WHY IS HAN SOLO'S DEATH SO UNDERWHELMING IN THE FORCE AWAKENS?

WHY IS HAN SOLO'S DEATH SO UNDERWHELMING IN THE FORCE AWAKENS?

IT'S ALL THERE "ON PAPER," RIGHT? THE MOST BELOVED CHARACTER OF A SERIES. HIS SON BEING THE ONE TO KILL HIM. IT ECHOES THE GRIM, MEANINGFUL MOMENT IN THE FIRST MOVIE. IT SHOULD PLAY LIKE GANGBUSTERS, RIGHT? WELL, WHEN IT HAPPENED IN HULK'S THEATER THE AUDIENCE DID NOT GASP. THEY DID NOT GET SAD. THEY MOSTLY LOOKED AROUND AT EACH OTHER CONFUSED (THIS WAS ONE OF THE OPENING SCREENINGS WITH A DIE HARD FAN BASE, BTW). THE MOMENT JUST REALLY FAILS SPECTACULARLY.

WHY IS THAT?

WELL A LOT OF REASONS. SOME OF IT IS THE AWKWARD LIGHTING / STAGING (SERIOUSLY, WHAT GIVES?), THEN COMES ALL THESE ODD VISUAL AND PACING CUES TO LET US KNOW IT'S TOTALLY COMING. BUT THAT'S JUST TEXTURAL STUFF: WHY DOES IT NOT EVEN WORK ON A BASIC DRAMATIC LEVEL?

IT'S BECAUSE WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT HAN AND KYLO'S RELATIONSHIP.

WE MAY COME TO UNDERSTAND A LITTLE ABOUT IT OVER THE COURSE OF THE MOVIE, BUT WE DON'T CARE ABOUT IT. AND WHEN IT COMES TO DRAMATIC DEATH, YOU HAVE TO CARE.

Other urls found in this thread:

birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/06/28/star-wars-the-force-alluded-to
youtu.be/LLE0QXytO6w?t=195
change.org/p/kathleen-kennedy-make-this-orlando-lgbt-victim-into-a-star-wars-character
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

THINK ABOUT WHY THE OBI-WAN DEATH WORKS IN THE ORIGINAL MOVIE. THINK ABOUT HOW WE GOT TO SEE LUKE AND OBI-WAN COME TOGETHER FOR THE ENTIRE RUNNING TIME. THINK ABOUT THE NATURE OF OBI-WAN'S SACRIFICE. THINK ABOUT LUKE'S ANGRY REACTION TO THE MOMENT AND FIRING OF THE BLASTER. THINK ABOUT HOW HE CONTEMPLATES ON THE LOSS AFTER HE'S GONE. THINK ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT MAKES THAT MEANINGFUL TO HIM, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, TO US. WE ACTUALLY CARED DEEPLY FOR THEIR RELATIONSHIP, AS THIS WAS THE FIRST EMPOWERING FATHER FIGURE LUKE HAS REALLY HAD.

BUT WITH HAN AND HIS SON BEN, WE JUST GET ACTORS TELLING US WHY IT MATTERS IN THE MOMENT, INSTEAD OF SEEING ANYTHING MORE. UGH, IT'S ALMOST AS IF WE HAVE THIS WHOLE IDIOM IN STORYTELLING ABOUT SHOWING NOT TELLING. INSTEAD, WE JUST GET SOME ALLUSIONS TO THEIR PAST RELATIONSHIP. MERE LIP SERVICE THAT WE HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED AS AN AUDIENCE. WE HAVEN'T GOTTEN TO SEE THEIR RELATIONSHIP GET TORN APART. WE HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN ANY REAL BUILD UP TO THIS MOMENT EITHER. EVEN THE MOVIE'S RELYING ON OUR LOVE OF HAN IS MOSTLY RUSHED THROUGH. HIS SCENES SETTLE ON THIS WINKING AFFECTATION THAT SHOWCASES NO REAL PATHOS OR AS HULK CONSTANTLY IS SAYING "DOING THE WORK." AND UNLIKE OBI-WAN, THERE'S NO REAL CONSCIOUS SACRIFICE BEING PLAYED IN THE SCENE. HE'S PUTTING HIMSELF OUT ON A LIMB TO TALK TO HIS SON, WITH NO DRAMATIC SET UP TO HIS LOSS OTHER THAN A DULL FEELING THAT IT'S ABOUT TO HAPPEN.

