The Thing

So I finally got around to watching this masterpiece, and its easily one of my top 5 favorite movies now. I wish I had seen it earlier.
That being said, are their any other good movies like this that you would recommend?

Lets discuss The Thing and related movies

This was the first of a trilogy that John Carpenter had done. It was called the Apocalypse trilogy I believe and it was heavily influenced by Lovecraft's work. Here's the 2nd film in that trilogy.

Whats the third one? Have you seen it?

The 3rd one is in the mouth of madness. It's considered to be the weakest of the trilogy but its overall a pretty good film. The Lovecraft influences are much stronger in this film than any other in the trilogy.

I feel it's unfair to say The Thing is Lovecraftian, maybe even sacrilege.

The Great Old Ones are spirituality pure - the bones of the Earth;
The Thing is so vile it sickens me to the core.

Well the story the thing is based off of did draw some of its influence from the Mountains of Madness.

Daily reminder that this movie bombed when it came out and the (((critics))) buried it because it wasn't muh E.T.

Yes, they hated now its considered a classic.

The influence is pretty minimal, to be honest. At the Mountain of Madness is barely a horror story.

haev you read it? its literally horror in the victorian, edward allen poe sense before horror went to stephen king shit level

there's a part in at the mountains of madness where lovecraft describes geometry not working correctly, the angles of a triangle that don't add up to 180 degrees… it still gives me chills to this day

I just reread it yesterday. Its core is the scientific expedition and the extinct alien civilization, not the spooky aliens killing people in gory ways. It's a hallmark of science fiction.

John Carpenter's Halloween movies are great. He directed the first and produced the second and third. I enjoy the other sequels like 4, 5, 6 (The producers cut) and H20 but they're no where near on the same levels as the first 3.

I know people hate the third one but I like it.

The reason that got such a bad reputation was because most people thought it was supposed to continue the story of Michael Myers when it really was supposed to be a new starting point for the franchise as an anthology series of films. If it had been successful, each sequel that followed it would have had a completely different story centered around Halloween.

Would've been interesting to see what stuff he would come up with.

THE FLY MOTHERFUCKER. THE TWO BEST REMAKES EVER MADE.

It sure would, but it's too late for that now. It probably would have been more successful if they hadn't put the Halloween III name on it.

My cousin hated the movie until I got him to watch it with me. I told him "Just pretend that it's not part of the Halloween franchise and judge it on it's own merits. It's not a continuation of the Michael Myers story. It's something different." He now likes it.

That is a good one.

rly? i always thought the weakest was PoD

The Thing is a story about paranoia and how much you trust your social circle. The Fly is about watching a loved one with an aggressive, degenerative illness and you feel like shit for being repulsed but you still care about them even if they look monstrous.

Both are absolutely genius works of cinema and remakes literally only got worse from there, constantly and without breaking step these two were the apex.

In [CURRENT YEAR] the SJW's are trying to "queerify lovecraft and remove the hate, its ours now" and the hebrews in hollywood cannot allow the real stories to see the light anymore.

Eh, the critics and SF Debris consider Mouth of Madness to be the weakest but I still like Mouth of Madness. PoD had this genuinely creepy feel to it especially the video messages being sent from the future. They looked so real and creepy that it scared me.

This can't be real user. Say it isn't so.

By claiming this they show how they miss the point. Distrust and hate are integral parts of the stories. In At the Mountains of Madness, there wouldn't be a final revelation that these foul radial plant things from outer space are people too and the following respect if they weren't "hated" first.

But they only care about the popularly known aesthetics and memes, not the stories itself.

Harbinger Down is basically The Thing onnae boat

It was made by the practical effects guys who worked on the prequel/remake of The Thing and got royally pissed off when all their work was covered up with bad CG before release

I watched both of these for the first time back to back a couple weeks ago and I loved them. I'm a sucker for good practical effects, and these were just 10/10.

Lovecraft was more afriad of blacks than he wanted to string up the daggurn darkies, wasn't he?

Afraid? More like pitied them. What he hated was rootless mongrels, like those damn Italian and Polish immigrants.

