American Gods | First Look

What can we expect from it, TV?

Other urls found in this thread:

americangods.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Moon
hitfix.com/harpy/live-blog-were-finally-getting-more-information-about-american-gods
vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/07/american-gods-bilquis-photo-starz-yetide-badaki
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I meant Holla Forums

Sleep deprivation is showing

I have no idea what it's supposed to be about. Doesn't look very interesting to be honest. Also, why is Hollywood pushing Black Men with White Women so much? Do they think people don't notice?

Also, isn't Neil Gayman a limey? Why is he writing about Americans? What kind of cuck would want to watch a limey's take on America?

WE WUZ GODZ AN SHEEIT!

Is the black guy supposed to be a god?

He plays Shadow Moon

Spoilers:

americangods.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Moon

He is not a god but he ends up stopping a war between the gods instigated by Loki under a pseudonym, traveling to the netherworld and back and meeting gods and earning their trust and shit. tl;dr: he is the focal point of the story and more impactful in this relationship between the gods

Was he black in the books?

Nevermind, I just read the page you linked. Sounds gay, I'll pass. Gayman seems like a less entertaining and more pretentious version of Alan Moore.

Half, his father was Norwegian, his mother black.

His wife Laura cheats on him with his friend while he is in prison, and those two die while she is giving road head.

The nigger is cucked by his coalburner slut.

…Why is this being made into a TV show? Who wanted this? This was a reddit thing wasn't it?

Reddit is my guess. It's just another story shitting on old mythologies. Places like Reddit like him as an author.

To be honest I just wanted to beat people to the punch and use We Wuz before anyone else, but then after actually reading about the story I find myself even less interested in it than I was assuming he was a god

Why do people like it when writers bastardize and trivialize old myths and characters like Moore did with League of Gentlemen and Gayman did with this?

Must be a reddit expert. Hm.

It's not a terrible book, if you're young, but I can't imagine giving a shit now. Gaiman is something you largely grow out of. Of course it's going to be melodramatic & corny as hell.

No

WE

AYO

hitfix.com/harpy/live-blog-were-finally-getting-more-information-about-american-gods
>[3:24PM PDT] - Bryan Fuller promises to take care of people who haven't read the book. Gaiman adds the way the show is built is you're ahead of the game if you've read the book but they have put in things to keep us guessing too. We also spend more time with characters when they are not with Shadow (Ricky Whittle).

>[3:31PM PDT] - Neil was and is still very involved. The process of finding an actor for Shadow took several months. Ricky did 16 audition tapes for the role before they decided he was the one. With Ian it was as simple as Bryan Fuller giving Gaiman a call and saying "What about Ian?" But then we made him do 16 audition tapes to be fair. Audience laughs.

>[3:32PM PDT] - But now Gaiman is stepping back as the casting goes on as the show gets it’s own flavor. He likes that because he gets to be surprised.

>[3:43PM PDT] - Bryan Fuller talks about how we lose empathy online because we don’t see faces. People say things and it proliferates a climate of hate. We can do better. Audience claps and cheers. Love is being lost among us as technology grows and grows, add Yvette. I'm guessing that has something to do with Technology Boy.

[3:49PM PDT] - The show will be dealing with gun control issues, racial divides, women’s issues, and how technology divides us. Michael Green says confirms American Gods is not here to crap on religion. but to explore what happens with faith. Bryan Fuller just brought up Donald Trump and the absence of tolerance in our current political climate and things have taken a weird turn… but I like it. It’s hard to talk about a show that deals with religion (both old and new — such as putting faith in guns or technology) without going into these volatile subjects.

>[3:51PM PDT] - Gaiman says there was no pushback from Starz when he put down a line in the sand saying the show would be cast the way it was written as far as ethnicity. Michael Green says they got a lot of credit for not whitewashing the cast but they shouldn’t get credit for something that should be a baseline in casting.

>[3:55PM PDT] - Someone asked if we'd see a specific scene from the book. Neil Gaiman jumps in to say that as a general rule, if you loved it in the book it is in the show.

