Watching Netflix at friend's house on high-def TV

Why does every movie look like they were filmed by the same camera, without any filters at a really fast framerate? Because the image quality is so high and realistic I found all the movies look amateurish. It's hard to describe but movies need some sort of filter; I don't want them to look like HD documentaries…

Does anyone know wtf I'm talking about?

Other urls found in this thread:

hometheaterreview.com/what-is-soap-opera-effect-and-how-to-make-it-go-away/
youtube.com/watch?v=Rd--qi85IRc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No. No I do not.

Yes. Thought i was the only one autistic enough to dislike it.

that effect means usually the tv is too big for the room

if you're only six feet away you dont need a 50 inch screen, it makes viewing uncomfortable

Yeah there should be a setting to turn that off on the TV.

Because they were all filmed with the latest cameras and movie equipment. What kind of question is that?

Yeah. Turn off all "motion enhancing" options on the TV or everything is going to look like the Young and the Restless.

no they weren't, I looked at some older movies and they look the same.

ill try that ty

Sorry OP. I have no clue what you are talking about sadly

It's actually a pretty common phenomenon OP, we have more or less a century of films we've all grown up with. Films typically have this distant quality to them that makes them feel larger than life, I don't know how to explain it.

A combination of being used to the other way, and the HD digital stuff being more commonly used by low budget amateur productions is very jarring, to a lot of people. See I first started seeing HD stuff with talk shows and local news, so when they started filming episodes of shows I watched (Lexx comes to mind) in digital it just looked really cheap. The first time it really distractingly bothered me was that Johnny Depp movie where he played a gangster, not the recent one, I think it was called like "public enemy" or something.

A notable recent example was the Hobbit films, if you go watch the RedLetterMedia episode on the first film they're both complaining about it just looking weird because it was filmed in HD at a slightly different framerate.

I saw the first and second in 2D so I didn't really notice, but the third one I ended up seeing in 3D and it was really shocking how terrible it looked and felt to me, I'm not sure if I can properly explain it. It simultaneously felt more expensive, cheaper, more real and faker.

Any scene with only a few actors the fact that 99% of what was on screen was CG was just much more apparent, particularly the scene where Smaug is shot with the arrow. Everyone's make up looks cheaper and more obvious in 3D/HD, there's a scene where they all wash up on shore that just felt absolutely awful. The whole film gave me like an amusement park haunted house/Universal Studios CG rollercoaster/a bunch of dorks on a stage at a renaissance fair vibe.

It's because digital is shit. Film is still master race like vinyl is with music. Not being a hipster, it's true. High quality film still has better image quality than digital.

This is why we need good Net Neutrality laws.

the left's answer to every problem

that's the digital "look", high frame rate makes some movie magic look really obvious, lighting in particular

I know that exact feel bro.

It really makes you think.

Are you me?

In the latest X-Men you can see the Spirit gum on all the hairlines of the actors wearing wigs.
You can see the edges of the contacts they are wearing, as well as their real teethe, behind the fake teethe.

Apocalypse looked worse than WISHMASTER 3 twenty years ago.

Bluepills get out. Net Neutrality would give power and jurisdiction over all of the internet to the FCC. The real freedom on the internet to be found is outside of government control.

I believe you mean liberty.

VHS was always more comfy. Remember when you had to wait for it to tape back? And after a while seeing like blurry lines sometimes running over the tv because the tape was getting old and used?

Good times.

However, digital video. High definition or whatever it's name is, completely kills any type of mystery/horror-show for me.

It kills the suspense and the atmosphere in the movie/tv-series.

Like a dream.

They're already got a handle on how to use HD though. Attack of the Clones was the first big digital movie and compare how it looks to ROTS which was released 3 years after.

You're all garbage.

Record the films onto VHS then.

Put your autism away.

Modern TV's have a frame blending effect which can make any movie look more like a soap opera. It can be pretty comical with some movies.

More accurate version

Your friend is a nigger and deserves to be shot. There's a setting to turn it off.

Yes

youtube.com/watch?v=Rd--qi85IRc

Films should be watched at 20FPS or lower at 15Hz and a maximum of 240i

Sounds like something a small tv user would claim.

I thought I was the only one. I just googled it, and it's called the "Soap Opera Effect."

Who does that? Seriously, tell us more OP. Was it a girlfriend? Drug dealer? The only people you should be sitting watching tv with is family and girls you're screwing or trying to screw.

Nice banter m8. Enjoy your smeared movies.

Vhs was a shit format if you wanted the best presentation quality back in the day. LDs were annoying to turn over but they had chapter skips and extra features, all the while VHS looked shitty by comparison. And once DVDs came don't act like you didn't think it was awesome not having to rewind anything and that you could access shit from a menu.

VHS a shit.

ya it looks like shit.

it looks like instead of a film camera, they are recording with a documentary camera, about how the movie was made.

Is it only the interpolation, or would you get the same effect if you used a film camera with a higher framerate? I do not know anything about cinematography so I don't know if that is possible