Modern TV shows/Movies that genuinely work in black&white

Like WebM for example thanks to it's setting, Plus B&W adds a benefit of hiding some of the TV show "cheapness" in visuals.

Black and white is pretentious as fuck.

Yeah I know that a lot of posers using it whenever, hence this thread is about cases when adding b&w is genuinely works.

This thread is almost guaranteed to attract the cuckposter.

In my opinion B&W isn't really necessary anymore, I just don't see how it can add to a film in any way.

It was only used in the first place because of technological limitations.

maybe for shadowy effect or to set a mood and create contrast like in film noir or even the German expressionist films?

Define "Pretentious".

The only legitimate reason I see for using it is when simulating the vision of an animal with less color receptors.

oscarbait
movies about controversial topics
the entirety of avant garde and the faggots who took andy warhol
anything thst you, specifically, like
movies that go out of their way to circumvent or reverse tropes

Young Frankenstein

noir in color is no good

B&W can be good for flashbacks, memories, dreams, that sort thing
and of course noir

trips confirm

i'd also like to add that the walking dead works in black and white, since the comics are black and white. the color in the show has never had significance, unless you want to count the two breaking bad easter eggs.

Schindler's List. Really hits home about the 6 million jews that were murdered in the holocaust. We must never forget.

By that logic colour grading is pretentious too.

Examples please.

These two don't even make sense.

bump

it is as necessary as the filmmaker in question deems it to be.
Black and white is a aesthetic useful for tone and mood for certain films if utilized correctly.
and it is still used for aesthetic reasons.

Examples please.

Isn't film noir descended from German expressionism, even though expressionism was deemed "degenerate art" by the Nazi's?

What about a Batman detective movie that derives from noir, but isn't really noir at all? Using Beethoven-eske music instead of jazz. It wouldn't be a action movie like all other Batman films. I think it could be pulled off.

I know that OP asked about TV series, but Europa used B&W and color - super effective.

See Gunsmoke - if we could have a half-way decent Western on TV again, it would def work in B&W.

Here are a bunch of noir recommendations >>>/film/3112

Expressionism came out of the Weimar era so I think you're right about the Nazis
A good chunk noir directors were German immigrants, so they drew on the style of their old country

crap, I meant to respond to this post

I would love a Batman movie that focuses on detective work and the atmosphere of Gotham.

But what is the atmosphere of Gotham?

The Twilight Zone worked well because it was in black and white. It's difficult to convey a sense of strangeness or horror when the sky is bright blue and the sun is shining golden in the sky. Not impossible, but a lot more work.

Color in general raises the price of production. B&W can be used to great effect, for a lot less money. But you have to know what you're doing. I'm afraid
is kind of right: lots of pretentious hipsters/posers user black and white to signal their supposed sophistication. But they have no idea how to make a movie in black and white, and so end up failing miserably.

The age of black and white has passed.

All hail the age of TEAL and ORANGE.

Dark shadows, art deco, nights of rain-slicked streets glittering in the lamplight.

I believe this was shot with the intention of it being in black-and-white, but the theatrical release was in color due to retarded audiences.

dfh

Right, dogs have dichromatic vision. But there are animals (especially nocturnal) that have only one or no color receptors at all.

Exactly.

bump

Is this thread dead already?

Holla Forums IS COMPRIMISED MODS ARE CHRISTCUCKS

MODS ARE EDITING POSTS TO HIDE THE TRUTH

ABANDON Holla Forums BEFORE YOU ARE COMPROMISED

Holla Forums IS COMPRIMISED MODS ARE CHRISTCUCKS

ANIME IS NOT ALLOWED ON Holla Forums

ANIME SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ON /TV

MODS ARE EDITING POSTS TO HIDE THE TRUTH

ANIME IS NOT ALLOWED ON Holla Forums

ANIME SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ON /TV