Captain's Log

Captain's Log

what the fuck is a stardate anyway? why not just use regular fucking dates

Because different planets have different lengths of year and day. And they may have no moons or more than one moon. It's pretty irrelevant what time it is on Earth when you're several systems away. Also, traveling at near- and above-light speed distorts time, which makes it even less relevant.

Yes but Star Fleet avoids relativistic issues by using warp drives and subspace communications.

A warp drive warps space around you so it skirts relativity.

star trek doesnt acknowledge relativistic time dilation, at all. so that part of your explanation is bullshit.

as for standardizing time they reference hours, minutes, seconds, days all the goddamned time. every fucking time they ask data how long its going to take to get somewhere.

so dont give me that bullshit either.

there is no reason they cant use earth dates in space no matter how far away they are from earth

Impulse drives are probably close enough to light speed to cause relativistic issues

I don't think they'd use them if that were the case.

But it must be. In The Best of Both Worlds for example they only use warp to the edge of the solar system and then it only takes a several hours of Impulse tops to make it to Earth. It takes light from the sun 5.3 hours to reach Pluto, thus Full Impulse Engine thrust must be practically light speed.

it doesnt matter anyway star trek never acknowledges relativistic time dilation. if it did, every time they returned from a six month trip everything else would have aged 1000 years

No nothing would have aged 1000 years because as already pointed out, Warp Engines don't cause relativistic issues because it "warps" space and the ship is able to move faster than light by riding inside of the distortion.

(flushing noises)

Chief of Operations log. Fucking Cardies. End of log.

JUST

You know, that guy was a fucking cunt. Frank Gorshin was a superior human.

What about impulse?

I got the impression that full impulse was pretty darn fast - sub light for sure, and probably limited by the influences of gravitational wells, but pretty fast.

Which is why they usually go only 1/4 or 1/2 impulse around planets and shit.

I don't remember where I read it, but I think full impulse is supposed to be roughly 0.25c.

That sounds about right.

Then how are they able to travel to the center of a solar system so quickly with Impulse?

Dude, 0.25c is a quarter the speed of light.

Yes and I said in The Best of Both Worlds it seems like they can make it from Pluto to Earth in several hours when at a quarter the speed of light it would take them over 20 hours. Are you suggesting Riker let the Federation fleet get pummeled by the Borg for almost a day straight while they leisurely traveled at one quarter light speed to the battle?

continuity in star trek was never really a priority

especially after jj took over - in the first movie they go straight to warp while still orbiting earth… something in my gut tells me that warping spacetime inside a gravity well is pretty bad idea

I think they can use warp in solar systems, it's just dangerous as fuck.

In The One With the Whales, they enter warp while still in atmosphere, so I can't really fault Abrams for that.

Never mind, I reread what you said about the edge of the solar system.

I guess you're right about it being close to light speed but is right about continuity, especially concerning distance, time and velocity.

I wonder if you can warp OUT of a solar system but not INTO a solar system.

kek, why is that one the highest grossing Star Trek film again? It's probably my least favorite of the TOS films.

Because it's super comfy and more of a fish-out-of-water (lol) tale than a Trek movie.

You know Stardate was used in TOS, which predated Memory Alpha dot com and all the fan autism? In the original series, they didn't bother to set a specific year for the series to take place in and just said it was future humans on some unknown date. I don't think they established a calendar year until the TNG episode where they unfroze humans from the past, and Data told them it was like the 2300s. Then people went back and reconstructed the timeline in terms of calendar years. Years make it dumb anyways because everyone knows that 2300s aren't far enough away for the race wars to be settled and human societies to coalesce successfully into global Marxism.

However, I've noticed that they are obviously still operating on the 24-hour clock, probably due to human biology. The senior officers seem to work mostly on the same schedule–the exceptions that prove the rule are when one or two officers have a bit of privacy due to everyone else having gone to bed. There must be some kind of residue of earth-based calendars, too, like I'm guessing that young Wesley or Nog could enroll in Starfleet Academy only during a certain part of the earth year. Assuming stardate doesn't align evenly with earth calendar, then it would be awkward to define an annual event in stardate. If you wanted to say that Starfleet Academy accepts applications every year from December through March, then instead of saying "every year, from December through March" you would have to give the stardate date range for each individual year.

The clock thing is funny and comparable to the modern world now. The Jews have been changing the dates to say B.C.E and C.E. You know, because they hate Jesus and want to erase all existence of him and destroy the goy. The problem is that the dividing line between B.C.E and C.E is still the birth of Christ!

Jesus was born in AD you retarded fuck. Rome was well into it's Empire phase when he was born.

please be trolling…

A.D. stands for Anno Domini, latin for "in the year of our lord"

1 AD literally means the first year after christ was born

There are no relativistic consequences in star trek. Thank you and get out now.

Imageboards were a mistake.

It's Libertarianshit.

Star Trek isn't real you nerds.

I get around that by calling it Before Christian Era and Christian Era

The future!

Historical Jesus was probably born later than 0 AD

yes, he was born in 1 AD, because there is no zero

I'm pretty sure impulse drives are supposed to work on a sub-lightspeed model of warp drive that bends space to move the ship around, the ship basically is falling when it moves. I think I remember deflector shields also have some similar tech, for defensive purposes.

Remember that time dilation also isn't a major factor until you approach very close to light speed. 99% of light speed doesn't even have all that crazy of a distortion.

Regardless, star trek does completely it ore relativistic consequences pretty much all of the time unless there is a specific plot that happens to temporarily remember it. But a date separated from a specific planet would still be useful if you are in a federation of multiple planets, and even small time dilation affects (which star trek ignores) would still throw off a conventional date and time system between worlds.

Memory Alpha says Impulse Engines work via a relatively basic Fusion Reactor to create thrust, nothing about manipulating the fabric of space that I could see.

it's right in the goddamned name

{\displaystyle J=\int F\,\mathrm {d} t}

fug when did we lose tex formatting

impulse is a total change in momentum over time, there would be no spacetime warp it would be a conventional engine

It does say something vague about creating a subspace field which improves propulsion but it's previously described as

So basically even the super trekkies at Memory alpha don't know.

It was the intentionally funniest.

Star Trek has always been shit. The best sci-fi comes from NASA.

its funny because i just started playing Star Trek Bridge Commander and one of the very first things they say is to drop out of warp at the outer edge of a solar system for safety reasons

How's the gameplay? I'm getting bored with KOTOR lately, and can't get invested in online games because moving in a few weeks

later than that even

How would you measure stardates? Do some UNIX time shit when you measure seconds since warp tech developed? What what about other races then, since they might not use seconds? And at all this, why decimals? What if a race uses octal or 9-base or 3-base or some other system that we can't even understand?

but it's fun pretending.

or perhaps you dont make it an issue at all and just use NORMAL dates