Alternate cuts

Are there any instances where an alternate cut is considered different/better enough to be notable? It just seems there's lots of marketing in "alternate/director's cut" releases, yet the only instance where it matters seems to be Bladerunner where you get a dozen re-releases, a few of which are all pretty different in quality.

Other urls found in this thread:

lostmedia.wikia.com/wiki/Event_Horizon_(Unreleased_130_Minute_Cut)
vimeo.com/151257979
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Dune Directors Cut, because half the story isn't cut out….

You'd like Batman vs Superman ultimate edition, it has 30 extra minutes that add more scene context, and greater detail to the movie overall.
It really shows how much editing WB butchered the movie with the theatrical release

The assembly cut of Alien 3 makes the movie enjoyable, I have to applaud it for that alone.

Apocalypse Now Redux

I wasn't aware they ever released that.

mentioned it in another thread, but Batman Forever.

It feels like a much different movie.

Also:

Blade Runner
Event Horizon (It's coming bb)

literally will never happen

hasn't ever been officially released, but you can find some bootleg dvds of the tv edit

spicediver edit is great as well

I only have watched the ultimate edition and it was still garbage. I can only imagine how bad it was watching the theatrical release.

Batfleck was good though. I didn't like the writing for Batman, but Affleck did well with what he was given. He was certainly a high point of the movie, even if equally counterbalanced by the abysmal everything with Lex.

The original opening and extended helicopter fight alone would've improved Forever a lot.

That original footage is gone fam.

1. Superman II - The Richard Donner Cut
The "original" 2 Superman films were made back to back, the director was Richard Donner. But he criticized the producers (the Salkinds) openly, so after like like 80%was made from the second movie, they fired him and put his second unit director Richard Lester in the director's seat. After like 20 years, the fans campaigned at the studio to let Donner make a true Director's Cut from the material he made back then. This version was released in 2006, and it has a higher rating on imdb than the original. Haven't seen it.

2. Sucker Punch Unrated Cut
Yeah, I know, you all hate that movie and Zack Snyder too, but if you watch the theatrical version and then this version, it's like watching 2 different movies. The theatrical got heavy cuts, and this one has more impact on the viewer, and it's longer by 12 minutes. Saw it, own it on blu-ray, recommending it.

3. Watchmen Ultimate Cut
There is the theatrical version, and then there is the the Director's Cut, which is longer. The Ultimate Cut is the version where the little animated movie of Tales of the Black Freigther is incorporated into the story, like in the comic books, with little scenes, that make a transition into the comics the guy reads at the news stand, and there are transitions when we get back to the "real world". It's almost 4 hours long, but it's very intense. Same with Sucker Punch, a totally different experience than the theatrical run. I own it, and recommend it.

There were several different cuts of Dust Devil, its a tortured history. I don't even know if I have the story completely straight, but I remember that the director, Richard Stanley, started off with 120 minutes of film, then decided to cut ten minutes and submitted it for test screening. His financiers cut it to 95 minutes and then to 87 minutes, and that cut was released in UK theaters and made no fucking sense. The US release was also 87 minutes with different material, and then a second US release came out at 68 minutes which was also released in other European countries. Stanley eventually bought the rights and made The Final Cut (105 min) and a director's cut (114 min).

I agree. Apparently for that one part in the beginning with the African rebel camp, the theatrical version has no flamethrower, making that the whole thing about "Oh no, Superman killed everyone to save Lois, isn't he a monster" completely fucking retarded because they would have found all the corpses dead from gunshot wounds, instead of burned and assuming Superman used his heat vision. Also, they cut the scene where Batman tells Lex he's going to Arkham Asylum.

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

What about alternate cuts that are effectively worse and you realize how good of a job the editor did in saving the movie from shit writers/directors?

That reminds me I've yet to see this, should I theatrical or extended cut?

i haven't seen the dc, but the theatrical is alright. you'll mainly just fap to it.

Director's Cut is way better. The Ultimate Cut is only enjoyable if you've read the comics

Blade Runner you dingus

he asked about sucker punch, not watchmen.

lostmedia.wikia.com/wiki/Event_Horizon_(Unreleased_130_Minute_Cut)

wew

it's quite common, salt preserves the negatives.

maximum kek

The director's cut of Little Shop of Horrors is better than the theatrical one, but it's still far from perfect. I actually have a copy of the workprint that I prefer to any released version.

………….how the fuck did it make it all the way to Transylvania?

Yep. And not ashamed to admit it.

The only good thing I can say about it is that it might be saving us from much worse–given the current Hollywood ptb.

Either way, 99% of them are just bad movies. How the fuck do you take these characters seriously.

there's the problem to begin with, user. none of the movies are meant to be taken seriously. this is why marvel succeeds, and dc fails. marvel gets it, dc doesn't. you can't make a costumed crimefighter serious in any context or medium.

Batman can be serious if he is well written enough.

>>>/tumblr/

Then Extended Cut of Sucker Punch. It's like a different movie from teh theatrical version, but I've already written this down

Are you off your meds or something user, the irony is that you brought more negativity with your memes than any of your accused

Star Wars would be a good example.

I kinda wish we had a directors cut of Star Wars now, one that was Lucas' original vision, not the shitty CGI special edition shit. I bet the original vision would be even more embarrassing than the special edition.

Most of the unused material has been released over the years, hasn't it? I bet you could easily put together a fan edit, if someone hasn't already done it.

I kind of like these cosy Tatooine slice of life scenes, but I can see why you wouldn't want all of this slowing down the movie.

I think the closest to a fan edit like that was Star Wars Revisited, which basically cut out almost all the stupid, useless CGI bullshit added in the Special Edition Original Trilogy, and focused on the continuity errors and quality dips that Lucas et al couldn't be bothered to fix. Only issue is that it's obviously not legal, so the creator's blog only documents the changes.

It just kinda sucks cause even the editor pretty much just says "It's on the internet somewhere so try to torrent it I guess", which will be a pain cause the edits are a few years old now.

you're not talking about the adywan edits are you? because that was the most insulting thing i've ever seen, and i saw jurassic world.

The War of the Stars did incorporate a bunch of cut scenes, made it feel like a fun b-movie that everyone who was making it thought it would turn out to be at the time.

vimeo.com/151257979

We will never get a full cut of Metropolis.