THUS, YOU HAVE THE DEATH OF ONE OF THE MOST BELOVED CHARACTERS IN CINEMATIC HISTORY AND IT FEELS LIKE IT "JUST HAPPENS."

THE MOMENT IS EXEMPLARY OF EVERYTHING PROBLEMATIC IN THIS MOVIE. "IT JUST HAPPENS."

birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/06/28/star-wars-the-force-alluded-to

👌

Because The MarySue Awakens is like poetry.

Because they also tried to do "Luke I am your father [paraphrase]" at the same time?

Becuse it felt like Ford just wanted to play Solo for the last time?

Hey do you have the rant that one guy went on about the Avengers? The only part I really remember is that he claimed the writer or director only put in the Hulk x Black Widow romance because of that gif of Hulk buttfucking her.

Maestro James Cameron hates TFA.

youtu.be/LLE0QXytO6w?t=195

Because it was spoiled for you and you knew it was coming.

…does anyone have that .gif on them?

Better question is "Why is the Force Awakens so underwhelming?"

Because it's Star Wars in name only. TFA is what you get when you listen to fanboys, you get bullshit.

The best thing about it is how much it makes you appreciate the prequels.

Because anyone who knows anything about storytelling knew that they were either going to kill Luke or Han in this movie. There was nothing surprising about it. If they really wanted to get a reaction they should have surprised us and killed of R2D2 or Chewie or something.

I don't think fanboys were asking for TFA. They're probably too cucked to criticize it, but TFA is really just IV retold with more diversity.

It was fun the one time I watched it, but I don't need to see again. At least the prequels are interesting bad.

They just wanted a movie that evokes the feeling of the OT

what did he mean by this?

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND BUY THE DVD

Here you go m8.

They spent only one day together (maybe even less) and we knew nothing about Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship until the prequels.

He cared more about an unknown old guy than his uncle and aunt. It was stupid.

It felt like a robots interpretation of what made Star Wars good. It tries to go big but gets lost in the little new details it provides. Other than being a carbon copy of previous Star Wars movie, the action scenes felt forced. They were there to just give you an action beat.

There are few scenes that stand out if you've watched The Force Awakens and they stand out in how badly executed they are. How about Rey not wanting to hold hands at the beginning during an attack with Finn and it isn't revealed until later is that it was because of abandonment issues? How about Finn not even trying to talk his former comrades to join his side. The detail of brainwashing that Phasma? talked about that all the stromtroopers went through. Nope, Finn be slaughtering them because "it's the right thing to do". How about Phasma not even imprisoning Finn or having him monitored after showing signs of breaking this powerful brainwashing after witnessing a village slaughtered? How about the scenes where anonymous bounty hunters calling the Empire and the place gets attacked because of it? This happened twice, three times if you count the beginning scene but noone was shown as the one to point for that villages destruction. They better be getting paid beforehand or told to go to a safe place because those places get annihiliated when they get called over. They must surely be getting space twitter feeds that calling the Empire ends with a place raze to the ground since they seem to easily keep track of the Empires blatant actions.

The Force Awakens is hollow and barely stands on it's own and more so that it's a sequel. It's a basic good vs. evil story told in plot synopsis. Unless I missed it the first and second time, I'm sure they barely told how The Empire and Republic got into the situation that they did because the VI movie kind of ends on a happy note. 50 years is a long time and things can change but the movie should provide what happened between that time as naturally as possible to give the story more context. But this is the same movie where they say that 50 years can make basic facts that are part of the franchise's background story seem like legends so it's hard to expect much.

No he did not. He showed as much grief for them as he did for Obiwan, and he showed that much for Obiwan because he just lost his only mentor not long after losing his uncle and aunt. That's added weight onto the situation. Strong enough to move on toward helping the rebellion after the death of his uncle and aunt, but staggered by yet another loss hours (or days) later.

I wonder what the sauce of that .gif is.