>[4:02PM PDT[ - Gaiman says there were chunks of American Gods that didn’t make it. The original manuscript lost 15-20k words and that got restored in the preferred edition. There were stories and things that didn’t even get written. One example: Japanese internment camp during the WWII. It was all plotted out and did months of research, and ended up nixing it because the manuscript was so long. Gaiman says the plot may show up in the show or if he does another American Gods novel, which is looking more and more likely. Audience goes wild.

Some highlights.

I dunno, I really enjoyed Bryan Fuller's work in Hannibal, that show was bretty gud. And the cast seems pretty solid. Not sure what to expect here, I'm guessing they want to give this book the "Game of Thrones treatment"? Also, the highlighted part has me worried. Should I read the book/s? Does this mean Neil Gaiman will become the next GRRM?

Yeah, dropped.

I assumed if that shithole likes things like dr who they'd like this.

I could be confusing it with tumblr tards.

will they keep the vore scene?

Gaiman went full tumblr years ago, nothing redeemable is left in him

You mean this?

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/07/american-gods-bilquis-photo-starz-yetide-badaki

Considering how gory Hannibal was, I'm guessing they definitely will.

Remember when writers were respectful of the past?

Tolkien is a great example of that, having studied a lot of epics and western mythos which later influenced The Simarillion and The Lord of the Rings.

He loved all of that and it showed.

I cna tell you the book certainly doesn't deal with fucking gun control. Racial divides only matter in a few of the backstories and isn't present at all in the main plot. Women's issues have fucking nothing to do with the original back. Technology definitely does. So it sounds like they're adding shit. I'm upset this series has been in development hell for so long. If they had just started it before the crazy era of social justice I wouldn't be so worried. Modern "issues" don't have anything to do with the main story.

Anyway, I'm hoping that's mostly just hot air to drum up cheap controversy. I guess we'll see when it starts. I do think the original book is quite good, though.

That faggot could barely be contained in hannibal, I loved hannibal but keep in mind these things are always made in a team. I expect this show to go full kike propaganda

I'm so tired of seeing this lie being repeated. The truth is that Tolkien didn't have a lot of respect for what came before him, and in fact he shamelessly used European paganism as a convenient mask for his own Christian beliefs.

For example, the idea that there would be a "dark lord", literally evil incarnate, against which the good guys must fight against, is a childish, simplicistic way to look at things, and it's a theme that runs contrary to native European religion, where darkness is considered as natural as light and not inherently evil.

The glorification of humility and meekness is another example of Christian contamination; European heroes are normally proud and fierce warriors, not little half-men who are completely useless in every way except that they're so pure of heart.

In European folklore, elves are mysterious and dangerous creatures, sometimes friendly and sometimes mischievous. In LOTR, elves are basically angels.

And of course there's the theme of temptation and corruption being central to the plot, I hope I don't need to explain this one.

Tolkien was a scholar, and he probably knew more than me about this stuff, but the fact is that he tried to deceive us by passing Christian values as traditional European ones.

I'm sick of the perfect elves meme. I agree with you on the rest of your points however

You think angels didn't infight?

An army of elves slaughtered a bunch of elves for boats. They aren't angels.

Angels who turned away from the light became demons. Morgoth and Sauron are the biggest examples of this but not the only ones.

Have you read the tale of Túrin Turambar?

It's very reminiscent of Sigmund the Dragonslayer.

Isn't that what Lucifer did? Killed a bunch of angels so he could get a boat out of Heaven?

Stop spreading disinfo, millennial.

stop talking out of your ass

he took shit from Norse mythology, Norse myths are good vs evil to the extent of being dull. Hell, even the Scandinavian folklore are good vs evil which is after myths and keeping some of the Norse traditions of outsmarting an evil beast or hunting one.
In the end the protagonist gets a princess or a lords daughter

The war is an honorable thing is also into the norse traditions of good vs evil. Only the Icelandic sagas are shades of grey but even they have a tales of caution, not becoming too evil, proud, non-honorable or greedy. Like the first Norwegian King was considered too evil so a band of people killed him because again he was too evil in their standards.

