So I just finished watching the first two hellraiser movies and I wanna know if its worth watching anymore...

So I just finished watching the first two hellraiser movies and I wanna know if its worth watching anymore. At some point they clearly become cash cows but are there any good ones after Hellbound?

No, they are shit after the 2nd one. They have nothing to do with the original plot, and the studio actually took plots from other movies and shoe-horned pinhead into it so they could keep the trademark status. I can't remember but there was one sequel which literally had pinhead in it for 3 minutes and the rest was an unrelated (shit) movie.

Thanks. That's a shame since I really liked the direction 2 took. 1 had more of a hard horror vibe while 2 felt much more surreal which I liked.

Any movies similar to Hellbound that you can think of?

there were like 3 of them like that

hell, in one of them the puzzle box and pinhead were just an urban legend and the whole movie was a fucking dream

If you really need to get your fix and are in the mood for a slasher type flick, Hell on Earth is okay.

If you want something different, then try Inferno.

Hellraiser 3 does feature Terry Farrell in bondage.

Why wouldn't he use "I'm" or just "I" instead? Was he really that worried about grammar? If so why not a "please" at the end or a question mark?

Nope dude, if you want more hellraiser you better read the novella that is the Scarlet Gospel, I've not read allot of it but it has disturbing imagery. Clive Barker kinda said fuck the movie business of the failure that was nightbreed and Lord of Illusions after, I kinda like those movies but nightbreed was supposed to be a trilogy or something. But it failed super hard, plus allot of pre production and cutting made the movie kinda meh, but the full version is out now.

So OP watch Lord of Illusions and Nightbreed, these are kinda like Hellraiser they have the Clive Barker Flavor of galactic horror and fantasy. If you like that flavor.

Clive Barker don't make much sense of the galactic horror in this aspect. But the reasoning in the Hellraiser world would be, he is there for eternity so he can go for the more grammatical way since he is not going anywhere.

But in the movie, this is really Frank not the dad, and the dad is being tortured in another place/hell. Because in the first film he became a victim after the "demons" came, and the demons took almost all the souls that died, except that bitch because she made a deal she for the escaped Uncle Frank where she would lead the demons to Frank,so they need proof. So they need to hear it from Franks Lips before taking him back to Hell.
If she does not give proof they will take her to hell.

So nr2 is more or less, a doctor being interested in Hell artifacts and scripture, and you find out that the demons where humans one time. Then they where tortured onto what they are now.
But if one go longer into the lore, you get to know that the demon's lose time and self after they've been transformed.

No, save yourself from watching anymore

just watch event horizon instead

The doctor's in!

Jeeeeeeesuuuuuus…. wept…. he-he-he

Its a sub-genre. Some say pure horror, I personally think its became a galactic horror when they are dimensional creatures the Cenobites, I mean. So they can only come to our space time with a schism that is the puzzle box.

They are a sort of weird-breed, since they are an order in one of the hell dimensions kinda like monks a weird scientists breed where they try to find the pleasures of man with torture, in Weaveworld they are called the "Surgeons".
There is an actual lore with this hell dimension.

Didn't the Cenobites all get killed in hr2? I remember them reverting back to their human forms.

Clive Barker's kind of boring. I admire his ambitiousness, he tried to get into everything. Video game, comic books, film obviously. To his credit, I've heard Undying is pretty good, and I own the other one, though I've forgotten the name of it about a squad of super powered paranormal investigators. I will say from the brief time I played it my first thought was "this isn't scary at all, you always have at least two other super powered tanks with you." but then panicked a bit about the jump scares when it made me go through an area alone, and swung the character's katana around frantically.

The key word with Clive is transformation. Something becomes something else, usually something grotesque. The Harrowers is about a group of people getting powers from the goddess of transformation to fight the cenobites, the cenobites themselves are transformed into extreme BDSM abominations, I can't remember the names of the books, but at one point he had an entire line of comics with Marvel called Razorline, and of the two I read one was about a group who get into alien tubes to transform into other things, and the other was about a magician with "the power of transformation".

I don't know, it feels so limited. Every big horror author is like this, though. Just telling variations of the same story over and over.

Lovecraft: Fish stuff, man's insignificance, finding out a horrible secret or the truth of the universe and going insane, discovering a horrible secret about your lineage, classism, niggers being inferior, etc.

Stephen King: Maine, coming of age in the 1950's and 60's, children and retarded people with psychic powers, haunted houses, self-insert writer character, etc.

OP here, thanks for the suggestions. Guess this should just be a general horror thread. Was pic related any good? That greasy fat spic is really hit or miss for me.

Yeah but at the end of 2 you can see pinhead stuck in the wooden block that raises up from Julias mattress. I just assume that cenobites can't be killed and just end up having to go through their painful transformation process everytime they "die".

The squad game was Jericho and it pissed me off because it was such wasted potential. The idea of an evil spirit realm opening up with centuries of victims trapped inside it was really cool. But all the supernatural squad shit was dumb. Playing as just a regular special response unit would have better and made it much more terrifying.

