Was the 1990s as magical of a time as most people say it was?

Was the 1990s as magical of a time as most people say it was?

Other urls found in this thread:

flavorwire.com/480990/pete-pete-was-all-white-people-slimed-author-mathew-klickstein-on-why-ren-and-stimpy-was-better-than-clarissa-and-nickelodeons-diversity-problem
youtube.com/watch?v=gHBhKbF2xMA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Compared to [[current year]]?

Yes.

Reported.

90s was a shit

When were you born?

A Wyatt Mann should tell you all you really need to know about the period that was the late 80s - the turn of the millennium and beyond

The 80's was infinitely better.

This.

None of that bullshit political correctness. The black man always dies first.

During the 90's everyone kept saying the 70's and the 60's were the best. During the 00's, everyone loved the 80's. Now it's the 10's and 90's shit is popular. By the 20's, Justin Bieber will be a religious icon.

Everything's better in hindsight, OP.

the problem is the 00s and 10s dont really have any culture or memorable things

I think everyone was too busy being pissed at Bush during then

yeah, fucking right wing nazis

things will be so better when we get a democrat in the white house

I wanted to have sex with Janeane Garofalo.

Go back to your year of birth

That's because things are getting worse, not better.

The way music is going, in the future there won't even be any rhythm. People will just listen to sine waves.

"Everything was better when I was young! The music/literature/cave paintings of today is terrible!"

-People during every single era of human existence

It was pretty normal. Of course, that's something we can only dream of today.

Literally never happened. Newfag confirmed, get the fuck out.

It's "no i'm the true oldfag" applied to real life. The 90s was full of shit too, people just like to look at it through rose tinted glasses.

Not true in the slightest.

Of course there was a culture. It's just a police state culture that drifted into a jewish cultural marxism state.

I only spent the first five years of my life in the 90s, so most of my childhood memories are of the 2000s and I can confirm that it was shit. The majority of my favourite movies are from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Not saying those decades were perfect but things have definitely gotten worse since the beginning of this millennium.

Maybe Ben-Stiller-Show-era, but now? Fuck no.

just a reminder: the 90s started on January 1, 1991

probably because global capitalism has slowly turned all art & entertainment into a brainless, flavorless, uniform slurry of non-ideas and mimetic anti-thought so that no one is challenged or offended. culturally we are at "pink slime" levels of development, and this is no accident, it's to keep people stupid so they look at ads & buy shit instead of saving the world.

nah wait what am i saying, it's them damn jews! gotta fit in, gotta fit in-

No newfriend, you're missing the point, even 90s shit was better than current year shit.

fookin noice reaction image

Yes it was you underage faggot. In the 00s you had trash TV like I LOVE THE 80s, Vice City was the highest selling game that year, you had rock and metal bands from the 80s regrouping and making music again. Every generation seems to evangelize the one that came 20 years before it.

Go home millennial faggot.

Prove me wrong faggot. In the 00s people were reminiscing about the 80s just like how now everyone jerks off to the 90s.

He's right, you know.

no you're not

>>>Holla Forums
>>>/ovens/

I'm not a capitalist myself though because truly free markets have inherently negative effects.

yes, for lazy and/or incompetent people

yes it did
get out of your basement from time to time

No. I grew up in the 90's. Nostalgia is a lie. You just want your innocence back so you convince yourself it was better when you were a kid.
90's:
I could go on and on. 90's was garbage.

I wanna say that image is inaccurate as to 90s feels, but I guess it's subjective. Looks like somebody did a Wikipedia search for Top-10 stuff in every category. Hanson was pretty big, Third Eye Blind, Gangsta's Paradise (and Weird Al song parodies), Free Willy, Doug, Rugrats, Batman- TAS, Natalie Imbruglia's one single, the Gummi Bears, Clarissa Explains It All, Secret World of Alex Mack, Home Improvement, Boy Meets World… Green Day's accurate I suppose though not really the time-period when that picture was taken. I don't remember Home Alone being really all that popular, I much preferred the Honey I Shrunk the Kids duology. And fuckin embed related.

They were a pretty big step down compared to the '80s (aside from the vidya games, which were often better until 3D came along), but the mass culture of that period stacks up well compared to today's. That's not saying much, though.

