Scariest movie you've ever seen

So, I'm going to make a fool of myself here but whatever.
I live alone in a rural area (and I mean truly alone, no doggo or cat around, just me) and one day I made the mistake of watching pic related in the middle of the night.
You've never experienced true fear while watching a film until you've seen The Descent.
I had to take four pills of valium and sat in my bed with my hunting rifle in my hands, no safety, round in the chamber and finger on the trigger.
Still I couldn't sleep and had to wait until dawn to feel safe.
Every noise I heard I aimed my gun in that direction.
Yeah it's embarassing to a degree, but this is truly the first and only horror film (or film in general) that truly scared the living shit out of me.
I've watched plenty of horror as a kid and many films scared me but I never lost one hour of sleep over a film.
This one was different, in a terribly uncomfortable way.
And the saddest thing is that I am 25, going 26.
So there's my little pathetic story about a grown man shitting his pants over a low-budget slasher flick.

What's the scariest film you've ever seen?

How many times are we going to have this thread?

This

Fuck people who like going spelunking, that's all I have to say, something is wrong with your survival instincts

Blair Witch Project scared the shit out of me. Slept with the light on after I saw it.

The Blair Witch Project had me terrified as soon as things started going wrong for the protagonists. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre had a similar effect on me.

Night of the Living Dead spooked me for a while after watching it. The Ring was scary as hell too. So was Cure.

It took twelve years for me to recover.r

I'm not sure I would call it scary, but Antichrist made me so fucking nervous and tense. I winced and recoiled in horror a few times. That one scene hit me hard. You know which one.

This movie was scary to met because I am Claustrophobic. It was uneasy the whole time.

I wouldn't call it scary, exactly, either, but Antichrist is probably the most unsettling movie I've ever seen.

Definitely qualifies as scary, like a reverse Shining. Melancholia was creepy as fuck too.

Yeah, that was a sleepless night.

yeah, this was probably the last film I remember being genuinely scared by, probably because I was 13 when I saw it. wish I could get scared like that again :(

All I remember from that movie is the chick gets preggo and queefs out a monster larva at the end and then summons the power to kill the monster.

Or am I remembering the same spelunking horror movie?

Descent is a pretty great movie but scary? Nah
To be honest im alpha as fuck, so not sure if i should use my standards on a site crowded by faggy kids

related beats all others

That and Willy Wonka. Fuck you gene wilder for ruining my childhood.

Gynecology and terror, what a combination

I saw lord of illusions when I was 9 and jesus christ was it terrifying.

The scene where a raincloud comes into a basement and starts to make the floor muddy and everyone sinks into it slowly drowning is still there with me.

Truly terrifying.

I couldn't tell you. I haven't been scared by a film since I was a little kid.

I remember being spooked by fucking Children of the Corn 2, of all things, when I was like 9. Was pretty terrified for a couple months afterwards.

I'm new to horror so the scariest things I can think of are a couple scenes in It Follows and the first half of The Babadook. I tried watching a lot of Holla Forums approved horror movies like Jacob's Ladder, The Thing, and The Exorcist but none of them really scared me to any significant extent. I'll definitely watch anything that gets posted here though, always looking for more good shit.

This thread seems like it will be very helpful because I got into horror only recently, and the scariest thing so far has been the Babadook which I hear is pretty mediocre. Thanks for the recommendations (I'm not OP though).

I haven't seen Antichrist but Enemy did that for me. If you're interested in ridiculously unsettling movies you should check it out.

The thing and shining where unsettling when I was a kid. Now the only movie that actually let me feel unsettled or full on afraid was babadook. fuck depression men

Blair Witch Project.

Only because I go in the woods and that movie taps straight into the Fear of unidentifiable noises when camping alone at three in the morning.

Nothing like a fucked up imagination trying to makes sense of something that sounds exactly like a human being tortured.

This is one of the things that's depressed me about growing up. When I was a kid every horror movie I saw freaked me out. I remember being 3, the very first movie I ever saw was Godzilla vs Megalon. I'd have to run and hide whenever Megalon was on sceen by himself. "It's a gross giant cockroach monster!")

Then Who Framed Roger Rabbit was my second, and the fucking shoe in the Dip scene horrified me "What about the other shoe? Is he just going to be alone now forever?" Judge Doom in general freaked me out.

Then I watched Willow, and the scene with the troll transforming into the dragon freaked me right the fuck out.

Since then up to a certain age every horror movie I saw worked on me to an extent. It, Thing, whichever Amityville had the scene with the guy melting into the shower floor, Killer Klowns from Space, fucking Troll 2 gave me nightmares because my second grade teacher looked JUST like the witch.

At some point in my teens nothing scared me anymore, and I just started watching horror movies like they were amusement park rides, laughing at the gore. Most effect they have on me these days is unsettling me, if I'm lucky. I guess the last one that sort of did that was Clown.

but it is, goy

This movie seems more on point in the age of soft reboots

Night of the Living Dead is one of my favorite movies.
The only zombie movie that ever felt genuine to me.

I'm not usually the type to get scared by movies, but Halloween really freaked me out.

There are plenty of other movies I find unsettling, but there aren't very many I'd call "scary."

Same.

Sure thing nerd :^)