It is generally considered that Pirates of the Caribbean are Johnny Depp vehicles...

It is generally considered that Pirates of the Caribbean are Johnny Depp vehicles, but after repeated viewings they actually became Geoffrey Rush the movies to me. He's so wonderful. Depp's shtick gets boring fast but Rush is like a fine wine.

They were both shit. The Pirates movies are garbage

wew
>>>/hothead/

He's channeling Welles.

This.

If you want pirate kino you have to watch vid related.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH
THE CURSED, GOLD
HAS ALWAYS BEEN CELEBRATED FOR ITS VALUE

Depp's current rep may have helped

I like the first one. The others, not so much.

Kill yourself.

Rush is terrific in those. He steals the show every time he's onscreen.

THERE IS A CARRIBEAN GOLD
INSPIRED, BY THAT SAME CURSED EXCELLENCE

This is the main reason why these movies are such fucking shit.

Exactly. Depp is just a one dimensional shit who only knows how to play one gay character every damn time. Rush feels like a real pirate and a true actor.

He was the best thing in those movies no question.

Is it even worth bothering with the 4th one?

Not only that, but
This read like fanfiction, come on

The sequels were complete shit writing wise. What a waste of potential.

It's got Penelope Cruz as main character next to Johnny Depp

What do you think

this isn't errol flynn

fuck off

I came to this thread specifically to say Rush is the absolute best part of the fourth one. He is absolutely fantastic in that movie, which in fairness is otherwise largely a load of shit.

He's completely and utterly fucking ruthless and single-minded in the film. He's on a path for revenge, and he will do ANYTHING to achieve it.

Spoilers: Blackbeard has this weird hilt that allows him to "control" any ship. Essentially by touching it all the ropes on a ship will come alive and attack their crews. Once captured he puts the ships in bottles and keeps them as captive collections.

Rush's ship is captured in this way at the start of the film, and the only way he can escape is to cut off his own leg. So he gets a peg leg and joins the queen's navy taking control of the fleet with the singular purpose of hunting down Blackbeard and getting revenge for his leg. He gives up a considerable amount of pride just to gain control of this ship to hunt down Blackbeard. He then eagerly sacrifices the entire crew to the ends of having another confrontation with Blackbeard off of a ship so he can't use that sword to overpower him. He tips his sword with poison and is revealed to keep a stash of booze in his peg leg. When he finally tracks him down, he absolutely kicks his ass, takes his sword, crew and ship and satisfied, leaves.

Now, most of the rest of the film is garbage. The mermaids initially are horrifying. I was quite impressed with them. They sing and appear beautiful to lure men in, then they grow sharp teeth and rip them to shreds like pirannhas. They can also shoot seaweed out of their hands like webbing to pull back any fleeing sailors. Problem is once they capture one they have a stupid sub-plot about her falling in love with one of the men, and she's distractingly flat-chested. Penelope Cruz is pretty meh in the film as well.

There is however also a nice scene when the Spanish arrive at the Fountain of Youth. Immediately one of the last remaining British soldiers raises up the Union Jack and declares the place British territory in the name of the queen since they got there first. The Spanish commander promptly shoots him and as he's putting aside his flintlock says "Make note of that man's bravery!"

Yeah he's a pretty great sea dog. I wish he had more screen time in the fourth film.

4 has so much 3D bait that it's not even funny

It's not worth bothering after the 1st one, 2nd one top.
the 1st one was pretty good though

I liked the Spanish in the movie, even though the head guy looked like mixed colonial.

Propably because they weren't in the movie too much.

the 2nd one is great

They were much too jewish films for my taste but I liked Rush's performances.

Official Film Quality Ordering

1>2>4>3

The only good thing about it was Ian McShane

These movies are so indistinguishable that I can't remember which one is which, or what happened in 4 and 3

Agreed.

Seems accurate. And I haven't seen 4.