Although that's kind of easy for me to say, since I lived in a small Midwestern town where people were behind the times, and plus I was homeschooled and didn't have cable. Think of the vibe of American Movie. I was exposed to a lot of older pop culture (which I grew to prefer) and likely couldn't have named any of the biggest '90s music stars, for example.

Overall, I feel lots of nostalgia for that era and really like the A E S T H E T I C, but they couldn't match the '80s.

The Bush-bashing got really tiresome, not that he was a good president or anything. They acted like they were masters of political philosophy because they learned to parrot boilerplate talking points, similar to how their "conservative" equivalents have reacted to Obongo's presidency.

And they said Disney isn't run by pedosexuals.

A little bit, yes. It was certainly better than how things are now, but it had its fair share of shit too.

Fuck off just because millenials missed the whole fusion with sine waves and norwegian folkmusic(beherit etc.) which literally was killed with craddle of filth ruining it for everybody. Does not mean that sine waves are not cool. It is your millenials fault to not to invent anything original with those instead you just let Justin Timberlake ride those waves.

nice wikipedia search newfag

Pop music really regressed in the 90s, but every other less mainstream genre improved.
Just compare rap, alt rock, metal and electronic music in 80s vs 90s. Huge improvements were made.

check out this pleb.

fyt me faggot

The 90s is also the time where PC culture was born and apparently beaten, with South Park and the violent vidya bruhaha. Now if only 9/11 didn't spiral the USA into an hysteria for safe spaces…

I don't know if it was the 90's themselves that were so great. I mean it was a good time, but…

It was the last decade in peoples memory that was pre-9/11. If you were born during the 90's, you likely don't have any formative memory of what life was like. Just how DIFFERENT things were. Unless you were there, you don't realize what a paradigm shift it was. It changed almost everything on every level of society.

Everything changed, and pretty badly. Basically notice that no one references the "00's"? the "oughts" as they are called? Because culture essentially was placed on hold after sept 11 '01. Go listen to music in the year 2005. Go watch a movie made in the year 2005. Nothing has changed.

This is also why people don't seem to really realize that we are past half way through the 10's right now.

Think of how different 1985 was to 1996. Now think about 2005 to 2016.

Hopefully you understand now. When people say they miss the 90's. They really mean "I miss how things were before this entire shitty trajectory the world was set on."

We aren't there yet, but I describe everything 2000-2008 as the bush years, and there's a particular feel and a lot of cultural material you can easily associate with that time.

Every decade is viewed as worse than the last one. This thread is just people in their 20's arguing with teenagers.

Sure thing, KID

Yes, things that happen in relevant countries tend to impact the entire world.

nah, it's just everyone thinks their childhood years are the best period in human history.

that said, I sure as fuck wouldn't want to be a kid growing up in the 2010s.

Yes, but not as magical as the 80s.

It lead to the expansion of the surveillance state. Look into Five Eyes, it effects more than just America.

90s was the fruit of degeneracy back in the 80s so no.

Yes, something major happening in the biggest and most powerful nation had an effect on the whole world.

I wanted to fuck Sable.

fucking /mu/ can not tell if shitposting or telling the truth.

Not really. Musical genres just continued to branch out as they were doing in the '80s, but in specific and increasingly specialized styles (black metal, industrial metal, downtempo, shoegaze, etc.). Things started to stagnate once the landmark releases had come out and stylistic conventions within the niche subgenres were set. The best albums of the '90s came out in the early part of the decade.

I don't care about hip-hop or most alternative rock, but as far as rock and dance music are concerned, the '80s were an overall high point.

that is weird since there was ww2, cold war, nam, all way worse than 9-11. I don't know why 9-11 fucked us up good though.

i can't wait for the reboots of jurassic park and lion king where the main characters are trans

well, there was a jurassic reboot last year where the protag was a raptor

thats because 9-11 was the first time the war came to us since the 19th century. in the most populated city in the country no less. and new york, being a ((cultural)) epicenter, you can be assured that they will bring the war to the rest of us in any way possible ie all of the authorotarian bullshit following 9-11.

pearl habor was not a state at the time, nor was it in any way connected to the mainland, and it was not a major American population center, much less culturally significant.

The world is a big place, kid. Not that I'd expect an amerifat to know.

Which would have happened anyway, because bureaucracies by their very nature tend to expand.