So Tolkien stayed really true to the source material he was inspired by.

Even the death of Balder by the main antagonist Loke/Loki that outsmarted Balder's mother.Balder had too much pride so he died for that pride

The Norse myths are more or less cautionary tales.

Go back to /christian/ and stay there, kids.

mohammad pls go blow up somewhere else

Go back to /christian/, kid.

R.I.P. Lincoln!

The pagan larping breed of Holla Forumstards are by far the most insufferable of the lot.

what racemixing jewish propaganda is this?

Please tell me it makes white men feel guilty and inferior, I haven't seen anything like that in 15 mintues.

Friendly reminder

Kneel gayman is an actual, no hyperbole needed, cuckold.

Honestly I'm not even mad, I'm just depressed.

The book was massively overrated, so I don't expect anything.

WewuZ

To be expected of a Luddite christcuck pushing diversity propaganda.

No worse than the worshipers of a Jewish god of war.

So is the author.

You should give it a chance though. It is a pretty decent read. Death by vagina by the Goddess of Fertility in the first couple of pages.

This. What the hell? It deals with technology, basically the new gods but thats it.

Ugh, it has black people in it? Fucking problematic, toxic anti-male anti-white degenerate propaganda. Saged, reported.

>>>/tumblr/

never read Gaiman

he shit

u morons

(user has found cinematic literature now-Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice)

Shadow wasn't really white in the book. People kept guessing what his ethnicity throughout the book. From white, native american, and black.

Also there is a part where the god Thoth gets pissed that people keep saying egyptians are black and talks about how that's wrong.

Gaiman is very popular among young adults and cat ladies. He really is something almost all serious readers grow out of. Too limited.

>The Dark Tower is going to star a totally black guy even though a major plot point has Roland Deschain clashing with Detta Walker because he's white man and she's a racist, man-hating black woman.
>American Gods is going to star a totally black guy even though a major plot point has Shadow revealed to be Odin's son and born in Norway.
Why is this a thing? Cast the guy if he's the best fit for the role, but don't go causng plot holes because "WE'RE SO PROGRESSIVE WE DON'T SEE RACE!".

I'm still waiting for the brave motherfucker who dares to cast a white actor as a black character "just because."

I'm really not keen on the idea of Fuller getting all progressive.

>>>Holla Forums

Im just glad it ended before it turned to shit, even had a nice finale.

But his mother is black. It's always been progressive.

10 bucks says they change the racist woman in The Dark Tower to a white woman to keep the narrative that you can't be racist against white people. That said, back right after the book American Gods came out someone asked who he'd like to play Shadow in live action and Gaiman said The Rock, so he was always going to be dark skinned.

THTHTHTHTHTHTHTHTH

I hate this cuck faggot and pray for his death.

Fuck him and his 'stop reading books by white males' faggotry

t. writefag

Must have missed it on the first read. Still, if we're meant to be being faithful to source material and his race is somewhat important given his father is very white (so he should kinda be mixed race) you'd think they'd cast someone mixed and muscular like The Rock as Gaiman suggested rather than a totally black guy.

Maybe I'll watch an episode and he'll be perfect for the role and I'll eat my words, who knows?

I'm all but certain they'd never do Detta Walker black anyway: she's a non-white caricature, and there's no way they'd go for it these days even if Roland was played by a white guy. It doesn't matter that Odetta Holmes (her other personality cause she's Hollywood's idea of schizo) is a polite, wonderful woman, the fact that her evil persona is a violent, racist cunt who screams "da honky ma'fuckers gon' rape meh!" means she wasn't going to be black from the start.

I think the reason I'm so pissed at the casting is because Roland Deschain is basically Clint Eastwood's character in the Dollars trilogy, and his son Scott Eastwood looks perfect for the role. But nope, got to get them diversity points and have a black protagonist in spite of the plot complications it causes.