Half in the Bag Episode 115: Stranger Things

They enjoy it

kike cucklasa confirmed redditor

GET OUT OF MY RECOMMENDED VIDEOS YOU
MOON-FACED
BIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTCH

I have a feeling the the second season of the show will be terrible.

You're consistent, I'll give you that.

HACK
A
C
K

FRAUDS
R
A
U
D
S

PLEBS
L
E
B
S

Why Holla Forums hate Strange Things?

Fuck you to hell user for beating me to it.

because it's popular and retro aesthetic is a huge cliche at this point.

What? People aren't allowed to be critical of things they like?

DUDE 80s LMAO

Nancy is ugly as fuck, and most of the hate is aimed at the plebs whose only reason for recommending it is the nostalgia factor.

May the fat fuck get dissected by the FBI.

Will they ever stop being plebs?

Is there any other way to shut him up?

#KillAllBarbs

the season is over

that's like saying they shouldn't review star wars 7 because there's going to be a star wars 8

Webm or fuck off

Stranger things sucked really bad though. I don't see how anyone liked this.

So, is it true that if I take photos through women's windows, qts will start paying attention to me?

No woman will ever pay attention to you

What if I get a really nice camera?

DUDE HIPSTER SHOWS LMAO
Fucking garbage.

HEY GUIZE 4 THE FIRST TIME EVRE!

REDDIT LEDBETTER IS REVIEWING A TV SHOW!!!

FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME!!!

SO WHAT DID YOU THINK MIKE & JAY!!!???

meh it was okay

Well… I loved it

Its really quite sad considering they were one of the few reviewers I liked. I originally didn't think much of it but their reasons for shitting on DC were what killed my interest a bit. The only real difference between DC and Marvel is that one movie has quirky and comical quips and one has dark and edgy tones. Aside from that, they're basically the same and some of the things they point out that they didn't like about BvS were basically the same things they liked about Avengers, and it makes you wonder how valid these guys are of if they genuinely give a shit about consistency.

Because it's only a competent show. In this age where everything is shit, anything that goes up from shit to mediocre gets praised to hell and back, and that's just bullshit.

It's worth a nod and a 'yeah I guess it's okay', but not the raving reviews it's getting just because everything else is shit.

I don't take them seriously as reviewers, I just watch for entertainment.

I also enjoyed it.
I grew up in the mid to late 90's and not the early 80's, so I liked even without feeling the nostalgia so many people are talking about.
I was seriously hoping they only kept it to one season, though. This would have been a 7/10 miniseries if they had done that.

i'm on the second episode and its watachable at least. its not great.

nope.

I saw the show as a try hard love letter to 80's adventure child movies. Nothing special, but nothing to keep my attention like Daredevil.

I haven't seen Stranger Things but I'm upset Mike liked it.

They make a valid point about how the show starts feeling more like a copycat than a homage.

In this review they say they liked it but have no problem with pointing out all the flaws and things they didn't like about it. TFA they say they liked it but don't bother to point any of the flaws other than a 5 second joke about Phasma.

The season not the series.
They could do it with friends, Buffy, Firefly, HIMYM and be like a movie because is done and gone
Next year we will get S2 stranger things:electric jewgaloo therefor can't be commented on it.
How many series are good on the first season and then fuck up and become shit?

Only thing I utterly can't stand about Stranger Things is the ugly ass sister. Shit looks like a morbid Pinocchio.

It's Pleb Leddit Memeia

I can believe that Netflix astroturf their shows but they wouldn't catch on unless people actually liked them.

Look at Suicide Squad and all the people shilling against it, still a huge hit because of people power.

I wanted to see Suicide Squad but at the same time I don't want Jared Leto to have my money. But I guess I'll go anyway.

here's a good question. where is the line between an homage and a copycat?

The first season had some problems, but the air of mystery and the steady reveal of clues and information kept it engaging. Now that the Upside Down has been fully revealed and we got a good, hard look at the monster, it will be difficult for them to recapture that same spark.

I'll still watch it either way, but I doubt they can make lightning strike twice.

It's not as lulzy when it's something they like. Only cap I got from it.