Sorry to burst your babble, but Russia is the biggest country by surface area, and China is the biggest by population.

please see attachment for mfw those kids are already dooooooooomed as fuck

people forget that relatively few people died that day. but it happened in MUH AMERICA so it must be a big deal. they pray that their sins never return to them, this is all they pray for.

Modern rap is better than 90s rap fuck off pol I'm not a degenerate I swear

I heard Ross when I read that.

Lynch yourself nigger.

No

What does this have to do with shit?

America is the most powerful and most prosperous nation on the planet. Attacks of this scale do not usually happen on Western soil. You're damn right people were shook up about it

9/11 gave them the pretext

I know absolutely shitdick about rap but I know that someone like 2Pac was at least somewhat authentic and stood for something and had some guts, though I doubt he'd like me, or me him. Kanye might as well be Katy Perry to someone like me, if he wants to be seen as an "Artist" why is he just a big dumb pompous celebrity ego? He makes pop music, not music.

eeeyy what a shit thread

[citation needed]

Yeah maybe a significant percentage of amerifats were, but the rest of the world didn't give a shit.

There's always a pretext.

Rap music:
-degrades the english language
-Promotes tagging and vandalism
-degrades women
-Implies postivity to primitive force (look at any metal cd, and youll see an imaginative cover with interesting artwork, look at a hip hop Cd, and youll see a pissed off nigger wanting to fight)
-Shifts values to "bling" and expensive shoes which leads to theft -Promotes Rastafrian culture, which tries to legalize weed

Rap can be made by ANYBODY, a preset drum machine is all you need to make primitve music and get signed to a record label. If youve been shot, thats credible and prefered to hype your image, just like growing up on the "street" The lyrics are simple, the sentences dont need to be related, just whatever can ryhme is fine. They dont even have to make sense, just as long as it sticks to an even flow. And sometimes, rappers will get lazy and mispronounce words to rhyme. Now some of you guys are gonna say "dats racist", but more thn half of all niger music is sold to whites. No other genre of music promotes more negative values than hip hop, and as it spreads toward different regions, it infects the native population like a fungus.

There is NO talent in rap, so next time, whe your downloading music, get yourself a king crimson, dark tranquility, symphony x or non-hip hop album. Your brain will thank you for not degenerating it into a pile of primtive processing jello

Speaking as someone who lives in 'the rest of the world' yes they did. You couldn't turn on a TV for days after that attack, without seeing something about it.

That's just propaganda produced by the mass media.

go back to reddit , kid

how 90s of you

It's time to stop worshiping the nigger dick, cuck.

Ah. Classic European arrogance. The United States is the most powerful nation on Earth. Our ICBMs are the best, not to mention our navy. Neither China or Russia have the force projection to touch us.

You are also a cultural blight on Western civilization. No other "culture" has damaged the white race as much as your Hollywood and music industry did.

I'm sure the wetbacks will learn to appreciate what you have built for them in time.

oh my bad, i meant the raptor being trans

hitler dubs get, but one song by biggie is better than anything put out today

Isn't American culture based off of British culture.

How is it propaganda to report the news?

Seems all I ever heard back then was Bush bashing. Liberals would blame Bush for everything including their Starbucks coffee not having any cream in it.

Bush was fucking saint compared to King Nigger who has taken every opportunity to fuck this country over.

They're just as bad as each other. The only difference is, Obama's got a black card he can play whenever people criticise him too much.

Obama would be a completely forgettable President if it weren't for the fact that he happens to be half black.

Obama's also a Democrat, so most of the media will not be as harsh with him as they would with a Republican

The 90s was definitely better, but it wasn't without its' flaws.

Video games were in their golden age and TV got more experimental but music took a nose dive when grunge hit the scene. Everybody started singing like Eddie Veder and could only play 3 chords andwould write songs about how miserable their lives were (Despite the fact they were millionaires.)

Comics went through a period of mental retardation with that whole "EXTREME!!!" crap that seemed to infect everything at the time which led to bad artwork and bad writing.

