Master and Commander

Why is this movie so perfect Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_France
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because feminists didn't get their claws into it. Despite being somewhat modern it's largely got the 'spirit' of 60s and 70s war films.

It captures the spirit of the saxon man better than any other film

maybe… because it isn't, and the movie is shit?
I haven't seen it, but here are just a few reviews from rt:

-Ella Taylor
L.A. Weekly

-Phil Hall
Film Threat

-Stephen Hunter
Washington Post

-Frank Ochieng
Movie Eye

-Andrew Sarris
New York Observer

-Arizona Republic

-Vanessa Sibbald
Zap2it.com

And those are just a small handful of the many negative reviews by well respected professional critics. To anyone reading this thread: don't see this movie. The reviews are bad, the movie is dull, boring, and gay.

First of all who cares what critics think secondly half of those reviews admit to not watching the movie. Why do i care that a bunch of people were too busy playing on their phones to pay attention to a great movie.
T. Person on their phone while watching a movie

>She earned a B.A. in Sociology from the London School of Economics, an M.A. Sociology of Mass Communications at Leicester University (UK), and a Ph.D. in Sociology from Brandeis University.

If someone who studied sociology is what you consider respectable in any sense of the word you're a fucking faggot.

What's sad is that she spent years at prestigious universities, ostensibly studying the roots and mechanisms of social behavior up to an expert level — and then writes things like, "The seafaring adventure Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World has few 30-foot waves going for it, and very little else that would excite anyone but geeky 12-year-old boys who like to make sailing ships out of matchsticks."

That's the level of thought and writing that comes from all her education.

Because of many reasons.

First being its just got good writing, direction, cast, acting, shots etc. Everyone is at least good in this film if not great.

Secondly, an all-male film of men being men during a time in history. You tick the box of adventure in our hearts as well as the historical piece. No romance plot, no sassy feminist insert to bring the film down.

It isn't perfect. You're just a "le born in the wrong generation" romantic.

One reason is that there are no women in it. I don't mean it in a gay way, just that there's no pointless romantic distraction, no fucking grrl-powah scenes, just male camaraderie. It's also an interesting look at leadership styles and the importance of discipline.

The greatest part is that it feels very much of that time. There are no stupid "war is, like, bad man" scene thrown in for modern audience's benefit, no black guy for diversity, no shoehorned "look how racist they are!" content.

I think another great part of the movie is that they don't touch too heavily on politics. There's not much talk about rights or wrongs of the French Revolution, the nature of monarchy etc.. It's just two groups of soldiers doing what soldiers do, and showing respect to each other.

Cause it's full of Big Guys in charge.

Only non-whites is the token slave for the cook and the natives.

I think this is the secret to making good movies, and other forms of entertainment.

Lads, I haven't seen this yet but have always wanted to, and will probably watch it later.

My question is this: I know it's based on two books, should I read them or just watch the movie?

I've only ever seen the movie.

What did he mean by this?

Just watch the movie. It completely stands on its own.

There are actually a lot of books in the series, but it would be like reading Ian Fleming's Bond books before watching Goldfinger.

Because the people who made the movie really cared about the characters, the story, the visuals and the music.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERERERERERERERERE

Is it boring or is it mindless action for children? Make up your minds.

Are they seriously using "homosexual" as an insult? omfg smh ice.

What were you paying to see when you posted? Were the crab legs queen or just snow?

Women just can't understand a friendship where one person isn't constantly trying to stab the other in the back, can they?

Meant as a reply to

As long as they at least attempt to have somewhat of a basis in reality when they depict non-whites in period pieces, I don't care how many there are. That's a lot to ask for, though.

10/10 post right here.

You can just watch the movie. Although the books are pretty damned good and autistic in detail

Is it surprising at all that the character Paul "just black my wife up" Bettany plays is a cuckold?

Nah. There are 20 something books in the series and the film combines about three of them into one.

However, you may get a bit of a love for the characters so may want to read the books after.

The entire soundtrack is so perfect for the film. It's not your traditional Hanz Zimmer action movie fare. Instead it's subdued and simple, yet manages to do so without being boring or repetitive. The strong drums beating in the background, the the tension in the strings, and the way it flows in and out like ocean waves – then near the end a brilliant flash from foggy gloom into bright sunlight with a lilting fiddle tune. I could listen to the first track over and over.