I've read Cabal, Abarat and Weaveworld and the only one I remember fondly is Weaveworld and even then, I struggled to finish that book around the halfway mark.

I think ol' clivey boy always starts strong but his work tends to fizzle out near the end

Lovecrafts short stories outshine his larger more popular works imo. 'The Outsider' is probably my favourite lovecraft story

Lovecraft was a genius,dude. And his shorts and stories in general still holds up. Clive Barker on the other hand does and does not hold up very well.

I read half-way with Abarat and now The Scarlet Gospels. They get somewhat boring towards the middle.
The fantastical world of Hell in The Scarlet Gospels is fantastical and imaginative but they kinda feel meh at the same time.

A bookstore I frequent is getting the ultimate lovecraft collection soon, that includes all of his work. 900+ pages ma nigga

Barker is fucking terrible at pacing, and paces things the opposite of what they should be almost every time. It's really aggravating, because the concepts are great.

It's not a good or bad movie, but it looks really pretty. It's a really standard ghost story with nothing new added.

It's weird, I watch a lot of horror and can't think of a single thing to recommend.

Not really a horror film. I really liked it, but go in expecting classic gothic. It's more like Wuthering Heights than it is a horror film. Think about Pan's Labyrinth. The supernatural horror elements exist as a way to augment or emphasise the human drama.

If we're doing a general horror thread, did anyone else see Don't Breathe? I thought it was a really well shot and clever horror film. Only problem with it was that the tension dropped off closer to the end.

This too. Crimson Peaks is pretty as fuck.

You have to give Del Wetback credit, he knows how to make the screen look amazing, which is nearly a lost art at this point.

I'm waiting for the bluray rips to start appearing. I don't go to the cinema anymore.

There seems to be a decent amount of small horror movies with fun twists in them. I'm reminded of You're Next when I think of Don't Breathe

del Toro's another one with a stock set of stuff he does in everything, though I honestly didn't realize it until it was pointed out in the commentary track for Hellboy. He likes autopsy scenes, his stories are always extremely straight-forward, he likes anything with gears spinning, and he likes reinventing the vampire myth (he's done so three separate times.) Watch Blade 2 and Hellboy 2 back to back some time, they're basically the same movie, same actor plays the villain in both as well.

I didn't like Crimson Peak because it was *too* straight-forward, there are no real twists. Everything is exactly as it seems. It wasn't at all scary, either. They even diffuse any effect the ghosts could have by establishing at the beginning that the ghosts are largely meant to be metaphor.

get it, its worth the money. He is probably one of the best if not the best. There will be a short you would like from him.
Plus they are really easy to read, I've never found any complications from him compared to Clive Barker or Stephen King.

Some of the reason I find Clive Barker hard to read, on some things in his horror/fantasy it either becomes overwhelming or a little bit boring because its a build up. Plus a character can go from being mundane in a way to become the most evil thing. Like pinhead in hellbounds heart or The Scarlet Gospels at first pinhead seemed more of a non-moral character later to become a sinister/evil character.
When the lore was was molded more.

Yeah I got the impression that the cenobites didn't really have any moral standing in one way or another. It seemed like what they did was just business in a way, people open the box and the cenobites come.

the other cenobites are more business as usual except for pinhead(probably because he is the popular one) became an evil character instead of a non-moral character so he is the priest of hell in The Scarlet Gospels, even tough in the first book it was not "hell" but a dimension that seemed like hell because there was so much torment and torture.

I blame the molding of the lore later on or when it became popular where contradictions seems to happen with the lore. If you just follow the basic shit you learn in the Hellbounds Heart or the first 2 movies. Where they are not angels or demons just some creatures that studies human suffering.

But the comics became popular and new comics came later, this molded the lore and franchise into something claustrophobic.
It really unique horror but the problem is when the lore starts to contradict.

I call this the GRRM problem where they make something random, it becomes popular, people enjoy it. The write only wants to make money and tell a story, but he is in a clusterfuck because he has to figure out lore that is not contradictory to what he did write. All the while he starts to make minor contradictions.

This happen to Hellraiser, there is allot there but there is also allot of contradictions also. So the lore starts to get confusing.

One of the later ones with Craig Sheffer is surprisingly good actually. I think it was made for DVD or something but it's got a nice mystery story.

Nightbreed is like Return of the Jedi but with monsters instead of Ewoks. Pretty god damned cheesy.

3 & 4 are okay but not nearly as good as the first 2. Don't bother with the rest though.

Confirmed for not reading Lovecraft

What are you talking about? I've read practically every story he's written. My favorite is the Colour Out of Space.

I'd like to see The Damnation Game made into a movie.

Admittedly, i haven't seen the second, but i saw a few minutes of what i think was the third one where you see pinhead as some british soldier in the trenches of ww1, and it was cheesy as fuck.

I love all the Hellraiser movies, even Hellworld. I hope Clive writes a big screen adaptation for The Scarlet Gospels.

The second one is great for about two-thirds of its running time. It gets shitty toward the end.

So when is the new film coming out?