"The Avengers"

I would say there was nothing about Harrison Ford in that movie that made him Han Solo. He was Harrison Ford, a crochety old man.

Han Solo's arc in the trilogy was a smuggler cynic who joins a cause, finds love, and believes in something bigger than himself.

In episode VII he's a deadbeat father who decided to become a smuggler again for some reason, who left Leia for unknown reasons and who isn't a hotshot pilot anymore.

He didn't even have the same friends. He was friends with that orange asian creature who turned a stone temple into a bar. It might have made sense for him to go see, say, Lando (and wouldn't it make sense for Lando to have the fucking lightsaber?) so we know it's even the same guy.

Who else wants to see Kylo Ren train and actually become stronger than Mary sue?
At least in the second movie, before he is beaten again and maybe turned to the light side.

I hope he will have some redeeming qualities or have it somehow be explained why he is such a whiny emo edgelord.

Like I would actually accept him being gay and being in a hate-fucking relationship with that young blonde general dude. That would make it even hilarous and somehow explain why that fucker killed his father.

Btw the reason for why this doesn't have any emotional impact is because we have no idea what their relationship were like or how he turned evil.

There is no sense of betrayal. It's only an edgy faggot being edgy.

I hope Kylo Ren's training is fucking insane and shown in minute detail. Wilderness survival, near death experiences, befriending a companion only to be forced to kill him at the end, all that Sith stuff.

Kylo Ren could have been the best thing about TFA if the story started with him training under Luke and eventually falling to the dark side. The prequels showed us that there's plenty of reasons to look at being a chaste, emotionless, no fun allowed monk and say "fuck that". But then again, why would Luke reconstruct the Jedi Order exactly like it was? Luke could have taken a looser approach, and that might have created more problems than it solved.

Snoke was completely unnecessary, once Kylo cut his ties with Luke he should have been completely on his own, a vagrant who's being hunted by his former classmates. That would give him the opportunity to piece together Sith history and do some soul-searching, starting with his shallow fanboy obsession with Vader developing into a more complex understanding of him and ending with a pilgrimage to Korriban (or something like it). Instead of the Empire trying to destroy or corrupt the last Jedi, it would be the New Republic trying to destroy or purify the only known Dark Jedi.

I agree with everything, except killing your companion. That is too predictable. I like the other side of the dark force being explored with siths giving into their emotions.

So what's wrong with him having a SO or a friend? It's just a bit boring to me, if they always act like complete assholes.

I love this user. Only problem is that you're too creative.

The very problem with the Force Awakens is that it's a sequel. And if you watch a few of hollywood's sequels, then you recongize that they are literally copying the story of the original and telling it again. Taken 1 - 3. All the same premise. Dude rescues his daughter.

So what would a hollywood star wars sequel look like? You have an evil empire. You have the resistance, etc. They basically copied the original star wars with this movie.

I really haven't accepted properly that this is how hollywood acts. It just infuriates me everytime I see shit like that. It's so retarded and uncreative.

That said I hope that maybe the star wars license gets opened to some talented directors who make standalone spinoff movies.
Meaning maybe a whole movie from the perspective of a bounty hunter. A stormtrooper Or a jedi-outcast. What you suggested.

I think the worst thing about kylo ren is that it is a complete bastardization of the jacen solo/ darth caedus storyline.

instead of the young jedi knight trying to use the darkside for good by uniting the galaxy, only to be slowly corrupted and commit atrocities like killing mara jade and eventually being killed by his twin sister with the help of Luke skywalker.

but no we get some pretty boy edgelord I fucking hate disney

bookfag

I hope they give him some personality in the next movie, but what the hell … I doubt it.

If mary sue is going to beat him again, then what are they going to do in the third movie?

You're right on.

Rey already did the full arc: she defeated the dark apprentice and spared his life. She passed the dark side test. She did the hardest part of being a Jedi.

No temptation to the dark side will be credible, and her rematch with Kylo Ren will not be an event with any stakes involved.

The next movie will be incredibly boring because of this.

I mean … it doesn't have to be.

what he said about Kylo's training

that would be a very nice deconstruction of a trope and would make him interesting

I almost want to see Kylo Ren training too much. I will just be disappointed in the second movie, if they don't do that.