Has anyone else seen the deleted secenes? It's a shame they never made a full version of the film with them all added back in. Most are little one minute things but they help flesh out the crew in particular.

Stopped reading there.

well its actually sailors but yes this post sums it up

I listened to the book series as audiobooks and loved it

Fuck off, Anglokike.

He means Drumpf.

Underrated post.

I know you're b8 but its more how both sides respecting each other instead of the usual Hollywood ebil guy.

also Sailors > Marines >>>>>> Soldiers

Hit the nail on the head. It was a shame this movie lost out to Lord of the Rings.

Underrated post

So it's autistic? Or is it War and Peace for plebs?

fuck you faggot

What are some other films that do a good job of this, user?

Pretty much any Holocaust movie.

Serious answers only please. WW1 and below, preferable. I've gone off modern war and WW2.

Jews have been the spirit, soul and mind of Britain for far longer than since WW2.

If you don't have what I'm asking for you can take your shitposts and stick back in that memeing cunt mouth of yours.

is this cool or cringe

What on earth is cringey about it? And how retarded are you that you need to be told?

It's basically larping for old people. They aren't sailors from the 1700s. Not even modern sailors do that shit.

Does someone need to open and close your mouth for you so you can breath properly? Because you are scarily retarded.

You could have made the argument that it's more like a civil war reenactment instead of fantasy larping. I guess the singers are just singing but that guy in the middle leading them is clearly larping as a ship captain. It's kind of embarrassing to watch.

He's the lead in the song. Songs with many vocals tend to have a lead. This is not secret structure of vocal arrangements, and it's common knowledge. The only thing embarrassing here is you and what weird retarded view of people singing you seem to have.

If you want some facts, he's at a festival and he's singing a song with his fans, but I don't think it matters one way or the other. You are clinically special needs and reading your comments is awkward and cringey.

Zulu m8

good tune fam.

This.
This soundtrack and the one from the tv show Black Sails (Bear McCreary) are really the best in the genre, especially compared to the generic stuff that comes out of Zimmer's factory.

Greenland?

Because it shows how anglos have to be cheaters bastards to win over based superior France.

Gallipoli '81

murican hurr
name one way the french have made the world a better place

You guys couldn't even win in a straight up fight.

I was not talking about America, retard, but evil brits. We helped you win your independance from them, remember this or maybe you never knew ?

Enjoying your shariah law and your dear police who will soon be able to wear burka, imperialist Shaun ?

At least we don't have our police wearing burkas yet !

You're exactly like the HIV patient that goes "At least I don't have corns on my feet."

Btw we fought against beach burkas, while fucking anglos and ameritards bitched about us being such bigots.

examples?

What's wrong with sociology?
other than what: wrote?

why did you post a picture of regular British citizens?

What if there was a show with interplanetary space war having each character be a particular political ideology given human forum?

Sounds like a plot for a shallow anime.

Eveb with 3 dimensional characters?

Anything from Zulu to The Great Escape, A Bridge too Far or The Guns of Navarone. I probably should have included the 50s in that too. The exactly feeling is hard to describe but it's got to be a film where you can have soldiers singing without it becoming cheesy.

pick one

I wish they would make sequel.

I was a sociology major in undergrad and I can tell you that the discipline is FUCKED.

Sociology used to have cool bad ass dudes joining motorcycle gangs and shit, but now everything has to be done with the 'awareness' of the observees - which is good from a privacy and legal aspect, but fucks things up when you want to observe people acting naturally.

There was a big schism in the '80's with the advent of postmodernism, which basically said, "All the metanarratives are dead, and were entering into a phase where simulated reality and the 'real' is indistinguishable, and in fact, it doesn't even matter if they are."

Lotta old school Marxists and Structuralists did not like this, as their entire methodological theory is based on metanarratives (history of humanity is a history of class struggles etc.).

So now the entire disciple is a schizophrenic grab bag with everybody being too PC and 'civilized' and being hesitant to embrace a widespread authoritative change to the discipline.

Meanwhile, sociological studies are being funded by unscrupulous fucks, both corporate and governmental, that use wack-ass stats to justify bullshit.

I was the only person in my class to do a 'pure theory' based thesis - everybody else conducted half-assed surveys and then applied the historical theory that fit their data the best. It was fucking wack.