Stranger Things is honestly decent.
Probably a 6/10. I don't see why so many people fucking love it, though.
There are way better shows out there, but my normalfag sister talked about it like it was on the same level as The Twilight Zone.

Just use a channel blocker.

She reminds me of that one bitch from Game of Thrones, just not as ugly.

Where were you when you realized these guys don't care about the movies they watch or enjoy each others company or the review process but keep doing the show for the youtube ad revenue

just coming back to make an addendum to this.

the start was dull but i really liked it by the end, i'd give it a solid 7/10.
and now i'll list the flaws i saw, which are mostly about 11

-11 was underdeveloped as a character and felt more like an anthropomorphic plot device
-11 is perpetually sad/scared for no reason. this got annoying after the first few minutes of it
-the performance from her and the black kid could have been better, probably because of bad direction, not because they're bad actors
-the kids weren't terrible actors, but their dialogue didn't sound like how real kids their age would talk
-every 5 minutes, there was a nostalgia reference which was grating
-soundtrack is forgettable

now for what i liked
-story is entertaining
-acting was decent overall
-likable characters
-no shoehorned identity politics retardation
-i thought nancy was going to end up with jonathan, and steve would continue being a douche, which would be stereotypical, but they took it in a unique direction instead
-cinematography is good
-special effects are pretty good
-setting feels fleshed out and real
-characters feel relatively genuine

Maise is infinitely uglier in every single way.

Instead of all the flashbacks throughout the show they should have just done an entire episode dedicated to what happened to her, there are glimpses in there but not enough to get the full picture.
She was subjected to experiments since she was little and she has government agents looking for her constantly.
Yeah, I noticed the black kid was trying to act a bit too much like an adult in some scenes.
Also, the kid who played 11 is clearly a good actor, in the scenes where she just has to convey emotions on her face on the ones where she shines. The big problem is that they barely gave her any fucking lines.
That annoyed me a fuckton, they managed to find kids who could actually act - which is rare in this industry - but they wrote them more like teenagers than kids.
I never spotted or even noticed most nostalgiabait, probably because I know nothing about the 80's.
Completely agree, I didn't even notice it was there most of the time.

That's a pretty broad statement, but I guess I'd agree.
I was honestly surprised by the acting. While some performances are better than others, I don't think there's a single weak actor in the show.
The black kid was fucking aggravating. He constantly wanted to turn 11 in despite having no reason to.
This is probably what I like the most about the show even though I shouldn't have. No fucking political bullshit, there's no agenda behind it, it's just a normal fucking show. It saddens me how rare this has become nowadays.
>-i thought nancy was going to end up with jonathan, and steve would continue being a douche, which would be stereotypical, but they took it in a unique direction instead
I really liked that, when Steve ditches his friends and goes over to Byers' house to apologize it felt like he actually regretted his actions despite how he was the one who got socked in the face. I liked that in the last episode they showed he was still in a relationship (or at least still friends) with Nancy.
This also surprised me. I was expecting it to have shitty Syfy channel-tier cinematography, but instead it was more like the kind of cinematography you'd see in a mid-budget movie.
Good cinematography can go a long way, I'm glad the people making this show realised that.

1/2

2/2

Are you talking about CGI or just FX in general?
Because I'd agree with you on the effects front, but the CGI was terrible except for the monster's CGI.
Not exact a hard thing to do, it's based in some small town out in the middle of nowhere. I did like the setting though, having grown up in a similar town myself.
Depends which characters you're talking about
The Government agents had no real motivation and felt like generic bad guys.
The bullies felt like generic over-the-top bullies (pulling a knife to a kid's throat because you think he made you piss yourself? What the shit?).
Steve's friends go from being normal highschool kids to outright assholes in the span of just a few days.

Overall, I enjoyed the show. I see a lot of people raving over the show when they really shouldn't be, but on the flip side I see a fair amount of anons on this board just shit all over it while never listing any reasons as to why it's bad, probably because they didn't actually watch it and just automatically assumed it sucked.
I can't say I'll remember it in a few years' time, but I can at least say it's entertaining to watch. It certainly doesn't deserve the fanbase it's obtained, however.

