So will we ever see this done right? I think I'd be content even with a half-assed adaptation like what D&D did to GoT

So will we ever see this done right? I think I'd be content even with a half-assed adaptation like what D&D did to GoT.

Other urls found in this thread:

ifdb.fanedit.org/dune-1984-the-alternative-edition/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dune was already done well in the 80s.

Not really. A lot of shit was left out and the whole nature of Paul's power is different.

It's fucking hard to do because half the dialogue is internal. Almost everything said is analyzed and digested.

If they do just the spoken dialogue, most of the depth is lost.

Make up your fucking mind!

I'm just saying I want it to be better than what we've got.

The syfy one is technically a better adaptation, but a shittier presentation.

At least the lynch flick is fun.

Adaptions don't have to be 1:1 to be done well. To do it 1:1 you would need a tv series.

Which is why I mentioned GoT.

Lynch one is GOAT

There's not much demand for it, one of Lynch's complaints when making the movie was that Star Wars ate up all the good material. Even if there was demand, there's the issue of format and budget. It could only be done as a television series and would have to be a very expensive television series at that.

What about a 2d animated series

No. Lynch's version is probably the best we're gonna get.

Jodorowsky's version would be interesting to see, but probably also a load of mess.

The editing sucked and some of the effects were subpar (the shields, the navigator folding space, the "ornithopters,"etc.). Some of the acting comes across to me as hokey, too. Other than I still think it's pretty good considering how much critics slammed it. Fortunately, it seems like people have been starting to appreciate it more lately.

Spicediver's fan edit is probably the closest we'll ever come to a truly great Dune movie.

It would never happen. Execs in America have the idea that cartoons are for children. The target audience, 6-11, wouldn't watch it and good luck trying to convince an American television executive that they should make a decently budgeted cartoon for the 18-49s.

Are you kidding, do you not realize what year it is?

Although if they get far enough they'd love asexual immortal Leto and his butch lesbian army of fish-speakers. Yass, Leto, Slay.

All the parts are there for it to be a good movie, but it needs another hour of screentime to work. As is, it's barely comprehensible, and held together on spectacle alone. The costume design and various assets help close the gap, but it's still a bad movie.

Not really. The Fremen are actually pretty mistreated under the Harkonen.

Well, yeah. They kind of are trying to birth the messiah here.

He's a piece in a bigger game. The Spacing Guild and the Padishah Emperor are the ones that set things harder into motion.

dude, netflix. you're right that it wouldn't work on broadcast tv, but on a stream service where it could basically be a 1:1 adaptation, it would absolutely work for an older audience. sure, kids would probably be interested in it because it's animated and realistically have no clue what's going on, but it could be done.

How come people didn't just have bottles of water hanging around to kill sandworms?

It takes more than a bit of water to kill a sandworm. Their body dissolves in it, but I guess it's like acid.

Aren't there bits in the books that cover this? Like worms smashing into water stores and getting away just fine?

Water's ultra-fucking expensive, that's the whole plot

Water is scarce on Arrakis to the point that the Fremen extract it from feces and dead people. They don't exactly have that shit on taps.

I couldn't get through a book because of this

Can anybody post a link to a stream or a torrent or MEGA or something? I can't seem to find anything substantial about this cut. I found the fan-edit page ifdb.fanedit.org/dune-1984-the-alternative-edition/ , but that doesn't provide any links. I even went on reddit and all their links were down.

Nevermind, I found something. Don't know if it's the latest one: 7a9c12bb2dec448fe3a1d0e2641e16c7a8e158b1

i've got a copy of the spicediver edit on my comp, it's the latest/final version

This one seems to be the latest one from what I understand.
Redux, 2012, 178 min.