You best be joking nigger.

Star Trek TOS episode The Balance of Terror made me interested in submarines and the battle of the Atlantic in general.

It took a spaghetti to be interested in (your own?) history.

I'm not an American. My history classes talked about the American Civil War (and the Mexican civil war that happened after it) but it was very basic and didn't really talk about it that much.

I'm no amerifat, and didn't realize the civil war overlapped with the Old West. The latter didn't really exist in our history books, which went through the entirety of european history. It was mostly a thing from fiction, movies.

this gave me a huge boner for the Victorian age

He's joking for now, but just you wait until everyone involved with the original that had any noteworthy clout is dead.
Mark my words we'll see a [current year] Dollar Trilogy before anyone ITT dies.

Westerns in general make me interested in the time period and in cowboy culture. I've only seen westerns made from the 60s to now. My grandpa used to watch black and white westerns but I never get recommendations for really old westerns.

Not the guy you're responding to, but in American public schools the teachers generally gloss over our civil war by saying it was exclusively about slavery and that the south were evil nog haters that had literally no other reason to resist the north besides wanting to keep their expensive and often disobedient slaves.

Literally the only reason I know better is because I live in VA and have visited many Civil War parks and studied the general history behind the conflict.
Otherwise I can guarantee you that most Americans you ask will either have no idea that we had a civil war in the first place, or they'll think it was exclusively about slavery and not the political and economical shitstorm that was present between the north and the south at the time.
They most likely couldn't even comprehend how Britain (who at the time had already abolished slavery) seriously considered allying with the Confederacy at one point during the war until they decided to stand around and let the Union eventually fuck the south into the ground.

Why did you think attaching a Jojo image would add anything to your post?

Not him

1. that particular Jojo image deals with post-Civil War America and that part in particular also partially deals with American Indians on top of that
2. why does it matter what reaction image an user uses?

Jojo part 7 is a western, animeonlyfag.

No Civil War connection is clear in the image, so it's useless for that purpose, and it doesn't work as a standalone reaction, either.

I can use any reaction I want you unamerican.

Except it does, considering the user clearly likes westerns and used a positive reaction image as a response to the OP.

Power Girl Autism in

You can, I just wondered what you were trying to do with that one, since it didn't make any sense.

Go back to obsessing over half/co/.

Trying to deflect I see HorseJizz.
Next you're going to don your trip and pretend it wasn't you crying about reaction images that nobody else gave a fuck about.

No harm no foul. You can into the thread saging and questioning the integrity of my post, I thought you was bout to get a little bit hostile, fella. Glad to see we can be partners after all.

here.
Funny how you thought I had anything to do with Holla Forums when I didn't even mention the board.

Literally the only reason I know better is because I live in VA and have visited many Civil War parks and studied the general history behind the conflict.
Otherwise I can guarantee you that most Americans you ask will either have no idea that we had a civil war in the first place, or they'll think it was exclusively about slavery and not the political and economical shitstorm that was present between the north and the south at the time.

It's mostly because so much time has passed that people legit can't really even comprehend that the US was so completely different at the time. You had to travel everywhere by horse and the political climate at the time was vastly different. As were attitudes towards race. It's just a lot easier to assume "well slavery was part of it. It must've been the whole thing" and ignore things like Abraham Lincoln saying that freeing the slaves was just something he did to keep union together at all costs. Because it was a legit threat at the time that some other country could invade and take over.

In a civil war it's extremely rare that either side is "good" or "bad" and it's usually two really different extremes killing each other.

It's also that Americans tend to deify their early history. You can see this with the Revolutionary war especially.

~lone anime hater.

(if they didn't come from 4chan, then where did they?)

This might sound dumb, but older James Bond movies made me more interested in 50's - 70's stretch of the Cold War

At least you guys had wars to learn about.

I'm more of a "Interested in a particular part of history so find film relating to it" kinda guy

Are there any movies about Quebec's attempt to secede?

I guess my love of fantasy movies got me interested in the dark ages and the Viking age.

Oy vey goyim. you don't like your history of beaver trapping and dying for British overlords?

Asterix cartoons and Spartacus made me very interested in the Roman Empire. Other than that, Treasure Island led to my interest in golden age of piracy and then age of enlightenment as a result.

I don't know what public schools you anons went to, but mine actually talked about more than slavery when it came to Civil War, and neither side was pointed to as bad guys. Whole thing was also reexamined in the Government class. And I grew up in Chicago suburbs.