The monster's CGI was not good, honey. Look at it in the light of day and it looks like somebody tried to explain geiger's alien to a korean graphics designer through a bad phone line. But to the show's credit, i think the whole light flickering thing made it work better then if we got shown it entirely, and for five episodes out of eight we never get a good look at the monster nor the gate, which was definately odd, seeing them try to not show one wall of a room that never moved and that all of the characters in that room were facing.

Overall, the show was very good. Not great, but good. Personally i would have cut the little kid bullies and fleshed out the teen drama a little more, Jonathan as a character has literally nothing going for him other then "He takes photos" and as for the jock's friends, they were never likable at all, and it made the asshole jock's redepmtion arc feel kind of forced, which is a shame. Him actually getting the girl was lovely.

Nobody cares about your shitty e-celebs.

They have to pull an American Horror Story and make the second season completely different or they'll have doomed themselves. They can even keep pulling inspiration from SCP stories too, it just has to start out very mysterious and that won't be the case at all if they continue having it be about the upside-down.

Oh, I didn't mean it was good, I meant it was less-terrible than the rest of the CGI.

I can barely remember any other example of CGI, but i'll admit i wasn't looking for it.

Fag.

I just binged it, it was a 6/10 honestly.

Bad:
-CGI, I know they want the 80's vibe but they are not obliged to used outdated CGI, or use any.
-I thought there was going to have a mindfuck, but no. I thought that 11 was going to be Hopper's daughter or that Will was sent into the future and went back as Steve to fuck his best friend's sister or something, the actor looked pretty much the same except for the gape of age. Jonathan the cuck is fun
-Soundtrack is shit, except for the 80's typical song of The Clash and Joy Division, a bit over the top to be honest.

Good:
-No feminist or racist bullshit, the nigger is the least likeable character, so it's pretty realistic.
-Kind of a Twin Peaks vibe, not so bad really.
-Good actors, not too handsome but not too ugly.
-LOLI IS BEST LOLI

Stranger Things is a show in [CURRENT YEAR] that doesn't have identity politics or a forced agenda.
That alone deserves a fucking standing ovation.

Are you serious?? Thats my biggest criticism. The dopey dad trope is in full force as the 50s style father constantly defers to the mother and is left at their dinner table alone and clueless in one scene. Every character, even side characters like buddy and the red head who both are expendable are believable and likeable people, but not the father. The father is absolutely completely invisible and might as well not be in the show at all. Even the shop keeper is shown in a more positive and memorable light.

The show has earned praise by not following through on every standard cliche, like having the asshole boyfriend redeem himself. What character isn't given the benefit of the doubt, at all, and marches lockstep along the pc identity politics narrative? The deadbeat father who projects his bad parenting onto the poor single mom. In the one scene, will is disappointed his father wont be coming down to take him to a baseball game and the brother convinces Will that his father is neglecting him by not just playing video games with him like Will probably does all the time anyway. Yep, the father trying to share something he likes with his son is terrible parenting. Encouraginging him to like different things is horrible parenting, what an asshole. Is he given a chance to redeem himself and break free of the standard deadbeat dad cliché? No, both the dad characters are mercilessly and wholeheartedly painted as despicable, useless, and selfish.

Executive producers (((Levy))) and (((cohen))).

Honestly i enjoyed the show and i do recommend but im not going so far as to convince myself it's not full of current year bullshit.

Jesus I did not even think about the fathers in the show nice catch. Fathers are either low life dirt bags or a cucks.White families suck goy!

My problem with the series is the that Micheal is a pussy that never really stood up for himself (granted he attempted to once) and needed to rely on the girl to save him from the bully like …..well a damsel in distress.
The other kids he hangs out with are worse than him we have fat, no teeth, retard, deformed, pansy and black Steve Urkel pansy . I get they are supposed to be nerdy but come on where is the character growth?
By the end of season one Michel & friends should have bested the bullies without the girl. You know because the supposed death of their friend and the adventure made them want to stop being children that are being pushed around.

The girl is too overpowered with the telekinesis. She should be little girl + a little bit of telekinesis her real power should be the isolation tank stuff which is what they really wanted her for in the first place….spying