Horror of the Unsettling Sort

I've been on a bit of a binge of older movies, specially body horror, and I'm wondering what you may recommend in the vein of these movies.

Doesn't necessarily have to be body horror, but unsettling would be fine.

Other urls found in this thread:

cytu.be/r/filmclub
imdb.com/title/tt0082933/
imdb.com/title/tt0098354/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibal_boom
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Example of unsettling, although it's not even horror.

These two were oddly similar.

Liked Shivers more though, due to the ending.

Another example of unsettling. Will bump one other time.

Cannibal Holohoax if you haven't seen it.

Neat! That'll go on the list.

Last bump, cuz that's as far as I've binged so far. Thanks again to

I actually like "Session 9", it's very unsettling and ambiguous and tense. No real gore or body horror, it's a mental thing. Give it a whirl.

And while I'm busy remembering, here's the mockumentary that inspired Threads.

It was so good for its time, it won a documentary award and the panel immediately banned mockumentaries from winning anymore.

Looks interesting, adding that to the list.

I live in the weak and the wounded… Doc.

Didn't we just have this thread a week ago?

Sage for pretty sure we just had this thread like a week ago.

I piss off work for a long weekend and I miss threads left and right.
If it helps you feel better, I have no more bumps left in me.

the house by the cemetery

Really anything by Fulci has an unsettling vibe. And of course plenty of gore.

Fun fact: the gratuitous animal deaths in the movie are actually real. Call me a pansy, but I have a hard time watching that coatimundi getting its throat slit.

Also, the "Last Road to Hell" segment is sort of based off the case of Africa Addio, a mondo flick where the filmmakers were arrested and acquitted for allegedly staging the death of a Congolese rebel. Riz Ortolani did the music for both movies.

That eye-gouging scene in Zombi 2 was pretty gross.

I just have to say I love Holla Forums's taste in horror. Every time there's a horror thread I always end up smiling because you guys really know your shit.

When it comes to body horror I'm gonna go low brow with it and point towards Street Trash. Also Cronenburg's remake of The Fly, and even The Fly 2, while not nearly as poignant a film, adequately serves up the red stuff.

Brutal film.

cytu.be/r/filmclub

What is this, user?

Spam

it's a fantastic movie, hard to believe USA (the TV channel) of all people made it. There are a lot of "creepy abandoned asylum" movies and it's one of the best

imdb.com/title/tt0082933/

Go in totally blind. Don't youtube anything trying to figure out whether or not you'll like it, you'll end up spoiling it for yourself. I think it's one of Sam Neill's best movies and a great example of an art house Body Horror (in a sense.)

imdb.com/title/tt0098354/

It's not so much unsettling because of the dark humor element but it's still a gem in the Body Horror Category. Great practical FX by Screaming Mad George too.

Peter Watkins is greatly underappreciated imho.

Pontypool

How can small parts interview such a big guy?

It would be extremely difficult.

lotta loyalty for a small part

Including that poor turtle getting torn apart.

Funner fact: the director and producers had to round up the cast for an Italian court to prove that they hadn't actually murdered the people that die in the film.

You don't get to bring extras.

The director for August Underground had to do the same thing when his DVDs got seized at the canadian border checkpoint.

on an unrelated note if you reverse image search the Shivers cover it comes up with "dead space 2 xbox 360", which is funny

From what I remember, Deodato purposely had his actors keep a low profile after making the movie just to keep the illusion going. He ended up getting the charges dropped after showing how the impalement scene was just done by having the actress sit on a bicycle seat attached to the end of a rod and putting a piece of wood in her mouth.

checked

Cannibal Holocaust is the only movie I've been legitimately disgusted by. The theme song was awesome, though.

Cannibal Holocaust has some 10/10 music, nigga. It really makes me feel like I just sipped some ayahuasca and a bunch of cannibal pygmies are chasing me.

I think I'd have to agree with that. I found Gummo kind of repulsive, but Cannibal Holocaust is off-putting on a much more visceral level. On the other hand, I think it's a fantastic piece of horror film-making and am conflicted with the idea of seeing it again. It makes me feel like a sicko for even watching it.

You might want to czech out the Africa Addio soundtrack, too. It's a lot more conventional in terms of style, but it's still great music.

I think Mondo Cane is considered pretty good, although I'm really not familiar with that one.

So I've always been more of a lurker and never a poster, but I wanted to say for once I decided to take you fucks up on watching Cannibal Holocaust. It was great and the story went in an unexpected way for me. Any other movies that have that kind of feeling? I think I might watch it again. I don't get off on gore or anything, the story was just… really good. I mean you have to be forgiving with the timeline issues but besides that goddamn.

Same guy as
Is this a decent list to go off of for that kind of primative cannibal genre? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibal_boom

Also I didn't know how fucked the Italian film scene was between the 60s and 80s. I mean I've seen Salo but goddamn it looks like Mussolini really fucked that country up psychologically for a while.

Was going to post this. Dubs confirm.

I'm glad to know that you didn't feel screwed up afterwards like I was when I first watched it. It's definitely a well-made horror flick in a lot of ways. One of the things that makes it work for me is how raw and unpolished the found footage parts look. It gives it a gritty, realistic feeling comparable to movies like Night of the Living Dead or the Texas Chain Saw Massacre. The level of verisimilitude in Cannibal Holocaust goes far beyond those, though.

I haven't seen any other movies in the genre, but The Man from Deep River, Last Cannibal World, and Cannibal Ferox are definitely names that come up a lot. Cannibal Holocaust seems to be widely considered the best, though.

I want Holla Forums out.

I met Peter Mullan on a train last year, absolutely lovely chap he is.

There wouldn't be Silent Hill without this gem.

…huh, I thought it was schlocky as fuck. I wanted to see it for years, and then when I finally sat down and watched it a few years ago it came off like a B movie

Isn't this film about ducking though?

Holy fuck quints guys. Check those fuckers.

I'll ask here instead of making another thread. What are some good horror movies that don't rely on the cast being dumb as shit to move the plot along? They don't necessarily have to be OP related

The Caller has a really creepy concept but it's handedly poorly as the over arching plot falls flat and the cast is unlikable. Would of made a fantastic short movie and worth watching at least for the idea.

I tried to think of some, but how would you have a horror plot without flawed characters? I guess Dog Soldiers? They are hyper-competent people but still overwhelmed by horror.

The Blair Witch project. The kids never do anything really stupid that matters, there is 1 questionable scene but depending on how you consider the story it's not unreasonable.

I have nothing bad to say about the third one. Still, they did plenty stupid.

who let reddipol in

Tetsuo: The Iron Man

It's disturbing and gay, but really cool at the same time. The music, the choreography, the main villain, the fight scenes, and the final scene are absolutely cool. Imagine David Lynch directing The Terminator with his surreal nihilist Eraserhead style.

Spotted the Holla Forumsfag.

Fuck off, goon.

Hey nu-Holla Forums, you make it really obvious. Lurk, OK?

You're not fooling anyone, son.

Holla Forums or not, he's right.

it was actually pretty shitty, as was the sequel and erasurehead. pretentious turds.

always that same wannabe edgy kid, like clockwork.

How is Eraserhead pretentious? It's just a dark, surreal atmosphere piece.