You're right. I guess with that, I was thinking more in the realm of mindfucks, causing huge mental and emotional strain to alter Kylo's whole worldview. A better way to think about that could be to put it in terms of when Luke fought that hallucination of Vader on Dagobah. Instead of defeating the evil inside him like Luke did, Kylo's evil overwhelms him. It could be an extended bad-trip LSD sequence where Kylo is "killed" and has the extremely terrifying experience of knowing exactly what it feels like to die (something akin to ego death while on psychedelics), or it could be something more simple and compact, but that would have to rely on better characterization to really make an impact.

I guess there's echoes of what I'm talking about in him killing Han Solo, trying to shed his former self and fully embrace the dark side, but like this thread pointed out the audience isn't there with him, with either of them because we don't have enough knowledge and haven't spent enough time with them. Even then, there's a sense that Kylo only killed Han because it was something he was supposed to do, like he learned about Vader and the only thing he got out of it was:
and he's just going down the list, copying Vader without understanding how these things relate to the dark side. That makes him even more susceptible to Rey bringing him to the light side, he's just such a fucking idiot kid. He's eventually going to mature and have an "oh shit why the fuck did I do that" moment. Some people regret doing stupid impulsive things as a teen like drunk driving. Kylo murdered his dad, not even because he wanted to, but because of peer pressure from a hologram of a pasty manlet. I predict the people who write 8 will have a hell of a time trying to make up a good reason why Kylo fell to the dark side, because right now all signs point to "Because Darth Vader was so cool and strong!" which ignores the fact that the Jedi who defeated Vader and Sidious at the same time, not through fighting but through talking, is standing right there and wants to teach you shit.

Too much grammar to be the real hulk, this must be Jew Hulk

change.org/p/kathleen-kennedy-make-this-orlando-lgbt-victim-into-a-star-wars-character

FILM CRIT HULK?

that would actually be pretty cool

it sucks because kylo ren was an awful villain and his actions made absolutely no sense.

"lol imma edgelord so I'm gonna stab you dad ;_;"

Avatar was just as bad and just about as anti-white as TFA.

And you aren't even memeing.

No, it was a misanthropic film and it was fucking dope. Suck a dick, JJ, you have no imagination.

Avatar was shit. It has almost as little imagination as TFA does. They're both just inferior rip-offs of earlier works.

Because he already looked dead inside.

Its visuals were much better done which seemed like Cameron's main issue. Lucas constantly was trying to come up with new ideas to put on screen same as Cameron has done, but JJ just went with the idea of shoving in as much old stuff as possible so that you could go on a nostalgia ride.

Reminder: Film Crit Hulk is a feminist cuck.

That worked to the detriment of the prequels though. Lucas went fucking overboard. For all the things TFA did wrong, it at least had a decent show of lightsaber fights that weren't over the top retarded CGI shitfests.

Kill yourself, lightsabers are weightless. The fight in TFA was boring bullshit, they may as well have been swinging around baseball bats.

The main thing to remember is that the audience has no reason to suspect Kylo Ren can be redeemed.

They SAY he has conflict. But in actions he orders the deaths of dozens of civilians, tortures a captured enemy, and destroys a lot of expensive shit on a tantrum. He didn't even say he felt bad about that shit, just that he had a vague call to the light.

So even if Ben stopped wearing all black, he'd still be the same douche. Darth Vader did a lot of the same shit and way worse, but the point of Vader is that you aren't supposed to buy his redemption. Everyone but Luke says he can't be redeemed and even Vader spends a good 20 minutes calling the idea retarded. When he does it it's a last possible minute thing that kills him, because Vader can't live without answering for his shit so he needs to die for dramatic effect.

Kylo Ren needs to die for the same reason. He can not live through the trilogy as a good guy without answering for not only the deaths of the jedi, but dozens of innocent people. He can't do that without being the new hero. But he can't do that without someone else to lightsaber duel since there's no other saber guys even in the knights of Ren.

The only way that would work is if Rey turned evil. But that would be nonsensical, because Rey has no motivation to turn evil. So you'd need the entire second movie in the trilogy to set up the third. Because the first didn't set up jack shit properly.