Movies were okay, but not nearly as great as they were in the 80s.

kys

I read that Nickelodeon deliberately targeted white, upper-middle class suburban

It was an image of America almost like the 1950s stereotype. Looking back at their commercials I see how they took the memes of comfy, staid suburban life and kind of made them cartoonish (breakfast with dad reading the paper before work, mom and dad waking up, chores, etc). The shows, Pete and Pete, Clarissa Explains it All, and many others, showed the America most suburban whites experienced themselves in an honest and realistic way

Freed from the complications you see today, where any bastion of White American life is considered inherently racist and needing rapid enrichment to keep opportunity, Nickelodeon as well as much of 90s culture was able to create a kind of throwback to the 1950s American idyll that, 20 years hence, we can see was very real and now is very, probably permanently, gone.

The fact that we had the 60s to look back on during the 90s was one of the things that made it so cool. The music was pretty fucking amazing in the 60s.

Time Life music collection CD/cassette commercials would last for hours late at night and serve as a kind of quasi-MTV and cultural time warp.

It was like hooking Neo into the matrix and uploading Kung Fu. They just took the hooks of each hit song and played them over and over on after another. To this day there are dozens of song's I've never heard in full but recognize the catchy hook due to watching this as a kid. The same is true of perhaps millions.

flavorwire.com/480990/pete-pete-was-all-white-people-slimed-author-mathew-klickstein-on-why-ren-and-stimpy-was-better-than-clarissa-and-nickelodeons-diversity-problem

here, and just google "Nickelodeon too white" or variations thereof and look at all the results.

Perhaps the biggest distinction the 90s has is being the last white-majority decade culturally. Demographically we are already white minority, it just takes the next generation (where whites are in the mid 40% of babies) to grow up.

Expect nostalgia for the 90s to kick in hardcore over the next decades for this reason.

That whole faux-1950s thing was everywhere back then but it was especially prevailant on Nickelodeon (Especially in their afterhours programming.) I guess it could be seen as the last gasp of White America on Television.

The 80s and the 90s were a fantastic era for movies and music. 90s and early 00s were perfect for cartoons and anime. In 2006 everything went to shit.

just a hunch here, but did you by any chance graduate from high school in 2006?

where did this new cumskin persecution complex come from? lately I've noticed lots of millennials spouting this BS. they think everyone is out to get them "because they are white". it's getting kind of scary, I wonder if theyll start lashing out at people in public.

I think you can separate the Bush years and the Obama years, pretty easily. Although, the changes are more due to technological progress than changing values.

I fight you nigger

Seriously wtf is with the poor retorts on here lately?

I'm just saying, usually when people say that everything made after some year sucks, that year is when they graduated from high school

Wasn't 2006 the year Big Bazinga Theory came out?

Is this the part where we get rid of the minimum wage laws because obviously companies give half a shit about anything other than their bottom line?

It was half as good as the 80s, so about 100 times better than the post-9/11 and especially post-2007 world.

Fuck off Holla Forumseddit.

I wonder who could be behind that.

Gas yourself nigger. Go riot because a criminal got shot by a cop while dinduing nuffin, just flailing a firearm around.

In the future, rap will degrade far enough that there will be "songs" where the "lyrics" are entirely

GAS YOURSELF BOARD OWNER I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO MAKE MULTIPLE POSTS TO GET A SMALL AMOUNT OF TYPING THROUGH WHO THE FUCK SETS REPLY LIMIT TO 20 LINES MAX

I will never be able to grasp just how broken these (((people))) are to claim such things, even though I know the reason.

Everything these guys said is true.

Kek

This. This right here.

aka the 90s

I'd prefer the shit hole that was the 70s over what's going on now. At least then I could watch Blackula in theaters.

all progress has been halted deliberately.

youtube.com/watch?v=gHBhKbF2xMA

This was the 90s. Okay? This. That's how magical it was.

In the 90s, Angelina Jolie was actually the hottest woman on Earth.

You're retarded.

Fuck off back to Holla Forumseddit you double nigger.

What a time.

Yup, everyone who disagrees with your terrible opinions is just from Holla Forums.

Majora's Mask looked like shit despite the gameplay.

90s incarnate right here

It was okay

That's more like early 2000's.

Are you retarded or just twelve years old?

I had both a N64 and a PC as a kid, as well as several other consoles. Nice try, champ, but it looks like you're going to need a better way to justify your retarded opinions.

If this were true you'd have a lot more people who remember who Aaron Carter was right now.