Godzilla

Now that the dust has settled, which was better?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt4680182/?ref_=nv_sr_1
asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201608200015.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Godzilla.

I'd hate to say this but i like the 1998 better.

The 2014 one is just too long, the only interesting human character died too early.

The 2014 one was such a fucking tease.

The 2014 one, all around.

2014. Even though it sucks, its still better than 1998.

2014, despite all the cock teasing it actually had Godzilla in it while the 1998 movie was more like the beast from 20,000 fathoms. Seriously I am one of the few Godzilla fans that liked the 1998 movie as a monster movie on its own I just don't think they should have called it Godzilla. They should have called it the Iguana monster from French Polynesia.

Yeah, that would have been okay. I think the "godzilla" name was unfortunate too. Name it anything else and it is a watchable monster movie.

I liked the 2014 Godzilla movie. I liked the tease of the beast and then the big fight. Cutting out the humans a bit more after Cranston died would have helped it a bit more.

So, just like the 1954 one?

Not exactly. The 1954 one had a more somber and serious tone but the 1998 one was more of a fun summer monster movie.

2014. The 1998 one doesn't even qualify as a Godzilla movie. it's total trash, zero redeeming qualities. Only contrarian assholes say they like the 1998 one.

And it works better as a fun summer monster movie. There's a limit to how "somber and serious" you can take something like this.

I disagree. The 1954 does this somber well with a giant monster because of the good acting and writing. Besides science fiction has been used to provide social commentary through allegory. Look at the Twilight Zone, some of those episodes did interesting social commentary with weird aliens and cheap 1950's props.

The science was laughable and the ending was preachy as fuck.

well its a science fiction movie so obviously its not 100% accurate. But for the preachiness when you consider the time it was made in it makes sense.

Protip block all IDs that said the 2014 is better, they are all kids

The 98 movie came off as the "next big blockbuster" and, yes, calling it Godzilla was a problem.

While I agree that a lot of the 2014 movie was not very good, it DID have Godzilla in it, complete with atomic breath.

I love how Toho always finds some way to top themselves when it comes to Godzilla's atomic breath

How was godzilla 2000?

98 will forever be a joke due to the tagline being a penis joke.

Pretty good Godzilla movie, then again I might be a bit biased because I watched it in theatres when I was five and it holds a special place in my heart because Godzilla movies weren't really shown in theatres after Godzilla 2000. The only way you could watch the movies that came after was to get them on DVD. Also Godzilla 2000 actually made the human characters likable and interesting.

There's a first time for everything. Do you know when it will be released in the US? I looked on streaming sites and I haven't found it yet.

I completely forgot about that tagline. I still have the cup from Taco Bell they sold for this movie.

So who is looking forward for the Godzilla anime movie next year?

there's a Godzilla anime? Fuck yes I've been waiting for more animated Godzilla stuff. What's the premise of the anime?

It is an anime movie, not an anime series. No premise yet, but from the teaser pic in the post it is suggesting something of a scifi theme. Perhaps bringing back Monster Island.

Interesting I'll be looking forward to it.

The website is already up if you want to check it out. godzilla-anime.com

thanks user.

Also, just to keep your eyes peeled. Another American kaiju movie has been announced and has already been in production. It is called, Colossal.

imdb.com/title/tt4680182/?ref_=nv_sr_1

/thread

Toho diagrees with you.

is this really a monster movie? Maybe the chick has telekenetic powers but I don't see how this is related to Kaiju unless she grows big or something.

The summary on IMDB is vague, but it is confirmed to be a kaiju movie from other sources. A more detailed summary is that Anne Hathaway's character has lost her job and her home and when she moves back in with her parents she sees a monster attacking South Korea and she believes that she has a connection to this monster.

Technically, 98 was a better movie with significantly better production value, better acting, and better script. It wasn't a good movie for 90's standard, but hell, standard has gone REAL downhill these days. 2014 Godzilla has capeshit tier high budget but half assed CGI with shitty shading while the visual effects in 98 Godzilla still looks marvelous. The 2014 film looks grey and muddy while the 98 film looks very sharp.

I mean, just look at this shit. This nigger looks really out of place. What the fuck were they thinking?

No matter how "not godzilla" it is, 98 version is objectively the better movie.

Fixed that for you.

It will have emasculated MC traveling around the world looking for kaijus with his tsundere girlfriend then eventually died because Godzilla stepped on her. Rest of the film will be melodramatic flashback of his gf, completely ignoring the title of the film.

interesting thanks for letting me know.

That sounds awful. Funnily enough I had my own ideas for a Godzilla cartoon series that I posted on Holla Forums. I'd have 2 main characters this soldier guy and the psychic chick and they encounter kaiju and try to contain them. They encounter Godzilla and have to deal with all this kaiju shit. Also terrorists and aliens would be involved as well and it would be more of an action series.

So it's Dredd vs Godzilla, I like it.

not exactly what I had planned but thanks anyway.

It's not just Anno. The movie is being universally praised in Japan. I even heard some Japanese saying they want Legendary to stick to goofy hero Godzilla while they do the more serious stuff.

You that over-the-top shitposting kind of invalidates your petty attempt at trolling, do you?

You know that*

As well the visuals in the newest one are also really good, and were made on a budget of only 10 million

Mathew Broderick is a shitty actor

2014's biggest flaw was having its slow build-up being driven by an unappealing lead actor like kick-ass, while axing Cranston far too early and having Watanabe sitting on the sidelines giving vague expository dialogue. This made the lack of Godzilla action far less tolerable then it could have been.

Beyond that, 2014 is an objectively better movie over 1998 in every respect. It isn't even close.

All the 2014 version needed was an uninterrupted Godzilla/MUTO final battle and some more Watanabe/Cranston. I don't mind Johnson's character, he is meant to be a stoic robot as he is a marine who has suffered some grief in his life, but that is not main character material in a film about giant monsters and doomsday scenarios.

I love this part of the movie.
Having Godzilla just rise over the hill they are scaling like that.
That's about as cool of a shot you can get with a giant monster movie.

yeah the first time you see him its terrifying since they've been building up to him.

2/10 I responded.

It's true though. Look at this blurry mess. It looks all grey and dull. 98 Godzilla looks sharper in comparison. They need a camera with higher color contrast.

For you

I think it's funny the very first shot of Godzilla ever was the hand puppet

In fact many of the best shots in the whole movie was that puppet

At least ferris bueller knows he's a shit actor.

you have quite the autism if you think this is a real argument.

What I love about that design is the beady eyes. That's something other Godzilla designs never had.

I'm not generally big on Godzilla, but I was happy and a little surprised they included that.

As a side note, someone I know who claims to have been a "big fan" had never even seen the atomic breath before and said it was stupid. It really makes you think.

not generally big on Godzilla knowledge, I meant.

how can they claim to be a godzilla fan and not know the atomic breath? Thats his most iconic attack.

asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201608200015.html

The depressed meme director of all people sums up what I've said for years. ShodaiGoji's baleful eyes of a mad beast gazing down on the world is something none of the other suits either attempted or succeeded at.

So where are the torrents for Shin Godzilla?

Maybe it's because Godzilla realized that if he was always looking down then nothing good comes to him while looking up or forward will help him see the brighter side of life.

There are none.

Anno never got past his EVA faggotry, did he?