HOW DARE SOMEONE WHO DIED IN THE 30s NOT HAVE CURRENT YEAR OPINIONS?!

This. Lovecraft was actually surprisingly perfectly fine with immigrants who preserved their own cultures, rather than attempting to assimilate into the Anglo-Saxon cultures. He thought it diluted cultures that are fine on their own merits.

H. P. wasnt a big fan of the melting pot concept, but I wonder what would he think about modern Muslim migrants.

He didn't have a problem with Middle-easterners, but emigrating for gibs wasn't a thing back then. Safe to say he wouldn't have been a fan of uncontrolled immigration at replacement levels.

It helps that back in his era the Middle East was progressing socially and technologically, setting aside Islamic tradition.

Unlike the modern Middle East that just regresses further and further into Wahhabi delusions.

Now watch these

Definitely Rob's best analysis.

I never noticed that the keys were dropped by Bennings

True. Back then it looked like all these savages might become civilized eventually.

But didn't the Wahabbi's come into power in Saudi Arabia as a result of WW1 though?

They did, but Saudi Arabia was dirt-poor until after WW2. Wahhabism was limited there until then.

After they discovered the huge oil deposits in Saudi Arabia, they became insanely rich and used it to spread Wahhabism, by sponsoring the construction of mosques and islamic centers all over the Middle East and the rest of the world, and putting Wahhabi preachers in charge. Western nations didn't catch on until half a century later, when they began to attempt to stop Saudi-sponsored mosques from being built.

The western perception of Middle-east was coloured by romanticism, orientalism and stories like Lawrence's adventures. Most westerners propably weren't really aware of the specifics of Islamic theology. What mattered was that Islamic world stopped being the scary blob that had threatened Europe centuries ago.

It reminded me a lot of Virus.

WAS CHILDS INFECTED?

Yes. For the 50th fucking time, look at him drinking out of the bottle and look at Mccready's reaction. There's even a music cue. He's drinking kerosene from a molotov cocktail, he's the thing.

but how long was he the thing?
It had to have been after the blood test

When Childs was left alone as the rest went to go test Blair.

This is so fucking genius, goddamn Carpenter, I don't know if he really think this though.

The spook looks too suspicious too.

Reddit's favorite movie hack.

Also the fact that Childs doesn't produce any mist from his mouth when he talks and breathes.

Fuck nevermind, i'm retarded

What's the first one?

But carpenter himself said that "te thing:the game" was official so we know macready is still alive and child died of hypothermia
Therefor we can understand that the music was only to create suspense and there was whiskey in the bottle

this… this can't be real

I don't enjoy crushing your soul like this user but you have to face the truth.

High qualifications right there.

Lovecraft is all about crushing souls, it's perfectly fitting that his shitty work gets raped by feminist cunts.

((THEY)) don't like him very much. But are perfectly fine stealing his work.

what are you talking about?

Criminal

The Thing

Lovecraft.

Very problematic…

Myself as well. It's too bad almost nobody likes it, because it's a fairly decent little horror flick.

You mean Windows, right? He drops it right after he sees Bennings being assimilated, you can hear the clank of metal.

I think it's more about the casual racism than things relevant to the plots. I never got the impression that there was anything really hateful about it, he just happened to think that blacks were an inferior race and it came up sometimes.

He had a cat named "Nigger-Man", and he put it in one of his stories (The Rats in the Walls). He really liked cats.

ah, yes

Watched this on your recommendation. It was definitely a movie made by a effects studio, because everything aside from the good practical effects was pretty bad.

Seems about right.

This is almost as bad as the idiot who thought the award statue of HP Lovecraft should be replaced with an award statue of Octavia Butler

Inherent suspicion to things different is integral part of the stories, such as Shadow over Innsmouth. Of course niggers rarely are in the spotlight in his stories, they were barely above animals.

Also weren't his stories supposed to be in cannon with the Conan stories? I know he was a friend to the guy who made the Conan stories.

If there was a canon for Lovecraft's stories, then Conan might as well be part of it. Both Lovecraft and Howard made references to each other's works, and references are what the "canon" is.

Huh interesting. Good to know user.