There are some cool cats in the sociological field, but their far and few between, and usually have their heads up their own ass in ivory towers doing dense philosophical treatises that no-one outside of the disciple could ever hope to understand.

TL;DR - Sociology used to be cool, now it's a fucking joke.

How can you have a character that literally represents a political ideology and then wright a story about him that doesn't make him a shallow character even though you know what he's going to do because he's supposed to be an ideology.. You just can't do it.

Clearly someone hasn't heard of the French Revolutionary Wars.

It's just a shame that the one victory the had is the one that put the kikes into power.

In what way was M&C boring

ive come to slowly realize that this is ultimately what the "establishment" in all of its facets has been pushing since ive been alive, on pretty much all fronts and often in very subtle ways.

it fucking disgusts me, and anyone that hasnt been completely fucked in the head can clearly see the cui bono of such a "philosophy"

if nothing matters, the fucking bankers and their ilk win. if nothing matters, they can do whatever the fuck they want to us , and always go back around and justify it with their pseudophilosophical shite.

the answer to this kind of "philosophy" should be twofold methinks:

If you have the intellectual clout you should debunk it, and I congratulate anyone who does such a thing. If you do not however probably the best tactic on a person to person basis is random acts of violence

oh, everything is a simulation and humans are just electrons firing? how about I punt u in the gabber cunt lets see if my boot in your face = best of all possible worlds

obviously this is just my internet impotence speaking but on some level im right

What?

hue france is right especially about the fucking brits, fucking burgers can barely into their own history nevermind anyone elses.

Greetings my french neighbor from t. Kraut, we need to all get along here in europe and present a unified front against the anglo menace. Put old shit behind us, often it was the anglos playing us against each other anyways

even better idea we should all start conspiring with russia, thatll have em shitting their pants in no time;)

I thought you guys were scared shitless of Russia. Or at least your leaders are.

france has an extremely militaristic history for better or for worse you retard, you could easily argue that they are more militaristic than the germans at least in terms of fighting with others and empire building.

just look at this list

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_France

Ferdinand Celine

you might not know this but the best of /pol is actually the vulgarized manifestation of a dead french writer and god-tier troll.

right down to calling everyone cucks, /pol is literally Celine without knowing it, albeit in a much more diffuse and autistic/retarded way

only the deeply indoctrinated and the transatlantic spokesholes here are scared of russia, russia poses no threat to us and we do a whole lot of business with them.

Smart people throughout the aisle realize this and they know the west wants to play us against each other, this is becoming more and more apparent.

of course even being anti-anti russia here will have the western presstitutes labeling you a putin apologist, but regardless industry, big business and the more legitimate elements of both the right and the left are pretty solidy pro russian relations, they just avoid speaking up about it.

Mainly business elements have been the ones leaning on Merkel to not support all this ukraine bullshit, they knew that sanctions would affect us as well and sure enough they were right, thankfully they kept us out of any lethal aid shit although there is probably something going on through the backdoor.

Merkel is spineless, she will go the route that keeps her in power, whether that is listening to the nato parakeet on her shoulder or to actual germans.

Landesverräter reeee

this brand of baiting should be illegal, its extremely rustling even when I know what you are doing

Du Froschfotze wie kannst du ein Nationalist sein wenn du am NATO Pimmel saugst? DE ist kein souveränes Land momentan, du solltest ein bisschen strategischer denken bevor du dein Maul aufmachst

Alles was ich sage, sage ich als Deutscher. Wo kommst du überhaupt her Kracher, hast du gedient? Waffengattung, aber hackengas!

more like against the (((anglo))) menace

shhh do you want to get arrested for thoughtcrime? i gotta tread lightly here bruh

i do not know what those parenthesis mean

If you've been a soldier, soldiers singing makes you tear up a bit.

Can't say I've got personal experience of that user but nowadays it's hard to imagine a AAA film doing such a scene sincerely. Much more common to mock it as 'toxic masculinity/nationalism' or something similar.

Sorry I meant people who believe in each political ideology.

The "anglo's" and their Golems Aka Mudslimes, niggers and other subhumans need to purged if mankind is to truly reach its potential.

The first thing he did in office was emancipate the Jews, which is what led to the world being the way it is today.

I can now die in rage.

bump