I didn't find this creepy

Is it all the parodies or because i'm desensitized to the gore, but i didn't find this move creepy. It's just a father trying to kill his family.

Other urls found in this thread:

vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantreport/mysterious-case-elisa-lam/
youtube.com/watch?v=JnOAtVHr9AU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're just dead inside user, nbd tbh

Ghosts and other spooky things aside, yes. But it's the convincing acting that makes it scary.

what meme is this now fam

that's why stephen king hated it. He couldn't get his autist hands all over the project to make it "creepy" enough. It's a better movie for it.

Thank god King eventually had time to make a proper version.

It was belivable, I have a hard time getting scared of movies unless they're referencing something disturbing.

The last movie that genuinely scared me to the point of not being able to sleep was eyes wide shut. Only because it had an interpretation to do with mkultra and secret sects. A move whistle blowing a mindcontrolling secret sect then having the director die five days later is scary.

The Stephen king tv series of the shinning had hilarious bush animals.

It's the claustrophobic environment and isolation that should bother you. Jack isn't supposed to be scary in a shallow, Michael Myers/Jason Voorhees sort of way.

Being trapped together with a murderous maniac who may be posessed or just insane in a spooky desterted Hotel on the top of a frozen Mountain isn't disturbing?

There is no real life connection and even if it was based off real events it's an easily explained crime. Unless i was actually going to die or had survived it would effect me.

vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantreport/mysterious-case-elisa-lam/
youtube.com/watch?v=JnOAtVHr9AU
2013 death predicted in a 2005 movie. Except despite having an prophetic reference to an impossible death it's actually a bad movie.

It really makes you think.

It's hilarious. Jack Nicholson's over the top performance is great.

Kubrick's The Shining is one of the very few films that I think is equally funny as it is a great horror film.

I didn't say it was creepy or scary, because it's not, but it's a wonderful horror film because of the pacing, the acting, and overall cinematography and score.

Horror is particularly tricky to express nowadays, in film or in written works because of all of our distractions nowadays.

Immersion is really hard. It not only requires effort on part of the viewer, but substantial effort on part of the creator.

Take a look at the blair witch project. Great low budget horror film. Now it's pretty much a joke, you have to deliberately tune everything out and it's still not better than the cinematic experience in combination with the ARG, or whatever you'd call it, shaping your expectations when you went into it.

The Shining is good horror as film, but it's kind of a joke now. Especially when you don't take go through the effort to immerse yourself, through viewing it on a large screen and shutting everything off and so on.

There's nothing paranormal about this at all. She's just nuts.

oh i remember this
that's some creepy shit

no, there was definitely someone else
at 2:28 you can clearly see someone else's foot walking away with her

I had the same problem with The Exorcist

my friend's gf was freaking the fuck out, but I was just like "Come on, I've seen a dozen parodies of every single scene in this movie"

same thing for me with games of thrones

This.

This.

Thix

/thread (or, more properly, op's tumblr post)

you must be new here dot jay peg

What gore? It's all about the Overlook Hotel. The movie would be equally scary if the characters were invisible.

you can similarly reduce most good and nuanced stories to a one liner like this. "fargo is just some dumb cops looking for dumb killers."

the setting and tone were the stars of the movie. just the way it was shot made you believe this massive, empty hotel had some weird shit lurking inside of it. you're not watching a father try to kill his family, you're watching a bad man slowly lose his mind and be seduced by sinister ghosts. they're like his twisted conscience turning him against his family.

well gee nigger, i guess everyone is wrong and insane except for you.

This is the movie that taught me what a furry was and I've hated furries ever since. Kill all furries. Deny them the right to live. It's the only sane option.

Look at this faggot criticizing acting by Jack Nichoson, selected among a hundred takes by Stanley Kubrick!

MORE LIKE BRUTALLY SHIT AMIRITE GUYS AHAHAHAHA

i hope you are pointing out shelly duvall and not jack nicholson, cause this scene is a great example of how amazing he was in this movie.

although as i watched it again, what i originally thought was wooden acting seemed to be more of a constantly-tense wife walking on eggshells and trying to keep up an act. a lot of her screaming later on was over the top but overall this scene looks like her trying to talk to a gorilla that has her by the ankle and i think it works well.

this is occurring more and more among the millennials; why? it's like they can't understand abstraction, symbolism, or empathy. is it some form of wide-spread autism?

It's the inability to hang on to a thought for longer than a few seconds. Everything needs to be spelled out loud and clear, underlaid with loud music and flashy lights.

I think it's connected to the rising levels of autism in the USA.

Fucking moron, people with autism hate loud music and flashy lights.

lol. anyway autism is a wide-ranging disorder, it's wrong to state that they "all" do a certain thing or dislike a certain thing.

Once again:
And once again you're a fucking moron.

got sucks nigger dicks

All of Kubrick's films are 'funny + theme', it's supposed to make you laugh at the ridiculous scene/acting but it manages to be horrifying at the same time, 'funny + horror' makes the whole moment hysterical but thanks to the superb acting (as in 'how that moment should've been properly acted') it manages to hold your suspense of disbelief just enough to make you feel exactly as you would if Jack Nicholson was coming at you like that in real life.

How old are you OP?
When I watched it for the first time I was around 15 and didn't find it creepy at all.
I watched it again when I was thirty and found it extremely disturbing.

I think it has something to do with what the evil in the movie represents, a couple falling apart, blaming the child for their inadequacies, wanting to kill the child etc.
There are some scenes I now find very horrifying, like the bathroom scene, that made no impression to me during my first viewing.

The first time you see it you're not thinking 'meh, it's a movie', you're feeling exactly the way you would in such a situation.

hehe

I like your answer the best, like how people couldn't sleep after seeing dracula, but people see it as very tame and slow now.

It's also a pretty silly movie now.

yeah, that deduction wasn't fair.

It's not a millennials thing, the 80s generation complained about how late 90s early 2000 sitcoms were to wacky to get into, 3rd rock from the sun, subrina the teenage witch.

I personally love fantasy, but horror never works with me in exoteric movie form, and even less as a fantasy horror, even if i like the movie like pan's labyrinth.

Although my favorite movie is a fantasy horror movie based on exaggerated realistic themes, video drome.

I'm 26 and i watched it when i was 24, i think.
There was this comical bird movie called dark skiles and the trailer made it look like a comedy, but then i saw this mom review it and talk about how her having a family made it scary for her. So maybe it's not for my age demographic.

This was the trailer btw

Pick one.

ADHD, ADD, Autism, lead poisoning, MKULTRA, Jewish tricks, all of the above.

That's her foot, retard.

hehe