ITT: Weird Adaptations

Adaptations that drifted heavily from their source material in strange ways

By weird you mean shit?

Usually they go hand in hand

Fuck you Cat in the Hat is funny

kys

CitH is pure fucking kino, you assblasted nigger.

The TV show was pretty shit anyway tbh fam.

You should consider suicide and then commit to it.

I can tolerate a lot of shit, but you should really kys.

It was only good for that one fps looking scene. Now we've already got an fps movie already in Hardcore Henry.

Netflix Death Note will probably be different. Can't see them using the same mannerisms the original L has in the manga for a live action American series.

That one scene made the whole movie worth it imo

I also thought Karl Urban was pretty good in it

I always thought that idea was neat, that their super-soldier experiment kept turning people into monsters because they'd only test it on bad people, prisoners sentenced for life or something.

Too bad that even if you ignore how terrible and plain shit the adaptation is and treat it as its own thing, it's still a terrible movie.

Fuck you Seth Rogan! Fuck you hard!

Looks like Holla Forums is to pleb for CitH

Where was the gorilla?

Did anyone ever read the short story Total Recall was based on?

Leave Dune alone you son of a bitch

It's a fantastic looking film that sacrifices both the core tenants of the book and basic coherency for the sake of a 90 minute run time. If it had another hour, and successfully built up the unforgiving desert, Paul's power and the reality of jihad, it would have been a fantastic movie. As is, it's an unfortunate failure that is occasionally romanticized.

Anyways, we're talking about films taking different directions, not necessarily being shit.

If they try to give him the same mannerisms as the original character he will look like some weird stoner.

Is Barbershop based on anything?

if it was so shit why did so many people watch it?

He already looks like a Muslim pointing hia index like that.

On a deeper, almost metaphysical level, I must know why Jackson did it. There's more to it than just "money," more than just "executive meddling."

Why?

Delusion of grandeur? In order to be always remembered as the one that brought and expanded Tolkien stuff on the silver screen?

He did it because he didn't know what the fuck he was doing. He even admitted that. At the same time he is partially self-aware to know what he did was a mess. It could have been worse but the movies play out like an above-average star wars prequel trilogy. He thought he could piece together the background information from the Silmarillion and make The Hobbit epic in its own right like the LOTR trilogy, but he went too far in a few places and ruined the dwarves by making one his self-insert and the elf-dwarf romance was awkward and stupid.

user, the movies are bloated, the story hardly progresses ever and the dragon sequence in the second one look like straight out of a Tom&Jerry cartoon, just switch Jerry with many dwarves and add more (poor) CGI

The Running Man.

The story is actually decent, the contestant on the deadly game show have the entire continental USA to hide in, and they must stay hidden/alive for 1 month (I think) to claim the prize. Also ordinary citizens can report you for huge money, so literally everyone is your enemy. Cops & bounty hunters have legal right to just kill you on sight. The protagonist slowly learns that the whole thing is rigged (they are tracking him) and that the evil corp. has already killed his wife & babby, so he hijacks a plane and crashes it into their skyscraper. No, really. He also kills a ton of cops. So it'll never get made.

Guess Nicki Minaj but be one of the greatest musicians of all time. She has millions of fans and gets dozens of awards so it must be true.

Obligation. The entire thing was a big obligation. No one really wanted to be there after Del Toro walked, but they felt the need to see it through. I think even the audience felt that way after the first movie.

The Hobbit had potential. It could never stand up against LotR or any other "epic" trilogy, but as a standalone kids movie?

With production quality on par with Fellowship, a Hobbit movie could have easily become one of the greatest children's movies of our generation, on par with E.T or even Wizard of Oz.

All Jackson had to do was the opposite of what he did-keep the deepest lore away, leaving only subtle references.

The Dragon scene(s) were the only passable part of the whole quagmire. Dialogue, cinematography, and effects finally converged to create a mesmerizing immersive and tense scene that was never, ever seen again.

I quite liked that adaptation actually.

maybe not all time, but she's certainly one of the greatest musicians currently active

Whoever likes that movies needs to be flayed alive.

Are you talking about a hokey 70s children's show from Sid & Marty Kroft?

Seth Rogan was good in it, it was the chink who could barely speak 2 words of English that ruined it

Hokey nowadays but the writing was consistent as were the locations and characters. That is, until season 2 where 90% of the team fucked off.

Man, I'd sooner watch the 90's series all the way through twice in a row before i'd see the shitty movie.

That actually sounds fucking cool. The movie was abysmal though, it just feels like a poor mans Escape from New York